Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I like the app Insular for managing work profile stuff, including second camera + second gallery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's a bonus feature drop to Pixel 8 series before the end of the month that's bringing the circle to search and also enabling "medical grade" temperature taking for people.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

bull3964 posted:

There's a bonus feature drop to Pixel 8 series before the end of the month that's bringing the circle to search and also enabling "medical grade" temperature taking for people.

loving finally. I'm sick of this black market and recreational temperature taking I've been doing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having a bitch of a time trying to reinstall and log into the Eventbrite Organizer app on this Samsung Note10 that replaced my Pixel.

Context: I work security for friends'events and use the Organizer app to check people in. Previously I logged in using the actual event organizers Eventbrite account so I could see the guest list and check people in using their QR code tickets.

When I got this new phone I accidentally deleted the Play Store app, thinking I wouldn't need it anymore since I'm not on a Google device. This has caused a host of problems downloading certain apps.

I found a workaround to actually DOWNLOAD the Organizer app - some sketchy third-party app called Aptoide. So now I have the Eventbrite Organizer app, but for some reason it's not letting anyone log in using a manual email address. The error prompt literally says "unexpected error. That was weird. Try again".

Any ideas? This is kind of embarrassing.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm having a bitch of a time trying to reinstall and log into the Eventbrite Organizer app on this Samsung Note10 that replaced my Pixel.

Context: I work security for friends'events and use the Organizer app to check people in. Previously I logged in using the actual event organizers Eventbrite account so I could see the guest list and check people in using their QR code tickets.

When I got this new phone I accidentally deleted the Play Store app, thinking I wouldn't need it anymore since I'm not on a Google device. This has caused a host of problems downloading certain apps.

I found a workaround to actually DOWNLOAD the Organizer app - some sketchy third-party app called Aptoide. So now I have the Eventbrite Organizer app, but for some reason it's not letting anyone log in using a manual email address. The error prompt literally says "unexpected error. That was weird. Try again".

Any ideas? This is kind of embarrassing.

I'd factory reset the phone just to make sure there isn't any sketch poo poo on it from that app you downloaded, and start over from scratch with the play store on the stock starting point.

If that's not doable for you, maybe go to apk mirror and download the play store over again? Or can you possible sign into play store from a browser with your Google account and then search for "play store" and see if it'll let you download it or install it to your device from there.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is the phone rooted? I don't think you can uninstall the play store otherwise. If it's not rooted then possibly it's just disabled

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-222928/

Not familiar with that apk site so maybe factory resetting is not a bad idea if it's a shady site

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-pixel-phones-unusable-after-january-2024-system-update/

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

This has been talked about. It's a Play Services update that got stopped when the problem started getting reported.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For all my Samsung grousing, I couldn’t resist the trade in to get the S24U from the S23U (sucker for flat screen.)

And, well, they shipped super early and the S24U arrived this morning. Here’s hoping gorilla glass armor does something magical to the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor that makes it work well for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bull3964 posted:

For all my Samsung grousing, I couldn’t resist the trade in to get the S24U from the S23U (sucker for flat screen.)

And, well, they shipped super early and the S24U arrived this morning. Here’s hoping gorilla glass armor does something magical to the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor that makes it work well for me.

I, uh, also did this. But I think I got one of the super special Samsung colors and it's telling me I'll get it in March lol.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

explosivo posted:

I, uh, also did this. But I think I got one of the super special Samsung colors and it's telling me I'll get it in March lol.

I must be lucky, I ordered one of those colors as well (orange).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got the orange too :3:

Looks like it's been upgraded to 2/23 so that's good, but I think I just waited too long to order because when I first checked on day 1 the estimate was way earlier than that. There's always the possibility it'll ship sooner than that anyway.

Edit: I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the phone if you can grab one or two, there's surprisingly few images of what the phone looks like in that color other than the renders of the back only.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 26, 2024

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm still undecided on upgrading from my S22 (and on upgrading to the S24U if I do) and every review site is a lovely AI clickfarm now, so I'll be interested in people's opinions here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I’m waiting for JRE to do his test, but I did see one other youtube channel do the mohs hardness pick test on the Gorilla Glass Armor and…

it was scratches at a level 7 with deeper grooves at a level 8.

If that really is the case, then this glass is the first substantial improvement on the screen glass for scratches that we’ve seen in a long time.

Edit: The reduction in reflections is real and even more of a reason to not use a screen protector for this phone. It’s actually really meaningful on how much the reflections are cut down.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 26, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Whoo, Facebook (I know) has started sending me push apps for group recommendations.

I guess I just have to learn to live with it since I can't find the relevant settings (and already have notifications for groups in general turned off).

Excellent work guys. That dude that doesn't even want to hear about his own friends posting in the groups he's actually already in? That dude is just waiting to get notified of a new bookclub in a nearby city.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 27, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You have to do it per group. :rolleyes:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'd ask what the purpose of this is, why they would do extra work to do something that might very well annoy the user without generating any kid of revenue or substantially improving the experience for anyone.

