Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

devicenull posted:

What's he even going to do about it if the humidity is high? It's not like he has power to run dehumidifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

NotJustANumber99 posted:

During these freezing temps I've been leaving the water off mostly. But used it the other day and forgot to properly drain down the external tap so it froze. I've murdered loads of these taps through the years.

You might want to invest in an actual external tap, where the valve part is inside the house and the section that can potentially freeze is sloped downwards so it drains itself automatically.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Darkest Auer posted:

You might want to invest in an actual external tap, where the valve part is inside the house and the section that can potentially freeze is sloped downwards so it drains itself automatically.

Confirmed, these own.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
You need a basement or walls thicker than a 2x4 to use those.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm confused by that? Which side goes on the outside?

It's moot anyway as I've cleverly built the only outside tap plumbing into the wall inside behind where the ensuite shower tiling is going to go.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm confused by that? Which side goes on the outside?

It's moot anyway as I've cleverly built the only outside tap plumbing into the wall inside behind where the ensuite shower tiling is going to go.

The silver part goes outside, the copper part is inside the wall and the actual valve is in the brass part and connects via a rod down the middle to the silver key outside. When you close the valve all the water past the valve drains out and you shouldn't have any water that isn't well inside the heated envelope of the house.

...unless you keep a hose attached all the time so the water can't drain anywhere.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

i would have hoped with your foundation you wouldnt get any settling cracks like that

I think those are not settling cracks, they're cracks from the thick, wet plaster drying and shrinking?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

grout

look ok in the picture but we'll see how long it stays like that considering what a dodgy job I did and it has all the underfloor heating pipes running right under it.

bought some architrave to use as skirting board as i dont want it too high to fit all my pipes in. pleasingly, they stuck stickers all over it that dont come off.

I've never done skirting board before. And... well it seems pretty loving poo poo.

None of this is ever going to work

yeah so anyway I made it work

filling around the door, put some timber on the threshold, paint it door colour be alright. Tis only the plantroom

been doing painting and prep work on walls. its such a ballache and not really something that comes out in photos but I guess this does.

actually looks ok doesnt it

supposed to...

be a plugsocket down underneath that. perfectly covered. need to find it.

Audit of plumbing bits to start runnign all the copper in the plantroom

dunno what I can recycle

and what I've previously mistakenly bought I can use now.

Worked out I need around 52metres of copper pipe in the plantroom. plus all the fittings. Was coming out over 600quid. I've decided to try doing proper soldering here rather than buying the pre solder lined fittings as I need over 100 of them and they are like 2 to 3 times as expensive. Its all accessible so anything I gently caress up I will notice and can redo.

Installed a sealed lofthatch in the utility room. Cuts down noise and presumably leaks a fair bit. Was quite cheap but is a sealed unit.

of course its a ballache and the ceiling starts disintegrating around it

another patch incoming

outside socket on there too, fill another hole

Big ugly fucker

tidy connection inside

isnt electrics nice and not at all about cramming poo poo in places

Lots of my bits and pieces are turning up in the post. They rang me up about some of the switches I bought. Because I'm having remote control everything I want just one time reactive switches that press and release rather than stay pressed. Easy enough you'd think but they I guess get used for other things traditionally like alarm/door bells. So they have icons on them. I chose ones without and the website rang me up and said you don't want those right and I confirmed I didnt want those.

So they sent me those

The bathroom vanity is sat iont he middle of the great room for me to roll my eyes at in disgust everytime I walk past

tried to make a sort of jog to pull it together but nah

i stood on top of it to drive these screws in, still didnt pull it together

Yeah. Really cheap worktops. Terrible workman. sub zero temps to store the wood in... not sure where to go with this at this point.

Like its ridiculous the temp in the house. Now its warmed up a bit to like 13 degrees outside. Its like stepping out into tropical weather from inside. Which means its well insulated I guess. But loving awful inside. and zero solar heating.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You don't seem to be coping well.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

c355n4 posted:

You don't seem to be coping well.

:downsrim:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That corner is a nice explainer for why the cut on the bathroom vanity would have been hell.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like its ridiculous the temp in the house. Now its warmed up a bit to like 13 degrees outside. Its like stepping out into tropical weather from inside. Which means its well insulated I guess. But loving awful inside. and zero solar heating.

