Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

quote:

Fleas
Fleas are a common problem in many areas and are easier to prevent than to try to treat once an infestation has started. Fleas can also transmit tapeworms and many dogs are allergic to their bites so it is important to keep your dog on preventatives during flea season. There are many flea prevention options, both topical and oral, see the Flea thread for a summary of your options. Some preventatives have become ineffective in some areas so discuss your options with your vet. See PI Flea Prevention and Treatment Thread (GoogleDocs link)for a more extensive overview of fleas and flea treatments.

Ummmm could really use access to the Flea Preveenton and Treatment Doc any chance someone has it bookmarked and can download?

In the meantime, a very important lesson was learned today, and and full 2024 step by step guide on what and where to start burning when experiencing your first flea infestation (1bed apt, live alone) would be just as helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
We have a 1 bed and Freja had a case of the fleas when she was about 4 months ago, we think she got them from another dog in the building, we just gave her flea treatment and didn't really see any others in the house or furniture.

Have you already got them elsewhere, other than the dog? If not, I'd just treat the pup and keep and eye out for a week or two.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fleas tend to prefer dogs/cats over humans so starting your friend on a proper treatment (talk to vet?) and then just deep cleaning works pretty well - there may be some egg sacs around that hatch but they'll go for the dog and bite and then die from the flea treatment. Other animals and honestly just being outside can be a vector for fleas, and I have deer ticks around here so I just always keep that treatment going :shrug:

They will tend to nest in bedding/carpets over other things so if you want a little more control over that, wash your bedding and the dog's bedding, and if you wanna go a little further beyond then you can get carpets steam cleaned or something like that.

e: i have so much stuff set up and ready i'm very excited for sunday :kimchi:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 25, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
the only thing that has worked for me is the spinosad-based oral stuff that requires a prescription, all the over-the-counter stuff I tried (Hartz collars, powders, Frontline) just ... didn't work. The couple of times I have tried to do without Trifexis they would just end up getting fleas from casual time outside in a fenced-in area (squirrels, rats, mice etc carry fleas even if you don't think they're there) and it was just impossible to get rid of them until I got them back on Trifexis. It takes a while to do its thing but basically it makes the dog poisonous to fleas and while you will get a couple more waves after batches of eggs hatch, eventually they all die.
e: it seems expensive but tbh the cost is comparable to what you spend with just heartworm pills and the cost of any over-the-counter stuff anyway.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo gets simparica trio and has never had fleas or ticks or worms. 40$ per month is expensive but he's in the woods a lot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Apollo gets simparica trio and has never had fleas or ticks or worms. 40$ per month is expensive but he's in the woods a lot.

You can order it from Australia for $100 a year :shrug:

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

You can order it from Australia for $100 a year :shrug:

Where's this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

St_Ides posted:

Where's this?

It’s a country in the southern hemisphere who doesn’t price gouge like they do here for pet medicine.

Took me a second to find it

johnny park posted:

Saw a post on Reddit that pointed out that you can buy preventatives on the cheap from Australian retailers without a prescription and have them shipped to the US, all told still MUCH cheaper than what you can get at a US retailer. Like, 12 months of Simparica Trio from https://www.pets-megastore.com.au/ is ~$115, vs. close to $400 from Chewy. I checked around a few other Australian sites and the prices seem consistent. Has anyone done this? What's the catch, here? I'd love to save hundreds of dollars on this stuff but I'm a little suspicious

At least one other person here has done this and it works just fine. It takes a bit to get but it’s significantly cheaper.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 25, 2024

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I ordered a year’s supply of Simparica trio as well for when my current amount runs out, it came through just fine. I try to have as many walks in the woods or prairie grass type environments with Pongo and not once had an issue.

Now if only you could order Apoquel from them…

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I don't like the normal frontline stuff in the UK, maybe I should that stuff a go too.

It says standard intestinal worms?.. you'd still need a dedicated dewormer for the dog though, right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I don't like the normal frontline stuff in the UK, maybe I should that stuff a go too.

It says standard intestinal worms?.. you'd still need a dedicated dewormer for the dog though, right?

Afaik no it takes care of everything. That’s my understanding from when the vet explained it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Aww man. There is a massive field right outside our neighborhood that is fantastic for wearing out Pongo, it gets mowed regularly due to being owned by the school district and is a couple minute drive.

Got a letter today that they will be building new tennis courts for the high school in it. :mad:

Hopefully they don’t take up too much space.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Baby got his last vet check before flying out on Monday! I’m so excited I’m going to explode.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I want to do some "scouting trips" to the airport to familiarize myself and Pavlov with the process of checking him in. My thinking is that I'd drive to the airport, park at short-term parking, unload him and the crate, then just go stand/sit around in the check-in area for a bit before going home again.

Pavlov does not like crowded indoor spaces. He's gotten anxiety from going to Petsmart, though in fairness, I'm sure that place had all kinds of scent triggers. I'm just trying to make sure that he's as prepared as he can be for the day. One thought I had was that I could load him into the crate before going inside. I think that would help? I'm open to suggestions from y'all for other things I can do to best prepare him for a stressful day.

In related news, his crate does not fit into my hatchback while it's assembled.

The actual car I'll be using on the day of flight will be a rental, so I'm hoping I can just ask the rental company to remove the back seats from one of their hatchbacks for me.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Baby got his last vet check before flying out on Monday! I’m so excited I’m going to explode.

Holy poo poo :3:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

You have the most interesting looking dog I've ever seen.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Look at those ears

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Made it to Prague, now it’s up to the transporter. Less than 36 hours to go!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Its kinda hosed up that your dog is still in the wrapper except that one eye.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Its kinda hosed up that your dog is still in the wrapper except that one eye.

