Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I looked up the band that did the very cool theme song to the Scott Pilgrim cartoon, Necry Talkie. They're a joyful pop punk outfit but goddamn the person they hired to interpret the lyrics is either bad at it or this lady's talking nonsense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l-qw9yRFOA

Ain't exactly a scholarly interpretation. Makes a fun band a li'l funner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Reminds me of an interview I saw with Maos's Shakespeare translator, he was like "hamlets yorrick speech sounds dumb as poo poo "to be or not to be" doesnt translate. He just plainly asks a skull if he should kill himself and it doesn't work"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I always feel bad for the people who have to translate Sondheim into other languages.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm watching Abducted in Plain Sight, a documentary on netflix. It's tough to discuss without spoilers but it is infuriating. One of the most bizarre things I have watched for a while.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's cool to compare and contrast. She yells and punches power chords and the subtitles will be like "hello"

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Jippa posted:

I'm watching Abducted in Plain Sight, a documentary on netflix. It's tough to discuss without spoilers but it is infuriating. One of the most bizarre things I have watched for a while.

Infuriating in a "good" way because of the subject matter, or because the doc is badly put together?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pigma_Micron posted:

Infuriating in a "good" way because of the subject matter, or because the doc is badly put together?

It went semi-viral a few years back, it's one of those documentaries like DEAR ZACHARY that people watch in disbelief. All you really need to know is that everyone involved is Mormon.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It went semi-viral a few years back, it's one of those documentaries like DEAR ZACHARY that people watch in disbelief. All you really need to know is that everyone involved is Mormon.

Ah, yes. One of those.

Thank you for the clarification.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Jippa posted:

I've never wanted so badly to reach into a TV screen and strangle anyone as much as I did that girl's parents.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pigma_Micron posted:

Ah, yes. One of those.

Thank you for the clarification.

I'm glad you know exactly what I mean, lol.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

What is "one of those" for the rest of us?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chaotic Flame posted:

Any time you see "Mormons" and "true crime" together, you are guaranteed to get something that can be described as a "twisting, turning, stranger-than-fiction true story" because their culture is like it was developed in isolation on the Moon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I liked the first episode of Masters of the Air but I also find Austin Butler very weird to watch in pretty much anything.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Watched No Escape with Ray Liotta on Prime last night, movie still bangs. They don't make em like that anymore.

Any time you see "Mormons" and "true crime" together, you are guaranteed to get something that can be described as a "twisting, turning, stranger-than-fiction true story" because their culture is like it was developed in isolation on the Moon.

Even the ones I had contact with in Northern California were always sorta weird in this 'just under the surface' way, I can't imagine what it's like in an echo chamber like SLC.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is definitely a unique experience in the US to describe everything in relation to a giant temple/subterranean generation ship assembly plant

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mcmagic posted:

I liked the first episode of Masters of the Air but I also find Austin Butler very weird to watch in pretty much anything.

Is he still talking like Elvis?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ammanas posted:

Watched No Escape with Ray Liotta on Prime last night, movie still bangs. They don't make em like that anymore.

Even the ones I had contact with in Northern California were always sorta weird in this 'just under the surface' way, I can't imagine what it's like in an echo chamber like SLC.

theres a big fancy mormon church where im at here in norcal and they have a big used car dealership they also own right next door and all the mormons review spammed it with glowing reviews but its actually a really shitter car dealer lol

ill put on no escape today

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is he still talking like Elvis?

Kinda? He always looks like he's mugging to the camera to me.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

The kind of documentary that, as you watch it, you stand gobsmacked in disbelief that such a situation is even possible. Surely someone would try to intervene? Oh, they *did* intervene and other systemic forces put everything back? And the obvious, inevitable, horrible thing happened? Then the anger sets in.

Dear Zachary is the apex predator of these but a lot of true crime docs can fit the bill. More broadly, documentaries about corporate malfeasance, like Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and Downfall: The Case against Boeing, come pretty close to that special feeling.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The one that does that for me is the OG Doctor Death podcast, which made me laugh out loud at the conclusion as to how he kept getting away with it: he was so personable, persistent and earnest that nobody seemed to mind that he was dangerously incompetent.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

The one that does that for me is the OG Doctor Death podcast, which made me laugh out loud at the conclusion as to how he kept getting away with it: he was so personable, persistent and earnest that nobody seemed to mind that he was dangerously incompetent.

Oh my god HOW WAS HE ABLE TO PRACTICE FOR SO LONG?!?

I get how somebody can swipe oxy for a few years, but this? How much of a blind eye can possibly be turned? Turns out it's quite the blind eye indeed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The one guy who he turned into a paraplegic still considered him a friend. The kind of thing that makes you rethink your conception of what people are like.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Criterion Channel has a James Gray collection for the next couple days of January and I recommend getting in on it. Little Odessa, The Yards, The Immigrant...just get ready to get your heart broken into a billion pieces.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pigma_Micron posted:

More broadly, documentaries about corporate malfeasance, like Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and Downfall: The Case against Boeing, come pretty close to that special feeling.

