Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jay Rust posted:

I happen to know "The Hangover" is called "Very Bad Trip" in France, still in english. I bet there's a bunch of these

I remember seeing a Tiktok a while back that was talking about how a large number of French titles of films just add "Sex" to the film title. For example "Eurotrip" just becomes "Sex Trip"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

I remember seeing a Tiktok a while back that was talking about how a large number of French titles of films just add "Sex" to the film title. For example "Eurotrip" just becomes "Sex Trip"

So what did they call Sex Drive?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Think I'm sick of Patrick Wilson in general. Never seen an aquaman but I don't think I'm a fan of the guy as an actor

He's never really beefed it but I can't think of anyrhing I've genuinely thought "hell yeah Patrick Wilson you turned up and made good"

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 25, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Safety Factor posted:

Apparently unchanged.

Some other examples:

No Strings Attached -> Sex Friends
Wild Things -> Sexcrimes
Not Another Teen Movie -> Sex Academy
Meet the Spartans -> Orgie Movie

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I will NEVER be sick of Patrick Wilson.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It must be really disappointing for French people to see titles like those and then see the actual movies.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Safety Factor posted:

La petite mort d'Arthur

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Hillary Swank race drama movie Freedom Writers is known as Écrire Pour Exister In French.

It’s not a great title, but the bizarre thing is that Écrire Pour Exister translates back to English as Write To Exist.

So the French is an untranslatable pun that only works in English, yet wasn’t used for the actual English title of this very American movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Hillary Swank race drama movie Freedom Writers is known as Écrire Pour Exister In French.

It’s not a great title, but the bizarre thing is that Écrire Pour Exister translates back to English as Write To Exist.

So the French is an untranslatable pun that only works in English, yet wasn’t used for the actual English title of this very American movie.

that rules

Safety Factor posted:

sex sex

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I am going to assume the movie title jokes are written by the Immortals

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Safety Factor posted:

A Royale With Sex

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think it was pretty funny when Patrick Wilson showed up in the original Aquaman, and if I remember correctly he wasn't in the start of In the Tall Grass so it was a pleasant surprise when he showed up.

I also really liked that nobody really refers to him by his codename in Part 2, so it’s like ‘we gotta stop David before he blows up the device’ and so-on. It’s not played as a joke; that’s just his name.

It's much more ridiculous than that. They only refer to him by his full name, David Kane.

Aquaman 2 was entertaining but it's a real dumb movie.

graventy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 25, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mordiceius posted:

In Europe this is very normal.

Failed Imagineer posted:

A Royale With Sex

:golfclap:

That's fantastic. You couldn't write it!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kentucky Fried Movie is Hamburger Film Sandwich in French.

Weird Al has a story about how when making UHF, the studio asked him for suggestions for overseas titles because UHF means nothing outside the US. He suggested something like “Vidiots” or “The Vidiot”, and so the overseas title became “The Vidiot from UHF” and so at every foreign press junket he was asked why the film was called that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kentucky Fried Movie is Hamburger Film Sandwich in French.

excellent

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The marketing for that Civil War movie is getting pretty intense, I guess the studio thinks it has a big hit on its hands.

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1750235544951349275?t=zzp57yX9arhUpMxrg-lh1Q&s=19

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Amazon Women on the Moon is Cheeseburger Film Sandwich

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's Australia day and a guy is stomping around the neighbourhood waving an Australian flag as some kinda culture war thing. He's wearing a slouch hat but this bitch is like five feet tall and spherical. Army didn't give you that you bought it and it's weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBRqfdMDbvw rear end but for who?

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 26, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's the oldest age an actor was cast to play a regular high school student completely unironically?

Not counting biopics.

I think Angourie Rice is going to play high schoolers till she's 30

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Weirdly I don't think Never Been Kissed comes even close

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What's the oldest age an actor was cast to play a regular high school student completely unironically?

Not counting biopics.

Ben Platt was around 27 when they would have been filming Dear Evan Hansen and while I'm sure there are older people who have played high schoolers he definitely looks like he's the oldest.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah every frame of that movie involves a desperate urge to report it to someone like he's granos.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Steve McQueen is 28 in The Blob (1958).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Not counting biopics.

Shirley Henderson was 37 when she played 14 year old Moaning Myrtle in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Imagine my surprise when she showed up 15 years later in Okja as a middle aged executive assistant

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 26, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Not counting biopics.

Not high school since he's supposed to be a first year Uni student, but the whole time I was watching Barry Keoghan in Saltburn thinking "my man, you are 31"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Goddamn, Get on Your Knees by Jacquline Novak might be an all timer stand up special. It's her first one and it's fuckin' crazy funny. A genius throwing jokes away at a mile a minute

Sucking dick is enormously just straight up funny and she crushed an hour about it like a nerd with ADHD. There is a pre and post era now

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 26, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Andrew Garfield was 29 and 30 during his Spooderman things

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jason London was 27 when he played a high school senior in The Rage: Carrie 2 which I mostly just find notable because it came out six years after he very notably played a high school senior in Dazed and Confused

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Stavvy Baby being a Fat Rascal, Novak making jokes about The Crucible and suckin' dick, and John Mulanely revealing himself to be a crazy person onstage instead of the twink from the fifties he styled himself as. Stand up is back, baby

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That hot one weirds me out. Matt something or other. He's like 25 and he got a little bit cancelled because he said the hackiest poo poo about giving a woman a black eye

This is the only forced edgy bit I respect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIKxbHt0KG4

The Prime Minister of New Zealand made a show of getting all pissy about it and pretty soon resigned because he was a corrupt sex criminal. Got his rear end

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Andrew Garfield was 29 and 30 during his Spooderman things

What the gently caress. He's ... forty

Andrew Garfield is a man of forty years of age

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 26, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Peccadillo posted:

What the gently caress. He's ... forty

Andrew Garfield is a man of forty years of age

In his movies they have to edit out the sounds he makes when he gets out of a chair.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Andrew Garfield's twenty two in my heart and mind. Looks like he feels the same.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Post Silence Garfield looks a lot older than pre

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched The Young Master. Very good.

Absolutely fantastic fights. The opening lion dance fight is fantastic Seriously, check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_giw7bWGc

I also really liked the fight where Jackie Chan gets attacked by five guys with swords and he keeps taking their swords away. Chan didn't invent that style of fight, where they keep trading an object back and forth in clever ways, right? But he's so loving good at it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's a movie I think called "I Love You [girl's name]" and I don't know how old the lead actor was, but I remember thinking he was at least the oldest looking actor to play a high school student.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Air Skwirl posted:

There's a movie I think called "I Love You [girl's name]" and I don't know how old the lead actor was, but I remember thinking he was at least the oldest looking actor to play a high school student.

Beth Cooper?

Edit: sheesh

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 26, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Fun fact Paul Rust is three hundred and seventy five years young

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He invited rust. His corrosive touch is what first created rust centuries ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Beth Cooper?

This picture is making me chuckle.