Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taman
May 21, 2003

My mama said that I'm not living right
It's a rage print, really. I had an 18 hour print fail with like an hour to go because the spool was wound like poo poo and had a tangle.

It's the Pastamatic filament spool winding machine https://www.printables.com/model/466883-pastamatic-filament-spool-winder-for-bambu-lab-x1c/comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I have no idea where people are saying sunlu dark grey is brittle, it's super rubbery for me, it's great stuff

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

queeb posted:

Yeah I have no idea where people are saying sunlu dark grey is brittle, it's super rubbery for me, it's great stuff

People are just kinda sending default times from the manufacturor instead of tuning

That and over curing during cleanup

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Listerine posted:

Thanks for the links.

Follow up- how easy is ASA to print?

Easier than ABS.

Also better objects (for my purposes).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ryanrs posted:

I am not a paint pig

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I wonder how the 3d printer on the ISS works. Seems like you'd have to change a lot of things to deal with microgravity. Like, resin printing probably wouldn't work at all. But what kind of filament are they using? Do they have different colors, or does everything come out, like, safety orange, so you can tell at a glance that something was printed and/or find it easily? How does the extruder fan work? Does it run at 48VDC? Do particles linger in the air and require some sort of active filtration system in the enclosure?

Space is a cool engineering challenge.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

cruft posted:

I wonder how the 3d printer on the ISS works. Seems like you'd have to change a lot of things to deal with microgravity. Like, resin printing probably wouldn't work at all. But what kind of filament are they using? Do they have different colors, or does everything come out, like, safety orange, so you can tell at a glance that something was printed and/or find it easily? How does the extruder fan work? Does it run at 48VDC? Do particles linger in the air and require some sort of active filtration system in the enclosure?

Space is a cool engineering challenge.

Those are interesting questions, but I bet microgravity doesn’t impact the actual printing process very much. Turns out you can mount an FDM printer fully upside down or even swinging loose from a rope and as long as the frame holds together well enough it kinda just works, at least per this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/FYuqLsvRXhU?si=b9ngwp5jLbiBTTgE

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Arcsech posted:

Those are interesting questions, but I bet microgravity doesn’t impact the actual printing process very much. Turns out you can mount an FDM printer fully upside down or even swinging loose from a rope and as long as the frame holds together well enough it kinda just works, at least per this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/FYuqLsvRXhU?si=b9ngwp5jLbiBTTgE

Yeah, FDM, makes sense, it's just extrude+adhere. With resin printers, I think gravity is probably pretty friggin' important!

Although I vaguely recall hearing about something that used a tub of tiny plastic beads instead of fluid, I still feel like the risk of crap escaping and floating into a critical instrument would be too great.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Has anyone tried 3 in 1 or WD40 Dry Lube with PTFE on their resin FEP? Seems like a bandaid fix for poorly set up printers, but it's the rabbit hole I'm interested in today.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Don't put anything in your vat that's not resin. Period.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Today I decided to dust off the 0.25mm nozzle I got for my Revo and see how it prints. I threw a 1" tall benchy (an inchy?) at it to see how it did. Turns out it printed surprisingly well for a first appempt, ignoring the stringiness from old filament.

Question for the thread: I went in to this thinking that oozing problems should be better with a smaller nozzle, but apparently not. The 0.25mm nozzle oozes like crazy. The engineer-y side of me could see how heat transfer into the filament would be way more efficient with smaller diameter filaments, do people typically have to slightly lower nozzle temps for small nozzles to slow the ooze, or is there something else I should be looking at to minimize small nozzle oozing?

smax fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 27, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deviant posted:

Has anyone tried 3 in 1 or WD40 Dry Lube with PTFE on their resin FEP? Seems like a bandaid fix for poorly set up printers, but it's the rabbit hole I'm interested in today.

