Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I read IT when I was still on pain-meds, so at some point the phrase “we all float down here” entered my active vocabulary. I use it as a synonym for “no worries/no problem”. Something’ll go wrong and I shrug and say, “We all float down here.”

I’ve only been called out on it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I thought that movie Stitches was solidly "okay" when I first saw it, but I was kind of fascinated by all the egg stuff in there. It added this weird, otherworldly occult thing to clowns and I thought it really elevated the movie beyond just being a "clown kills people" thing.

Then I found out that, oh yeah, clowns just do that.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20171206-the-fascinating-reason-why-clowns-paint-their-faces-on-eggs

And I'm sorry, but this right here should be the opening of a horror movie:

quote:

Just before we leave, Stone asks us whether we know what’s in a large black case that’s been sitting portentously to one side on a table throughout our conversation. We don’t, of course. He opens it to reveal 40 or so of the original Stan Bult-painted clown eggs.
He arranges the 70-year-old chicken eggs on the dining table. We see renowned circus performers of the early 20th Century – people like Sir Robert Fossett, Paul Fratellini, Len “Spider” Austin, and Lulu Craston.
Stone acquired them – not cheaply – from a private collector last year, long after most clowns had written them off as lost or destroyed. As he carefully unwraps the eggs, fragile with age but remarkably preserved, he explains that we are now among a privileged handful of people who have viewed these artifacts over the last half-century. Although he has no current plans to display them publicly, they remain an important part of the larger clown egg registry project.

A bunch of presumably lost or destroyed clown eggs, being acquired from a private collector, that almost nobody has ever seen? Come on.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was introduced to the concept of a clown face registry via faces painted on eggs by Terry Pratchett

Though in isolation the phrase "clown eggs" is both less fascinating and more terrifying than the reality

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Phy posted:

Though in isolation the phrase "clown eggs" is both less fascinating and more terrifying than the reality

If you'll excuse me, I need to check my crawlspace

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finished The Terror last night. Very different from the book but both good different ways, I dont really like one better than the other but parts of each. I take it I just shouldn’t even bother with S2 though?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Opopanax posted:

Finished The Terror last night. Very different from the book but both good different ways, I dont really like one better than the other but parts of each. I take it I just shouldn’t even bother with S2 though?

S2 is a totally different setting and story that’s fine but not amazing. If you go in hoping for more of S1, you’ll be disappointed. If you go in with just the expectation that it’s a random horror show, you’ll think it’s a B- and it’s nice to see George Takei in a thing.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Opopanax posted:

I was not a fan of Season 2. Very slow and I remember multiple times that characters would do something really stupid or go somewhere for no apparent reason but to prolong the story and keep a mystery from being revealed. Definitely a case, for me at least, of an interesting setting, premise, and good actors being wasted on a crap story.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a whole implied subplot where the Turtle is manipulating the Losers in the same way that IT uses Pennywise and those murderers.

But King just drops it and it's the most frustrating thing about the book.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1750564436694151482

Good news, nunsploitation enjoyers, we've got a new one in the pipeline.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the Turtle is a Guardian of the Beams and It is a creature from The Prim which means he's a servant of the Crimson King. So the Turtle is probably trying to guide The Losers to victory over It because It's presence in Derry is a threat to the Beams.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'd rather watch Benedetta again

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I think once King decided to turn it into Dark Tower poo poo, he abandoned the original premise. But there's a lot that points to the Turtle influencing the characters and then erasing their memories of it. Two I remember best were:

Right before Georgie dies in the gutter, he sees a can of Turtle Wax and can't quite remember why it's familiar. Maybe it was his brother? It's been a while.

