Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Feels like someone just discovered Svankmajer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Beekeeper, Monkey Man, what other cool animal action movie we getting this year?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Universal also has Wolfman and Dogman coming lol

we were tired of just being the Dracula studio (we have more Dracula coming as well haha)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

kiimo posted:

Universal also has Wolfman and Dogman coming lol

we were tired of just being the Dracula studio (we have more Dracula coming as well haha)

I had completely forgotten that Robert Eggers is doing a Nosferatu remake.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

checkplease posted:

Beekeeper, Monkey Man, what other cool animal action movie we getting this year?

Kraven

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Godzilla x Kong
Madame Web
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
Wolfs
Lion King: Mufasa

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This felt like watching the trailer for a Cruelty Squad movie.

The name and title font also look like they would be used for a throwback FPS.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
When he spiderwebs the microwave glass on that dudes face as the button on that action scene…god drat. Monkey Man looks sick.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

BonoMan posted:

Feels like someone just discovered Svankmajer.

Svankmajer never made a horror movie. All his movies are just kinda scary on accident because he is Czech

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He uses dead animal corpses for his puppets

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Little Otik is a fairy tale but it is aggressively fuckin' spooky. A pinnochio shouldn't scream and gargle hair

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

kiimo posted:

I said the same thing. And so did Dev.

But nothing really comes close to the hype that song creates. I was like really Bend It Like Beckham? Again? But if it works...it works. All other cues we attempted just didn't hit that sweet spot.

Surely the Maytals would have hit best.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Peccadillo posted:

Svankmajer never made a horror movie. All his movies are just kinda scary on accident because he is Czech

re czechs, Karel Zeman also did some extremely cool and impressive effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Zqglf8Cvs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I had completely forgotten that Robert Eggers is doing a Nosferatu remake.

What? What???

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Peccadillo posted:

That was my point. I didn't want to be too cruel (,the film looks entirely uninteresting to me) but my first thought was "looks alike a film 101 student just discovered Svankmajer" but I dialed it back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

re czechs, Karel Zeman also did some extremely cool and impressive effects

This is a huge understatement

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Shageletic posted:

What? What???

Bill Skarsgård is playing Orlok. Also stars Nicholas Hoult, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Lily-Rose Depp, and Willem Dafoe.

The first key images Focus is using to sell the film are loving incredible, and this is Robert getting to do a dream project. Dude’s been wanting to do this since he was a kid.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 27, 2024

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Looks awesome. Can't wait.

I hope someone gives Eggers another $100 million do do whatever the gently caress he wants again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gatts posted:

Looks awesome. Can't wait.

I hope someone gives Eggers another $100 million do do whatever the gently caress he wants again.

I would if I had it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Jewmanji posted:

It's gotta be the same fight choreographer who does John Wick, right?

edit: Apparently not.

Also apparently Dev Patel lives in my hometown of Adelaide Australia? New hottest Australian just crowned.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Not quite, he just did a stretch of the edit for MM in Adelaide... And intervened during a knife attack in a 7-11 lol

e: to clarify, the particulars of the attack itself weren't exactly "lol" - more so the absurdity of the situation

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 28, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When you're that busy an actor the entire concept of 'lives in' is a stretch anyway.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hjlyknlTaw

This thing is a walking reference machine. Ehhhhhh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate this. the call backs, the reuse of slimer, library ghost, Walter peck, the lines…it’s just…why cant you just make a cool GB movie where they bust some ghosts. Why do we gotta be stuck in the past man

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
You know I think that's precisely why I really liked the new Wonka. Yes it was an origins story but it didn't feel the need to provide some foundation for literally, well, anything really that happened in the original movie. It was totally it's own thing and was soooo much better for it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

thrawn527 posted:

remember the library ghost?
remember slimer?
remember janine being surly on the phone?
remember walter peck?
remember the ghostbusters song?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghostbusters whadda want!

A real movie please! gently caress!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

thrawn527 posted:

The first trailer looked better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BonoMan posted:

You know I think that's precisely why I really liked the new Wonka. Yes it was an origins story but it didn't feel the need to provide some foundation for literally, well, anything really that happened in the original movie. It was totally it's own thing and was soooo much better for it.

Yeah if it was like new Ghostbusters young Grandpa Joe would have been a major character and it would have had some terrible joke about Wonka giving him the idea for naming his grandson Charlie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ready Player One'itis.

I loving hate.

Nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ehud posted:

remember slimer?
remember walter peck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Bill Skarsgård is playing Orlok. Also stars Nicholas Hoult, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Lily-Rose Depp, and Willem Dafoe.

The first key images Focus is using to sell the film are loving incredible, and this is Robert getting to do a dream project. Dude’s been wanting to do this since he was a kid.

Hell yeah. Take my money

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Ehud posted:

remember slimer?
remember walter peck?

It looks so loving awful. I was hoping the remember this would have stopped with afterlife and the gross Harold Ramis ghost but it looks like it's double downing on nostalgia.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm a sucker for a good occult bookstore scene, but based on the rest of the trailer I have to assume that it's just going to be a rehash of GB2.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
ok I actually watched the trailer and it's not THAT bad. It still does look like an original story at least. And I cracked up at Rudd's "Bustin' makes me feel good"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I hate this. the call backs, the reuse of slimer, library ghost, Walter peck, the lines…it’s just…why cant you just make a cool GB movie where they bust some ghosts. Why do we gotta be stuck in the past man

Yeah but also I remember how much this thread despised Ready Player One and it made 600m

I never saw it but nostalgia does work

edit: beaten!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh absolutely. I’m not denying that. It just sucks out loud they can’t just make something cool.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kiimo posted:

Yeah but also I remember how much this thread despised Ready Player One and it made 600m

The general populace are dumb as bricks. More so these days with how mask off loving idiots got. That goes for nerds too being the simplest to please people.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yeah, I turned the thing off half way through. Just the music was getting on my nerves (slow, mystical, magical, portentous) played over all these nostalgia shots.

Ghostbusters were rude and fun. Do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

It can still have the trappings (heh) of Ghostbusters without re-using specific moments or bringing back everything and still totally count for a nostalgia fix.