Well at least we know it can be sealed up like a tomb. And your HouseHAL 9000 hasn't even been installed yet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This is why insulation is good to have even in when it's warm 99, keeps the insides cool in summer without/reduced need of AC.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

52 metres of pipe in the plantroom? Are you designing a set for Brazil?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm not sure we're still in 'design' territory.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lots of my bits and pieces are turning up in the post. They rang me up about some of the switches I bought. Because I'm having remote control everything I want just one time reactive switches that press and release rather than stay pressed. Easy enough you'd think but they I guess get used for other things traditionally like alarm/door bells. So they have icons on them. I chose ones without and the website rang me up and said you don't want those right and I confirmed I didnt want those.

So they sent me those

Why does everything over there seem like it's done by some guy in a shed manually reading orders off his vintage CRT monitor and then fulfilling by digging through a box of random products to find the order?

Not that phoning up to confirm is bad but just send the thing in the order for god's sake.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Because it is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've never done skirting board before. And... well it seems pretty loving poo poo.

No no no. Don't try and cut miters. Won't work, no corner is a true 90 degrees and your saw isn't either.

Do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXcxYuY1IcQ
flat against one wall, then cope the bit that meets it. Video explains. As he says don't bother doing it by hand with a coping saw. He uses an angle grinder but you can also do it with a sander or w/e. the simpler your board profile the easier this is. Yours looks very simple.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've checked my plans and that corner is 90° so there's no reason the mitre shouldn't have worked.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The distant sound of every carpenter laughing at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO1acDsSWo&t=636s

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 25, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The distant sound of every carpenter laughing at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO1acDsSWo&t=636s

Yeah... this is a quick and easy build I havent got time for all this nonsense over every bloody corner of skirting board.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Coping is witchcraft, don't they still burn witches on that island?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fidelitious posted:

Why does everything over there seem like it's done by some guy in a shed manually reading orders off his vintage CRT monitor and then fulfilling by digging through a box of random products to find the order?

Not that phoning up to confirm is bad but just send the thing in the order for god's sake.

I've seen it theorised that every decent builder and builder-adjacent person in the UK is working on big projects like road construction or skyscrapers, and everyone that's left to work on projects for the average citizen are the people who couldn't get hired on those projects or got fired from those projects, and in all cases would rather be working on those projects rather than renovating your bedroom or whatever. As a result you get treated as an afterthought and exception that lies outside of normal operating procedures.

I've never worked in that kind of industry so I've no idea how accurate that theory is though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, the big stuff is also mostly built by idiots and scam artists.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Yes. This is the reason we have tunnel boring machines and road pavers and high output ballast cleaners. You want as few people involved in your project as possible. NJAN is working by themselves and in my opinion, that's still one human too many.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

There should just be one giant machine that extrudes houses like a giant PlayDoh factory.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

There should just be one giant machine that extrudes houses like a giant PlayDoh factory.

We're getting there.

https://builtin.com/3d-printing/3d-printed-house

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

No goon has ever heard of the KISS principal.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

TheMightyHandful posted:

Massively over-complicating the aesthetics of a product to disguise its essentially mediocre nature?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

TheMightyHandful posted:

Wear clownish make-up and use your tongue inappropriately? I think more goons have got that covered than you may expect.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

TheMightyHandful posted:

Just build a robot to KISS for you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheMightyHandful posted:

The borKy International Scoring System? Sure I have.

(Distance walked to girl's house in miles) x (mass of printer in lbs)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.14^(100 + Number of girl's boyfriends that enter room) + (Number of other people present in room)

If you arrive at a value under 0 you are likely to receive a hug.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

VelociBacon posted:

The borKy International Scoring System? Sure I have.

(Distance walked to girl's house in miles) x (mass of printer in lbs)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.14^(100 + Number of girl's boyfriends that enter room) + (Number of other people present in room)

If you arrive at a value under 0 you are likely to receive a hug.

How would you get less than zero? Walk away from the girls house? Buy a printer with negative mass?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only way to win... is not to play.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ok I've been pretty unproductive recently. Family poo poo etc. If by family poo poo you mean just some days spending lying in bed until tomorrow and then maybe reading an email. Also arguing about AI in dnd.

Anyway you might remember I saved a tonne of money by buying my heatpump, hot water tank and all associated poo poo slightly second hand. Well turns out some of those bits aren't going to be suitable.