Or when the losers are eating Chinese food and someone points out how they're all suspiciously successful, but then they just shrug it off.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty sure the Turtle is a Guardian of the Beams

he's actually Guardian of the Universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lKCMIF4iA

Rageaholic posted:

Benedetta was so good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Benedetta was so good
:yeah:

It was one of my favorites the year it came out.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

moths posted:

Yeah I think once King decided to turn it into Dark Tower poo poo, he abandoned the original premise. But there's a lot that points to the Turtle influencing the characters and then erasing their memories of it. Two I remember best were:

Right before Georgie dies in the gutter, he sees a can of Turtle Wax and can't quite remember why it's familiar. Maybe it was his brother? It's been a while.

Or when the losers are eating Chinese food and someone points out how they're all suspiciously successful, but then they just shrug it off.

I had assumed the suspicious success was the influence of Pennywise, but I might be wrong. A sort of "please just go away and leave me alone" thing, hoping that they'd never have a reason to come back to Derry. The tradeoff being that they couldn't have kids of their own.

I always took the Turtle to be a bit more of a guiding force, like it's helping them against Pennywise but not necessarily pushing them into conflict with him.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Nobody named Maturin could ever be clandestinely manipulative

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This could be fun. For one of the horror challenges I watched Nocturne, a horror starring Sweeney that I've never seen anyone talk about, and she made for a good lead.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Man do I hate the Stephen King dark tower universe lore

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Crescent Wrench posted:

This could be fun. For one of the horror challenges I watched Nocturne, a horror starring Sweeney that I've never seen anyone talk about, and she made for a good lead.

I've always said she should be in more horror. Just has that vibe about her.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Because it's loving awesome?

Don't tell me you don't love her God Voice. There's a movie with some good horror elements...from a renowned Christological scholar at that!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watched the 1984 movie Disconnected and holy wow that soundtrack was awesome. That XTC song has been playing non-stop in my head since I watched it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Debr5KI1QIU

as a stop-motion aficionado this is up my alley. in theaters in February and will be on Shudder in May

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

a kiss accomplishes exactly the same thing thematically and isn't completely insane and gross!

sounds like a strict downgrade to me

seriously, all the bizarre, inimitable poo poo in king's writing is what makes him interesting. he's no prose stylist, his structures are famous for being meandering and having bad endings. but what he has as much as anyone ever has is an eye for the strangest things people do, and not just the scary ones

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Watched the 1984 movie Disconnected and holy wow that soundtrack was awesome. That XTC song has been playing non-stop in my head since I watched it.

I originally gave disconnected 2.5/5 but it's stuck with me since I watched it back in 2018 and is a movie I always recommend when people ask for obscure 80s horror or what flicks to buy from vinegar syndrome. Its a weird little flick. I still think about the scene where it's just live music while the characters talk off screen, an obvious move to save money but somehow blends well with the film's vibe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

I had assumed the suspicious success was the influence of Pennywise, but I might be wrong. A sort of "please just go away and leave me alone" thing, hoping that they'd never have a reason to come back to Derry. The tradeoff being that they couldn't have kids of their own.

I always took the Turtle to be a bit more of a guiding force, like it's helping them against Pennywise but not necessarily pushing them into conflict with him.

The Turtle doesn't do anything except advise Bill briefly during the first Ritual of Chud. In fact he specifically states that he takes no part in these things, and It also believes he only watches. But the Turtle exists in the same place as the Deadlights and so It's presence makes it possible for people - particularly those connected to It - to develop some awareness of him. Which is why George was suddenly fascinated by the Turtle Wax, and why Bill developed writer's block when the Turtle died.

