Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Boat Stuck posted:

Can someone give me the TLDR on why people are angry about Genshin (again)?

Is it because HSR got a free 5 star and Genshin didn't?

There was a CN livestream where the guy said something like “to appreciate all of your support we hope you enjoy the three extra pulls we are giving you this lantern rite”. For some reason CN players were surprised by stingy rewards and mass unfollowed Hoyo on their socials. Hoyo responded something like “we will reevaluate how we communicate about rewards in the future (lol) and will revisit what the rewards will be”.

I think most of the drama is since CN is the one complaining. We all know they won’t do poo poo if global players aren’t happy but last time they saw this much from CN players it was during Zhongligate which resulted in the only direct buff of a unit. Well except for bunnygate but that was HI3 so not directly applicable here.

People need to fill out their ten minutes of drama videos so mention Dr Ratio in HSR. And yes I think genshin will players might still be salty about that but idk if it’s totally tied into the CN backlash since it seemed to be more the tone of how they said they were giving three pulls, like three pulls for three years of support or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I finally stumbled onto a video for it and one of the major draws on the slides was "3 Aquainted Fates for 3 Years of Genshin" which really is funny, both because it's completely pitiful and because they decided to put it on a slide with the important things in Lantern Rites. I honestly do not care one way or the other how many free wishes they give out, if I cared that much I'd just buy them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think its fair to criticize the game for being insanely stingy tbh. some people milk it for drama but also, at this point they would not lose a single cent if they were more generous.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

IIRC the last time this happened they were going to sell that music related bundle or whatever with the music glider but ended up just giving out for free? Maybe the plans to sell it as a bundle first were just a rumor, i'm not sure.

e:unrelated

https://twitter.com/xinzoruo/status/1750449176733704324

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
It is 2024 and I just managed to get the editorial opinion cheevo and the following quest. Praise Yae!

Tampa Bae posted:

I finally stumbled onto a video for it and one of the major draws on the slides was "3 Aquainted Fates for 3 Years of Genshin"

To be fair, that's some top level trolling.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i think its fair to criticize the game for being insanely stingy tbh. some people milk it for drama but also, at this point they would not lose a single cent if they were more generous.
The game is weirdly stingy in general. Like, when you hit AR 60, you're awarded 100 companionship points. You make more than that just doing your dailies; WTF kind of reward is that for the months of effort it takes to reach that level?! It would cost MHY literally nothing to raise that to 1000 points, and it would leave the player feeling more satisfied and psychologically invested in the game.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

rio posted:

I think most of the drama is since CN is the one complaining. We all know they won’t do poo poo if global players aren’t happy but last time they saw this much from CN players it was during Zhongligate which resulted in the only direct buff of a unit. Well except for bunnygate but that was HI3 so not directly applicable here.

An aspect to this worth consideration is that there is this tug-of-war between the playerbase and hoyo revolving around directly this issue. Hoyo makes direct changes to player feedback like this very, very rarely, because they know if they do it once their playerbase now has empirical proof that they can make them do it again.

Hoyo's problem being, of course, that they already did it once and a few years later there is always this sense that if people can stoke the outrage just high enough they'll make the big company blink. This is not the sole cause of Genshin social media being so reactionary and toxic but is certainly a big contributor.

It's also a evolving situation, because this:

Rabbit Hill posted:

The game is weirdly stingy in general. Like, when you hit AR 60, you're awarded 100 companionship points. You make more than that just doing your dailies; WTF kind of reward is that for the months of effort it takes to reach that level?! It would cost MHY literally nothing to raise that to 1000 points, and it would leave the player feeling more satisfied and psychologically invested in the game.

Has been true for a very long time and hoyo was able to get away with it because Genshin was fresh and new and exciting and critically the only game in town. None of those things are true anymore. As gachas age, generosity becomes far more important both to help retain players and give new players a leg up on progression.

My non-hoyoverse gacha is Granblue Fantasy, one of the granddaddies of the genre that will be celebrating it's 10th anniversary in March; pretty much every year the period from Christmas to Anni is awash in celebration, free rolls, free resources, half-cost content. This is where gacha systems usually end up and with Genshin getting longer in the tooth (alongside Hoyo releasing Star Rail, which they probably want to be a complementary title but is very easy to be viewed as a Direct Competitor instead) they will face more and more pressure to loosen the purse strings a bit.

Whether that pressure does anything of substance is a harder question to answer.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Oh yeah no doubt it's stingy and it could do better but also after three or four years you would think people would just be completely incapable of giving a poo poo anymore. I know I am.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Rabbit Hill posted:

Why would anyone care about this of all things?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Throwing a baby Ganyu into the trailer feels like cheating for approval almost

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

Pretty much, its to the point when it gets tedious and redundant I have issue. When you actually look at it though it is almost comically stingy but I'm not gonna turn around and say they do nothing for this game just cause they didnt give away x number of pulls. Thats just kind of disingenuous, which is what i take issue with with some of the discourse

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Watch them give us a free Amber con to make up for it

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'd finally have C4 and be able to play bunnymelt (I won't actually do this) so they should do that.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Nakar posted:

Oh yeah no doubt it's stingy and it could do better but also after three or four years you would think people would just be completely incapable of giving a poo poo anymore. I know I am.