But lol those things are irrelevant

And I wouldn't be that surprised to learn that the honest answer is 'Actually, our aging users appreciate being informed of new racist militias close to them, even if their grandchildren set the group notifications off when setting up their account.'

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know it's only a day out and could settle down, but I feel like the S24U chews through battery on wireless android auto at like double the pace of my pixels.

Good news is so far the fingerprint sensor has been behaving better. I don't know if it's because the weather warmed up since yesterday or if some change in hardware or software improved things, but we'll see.

It still rejected about 30% of the enrollment touches of my left thumb though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Are phones getting appreciably faster/better these days? I have a Oneplus 8. When I look around at new phones they don't really seem to be a significant improvement. Is the phone space stagnating?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Lord Stimperor posted:

Are phones getting appreciably faster/better these days? I have a Oneplus 8. When I look around at new phones they don't really seem to be a significant improvement. Is the phone space stagnating?

It's been stagnated for 5+ years beyond incremental improvements.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, the hardware has increased in leaps and bounds.

Having a use case to actually stress that hardware? Not so much.

I've talked about this before, but major bit of stagnation is just getting to the next mobile use case. That's why the focus in the past 18 months seems to be AI, even though we don't have a ton of relevant uses for that yet either.

We're hitting on the edge of what can be done with cameras, battery life in most cases is beyond a day, screens are bright accurate and fluid.

Phones are pretty much at the same point computers were 10 years ago. Unless you are doing some niche case that requires something extra, not much is going to be different between a 1, 2, or even 4 year old phone.

We're even starting to see it in device reviews, or rather the lack there of. Tech YouTubers like Mr. Mobile have openly said they are doing to start reviewing fewer and fewer regular phones because there's not anything to differentiate them beyond aesthetics.

For reference, I keep my old scratched OnePlus 7 Pro by my bedside and I could totally be fine running with that today outside of the meh photos. Functionally, it wouldn't hinder me at all and it's turning 5 in a few months. It's still fast, fairly fluid, and just sorta works. Big downside is no security patches though.

That's why I have no trouble at all believing 7 years of updates from Google. The Pixel 8 will probably still be a perfectly cromulent device in 2030 while we fight the wasteland water gangs.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 27, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I had a chance to see the S24. For those who got it already, how do you feel about the flat frame? I actually thought that a flat frame would look more professional on the S line. But holding it in my hand felt slightly awkward. Although maybe just because I'm not used to it.

bull3964 posted:

That's why I have no trouble at all believing 7 years of updates from Google. The Pixel 8 will probably still be a perfectly cromulent device in 2030 while we fight the wasteland water gangs.

I would think that if anything a shorter support life would be on the horizon if the speed of hardware improvements flattens out even more.

Also, who buys a Pixel as opposed to a Pixel a? I know plenty of people making six figures. The majority of my friends and acquaintances in fact. Even those who aren't stingy at all don't see the point of the flagship.

Also also, I played around with a iPhone SE at the same time as I saw the S24 in the store. It seems super slow. Even just opening up the notes app was lagging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bright Bart posted:

Also, who buys a Pixel as opposed to a Pixel a?

If you want the best, most versatile, cameras.

If anyone is paying full price for flagships from any manufacturer, you are doing it wrong, so price isn't a huge factor there.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Are Samsung S Pens compatible between the S23 and the new S24?

My wife lost her S23 pen and if I can just grab a new S24 pen that works. If I have to hunt for a specific S23 pen I can do that too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Should work to write, but I have no idea if it would fit in the slot or not and I'm too afraid to try.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

bull3964 posted:

Should work to write, but I have no idea if it would fit in the slot or not and I'm too afraid to try.

Thanks. I searched around and found a S23 pen just to be sure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Who the hell at Samsung thought this was a good idea?

I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out why notification channels were not showing up on my S24U. So many apps don't have the ability to fine tune notifications within the app and rely on notification channels to do it so I couldn't get things to the point where I would normally have them.

Stuff like AccuWeather, I only want government alerts and not forecast change alerts (and the in app setting doesn't work properly to limit that.)

Well, on OneUI 6.1 they apparently have a toggle for "Manage notification categories for each app" and it's turned off by default.

There is no defensible reason why this toggle should even exist. There's no reason to not show notification channels, you can still manage all notifications at the app level. This hasn't existed in any Galaxy device to date or if it has, it's defaulted to on.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

They want to make it more difficult to turn off Samsung and partner (paid) notifications.

Edit: doesn't surprise me, either. The amount of people I see using the default app that came on their phone is pretty huge. People will see that stuff and either ignore or accept it.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 28, 2024

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sarnsung'd again

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

sleepwalkers posted:

sarnsung'd again

This was my exact thought. They've been doing bizarre bad things since inception. That's kinda their thing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

It's all $$$.

Defaulting to notifications settings that favor ad placements, preloaded carrier apps in /system where they can't be removed, etc, etc. everything you see that isn't the default in Android is driven by per unit incentives.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Have there been any reliable leaks or rumors about a pixel fold 2 this year?