I had to use a ptfe spray lube when printing with flexible resins otherwise they'd just glue themselves to my FEP. Sprayed onto a paper towel and wiped my sheet.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

cruft posted:

Yeah, FDM, makes sense, it's just extrude+adhere. With resin printers, I think gravity is probably pretty friggin' important!

they're definitely using FDM up there. uncontained fluids in microgravity are apparently really lovely to deal with and smelly, toxic fluids are certainly no help. how would you make a wash station even?

e: https://www.nasa.gov/image-article/international-space-stations-3-d-printer-2/

other than being wildly expensive and overengineered looking it seems like it's a bed slinger.

e: no, it's xy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy11alCPe60

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 28, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Blobs of resin and IPA floating through the air, worming their way into computers etc.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

smax posted:

Today I decided to dust off the 0.25mm nozzle I got for my Revo and see how it prints. I threw a 1" tall benchy (an inchy?) at it to see how it did. Turns out it printed surprisingly well for a first appempt, ignoring the stringiness from old filament.

Question for the thread: I went in to this thinking that oozing problems should be better with a smaller nozzle, but apparently not. The 0.25mm nozzle oozes like crazy. The engineer-y side of me could see how heat transfer into the filament would be way more efficient with smaller diameter filaments, do people typically have to slightly lower nozzle temps for small nozzles to slow the ooze, or is there something else I should be looking at to minimize small nozzle oozing?

The latest slicer and firmware updates since that looks like a Prusa?

I'd blame most of that oozing on the filament because it's rare that default settings with a known profile go wrong for me lately.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Deviant posted:

It's exactly that.

You're better then that lol, it's easy

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i just run the calibration cones on my stuff every once in awhile to check it, but im actually up to like 2.8 seconds on my mono x2's to get a pass on them, seems long but any lower will not pass on any of them.

also:

this is becoming pretty common lately, must be people recovering from christmas

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

queeb posted:

yeah i just run the calibration cones on my stuff every once in awhile to check it, but im actually up to like 2.8 seconds on my mono x2's to get a pass on them, seems long but any lower will not pass on any of them.

also:

this is becoming pretty common lately, must be people recovering from christmas

How long will it take you to print and ship a single order that size?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

DoubleT2172 posted:

How long will it take you to print and ship a single order that size?

that one specifically maybe a week, only like a day to print stuff but its a big paint job too, so wont hog up my printers too long

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Some Pinko Commie posted:

The latest slicer and firmware updates since that looks like a Prusa?

I'd blame most of that oozing on the filament because it's rare that default settings with a known profile go wrong for me lately.

It is a Prusa, and it does have the latest profiles installed.

During mesh bed leveling for the first layer calibration, it was oozing so bad that it dropped a blob of filament on the bed on every spot for the 9x9 grid. At least, until so much filament had oozed out that it stopped. It oozed so much filament that the purge line didn’t actually push any filament out until the last half inch.

After that I made sure to put in the modified heating logic I’ve used for my 0.4mm profile that does mesh bed leveling with a nozzle temp of 160C to keep anything from running out during bed leveling, oozing is still a problem though. I’ll swap filaments tomorrow and see how it goes.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Is there a good alternative to Fusion 360? I've done two tutorials with it that are "Beginners start here!" styled and I'm getting so frustrated with the UI, inability (mostly from lack of knowledge on how to edit it) and the tutorials flat not working (some constraint is wrong, but I have no idea how to edit or find the constraints). I'm absolutely miserable using it.

Everyone said Blender had a much higher learning curve, but I've actually enjoyed my time learning Blender. Fusion is lots of getting so mad/frustrated, that I have to walk away for a few hours and then decide to try again with the same result.

Edit: I took some time and designed something myself with the little I had learned from the tutorials and was able to model it. I now understand a little better what they were talking about in the video. Sorry I had a mad tantrum about it. Turns out I actually am learning it, I guess.

mrbass21 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 28, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you have technical requirements Fusions better. Otherwise if its sculpts or other aesthetic pieces where function doesnt particularly matter blender is fine. You can do advanced stuff with some blender plugins tho

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

smax posted:

It is a Prusa, and it does have the latest profiles installed.