Thanks for these! My partner and I are really into this kind of documentary, we can't really stomach murder docs anymore

I started Love Has Won and noped out almost immediately at the dead baby. I don't need to see that poo poo. No one does

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Katsuhiro Otomo's (Akira) Memories is available on Prime and I finally watched it and it was fuckin rad. The First segment is incredible. Would be a nice double feature with Scavengers Reign or something.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Katsuhiro Otomo's (Akira) Memories is available on Prime and I finally watched it and it was fuckin rad. The First segment is incredible. Would be a nice double feature with Scavengers Reign or something.
Thanks for the heads up gonna finally watch this.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Empire Queen is now streaming on Prime Video. It just got made.

Watch this first. It was made in 2008.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDyDz8WeiM4

Empire Queen is this music video, expanded upon into a full 2.5 hour feature length 'comedic' fantasy film, released in 2024. The lead singer you see there, Chris Dane Owens, is the director, producer, lead actor, one of the casting directors, and the lead costumer.

It is exactly as good-bad as you think it is. It truly has all the makings of a cult classic, for the same reasons as The Room. It's impossible to truly dislike the movie, considering how much of it is this guy's singular vision and 'lore' that he earnestly put his all into making.

I am begging you all to see this movie. Especially in as big a group as you can manage. Probably with some drinks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

bewilderment posted:

Empire Queen is this music video, expanded upon into a full 2.5 hour feature length 'comedic' fantasy film, released in 2024. The lead singer you see there, Chris Dane Owens, is the director, producer, lead actor, one of the casting directors, and the lead costumer.

It is exactly as good-bad as you think it is. It truly has all the makings of a cult classic, for the same reasons as The Room. It's impossible to truly dislike the movie, considering how much of it is this guy's singular vision and 'lore' that he earnestly put his all into making.

I am begging you all to see this movie. Especially in as big a group as you can manage. Probably with some drinks.

This dude's dad was fuckin Powdered Toast Man

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm watching as many Nicolas Cage movies as I can on Hulu. I say as many as I can because new ones seem to pop up every time I look, this guy could have his own streaming service. There are some good ones, like Willy's Wonderland, and ones like Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, directed by Werner Herzog. That twist made me wonder if it had been bad or brilliant. I'm on Mandy right now, and I'm just pleased as punch that there's another Panos Cosmatos movie. I thought that all he'd done was The Void (available on prime via freevee, with commercials) Beyond the Black Pyramid and that episode of Cabinet of Curiosities (Netflix, watch all episodes immediately). He really Panos Cosmatoses it up too, complete with bizarre lighting, bizarre strobe lighting, weird drugs, mysterious cults, and inexplicable set pieces, props, dialogue and characters.

There are also some Cage movies I can't get through. Hulu says I've watched two minutes of 211, and I have no memory of those two minutes but I trust whatever my reasons for turning it off were.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 30, 2024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Panos did Beyond the Black Rainbow, not The Void. The psycho goreman guy (and a another guy) did the void

Port call new Orleans is amazing

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 30, 2024

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm on Mandy right now, and I'm just pleased as punch that there's another Panos Cosmatos movie. I thought that all he'd done was The Void (available on prime via freevee, with commercials) and that episode of Cabinet of Curiosities (Netflix, watch all episodes immediately). He really Panos Cosmatoses it up too, complete with bizarre lighting, bizarre strobe lighting, weird drugs, mysterious cults, and inexplicable set pieces, props, dialogue and characters.
He didn't do The Void, his other movie is Beyond the Black Rainbow, which is pretty awesome imo

e:b I'm slow at phone posting

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm so stoked to get people around to watch this.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You're wondering if Herzog's Bad Lieutenant was bad or brilliant? Are you an iguana? I didn't think so

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

Panos did Beyond the Black Rainbow, not The Void. The psycho goreman guy (and a another guy) did the void

God that reminds me how much I loving hated Psycho Goreman.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought every one of the movies in question were terrible tbh. It's all just every synthwave cliche put to film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

God that reminds me how much I loving hated Psycho Goreman.

I thought The Void was sloppy, lazy, and amateurish trash. I later heard a lot of people giving it love and felt like I was probably too harsh on someone trying to make something cool without much time or budget. Really should have trusted my instincts before putting on PG. I loved the effects, but woof I could not make it more than halfway through, just so completely not for me. Felt in the same camp as Turno Kid or Samurai Cop 2, obnoxiously trying to chase the "so bad it's good" vibe without having any idea why people enjoy ambitious and earnest low-budget misses. An overly-ironic bad comedy sketch stretched out for way, way too long.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Martman posted:

He didn't do The Void, his other movie is Beyond the Black Rainbow, which is pretty awesome imo

e:b I'm slow at phone posting

Yep, you're right. That's what I get for not double checking. This means I have no memory of one of those movies and will need to rewatch both

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I thought every one of the movies in question were terrible tbh. It's all just every synthwave cliche put to film.

Even Mandy? It's a metal album cover come to life.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

If you look close you can see Akira and Tetsuo walking around in one of the crowd shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

(PG) obnoxiously trying to chase the "so bad it's good" vibe without having any idea why people enjoy ambitious and earnest low-budget misses.

I think this is like saying Cheech and Chong had no idea why people like to smoke pot. I think Psycho Goreman is clearly the product of people with a developed taste for trash, with their own ideas of what makes bad stuff good.

Overall I liked PG (and the Void and Mandy and MAD GOD) because I like to be shown cool/weird/funny poo poo.