Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

Barely utter Trump's name because he's so disgusted, or because his ancient syphilitic brain is paralyzed and misfiring once again?

wanna see him on camera having to hesitate to say trump's name out of some kind of visceral emotional reaction each time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ms Adequate posted:

Barely utter Trump's name because he's so disgusted, or because his ancient syphilitic brain is paralyzed and misfiring once again?

probably a mix of both. obviously Chuds are chuds. but i am curious if there will be some other deal for ukraine aid since the senate republicans are mostly ok with it. i mean trump will kill it but still curious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably a mix of both. obviously Chuds are chuds. but i am curious if there will be some other deal for ukraine aid since the senate republicans are mostly ok with it. i mean trump will kill it but still curious.
Ukraine aid is DOA in the House

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
WE WANT BORDER SECURITY

Here is a bill that gives money to border security.

NO THAT WOULD MAKE IT LOOK LIKE DEMS ARE DOING SOMETHING. HOW DARE YOU NOT CARE ABOUT THE BORDER.

I hate politics

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s the Grand Bargain thing all over again

In that case the GOP saved Obama from himself

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nash posted:

WE WANT BORDER SECURITY

Here is a bill that gives money to border security.

NO THAT WOULD MAKE IT LOOK LIKE DEMS ARE DOING SOMETHING. HOW DARE YOU NOT CARE ABOUT THE BORDER.

I hate politics

That's been the Republican play book for decades now. Say government doesn't work, then get elected so you can break poo poo and gently caress everything up to prove it doesn't work.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The deal that had been under discussion to trade border/immigration concessions for more funding for Ukraine/Israel funding is apparently dead. This appears to have come from McConnell who believes that this deal would now hurt Trump’s chances in the general.

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1750484746692448438?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

This is almost certainly McConnell covering his own rear end. He's not dropping it because he's worried about hurting Trump, he's dropping it because he's worried the bill won't get enough GOP support, due to Trump openly blasting the bill and encouraging Congressional Republicans to buck their leadership and oppose it. He's framing it this way so it doesn't sound as much like a failure.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

This is almost certainly McConnell covering his own rear end. He's not dropping it because he's worried about hurting Trump, he's dropping it because he's worried the bill won't get enough GOP support, due to Trump openly blasting the bill and encouraging Congressional Republicans to buck their leadership and oppose it. He's framing it this way so it doesn't sound as much like a failure.

Fully agree, I think its clear by now that McConnell despises Trump and wanted Ukraine aid passed months ago. But he's scared of Trump not necessarily for his own seat (though maybe?) but because he will be the nominee and he could inflict massive damage on down-ballot Republicans if he wanted to. And he also knows that Ukraine aid is dead right now in the house anyway.

So, he's making the best of a bad situation, appeasing the big orange baby until his inevitable defeat to try to protect his caucus. If Ukraine is still alive after November, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed a lame duck aid bill right after the election. The rest of NATO is going to have to chip in right now until we can get our own poo poo in order.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The border is pretty much boned until we fix the legal immigration process or people stop wanting to come to America. You can try to militarize the border and that might make it more orderly, but it is just going to result in the pre-2016 status quo of people sneaking across en masse instead of turning themselves in at the border - which is worse both in terms of the journey for the people and also likely to result in more illegal immigrants untracked and unsupported in the U.S. for the people who want to keep them out. Although, I guess it would be a success of stopping videos of huge amounts of people turning themselves in at border crossings if that was your goal.

The main problems with the border right now are:

- The ways to legally get into the U.S. for the sole purpose of making money/improving your quality of life are almost all totally shut out and the few that remain either require an employer sponsor or take 7+ years.

- Claiming asylum will stop you from getting kicked out of the U.S. temporarily, but "my quality of life would be much higher" doesn't qualify for asylum.

- This results in basically everyone claiming asylum because it is the only way to not get turned around right away.

- The asylum process was always slow, but it was also only meant to process groups that are 1/10th the size of them coming across right now.

- Trying to crack down on all the people claiming asylum "just" because it would significantly improve their life or economic situation leads to people with real asylum claims getting massively screwed.

- The asylum process has become the weird de facto official immigration process and it basically encourages people to mass the border and lie, which requires huge amounts of effort to handle and verify.

