Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Revenue is down, but overhead is down even further. The cost of streaming something is practically nothing compared to having to manufacture media, store it, and ship it all over the country. Dub voice actors and translators are notoriously underpaid, so if they can just cover their licensing fees, it's almost pure profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Going through Saint Seiya for the first time and the body count in here for a shonen is hilarious. No one comes back to fight another day unless you're a literal phoenix: You lose a fight, you're loving dead, that's it. Love it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! And the band Make-Up that does the OP is one of my favs, they have some cool albums like Straight Liner you can find on YouTube.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
https://x.com/worldofcrap/status/1746239810908676254?s=46&t=8jS-o7_KHq5xMKziwA_ASw
things looking grim on the right stuf dirty pair kickstarter (which i cannot remember if i backed or not)

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

drat, I was putting my watch of the TV anime on hold halfway through because I wanted to watch it with the new dub.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TenementFunster posted:

https://x.com/worldofcrap/status/1746239810908676254?s=46&t=8jS-o7_KHq5xMKziwA_ASw
things looking grim on the right stuf dirty pair kickstarter (which i cannot remember if i backed or not)

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/1746259772629017071

That's wild. And as Justin points out this was the biggest ever anime KS so there it should have been long done.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Combat Lobster posted:

drat, I was putting my watch of the TV anime on hold halfway through because I wanted to watch it with the new dub.
lol owned. subs not dubs!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nipponophile posted:

Dub voice actors and translators are notoriously underpaid, so if they can just cover their licensing fees, it's almost pure profit.
Add to that the fact that VAs invested in home studios during COVID so I'd imagine a lot of the "come in to the studio for 3 days" stuff has been replaced by "Zoom with the VA Director, get some notes, and drop your MP3s into the shared folder in 2 weeks".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The "come to the studio" mindset has unfortunately come back since so much of the work is localized in Texas, California and New York.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Found an interesting rabbit hole to go down today - 1988 catalog from Gaga trying to sell various anime to the US and meeting things halfway in terms of adaptation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1B7UNEL68

The funny thing is if you look at the full catalog it's pretty much most of the big early OAV releases that came from Animeigo and US Manga Corps so it ended up being a success

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. I've never seen the A-Ko sequels, even though I liked the first movie, but that trailer guy is hyping me up here.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

None are as good as the original but 2 is fun enough, 3 is kinda of bleah even though it has an Obari cut (they introduced a guy to have A-ko and B-ko pine over so bleah) and 4 is actually a pretty good wrap up to the series. The VS OAV isn't good but is amusing if you treat it as fanfiction/doujin getting an animation

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

None are as good as the original but 2 is fun enough, 3 is kinda of bleah even though it has an Obari cut (they introduced a guy to have A-ko and B-ko pine over so bleah) and 4 is actually a pretty good wrap up to the series. The VS OAV isn't good but is amusing if you treat it as fanfiction/doujin getting an animation

Do you recall which one was in heavy rotation on early Sci-Fi Channel?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In Canada so we didn't get Sci-fi channel we had Space. I'm not sure Space had the A-ko movies in it's limited window of CPM anime it aired at the start but that's ages ago so I could have forgotten

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did A-ko ever air on Tech TV's late night anime block in Canada?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 20, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

IIRC that block was most Genom stuff though I didn't watch a lot of it at the time as I was fully into buying DVD's and downloading DivX fansubs

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Dawgstar posted:

Do you recall which one was in heavy rotation on early Sci-Fi Channel?

If I recall, Sci fi had the weird alternate world movie (VS blue or something?) and I think the first one? I just remember the classic anime sailor uniform. Man, I loved the Saturday morning anime.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sci Fi Channel is where I saw Fist of the North Star, at least I think it was, I remember them using excessive amounts of pixelization for all the excessive blood

I remember Lily C.A.T. in the rotation too, I think that's just an Alien ripoff IIRC

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Good soup! posted:

Sci Fi Channel is where I saw Fist of the North Star, at least I think it was, I remember them using excessive amounts of pixelization for all the excessive blood

I remember Lily C.A.T. in the rotation too, I think that's just an Alien ripoff IIRC
that was probably just the quality of the betamax “master”

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The Saturday morning anime options I remember are: Akira, two project a-ko movies, vampire hunter d, lily cat, demon city shinjuku... Wicked city maybe? That's about it. Green legend ran? I'm sure I'm missing a few.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They also had Casshern: Robot Hunter, one of the Tank Police OVAs, IRIA 1 & 2, maybe one of the Lodoss Wars, something Mars, GalForce:Eternal. I think I'm missing one or two.

It Gets kind of muddy since they had two or three Summer Anime blocks (one with Apollo Smile, your Live Action Anime Girl!). So I forget if those offerings filtered down into their Saturday block.

That would have been stuff like Tenchi Muyo: The Movie, FATAL FURY 1&2, the Galaxy Expresses, Beautiful Dreamer.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

They also had Casshern: Robot Hunter, one of the Tank Police OVAs, IRIA 1 & 2, maybe one of the Lodoss Wars, something Mars, GalForce:Eternal. I think I'm missing one or two.

It Gets kind of muddy since they had two or three Summer Anime blocks (one with Apollo Smile, your Live Action Anime Girl!). So I forget if those offerings filtered down into their Saturday block.

That would have been stuff like Tenchi Muyo: The Movie, FATAL FURY 1&2, the Galaxy Expresses, Beautiful Dreamer.

Oh man I remember most of these now. Gal force really threw me as a 12 year old, I kept wondering why all the characters kept dying off.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good soup! posted:

Not sure if they added extra but the FotNS movie was always censored by a weird blurry filter.