The thing that bothered me most about It was that the Losers forgot again after they left Derry. It was supposed to be It that made them forget, but It was dead. Maybe it was unreliable narration and all along it was the third, unknown entity that congratulates Bill after he kills It, but either way it's a downer ending.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone seen a screening of The Seeding? I believe it's supposed to come out on VOD tomorrow, reviews are a little mixed but I liked the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZTRkg3y5uc

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

Nocturne ruled and Sweeney rules

This looks amazing and I feel like we’re gonna have a great religious horror year between this and The First Omen already. Both trailers knocked it out of the park, I’m all in :hellyeah:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean, does The First Omen have the guts to actually make it a jackal like it states in the movie.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's the only thing I care about.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DeimosRising posted:

seriously, all the bizarre, inimitable poo poo in king's writing is what makes him interesting. he's no prose stylist, his structures are famous for being meandering and having bad endings. but what he has as much as anyone ever has is an eye for the strangest things people do, and not just the scary ones

Definitely and half the poo poo that could be applied to King also could be said about a lot of beloved horror directors out there. Lars von Trier, Gaspar Noe, David Lynch, David Cronenberg, hell even Ari Aster has a bit of a screw loose between Beau is Afraid and The Strange Thing About the Johnsons. Being provocative comes in strange ways that can be alarming or disturbing.

Also for as bad as King writes black people he writes everyone terribly from a realistic point of view. His characters always have odd dialogue or are way too cool or verbose. It's a stylistic choice that can feel good at the moment but on review kind of makes people cringe. I don't excuse his bad endings though. That's just a failure as a writer. He does it so consistently that he's the polar opposite of these drama horror writers. He thinks of the idea first, writes a ton of it, but has no plan on the ending and it shows. Way too much quantity over quality.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If King can't wrap it up in time to be a short story, he starts another short story in the next chapter and repeats the process until he hits 600 pages.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty sure the Turtle is a Guardian of the Beams and It is a creature from The Prim which means he's a servant of the Crimson King.

The guardians aren't servants of the crimson king, they are servants of the beams and the tower.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he's actually Guardian of the Universe

He's both. When Gan (the elephant guardian) birthed the world Maturin caught it on his back. So he's simultaneously holding up the entire universe in a metaphysical sense and also a giant cyborg turtle hanging out in one corner of one of the worlds in a physical sense.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

goferchan posted:

Anyone seen a screening of The Seeding? I believe it's supposed to come out on VOD tomorrow, reviews are a little mixed but I liked the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZTRkg3y5uc

this looks like the Winnie the Pooh: Blood & Honey version of Minecraft, OP.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There's some loving weird King apologism, what makes him great are his short stories and his love for Shirley Jackson...not the racist caricatures of black people, the children gangbang, or the black maid collecting his self-insert's cum. Hth. His erratic poo poo is his worst, it's not experimental or avant garde or interesting it's just weird boomer hangups that come from living in mostly 99% white communities. Lmao at comparing him to David Lynch and Gaspar Noe.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

what actually makes Stephen King great is his body of work as one of the greatest writers of the 20th century

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what actually makes Stephen King great is his body of work as one of the greatest writers of the 20th century
I guess if you're going by "Most adapted into movies or most culturally relevant in the last 50 years". I love the guy but calling him one of the greatest writers of the 20th century is insane when his idol SJ blows him out of the water. He's prolific and I love him but I could name 15 better 20th century writers just off the top of my head.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I guess if you're going by "Most adapted into movies or most culturally relevant in the last 50 years". I love the guy but calling him one of the greatest writers of the 20th century is insane when his idol SJ blows him out of the water. He's prolific and I love him but I could name 15 better 20th century writers just off the top of my head.

you probably couldn't

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Punkin Spunkin posted:

There's some loving weird King apologism, what makes him great are his short stories and his love for Shirley Jackson...not the racist caricatures of black people, the children gangbang, or the black maid collecting his self-insert's cum. Hth. His erratic poo poo is his worst, it's not experimental or avant garde or interesting it's just weird boomer hangups that come from living in mostly 99% white communities. Lmao at comparing him to David Lynch and Gaspar Noe.

Who's apologizing for King? It's rationalization for why he acts the way he does. You're even saying what I typed up in a previous post about him being a stupid boomer.

I was also saying that provocative stuff can be considered immorally bad or alarming, not that they're the same. Your reading comprehension sucks rear end.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
King is easily the most important American writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He's definitely one of the most American American writers.