There are several options you can do:

- Fix the normal immigration process and guest worker/economic green card/H1-B Visa processes. They are currently capped at 85k per year, which is less than 10% of the total demand each year. That will allow more people into the country and take the huge weight off of the asylum process to better handle actual asylum cases.

- Make it basically impossible and horribly punishing to attempt to cross the border illegally or to try and claim asylum unless you have 100% proof and hope that doing this for a period of years will crush demand by making sure you have successful enforcement as high as possible so people think it isn't worth it.

- Massively expand the asylum system to meet capacity and basically just use a really broken and unwieldy system that was not intended for it as the "unofficial official" immigration process.

Several of those things are basically impossible and nobody wants to do all three of them at the same time, so :shrug:. Instead, we just kind of hobble along with an outdated system and every attempt to update it since 1987 (37 years ago!!!) has failed.

Many Republicans just object to the idea of letting more of the "wrong" people into the country, so expanding the legal processes is a non-starter and can't even be negotiated. Most Democrats want to be compassionate and help people in the immediate-term, so the focus has been entirely on asylum-seekers and how to basically use the asylum process for an unintended purpose.

That sort of makes sense in the short-term, but it also hobbles the legal process in the long-term and results in both sides basically just attempting to inefficiently use the asylum process to weaponize their preferred political outcomes at the expense of legal and undocumented immigrants and actual asylum seekers who all get stuck in one inefficient process together because people kind of gave up on comprehensive immigration reform. It also teaches people who want to come to America that they need to use the asylum process and lie instead of going the legal route because the legal process is a complete waste of time unless you have 7-12 years, some money, and a lot patience to gamble that it works out for you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 25, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rigel posted:

Fully agree, I think its clear by now that McConnell despises Trump and wanted Ukraine aid passed months ago. But he's scared of Trump not necessarily for his own seat (though maybe?) but because he will be the nominee and he could inflict massive damage on down-ballot Republicans if he wanted to. And he also knows that Ukraine aid is dead right now in the house anyway.

So, he's making the best of a bad situation, appeasing the big orange baby until his inevitable defeat to try to protect his caucus. If Ukraine is still alive after November, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed a lame duck aid bill right after the election. The rest of NATO is going to have to chip in right now until we can get our own poo poo in order.

I don't think it's even necessarily about election performance at all. It's the fact that the party is increasingly becoming a personality cult around Trump himself, and if the big orange baby says something, some of the GOP members of Congress will listen to Trump over their actual leaders. He's already having an increasingly hard time keeping the Senate GOP in line, and there's no guarantee they'll all listen to him over Trump if it comes down to it.

Just look at the absolute chaos the House has been in. While the Senate is generally less susceptible to that stuff, it's no use if the House won't pass what the Senate sends them. And even McConnell has had to deal with senators openly defying him and doing some lunatic bullshit lately, like Tuberville.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That sort of makes sense in the short-term, but it also hobbles the legal process in the long-term and results in both sides basically just attempting to inefficiently use the asylum process to weaponize their preferred political outcomes at the expense of legal and undocumented immigrants and actual asylum seekers who all get stuck in one inefficient process together because people kind of gave up on comprehensive immigration reform

I think it is worth stressing that conservatives have a strong electoral need for a broken immigration system. They have to keep it broken, they can't lose the appeal of border crisis as a wedge issue to draw in votes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ohio is going to follow the same path as Kansas did in 2010 through 2018, but they are pretty sure they will get it right this time.

They plan to:

- Eliminate the income tax and the CAT tax (a tax on gross income earned by businesses in Ohio), which would cause a $13 billion deficit.

- Make up that $13 billion by raising the sales tax, cutting spending (unspecified), and "letting the economy fix itself."

According to estimates, they would need to roughly double the sales tax to make up the shortfall.

That would remove an effective income tax rate of 1.41% for the average Ohioan and add an additional 5.75% to the sales tax (for a total of 11.25%).

It would remove an effective 3.5% income tax rate for the wealthiest Ohioans and add an undetermined effective increase under the sales tax.

https://twitter.com/OhioCapJournal/status/1750133852394385486

quote:

Ohio Republicans propose ending income tax, critics worry about economic crisis

Ohio Republicans have introduced legislation to eliminate the income and commercial activity tax, drawing ire from critics who say this will cause an economic meltdown.

Ohio continues to reduce the state income tax year after year.