I am hoping that it is trashed alongside the pixel 9 with comparable specs.

edit: oops, trashed = released

thanks g-board

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 29, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm assuming you meant released.

That's my hope as well, I want the Fold to be on the same rrelease schedule and in lockstep with the mainline Pixel as far as specs go. The fact that we haven't had leaks yet makes me think a summer 2024 release is unlikely, but who knows.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone know of a way to turn a phone into a device that only runs one app all the time?

I wanted our seven year old to be able to listen to music (Tidal) like an mp3 player so I got an old pixel (I think it was a pixel 3) with no sim and disabled all the apps I could. It worked well enough but he of course eventually started poking around and funnily enough he found the emoji/sticker search in the keyboard app (gboard) and started spending a lot of time searching for "memes" (while also listening to music but still). I had not anticipated this.

And then of course today he had an unlucky drop and the screen is totally smashed.

If I am going to do this again (am I??) I suppose I want something that:

- allows removing/disabling the keyboard app, or only provides one without all the sticker/search stuff that is so common now
- allows disabling/removing as much as possible
- allows pinning an app in some way

If I buy a used samsung, or some other make, or even an iphone, would it be easier to hit more of those targets? It would be great if there was some existing project that tried to provide something like this. I don't really want to get back into rooting phones and installing custom roms and all that awful poo poo.

When I first tried to set this up I actually bought some "modern" mp3 player from amazon that had wifi and what turned out to be awful Tidal integration. I'm not opposed to doing that again but it needs to be dead simple to use and Just Work and that was not my experience at all with that thing.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I have a friend that just bought a new S24 phone. When he browses websites in the Chrome browser, they are really small, as if they're loading in desktop mode. The Samsung browser doesn't do this. Is there a setting somewhere to fix this?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kiwid posted:

I have a friend that just bought a new S24 phone. When he browses websites in the Chrome browser, they are really small, as if they're loading in desktop mode. The Samsung browser doesn't do this. Is there a setting somewhere to fix this?

There's a checkbox in the settings once you're on the website accessed by tapping the 3 dots in the top right corner that lets you enable/disable desktop mode, maybe have him check that?

Edit: In that same menu if you click 'settings' then scroll down to 'Site Settings', then scroll down some more to 'Desktop Site' it lets you set a global setting, maybe that somehow got toggled?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

explosivo posted:

There's a checkbox in the settings once you're on the website accessed by tapping the 3 dots in the top right corner that lets you enable/disable desktop mode, maybe have him check that?

Edit: In that same menu if you click 'settings' then scroll down to 'Site Settings', then scroll down some more to 'Desktop Site' it lets you set a global setting, maybe that somehow got toggled?

Thanks, I'll have him check this out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

other people posted:

Does anyone know of a way to turn a phone into a device that only runs one app all the time?

I wanted our seven year old to be able to listen to music (Tidal) like an mp3 player so I got an old pixel (I think it was a pixel 3) with no sim and disabled all the apps I could. It worked well enough but he of course eventually started poking around and funnily enough he found the emoji/sticker search in the keyboard app (gboard) and started spending a lot of time searching for "memes" (while also listening to music but still). I had not anticipated this.

And then of course today he had an unlucky drop and the screen is totally smashed.

- allows removing/disabling the keyboard app, or only provides one without all the sticker/search stuff that is so common now

If I buy a used samsung, or some other make, or even an iphone, would it be easier to hit more of those targets? It would be great if there was some existing project that tried to provide something like this. I don't really want to get back into rooting phones and installing custom roms and all that awful poo poo.

When I first tried to set this up I actually bought some "modern" mp3 player from amazon that had wifi and what turned out to be awful Tidal integration. I'm not opposed to doing that again but it needs to be dead simple to use and Just Work and that was not my experience at all with that thing.

Samsungs have kids mode. I've also used app pinning on my pixels. You can set it so that it requires the PIN to switch to any other app.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

other people posted:

As a Tidal user, you should be able to download music from them at any quality. You could pick up something like a Sony Walkman and put music on there that way. I know it's not quite what you're asking for but just wanted to throw it out as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

AlexDeGruven posted:

Samsungs have kids mode. I've also used app pinning on my pixels. You can set it so that it requires the PIN to switch to any other app.

I've never noticed anything about pinned apps having a PIN. Let me see if I can find that..

Ah, this: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/6118421?hl=en

That is coool but it is the same PIN that unlocks the screen, right? So if I put a PIN on the device he would either have to have the PIN, so be able to unpin tidal, or have to ask us every time he wants to use the phone. ?

withoutclass posted:

As a Tidal user, you should be able to download music from them at any quality. You could pick up something like a Sony Walkman and put music on there that way. I know it's not quite what you're asking for but just wanted to throw it out as an option.

You can make tracks and albums offline but you can't get any sort of unencrypted file that you can move somewhere else. Maybe it is like widevine and easy enough to get past but that makes for a pretty clunky experience. Besides, I like that he can search and find new things on Tidal.