During mesh bed leveling for the first layer calibration, it was oozing so bad that it dropped a blob of filament on the bed on every spot for the 9x9 grid. At least, until so much filament had oozed out that it stopped. It oozed so much filament that the purge line didn’t actually push any filament out until the last half inch.

After that I made sure to put in the modified heating logic I’ve used for my 0.4mm profile that does mesh bed leveling with a nozzle temp of 160C to keep anything from running out during bed leveling, oozing is still a problem though. I’ll swap filaments tomorrow and see how it goes.

Some of the last firmware update incorporates that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

mrbass21 posted:

Is there a good alternative to Fusion 360? I've done two tutorials with it that are "Beginners start here!" styled and I'm getting so frustrated with the UI, inability (mostly from lack of knowledge on how to edit it) and the tutorials flat not working (some constraint is wrong, but I have no idea how to edit or find the constraints). I'm absolutely miserable using it.

Everyone said Blender had a much higher learning curve, but I've actually enjoyed my time learning Blender. Fusion is lots of getting so mad/frustrated, that I have to walk away for a few hours and then decide to try again with the same result.

Edit: I took some time and designed something myself with the little I had learned from the tutorials and was able to model it. I now understand a little better what they were talking about in the video. Sorry I had a mad tantrum about it. Turns out I actually am learning it, I guess.

What are you trying to do? Fusion and Blender are for very different things. Fusion is for engineered parts or things that fit together or have mechanical motion and blender is best suited for more artistic designs. Not to say you can’t do the reverse in either one, but that’s just not what they’re for.

As far as engineering CAD goes, Onshape honestly has the best elearning setup for beginners and is free. It’s a series of videos per topic that are less than five minutes for you to follow along with.

For the most part, skills are transferable between CAD systems, so if you end up wanting to change back to Fusion, you’re not totally in the dark.

We have a CAD thread as well in case you have specific questions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

What are you trying to do? Fusion and Blender are for very different things. Fusion is for engineered parts or things that fit together or have mechanical motion and blender is best suited for more artistic designs. Not to say you can’t do the reverse in either one, but that’s just not what they’re for.

As far as engineering CAD goes, Onshape honestly has the best elearning setup for beginners and is free. It’s a series of videos per topic that are less than five minutes for you to follow along with.

For the most part, skills are transferable between CAD systems, so if you end up wanting to change back to Fusion, you’re not totally in the dark.

We have a CAD thread as well in case you have specific questions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

"What are you trying to do?" Both, essentially. I started with blender because I wanted to make some tabletop terrain and try to be artistic, so I started learning Blender and was having fun with it. Then I decided I wanted to try and make some functional parts, since I had heard Fusion was easier to learn than Blender.

Part of it is how frustrating it is that all the programs (Blender, Fusion, Slicers) use some similar keybinds but some of them are very different (rotating and panning in 3D, for instance). The tutorial kept saying things like "We are doing this step to keep it parametric" and I had no idea what that meant. I would also create some sketch and mess up a size of something and I couldn't figure out how to resize it, and ended up just deleting everything and starting over from a blank project multiple times. The timeline made no sense when I initially tried to interact with it.

The second tutorial I did introduced doing revolves by creating a bottle and then making a shell in the interior. I got to the last step and when you select the very top of the bottle and do the shell, and it makes the bottle hollow. But on my project, it selected the whole bottle and did something crazy. There were Youtube comments with other people having the same thing happen. He said it was because the top of the bottle had an issue where it wasn't horizontally constrained to be flat, but I applied the constraint and moved points around and it never worked.

I can say that after going and modeling something myself (sponge holder for my sink), it came out the way I wanted, so I feel better about it, and I'll keep doing the tutorials and learning it. I guess I needed to be able to do something without mapped out instructions to see that I _had_ actually made progress. The holder could be way better and I don't know how to do those things in the software yet, but I got motivation to keep going with it!