State Reps. Adam Mathews (R-Lebanon) and Brian Lampton (R-Beavercreek) held a press conference with State Sens. George Lang (R-West Chester) and Steve Huffman (R-Tipp City) to introduce two nearly identical bills.

“We are here today to talk about what we are going to do to… continue on the path of making Ohio the most business-friendly state in the nation and to financially dominate the rest of the country,” Lang said.

Each of their proposals would start reducing progressively until 2030; with the Senate getting to a flat tax by 2026 and the House by 2028.

“When you cut taxes, you do have an increase of economic activity,” Mathews said.

Eliminating the income tax will leave a $13 billion deficit. The lawmakers say they have a myriad of options for how they will make up the money – which may include raising the sales tax, cutting certain spending and letting the economy allegedly “fix itself.”

This will cause economic turmoil in the state, according to Bailey Williams with Policy Matters Ohio.

“To make up for that revenue through a sales tax increase, shifting that tax burden to the lowest-earning Ohioans, to me it’s a slap in the face,” Williams said.

People in the middle class would have the brunt of the burden if this bill passes since they pay the most per capita on taxes, he added. The idea that these tax cuts would just be made up by increased economic activity needs to be scrutinized a lot more, he continued.

“Ohio lawmakers have been cutting the income tax in the state ever since about 2005,” he said. “We have not seen this economic boom that is supposed to be there.”

Statehouse reporter Morgan Trau asked if getting rid of these taxes would disproportionately hurt the most vulnerable Ohioans. Trau and Policy Matters Ohio calculated that the sales tax would feasibly have to double to make up the loss from both the income and CAT tax elimination.

“This will not be a burden on the those people today that are lower income earnings, but it will be a blessing to those people that are the ones that are driving our economy,” Lang responded.

Trau also asked how the lawmakers would prevent the “spectacular failure” that was Kansas’ attempt at eliminating the personal income tax. Kansas lawmakers, with the help of the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), used the exact same theory of extra economic activity making up for the gap in tax revenue.

The tax was cut in 2012 but was reinstated in 2017. The state lost hundreds of millions in half a decade.

“Doing it in a deliberate way while having the communication process throughout, whether that’s the committee or the community, to make sure that everything balances — whether that’s dynamic or static… will avoid what we saw in Kansas because we’ve had better lessons since then,” Mathews said.

Lawmakers plan to have a series of town halls to hear from Ohioans about the plans — and which one citizens favor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They also don’t want more legal immigration

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Kavros posted:

I think it is worth stressing that conservatives have a strong electoral need for a broken immigration system. They have to keep it broken, they can't lose the appeal of border crisis as a wedge issue to draw in votes.

We said that about abortion and while it's largely true they still let that dog catch that car

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think it's even necessarily about election performance at all. It's the fact that the party is increasingly becoming a personality cult around Trump himself, and if the big orange baby says something, some of the GOP members of Congress will listen to Trump over their actual leaders. He's already having an increasingly hard time keeping the Senate GOP in line, and there's no guarantee they'll all listen to him over Trump if it comes down to it.

Just look at the absolute chaos the House has been in. While the Senate is generally less susceptible to that stuff, it's no use if the House won't pass what the Senate sends them. And even McConnell has had to deal with senators openly defying him and doing some lunatic bullshit lately, like Tuberville.

I think McConnell also sees the Trump has broken GOP's hold on the suburbs and they are increasing relying on gimmicks to hold their grip to power. Trump ripped the mask off completely and the demos they relied on didn't like it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

immigration words

This is probably self-hating america brain talking, but why do so many people want to immigrate here? If I was looking for a higher quality of life, I would pick a country that, you know, actually has a functioning health care system to start

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is probably self-hating america brain talking, but why do so many people want to immigrate here? If I was looking for a higher quality of life, I would pick a country that, you know, actually has a functioning health care system to start

I don't think you realize how broken a lot of countries in South and Central America are. The struggles that come with the standard of living a lot of people outside the US grapple with would be intolerable for 90% or more of people lucky enough to live in the US or Western Europe.

You get into ugly life scenarios, but think of "can't get enough food due to environmental degradation" or "constantly in fear of gang/cartel violence" versus "having to go to an ER if I get sick."