This thing is a magnetic filter that like magnets out all the metal bulshit that ends up clogging up your heating loop from your dogshit radiators etc. Well I don't have any radiators and my underfloor heating is in pex al pex pipe, so like plastic really. So why I need this? Maybe I don't? Well probably I do cos my cheap Italian buffer tank isnt stainless steel and I've got the woodburner loop with god knows what metal crap involved.

But from planning my pipework, this needs to be on 28mm pipe in my system. The one I have is 22mm. eurgh... need to buy a new one. crapper brand

Buffer tank connections are weird and need a bunch of adapters for that. another 50 quid.

Also can't even get in to tighten them up

Had to buy a tool to detach all my wiring so I could label it all

ghetto combat earth module

I've also been practicing my copper soldering. I dunno if I've accurately given an impression of who I am exactly. But basically I can't loving deal with this and have smashed up so much poo poo in frustration.

I've had a big sit down and watched 55 hours of youtubes. So my solder was just not doing what it was told and doing nice little hugging loop into the joint but loving off onto the floor in a big molten pile.
So I figured it out. I was doing a lot right. Cleaning it well, putting flux in just right, loving smashing it.

I mean I was having to use matches to light my torchy thing cos it wont light itself but whatever

But then I was overheating it and burning off all the flux before I tried to get it to take.

So I adapted and I overcame.

lol. like I know theres still a big bead down the back but ignore that. What was good is that I have finally got he solder to actually run round the joint at all. Trust me this is a good one.

Bought a bunch of wadte pipe stuff.

Jesus. Got all this wrong like ten times.

So this is the lowest waste pipe run in the plant room that will take all the various pressure/temp valve outputs from the different systems. Initially I bought a bunch of solvent weld poo poo to run this. Nope. Not allowed. Solvent weld pipe is PVC and not heat rated to that level. So need to change it all for compression fittings cos those are polypropelene and can't be glued but can be hot.

The only way I could find to get from 22mm copper, which is how most of these things output via their tundishes, into 40mm (or any) plastic waste pipe is through this unit. Which only comes in a T piece. But you can dismantle it and use a Coupler or 90 bend instead if you know what youre doing. Which I don't.

So there was another way to buy the one brand hotun tundish that outputs into 32mm plastic but that means running plastic waste pipe vertically up to each tundish output which I don't want to do. Anyway worked it out.

So this takes 40mm pipe each end and allows a 22mm copper (or whatever) pipe to connect in on the T.

Its a long story but I then got it wrong again as I cut a bunch of pieces of pipe up to install this in sequence. But actually what you do is sleeve them over the 40mm pipe and drill out a hole where you want the connection.

I needed to set this pipe round at the right fall to the drain whilst making sure to keep it low enough that it doesnt gently caress with all the other pipes I need to run above it and also allow the big mains cable to get into the consumer unit.

So the T's have to come out horizontally to receive the copper inputs cos theres like 3 to 7 copper runs runnig around above that waste to also deal with.

Heres how they will be spaced. at 55mm intervals that allows the insulation to fit in. I was testing 1,2 or 3 spacers off the wall but actually wont use any of that and will wedge bits of offcut wood in instead.

One of my xmas presents from my sister in law who considers me somewhat unstylish? but also knows I'm colourblind was a visit from a colour technician.

So this lady came round last weekend to do that.

I said evrything that wasnt a brick or an oak was going to be white so she disagreed with that and advised all sorts of poo poo. So her previous day job was with farrow and ball. yeah...

Anyway heres some red samples on a wall.

Oh and whilst she was here se stuck sample swatches on the wall with bluetack

FFS

oh forgot to say. Possibly getting smart meter installed tomorrow. and BT openreach are supposed to get their poo poo done by friday.

Lol to both of these

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 31, 2024

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Quite a dark red. Enjoy covering those up again with white.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Anyway heres some red samples on a wall.

Maybe it's just the white balance but those look like a very dark blue???

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Muir posted:

Maybe it's just the white balance but those look like a very dark blue???

That's clearly a rich burgundy. Turn off your monitor, then turn it on again

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a wine-dark red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
That's the one good thing I will say about soldering copper pipe. you know when you've done it properly because it will basically run all the way around on its own. I didn't have any problems with the heating as I was using and acetylene torch, must be a pain in the rear end with that little torch that looks like it throws out a pretty wide flame.