Originally it wasn't going to have it (and there's at least one trailer that used the filterless version and the Italian home release was based on a workprint version that didn't have it for some scenes) but the popularity of the toned down tv anime with younger kids forced them to add the filter late into production.

I remember reading that it was due to protests from the Japanese PTA but can't find any evidence of that now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I think Tenchi in Love might have been my first exposure to the franchise which was not ideal. I eventually came around to the typical line of thinking: The OVA is good, the TV series too long and everything else is strictly a matter of personal taste.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I eventually came around to the typical line of thinking: The OVA is good, the TV series too long and everything else is strictly a matter of personal taste.

I'm the weirdo who dislikes how convoluted the relationships are in the OVA series, prefers Tenchi Universe (TV), and Tenchi in Tokyo has some funny parts and the pink cabbit giant robot but also ruins my favorite favor character's personality.

Never did watch GXP since it was a different set of characters.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Not sure if they added extra but the FotNS movie was always censored by a weird blurry filter.

Originally it wasn't going to have it (and there's at least one trailer that used the filterless version and the Italian home release was based on a workprint version that didn't have it for some scenes) but the popularity of the toned down tv anime with younger kids forced them to add the filter late into production.

I remember reading that it was due to protests from the Japanese PTA but can't find any evidence of that now.

Yeah I remember reading about the blurry filter but these were mosaic-style pixelization that you might see on a newscast or something.

I distinctly remember the shot of Ken pulling the arrow out of his chest having a long stretch of pixelated censorship that disappeared when it was gone instead

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

KariOhki posted:

I'm the weirdo who dislikes how convoluted the relationships are in the OVA series, prefers Tenchi Universe (TV), and Tenchi in Tokyo has some funny parts and the pink cabbit giant robot but also ruins my favorite favor character's personality.

GXP is a colossal expulsion of poo poo. A fecal Jackson Pollack piece with none of the art or fun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno if I've talked about it in here or not but I just don't understand the Tenchi creator. He made this elaborate scifi universe/multiverse, full of all these neat ideas about cosmic beings and civilizations, and technology and then he obscures all of it behind a harem anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chad behaviour imo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if I've talked about it in here or not but I just don't understand the Tenchi creator. He made this elaborate scifi universe/multiverse, full of all these neat ideas about cosmic beings and civilizations, and technology and then he obscures all of it behind a harem anime.

Urusei Yatsura was still huge so going for that dynamic but with a bit more focus on a serious sci-fi side feels like a great pitch at the time and at times it felt like Tenchi was going to do it....Only to not do it and just lean more into the harem side of things. But than that's probably cause Tenchi has large gaps inbetween series too

El Hazzard feels like a much better version of a Tenchi type show and I think holds up way better though some of the Tenchi spin offs like Pretty Sammy are low key important series

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Chad behaviour imo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

El Hazzard feels like a much better version of a Tenchi type show and I think holds up way better though some of the Tenchi spin offs like Pretty Sammy are low key important series

El-Hazard was such a fun OVA. It also had the first really good dub I can recall seeing and did some very fun things with localization, like Jinnai in the original names his five lieutenants after Japanese comedians that I promise nobody watching in English heard of so in the dub he names them after the Marx Brothers.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Chad behaviour imo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

KariOhki posted:

I’ve watched the first two OVA seasons, all of the movies, and some of the tv seasons.

The first Tenchi movie is probably the only bit of Tenchi that I can wholeheartedly recommend, and it’s based on the tv series, so I’m in agreement with you.

The other movies are quite confusing unless you understand the nuances behind the relationships between each character. And supposedly the 2nd movie is based on the OVA continuity despite the fact that it has a character that doesn’t truly exist in the OVA series (she’s mainly a tv character). The 3rd movie (Tenchi in Love) feels like a plot to an episode that was so irrelevant that they shelved the idea instead of turning it into an episode. And then they decided to flesh it out to an entire rear end movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TIL Project A-Ko has sequels. Huh.

Somehow I missed the entire Tenchi franchise. I'm not sure HOW but the entire thing ended up scooting past me...except for Dual, which I didn't even realize was a Tenchi thing until after I had finished watching it.

Also wow looking it up and there's a lot more Tenchi spinoffs than I thought.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

Also wow looking it up and there's a lot more Tenchi spinoffs than I thought.

Yeah, periodically Pioneer or whomever wheels their little cart into the Tenchi mine and emerges with content but to further torture the mine analogy said mine is getting played out.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh man, my friends and I were talking about random shows we used to watch constantly ages ago. I remember having the street fighter 2 V tapes and watching them over and over (the first time I learned about the name changes) and my friend had a few dvds of the bubblegum crisis show (the one from 2000 or whenever) we'd watch all the time.

Really hoping discotek gets some blu ray releases going someday.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh man, my friends and I were talking about random shows we used to watch constantly ages ago. I remember having the street fighter 2 V tapes and watching them over and over (the first time I learned about the name changes) and my friend had a few dvds of the bubblegum crisis show (the one from 2000 or whenever) we'd watch all the time.

I'm in the minority but I liked BGC 2040 even if it's very of its time but it absolutely doesn't have the OVA's wild energy (or its animation budget).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Big fan of those too, 2040 is one of my favs. And Street Fighter 2 V is really entertaining, got both of those on DVD yes indeed. BGC 2040 is some essential ADV DVD.

Gotta love that "What is anime?" promo they put on a lot of their DVDs. I mean we probably already know what it is, kinda preaching to the choir, but good cheese.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oANM1UezjPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's a delightful trip down memory lane. Lot of RaXephon and Excel in there. Some Noir too.

I remember Excel's original dub actress Jessica Calvello got so into voicing her she blew her voice out and had to be replaced halfway through.