Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I love the idea of Erebus. How do you even become the guy who is the worst guy in the universe when it's this universe? It takes a lot of goddamn work, that's how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Hopefully I'm not the only one with a sufficiently broken brain to have thought this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The best part is he believably thinks he’s right !!

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Kylaer posted:

Hopefully I'm not the only one with a sufficiently broken brain to have thought this.

:hai:

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Part 3 end spoiler

Abnett says in the afterword that one important character did not get a name drop, any ideas who? Everyone I can think of rn got named.
Except omegon I guess but idk if he counts lol.

Oh, maybe kharn?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Old Woman Island posted:

Part 3 end spoiler

Abnett says in the afterword that one important character did not get a name drop, any ideas who? Everyone I can think of rn got named.

Oh, maybe kharn?

Lilean Chase.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
uh doesnt sindermann drop that name as he is leaving?

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 28, 2024

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Perturabo doing the 40K equivalent of sitting down and watching world shattering events unfold on TV broadcast didn't add much to the book but it was also really, really funny. He became the blue glow of his monitor, which he refuses to turn off and go touch grass.

Someone do a better job than me pls

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

Yeah that's the name the archivist gives sindermann as they part ways.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Volume 3 chat

Did Horus know E is a perpetual and also could not die ? It does not seem like he did

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

Oh, I read it wrong. I thought he meant in the afterword.

I'd say the Alpha Legionaire who got brain-jacked by Cyrene, whose name escapes me and I am too lazy to look up, and was last seen with a mine clamped to his armor in the tunnels below the palace.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Mikojan posted:

Someone do a better job than me pls

It is already absolutely perfect :golfclap:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wanted to see what 1d4chan thought of the book but it looks like the site has been dead for awhile :(

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

euphronius posted:

I wanted to see what 1d4chan thought of the book

Why?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

for real.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They have some good articles

Some are really bad yes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In particular their articles will often talk about the history of the development of the fluff and include alternative viewpoints

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you dont have to wade into a pool of sewage looking for corn.

you can just go buy corn at the store.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

euphronius posted:

They have some good articles Some are really bad yes

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Old Woman Island posted:

Part 3 end spoiler

Oh, maybe kharn?

Lucius and Eidolon.

Nah, just kidding, Emperor's Children are not important at all

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Lucius and Eidolon.

Nah, just kidding, Emperor's Children are not important at all

They were both mentioned by loken in the centaur fight :ssh:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Barthusa Narek was missing, although I never really cared about him

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Old Woman Island posted:

They were both mentioned by loken in the centaur fight :ssh:

As I said, no one of actual value :colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The 3rd volume

It’s possible E rope a doped H on purpose to get him high on his own supply to make the E as Loken bit actually effective.
If H at any point thinks he’s in danger of losing he would never give up chaos powers even for 1 second

That’s how I’m reading it

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

euphronius posted:

Volume 3 chat

Did Horus know E is a perpetual and also could not die ? It does not seem like he did

Haven't read any of it, but surely it's within the power of all the Chaos gods working together that they can stamp on one guy and make it stick, even if it's the Emperor? Presumably that's what Horus would think if he knows about the Perpetual-ism of the Emperor.

Furthermore, do the other Primarchs know that's Vulcan's special super power?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
perpetuals just even the concept of them are complicated not sure why they decided to add highlanders but welp

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Oh, I read it wrong. I thought he meant in the afterword.

I'd say the Alpha Legionaire who got brain-jacked by Cyrene, whose name escapes me and I am too lazy to look up, and was last seen with a mine clamped to his armor in the tunnels below the palace.

Pech or something

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Regardless of what anyone thinks of the book, I think we can all agree: gently caress Erebus.

Also, lol at Abaddon making the exact same mistakes ASAP as his daddy did. Luna Wolves always did grow em dumb.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the book, I think we can all agree: gently caress Erebus.

Also, lol at Abaddon making the exact same mistakes ASAP as his daddy did. Luna Wolves always did grow em dumb.

The Luna Wolves aren't exactly unique here, just look at Magnus and Ahriman.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

I wanted to see what 1d4chan thought of the book but it looks like the site has been dead for awhile :(

If you're morbidly curious then it's apparently back as 2d4chan. The website security license is however busted.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

I forgot to add that this is perfect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

:perfect:

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Barthusa Narek was missing, although I never really cared about him

It’s gotta be this as he was in one of the TEATD volumes super briefly while hunting for his idiot Dad to murder and then never mentioned again.

Possibly the most important bit of TEATD3’s afterword for me is this - “One last note. Literally. One of the key and abiding notes I got from GW during the composition of this novel was ‘retain the mystery’. There is an enormous amount of detail and “specificity in this book, but by the end I hope there is still a significant degree of mystery about the lore and the warp and everything else. That’s just as it should be. Not everything should be explained, or this universe we all love is diminished.”

Also lol @ him giving a shout-out to Henry Cavill in the acknowledgements.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm sure Cavill got a author signed CE copy sent to him.
Wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm sure Cavill got a author signed CE copy sent to him.
Wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

"Congrats on casting as Horus. Good Luck! - Dan"

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Ok, I finished it.

Hell of an ending, though like the whole Heresy and Siege, the finale was somewhat over-long / bloated.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Warden posted:

Ok, I finished it.

Hell of an ending, though like the whole Heresy and Siege, the finale was somewhat over-long / bloated.

I was thinking the other day that the HH/Siege series could probably win a Guinness for "biggest overshot in length of a narrative work", barring some obscure self-published author.

But that led me to ask, what was the initial publishing plan for the Heresy, again?

I've often heard the claim that it was supposed to be a trilogy, but that obviously can't be true 'cause the first three books came out within months of each other. Meaning GW had to know from the start that a trilogy would only cover up to Isstvan III. And already by books #5 and #6 they had committed to telling lengthy background stories from the Great Crusade, rather than just covering the Heresy itself.

So it couldn't have taken that long for GW to decide "gently caress it, let's set our writers wild and see how long it can run". Maybe the fact that it was 2006 and the main 40K setting was firmly frozen at 999.M41 (and would stay there for another decade) suggests a similar mindset at work.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

NihilCredo posted:

I've often heard the claim that it was supposed to be a trilogy, but that obviously can't be true 'cause the first three books came out within months of each other. Meaning GW had to know from the start that a trilogy would only cover up to Isstvan III. And already by books #5 and #6 they had committed to telling lengthy background stories from the Great Crusade, rather than just covering the Heresy itself.

I've heard that they signed off on the initial trilogy and then waited to see how well it would sell before deciding how long it would go.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Warden posted:

I've heard that they signed off on the initial trilogy and then waited to see how well it would sell before deciding how long it would go.

The version I've heard was for a trilogy focussing on Horus and his fall but it fast became apparent that there was enough 'meat' to the story and willing authors that they went for a New Jedi Order style plan - An overarching storyline with multiple different authors focussing on the bits they want to write about.

I dont think they ever planned it to be the 60 odd books it turned out, but they were 100% working on Fulgrim & Flight of the Eisenstein before Horus Rising hit the shelves based on release dates alone. The sales definitely contributed to the length though. I dont think they would have ever pencilled in a book about Tallarn at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I love how there's infinite speculation and no hard data about the planning that went into the series, it suits 40K so well :allears:

The version I remember reading was that they initially planned for 9 books, a trilogy of trilogies each covering an arc of the story. And people who disagree with this are recidivists and must be purged