That’s how you get the open package discount

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Gonna be so satisfying peeling off that cellophane though!

Newton did his final (for now) lesson with the trainer, this one also involved his dog which was helpful for me to see how the trainer interacts with him and what constant Look At Me check ins look like. The trainer’s dog is a big marshmallow husky named Orion who is a total sweetheart. It’s cool to see him instructing with what everybody says is a difficult breed. He’s very funny, he’s very obedient of course but he’s still a husky so he’s in no huge rush to do it like a herding breed, and he has a little sass. Newton and Orion spent a lot of time playing when actual instruction wasn’t happening which gave Newton more confidence and probably made it easier to learn what was going on from a dog he could relate to. Honestly much more helpful for me to see what good dog behavior looks like with something other than a border collie or Aussie that’s laser-focused on what the human wants.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Would anyone like to see a picture of Millie?

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Made it to Prague, now it’s up to the transporter. Less than 36 hours to go!

that puppy!!

I said come in! posted:

and that one!!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

I said come in! posted:

Thoroughly ModernAdorable Millie.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Millie is lovely! That's a great photo too.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Millie looks like she’s happy she’s here, and knows that everybody else is too

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

ij, please promise you will let us know the moment the puppy touches down in america

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

an egg posted:

ij, please promise you will let us know the moment the puppy touches down in america

He made it to Zurich, I need to hop in the car soon to drive 8 hours to meet him in Chicago. So far he’s traveled really well besides basic cattle dog puppy toy destruction.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

He made it to Zurich, I need to hop in the car soon to drive 8 hours to meet him in Chicago. So far he’s traveled really well besides basic cattle dog puppy toy destruction.

Chicago?!
Goon meet to pet the puppy!
I want to pet the puppy!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the baby!!!

i have thought about this dog approximately twenty times a day for the past two weeks i'm so invested

i hope you don't mind, but i mentioned the situation to a few people (two) irl who were like "slovakian cattledogs? i think not" so i showed them the photo of the edenic cattledog meadow and they were astonished and amazed

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

an egg posted:

the baby!!!

i have thought about this dog approximately twenty times a day for the past two weeks i'm so invested

i hope you don't mind, but i mentioned the situation to a few people (two) irl who were like "slovakian cattledogs? i think not" so i showed them the photo of the edenic cattledog meadow and they were astonished and amazed

I don’t mind you sharing at all! I’ve kept him a secret from my cattle dog friends so I’m glad someone has gotten to gossip about him. If it helps his lines are very Australian on both sides. Lots of imports there.

I was trying to think of how far away my next one would have to come from if I continue this trend and the furthest away place I could get a dog is Perth. I’m going to have to save up a while though, I blew all my puppy money on this guy.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don’t mind you sharing at all! I’ve kept him a secret from my cattle dog friends so I’m glad someone has gotten to gossip about him. If it helps his lines are very Australian on both sides. Lots of imports there.

I was trying to think of how far away my next one would have to come from if I continue this trend and the furthest away place I could get a dog is Perth. I’m going to have to save up a while though, I blew all my puppy money on this guy.

I could send you a felted cattle dog from Perth :3:

Is he actually an Aussie? He looks like one to me but I wasn't sure since Europe might have other similar looking breeds.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Organza Quiz posted:

I could send you a felted cattle dog from Perth :3:

Is he actually an Aussie? He looks like one to me but I wasn't sure since Europe might have other similar looking breeds.

Yep! He’s an FCI registered ACD. He’ll be my upcoming show, sport, and working buddy.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Hi doggie thread. I have a question about a house breaking challenge im having a new rescue dog. We got him from the humane society about a week ago, he is a 2ish year old pitbull mix of some kind.

Throughout the entire day and during bed time, we don't have any potty accidents in the house, and he is getting plenty of opportunities to go outside and pee during the day and night. But for some reason between 5:30 and 7:30 he will randomly pee in the house. Even if he has just been outside and peed already.

He doesnt do any pacing or other body language like he has to pee, no sniffing or leg lifting, he will just be walking around and start peeing.

Any ideas what this might be about or how we can help him? I've been giving him treats every time he potties outside and he seems to understand that outside is the potty place, except during this specific time window.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Is that time window morning or evening? If it's evening, I guess 2 is still a pretty young dog, maybe it's a holdover of Puppy Witching Hour behavior. If it's in the morning, well, anecdotally, every time my dog has ever barfed, he does it 5-6 in the morning. For whatever reason, it seems like if something's going to bother his guts, it comes to a head then.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Our old dog passed last April and we've finally adopted a new black lab mix from a local shelter. She's about 4 months old and she is super sweet and playful. We have three kids, ages (almost) 6, 4, and 2.

Given the puppy's age, she's very much in the teething/mouthing phase. For myself and my wife, it's easy enough to react and redirect her, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips that I can use for my kids. Specifically my boys, the oldest two, especially when they are in their pajamas. Our puppy likes to try to nip and pull at their pant legs and she sometimes gets their skin. I'm just struggling a little bit to help everyone with this specific scenario.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009

single-mode fiber posted:

Is that time window morning or evening? If it's evening, I guess 2 is still a pretty young dog, maybe it's a holdover of Puppy Witching Hour behavior. If it's in the morning, well, anecdotally, every time my dog has ever barfed, he does it 5-6 in the morning. For whatever reason, it seems like if something's going to bother his guts, it comes to a head then.

It's in the PM, I hadn't heard of the puppy witching hour before, but looking into that, it sure seems like that is what we are dealing with. I'm not entirely convinced he is 2 years old, he seems younger just based on how new everything in the world seems to him and he still has that puppy floppiness in his movements.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hello

Someone is home and fuzzy

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My baby has also been acquired and is chewing a bone like nothing happened. Now to drive 7 hours home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

today is a blessed day