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

A lot of people actually buy in to the right wing framing of things. Many immigrants are arriving here in Florida looking for free housing, Healthcare, etc and are absolutely shocked to learn that none of that is available to them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The median personal income in the U.S. is about 26x higher than the median personal income in Venezuela and you are statistically much less likely to be murdered by a cartel or gang in the U.S. than in Mexico or Colombia.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

For the southern border a lot of these people they are escaping incredible violence with barely functional governments (or cartel states (that our interference cause)) and fear violence and reprisal. They have SOME sort of family in the United States and don't have to use a boat to cross an ocean, though B2 visas I think have the most overstays.

Look there are a lot of issues in the United States but people come here because at least they feel they will be safer and have a chance at something new.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don't think you realize how broken a lot of countries in South and Central America are. The struggles that come with the standard of living a lot of people outside the US grapple with would be intolerable for 90% or more of people lucky enough to live in the US or Western Europe.
Yes this is a consequence of our actions as well, since we destabilized the hell out of that part of the world for almost the entirety of the 20th century

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

For all the "america a third world country!" talk that gets thrown around here, life in America is still far better than life in an actual third world country

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

DarkHorse posted:

We said that about abortion and while it's largely true they still let that dog catch that car

Exactly. The presence of the perennial need for the wedge issue does not suggest they aren't capable of loving it up for themselves. They are conservatives, after all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It has consistently been the case that the things people (justifiably) complain bitterly about with regard to life in the US are often minuscule in proportion and impact compared to how bad life can be in many, many countries around the world. Understanding that perspective doesn't mean problems in the US aren't real or the US can't still have been responsible for making them in some way.

I dunno what the mental blockage is. I still see middle-aged, politically aware people in the US express shock that they can't just pick up and move to France because how could the US not be the worst at legal immigration?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 25, 2024

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There are people that emigrate to the US from places with better access to health care or other social services all the time. People come here for lots of reasons and from all over the place.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eric Cantonese posted:

You get into ugly life scenarios, but think of "can't get enough food due to environmental degradation" or "constantly in fear of gang/cartel violence" versus "having to go to an ER if I get sick."

I mean yeah, that's fair, but why do they settle here instead of Canada? Especially if they're trying to go through legal channels but have to do the asylum thing instead

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

bird food bathtub posted:

That's been the Republican play book for decades now. Say government doesn't work, then get elected so you can break poo poo and gently caress everything up to prove it doesn't work.

Oh absolutely. I get weird looks from kids in class when I tell them that many politicians don’t want the government to work so they can use it as campaign attack ads. Then they get angry when they do actual reading and research and find their beloved GOP doesn’t actually try to make things better.

Some deny it and say all the stuff they read is fake because republicans don’t act like that.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I mean yeah, that's fair, but why do they settle here instead of Canada? Especially if they're trying to go through legal channels but have to do the asylum thing instead

Canada gets to use the US as a massive geographical buffer. How would a lot of migrants even get there? Boats, I guess? (What a frightening trip that would have to be.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RegimeTwink/status/1750409637650677973

Getting lit in the Missouri statehouse. Show me these hands son

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

There are people that emigrate to the US from places with better access to health care or other social services all the time. People come here for lots of reasons and from all over the place.

The one thing Americas generally does better than other places is compensation for high earners

It's a bit mercenary as that higher compensation comes from gutting social services to every citizen that would normally be paid from higher taxes on those earners, but I can't exactly fault them for taking the option

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aztec Galactus posted:

A lot of people actually buy in to the right wing framing of things. Many immigrants are arriving here in Florida looking for free housing, Healthcare, etc and are absolutely shocked to learn that none of that is available to them

They technically do. The people claiming asylum, whether they are being detained directly, put up in hotels, or placed with a sponsor, all get housing. Even the people being detained can leave and be deported whenever they want, but they are there voluntarily to try and wait out the process.

I really doubt most immigrants come to the U.S. with the dream of being a welfare queen. I don't have any official surveys that prove that, though. Even slaving in the kitchen somewhere for $13 an hour under the table is likely a massive improvement in their income from places like Venezuela where the median salary is $142 per month.

The vast majority are coming for financial reasons, but that isn't a valid reason to claim asylum or get a green card on its own. So, they try to come in via the asylum process and hope that the backlog/inability to verify whether they really are going to be persecuted will let them stay. The next biggest chunk are actual legitimate asylum seekers who are looking to escape imminent bodily harm.