Thanks for the replies and offers for help. I do appreciate it. I probably shouldn't have come to rage post while I was still deep in frustration mode.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a much easier time getting stuff designed in OnShape instead of Fusion360, possibly because I made a concentrated effort to learn it instead of trying to work things out on my own from decades-old Autocad bad habits and muscle memory.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Every Fusion 360 tutorial I’ve seen is created by maniacs without any particular care for actually understanding best practices and why they are best practices. I see a lot of videos that complain about performance and it’s because they’ve created a crazy sketch or are working inside an assembly with hundreds of modeled threads.

The Fusion 360 timeline setup is also, I agree, completely stupid. It de-emphasizes how important those features are and that they’re the primary driver of your geometry and performance. In every other parametric CAD software I’ve used, all those features are occupying a bunch of screen space in a highly visible way because it’s important.

It’s kind of my overall view on Fusion in a single phrase: everything about it is adequate. I wouldn’t use it for professional work again, though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d be willing to bet money you can set Blender to have the same hot keys as Fusion via the settings or a plugin/addon. You could do your drat taxes in that program if you were deranged enough.

That said I’d probably say stick to fusion for anything “in the real world”. Blender absolutely can do it but when I last tried it was a bit hinky for stuff dealing with absolute sizes and scales and so on.

You’re not going to like the answer but I bet the best way to skin the cat is “both”. Do the creative modeling in Blender and then import the model into your CAD program of choice to make sure the dimensions and so on are what you want. Keep the functional stuff in CAD. That said, most slicers can scale and measure just fine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Also, Onshape is pretty easy to get a handle on. You can model out something from 0 in like 15 minutes, is free, and runs in your browser so it is performant and works on whatever. The downside is the face it’s browser only

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

withak posted:

I have a much easier time getting stuff designed in OnShape instead of Fusion360, possibly because I made a concentrated effort to learn it instead of trying to work things out on my own from decades-old Autocad bad habits and muscle memory.

I might give onshale a go. I bounce of fusion so hard whenever I try to get serious with it. Something about how it's menus are nested, controls are buried in context menus, and applying constraints just doesn't work for me

And I say this as someone using a ton of technical software daily

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Onshape’s biggest downside for me are the icon designs. I wish they had more colors to be able to identify them more readily.

It has so many upsides, though. The elearning course for fundamentals actually tells you why the documents are laid out the way they are.

Unlimited undo/redo history and being able to insert a revision retroactively is so goddamn nice.

I have a bunch of CAD Nerd Opinions™️ about things like there being no difference between a part and a solid body is genius but I’ll save ‘em for the CAD thread if anyone actually cares.

It’s just easy to fire up, get onboarded, and get learning. Even if you move on to Fusion or SOLIDWORKS or NX you’ve got an awesome foundation that lets you hit the ground running in the other instruments.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Warbird posted:

I’d be willing to bet money you can set Blender to have the same hot keys as Fusion via the settings or a plugin/addon. You could do your drat taxes in that program if you were deranged enough.

That said I’d probably say stick to fusion for anything “in the real world”. Blender absolutely can do it but when I last tried it was a bit hinky for stuff dealing with absolute sizes and scales and so on.

You’re not going to like the answer but I bet the best way to skin the cat is “both”. Do the creative modeling in Blender and then import the model into your CAD program of choice to make sure the dimensions and so on are what you want. Keep the functional stuff in CAD. That said, most slicers can scale and measure just fine.

Yeah, that seems like the way to go and I had been prepared for that. I guess the thing that was shocking to me is that Blender is the "unintuitive, steep learning curve" program, so I figured Fusion would be the easier one.

Everything just seemed very counter-intuitive from software I had used before. Oh, well. I'm moving closer to my dream of making something I 3D print for me. Next dream is uploading to makers world and buying filament from gift-cards.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All 3D modeling software has a steep learning curve, tbh. 3D modeling is inherently complicated, and most of the software is designed for professionals who work with it every day, so the interfaces are generally set up for efficiency rather than handholding.