Yeah, like I'm pretty committed at this point. Sure, I like collecting as many characters as possible, and if they decided to give away more characters or bumped up reward amounts I wouldn't complain, but I'm gonna see this through to the end regardless.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It'll be Dehya

Kale
May 14, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm legit expecting nothing. This is one area they are pretty weirdly tone deaf on

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

I'm legit expecting nothing. This is one area they are pretty weirdly tone deaf on
Probably wise not to teach your playerbase that throwing a tantrum is an effective strategy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Not teaching your playerbase they can influence your decisions is smart. Wisdom would not be making a live service game with a predatory F2P model in the first place.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tampa Bae posted:

3 Aquainted Fates for 3 Years of Genshin

lol they would have pissed off less people if they literally gave nothing

Kale
May 14, 2010

:lol:: Japan really seemed to love baby Ganyu. Peaked at #3 trend earlier there.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

haypliss posted:

Why would anyone care about this of all things?

This was just the first thing that came to mind. I understand the game being parsimonious with its primogem awards, since increasing them could cut into their profits, but it's a mystery to me why it's not more generous with, like, "feel-good" rewards that would take truly no cost or labor to implement.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Korea is an example of what happens when you bend the knee and make changes on internet rage

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Rabbit Hill posted:

This was just the first thing that came to mind. I understand the game being parsimonious with its primogem awards, since increasing them could cut into their profits, but it's a mystery to me why it's not more generous with, like, "feel-good" rewards that would take truly no cost or labor to implement.

Even as a compulsive friendship farmer, I'd think of mora/resin/exp/etc as more impactful resources, certainly more than a couple days shaved off a namecard deadline. But I think everyone is in agreement any reasonable outcome would still be on the low side, whatever they chose to give out.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

mycot posted:

lol they would have pissed off less people if they literally gave nothing

Exactly, and when they said (paraphrasing) “we will change how we communicate regarding rewards” I think that’s what it comes down to. They know they made a mistake, but being stingy wasn’t the mistake. It was wrapping up three pulls into a present when they should have given nothing, or just sent them in the mail without saying anything beforehand.

It is admittedly insulting to give something that is legit close to worthless as a “gift” for three years of time and billions of dollars paid. But there was a sort of apathy built up over it, and purely based on how they said it they activated a shitstorm when it would have been no response otherwise.

Regarding other games generosity going up over time, I think they would follow that gacha trend if it mattered to their bottom line. But it doesn’t really. That’s why they rarely implement QoL features we want or even worse implement something that sounds like what we want but then it’s something so different it doesn’t solve the original issue at all (we want end game>here’s a casual card game, we want loadouts>here’s a system that will practically do practically none of what we wanted).

If they were concerned about their income then maybe they would follow with what other aging gachas do. But realistically Genshin is at the top of spending charts regularly. They don’t *need* to do anything since they have people still throwing cash at them without good rewards, without feeling listened to etc.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
What people are mad about: ?

What people should be mad about: New Ganyu outfit doesn't have her (now canonical) fluffy tail

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hold on, making my clickbait youtube video titled: Did xianyun dock ganyu's tail????!!!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

MoonCrab posted:

What people are mad about : ?

What people should be mad about : New Ganyu outfit doesn't have her (now canonical) fluffy tail
I'm still salty that the second fisticuff-oriented catalyst-user was another dude and not a tiny girl, like Miyako Arima from the classic fighting game Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code. I would definitely have unfollowed their Twitter in protest if I was on Twitter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rabbit Hill posted:

It was the first thing that came to mind as a complaint somebody made, or the first thing that came to mind as something that happened to you?

Because either way it's actually just total bullshit. You don't claim companionship points, in any amount, as rewards for increasing to any adventure rank, including rank 60, and you never have. And they would be terrible rewards for anything you can't ever repeat, because companionship points are wasted on any party members at friendship 10, and what if you accidentally claimed two months' worth of companionship points on a team full of F10s?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Companionship XP is the fakest resource in the game. You cant even map it on a stingy <-> generous index it doesnt do anything it's just a bar players can volunteer to grind.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The new outfits are weak

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Yeah, they should make the new skins better than the base skins. Also make more of them. Also sell me that red KFC glider, just put a price tag on it, why won't you sell it to me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've grown to like Ayaka's skin even with the stupid hat. And I always liked Diluc's. I dont think any of the others are very good (I cant get over that stupid ribbon for klee's).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like the Ayaka's skin because I didn't like her original outfit.

The XQ's new skin is an upgrade for the same reason.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I just know Sumeru Kaeya is looking fabulous offscreen as his icicles rotate around my on-fielder.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I continue to be a big fan of Fischl's outfit, although her original look is good too.

Xingqiu's outfit looks to be a much-appreciated upgrade, to me. I think the others are fine, but I don't really care. I probably wouldn't buy them even if they were amazing, though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I forgot fischl - yeah hers is good too.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Still love Klee's outfit.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I like the witch hat !

Ayaka's is ok, the new event endeared me to it a bit more. It suits her new Finale of the Deep too

If the picker was real outside of china and also free I'd get one of those 2 probably

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lost my 50/50 to Diluc trying to get Raiden cons. Ah well, time to save up for Nahida.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

MoonCrab posted:

I like the witch hat !

Ayaka's is ok, the new event endeared me to it a bit more. It suits her new Finale of the Deep too

If the picker was real outside of china and also free I'd get one of those 2 probably
It is real and all it costs is a brand-new Playstation 5. Of course if that's not enough you can buy a brand-new car to get 125 free pulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Shenhe's skin is great, as is Ning's.