If the median income in your country in $142 per month, then working 60 hour weeks for $13/hour allows you to make 21x the median income in your home country and live an okay-ish life* in the U.S. with enough money to send back home via remittances that helps your family live a solid life there. That is why most of the people coming are single men under 45. They are coming for work and economic opportunity to provide back home and possibly bring family with them.

*(Relative to where you came from at least. Staying in a house with 8 other dudes and working 60 hours per week isn't exactly the dream scenario, but that is a small price to pay for the chance to make 21x the median salary in your home country and support your family.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 25, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

For as byzantine and awful the American immigration system is, isn't it friendlier than like the EU or Canada's?

Basically, the US policy of aslyum is that if you can touch ground in the US and claim asylum you're at least protected for a bit while the government hears your case. Plus, while we do deport people the process can takes years and sometimes the government says we won't bother unless you truly epically gently caress something up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiny Timbs posted:

It has consistently been the case that the things people (justifiably) complain bitterly about with regard to life in the US are often minuscule in proportion and impact compared to how bad life can be in many, many countries around the world. Understanding that perspective doesn't mean problems in the US aren't real or the US can't still have been responsible for making them in some way.

I dunno what the mental blockage is. I still see middle-aged, politically aware people in the US express shock that they can't just pick up and move to France because how could the US not be the worst at legal immigration?

It's the mirror version of American exceptionalism, where the US is uniquely evil and terrible. You see it occasionally from leftists (even on this forum), who try to force world events into the mold of "this is America's fault" even when it's mostly or entirely some foreign internal thing.

I think it comes down to the fact that realizing that America isn't actually the best doesn't automatically free you from decades of propaganda.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ask me about trying to move to Canada as a cracker american if you think that would be easier

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

For as byzantine and awful the American immigration system is, isn't it friendlier than like the EU or Canada's?

Basically, the US policy of aslyum is that if you can touch ground in the US and claim asylum you're at least protected for a bit while the government hears your case. Plus, while we do deport people the process can takes years and sometimes the government says we won't bother unless you truly epically gently caress something up.

That's my understanding. I believe Canada has a points system based on your education and Canada's perception of its economic needs.

It's my understanding that the EU differs on a country-by-country basis. Some of the countries in the EU don't like migrants or refugees at all.

I'm sure both the EU and Canada have some level of family relation/marriage avenues, but I think the US is the broadest. We also have birthright citizenship due to the 14th Amendment (for now?) and that complicates the dynamics a bit too.

It's hard to imagine, but the US is definitely on the fuzzier side of immigration policy compared to some other countries. I wonder how much of that is due to geography and how big the US is, so you don't get a uniformity of rage. I listen to the anti-immigration rhetoric coming from places like Italy and Spain and it's not that different from, say, Texas.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also, a lot of immigrants move to places where they already have connections. If they don't have connections of some sort in Canada it would be undesirable as a destination.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

C-Span is about to get real spicy!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Eric Cantonese posted:

Canada gets to use the US as a massive geographical buffer. How would a lot of migrants even get there? Boats, I guess? (What a frightening trip that would have to be.)
Same way the get to the US? Caravan?

But I think the US system is pretty uniquely broken in the way Leon Trotsky described and the same approach wouldn't fly in Canada.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Same way the get to the US? Caravan?

But I think the US system is pretty uniquely broken in the way Leon Trotsky described and the same approach wouldn't fly in Canada.

The caravan would need to pass through the US, though, no? Or I guess they somehow get smuggled past our border and then through the Canadian border through trucks or something? Having huge walking groups just going north through the US to be able to get to Canada without getting intercepted doesn't seem doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

This is probably self-hating america brain talking, but why do so many people want to immigrate here?

step one: personally enjoy not being dead or destitute (which increasingly just means "dead not too far out, more painfully'). perhaps want to sustain the non-deadness of your present condition

step two: do some internal calculus. based on the best info you have available. about what migrant action you can put yourself on that gives you the most chance of not being dead

step three: make the call, put in the trajectory and pray to your gods that it pans out

for the americas US is in a sweet spot for that whole equation, period. it simply lets more people in one way or the other, there's ways. it is a luxury to be a person sitting outside of a crisis that compels refuge migration and wonder why the migrants in question aren't theorycrafting their way into more ideal conditions. a lot is at stake. people gotta give themselves the best dice roll and work with it