I don't think Fusion is especially hard, as far as parametric CAD software goes -- though admittedly I've been using CAD programs for over 20 years. I think it's more just that you have to get the main concepts down for any of it to make sense. Things like how the timeline works, how to apply constraints, how to dimension a drawing. Once those start to click, everything else begins to fall into place.

It certainly doesn't help that Autodesk is notoriously bad about providing training materials (just attend one of our training workshops! $3800 for the weekend), and that many of the tutorials you can find on YouTube are created by other newbies hacking around and demonstrating bad modeling practices.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Blender is WAY better than it used to be. There’s still a learning curve if you’re not familiar with the “language” of 3D modeling, but it’s anything but insurmountable. It’d take an afternoon or two but Blender Guru has a very good series on making a doughnut that has been through several revisions now and is kept up to date. You only really need to care about the modeling portion so you can skip the back half or so about texturing and so on.

Sadly I must mention that he turned out to be a NFT crank (albeit more from the perspective of ‘“”””better”””” way to digitally own and sell art asset you make’ than ‘buy monkee, get rich’, but still). They’re still stellar turorials.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

All 3D modeling software has a steep learning curve, tbh. 3D modeling is inherently complicated, and most of the software is designed for professionals who work with it every day, so the interfaces are generally set up for efficiency rather than handholding.

I don't think Fusion is especially hard, as far as parametric CAD software goes -- though admittedly I've been using CAD programs for over 20 years. I think it's more just that you have to get the main concepts down for any of it to make sense. Things like how the timeline works, how to apply constraints, how to dimension a drawing. Once those start to click, everything else begins to fall into place.

It certainly doesn't help that Autodesk is notoriously bad about providing training materials (just attend one of our training workshops! $3800 for the weekend), and that many of the tutorials you can find on YouTube are created by other newbies hacking around and demonstrating bad modeling practices.

Yeah. I completely agree with you. Creating and modifying sketches didn't make sense before and seemed way overcomplicated, but now that I've seen what it can do, it makes sense now.

Another thing that helped was seeing the timeline like the node system in Blender. That helped me conceptualize what it was intended for.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Some of the last firmware update incorporates that.

i'm on the latest firmware and the latest slicer configurations, and the modified heating logic when bed leveling isn't there. It isn't difficult to modify the start gcode to make it do that though. I'm not sure why it isn't incorporated in by default, to be honest.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm going to flog this channel again for learning to use Blender for 'real world models' and other hard surface modelling. Everything this guy does has 3D printing as the goal. https://www.youtube.com/c/ArtisansofVaul

Some of his tutorials use plugins that cost money but many don't.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

NewFatMike posted:

Every Fusion 360 tutorial I’ve seen is created by maniacs without any particular care for actually understanding best practices and why they are best practices. I see a lot of videos that complain about performance and it’s because they’ve created a crazy sketch or are working inside an assembly with hundreds of modeled threads.

This has been my biggest speedbump in trying to learn Fusion 360; the people who claim that their tutorial is for people of certain skill levels have completely forgotten what it's like to actually be at that skill level, or worse, grossly overestimating their own ability and are absolute poo poo at trying to explain simple concepts in any sort of relatable way.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I come from a drafting background (literally drawing the x, y, z views on paper) and I was there learning Autodesk cad when it first came out to make engineering parts.

Fusion360 has a curve but once I put 1:1 what I knew vs what it's called now and what the icon is, it was pretty straightforward for me I get the concept of 2d to 3d and add/subtract modeling

But that is for functional parts, parts where I control dimensions. I would love to pick up blender to learn the more 'artistic' side but as I understand it, it's very hard to make a model contained to dimensions. Like, I can make a figure in blender but it could be 100' tall or 1" for all I know

I heard solid works has a good bridge between making a specific side and importing to blender but there is no free solid works afaik. A tutorial for making a pretty artistic 'thing' but making it fit dimensions would be my perfect how to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are you talking about xShape, the subdivision surface modeling tool? It’s pretty neato.

There’s no free version, but the makers version is $48/year:

https://www.solidworks.com/solution/3dexperience-solidworks-makers