Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The modern popularity of big comic book movie series hit right as HH was starting or right after. iron man 1 was 2008 . Avengers was 2012 . Guardians was 2014. Guardians was even based on Abnetts work. I think he got a movie credit

Anyway i think that showed BL writers that there was an appetite for huge overwrought comic book epics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I read the Bequin books yesterday, and, uh, wow they really escalate in terms of scale and scope, huh? Don't see how he can possibly stick the landing on that one but I'm looking forward to him trying!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

lines posted:

I read the Bequin books yesterday, and, uh, wow they really escalate in terms of scale and scope, huh? Don't see how he can possibly stick the landing on that one but I'm looking forward to him trying!

Its just the 2 of them out right now yes? I just finished Penitent yesterday as well, and wondering when this 3rd one is going to see the light of day and wrap things up.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

nesbit37 posted:

Its just the 2 of them out right now yes? I just finished Penitent yesterday as well, and wondering when this 3rd one is going to see the light of day and wrap things up.

Yep. I've bought the Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibuses to tide me over in the meantime as it's been years since I read them, but it's going to be very interesting.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

nesbit37 posted:

In his afterword Dan stated that it took almost exactly two years two write the End and the Death, and, if pushed, he could have knocked out four regular novels in that time. The afterword was dated to January 2021, so he might have made a lot of progress towards whatever's next for him already.

Also, everyone check out Dan Abnett's bibliography from 2000 to somewhere like 2006. The man's level of productivity is frankly insane, especially considering how he lost the original manuscript of Honour Guard and had to rewrite the whole loving thing from memory.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Warden posted:

The man's level of productivity is frankly insane, especially considering how he lost the original manuscript of Honour Guard and had to rewrite the whole loving thing from memory.

That’s insane, but I bet the text that went to print was a better version than the original, just by the nature of writing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also probably worth mentioning that Dan Abnett nearly died a few years back. He was writing Prospero Burns at the time

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

serious gaylord posted:

Also probably worth mentioning that Dan Abnett nearly died a few years back. He was writing Prospero Burns at the time

Yeah, he had adult onset epilepsy or something. After that GW did a bit of mismanagement with Black Library, and Dan parted ways with them for a few years.

Blue Raider posted:

That’s insane, but I bet the text that went to print was a better version than the original, just by the nature of writing.

Well, by his own admission Lijah Cuu did not exist in the original version at all.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Chaos Gods stole it to make sure Colm Corbec died.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Finished The End and the Death 3 last night. My favourite bit was the Yu-Gi-Oh intermission in the Horus vs Emperor showdown, also Garviel Loken died for our sins.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Emzedoh posted:

Finished The End and the Death 3 last night. My favourite bit was the Yu-Gi-Oh intermission in the Horus vs Emperor showdown, also Garviel Loken died for our sins.

Literally a bit from TTS Emperor the absolute balls of Abnett for putting that in.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

serious gaylord posted:

The wet leopards come for us all, in the end :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Arc Hammer posted:

Literally a bit from TTS Emperor the absolute balls of Abnett for putting that in.

.... still missed the opportunity for custodes to be just OTT fabulous.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dusk is definitely Kitten.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
still should have cut off gooeymans life support. :colbert:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Got part 3 yesterday and just got to the bit when they meet, absolutely loving it

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Emzedoh posted:

Oh my god.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Looking forward to all the terrible content farm 40k lore videos trying to explain the Yu-Gi-Oh Duel in a way that sounds cool. (It is cool! Because of Abnett's prose!)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That part was dumb as gently caress.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
It owned, especially when all of Horus' cards were just "Oops, All Daemons!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ahriman getting slowly but steadily more annoyed at his draws while Sindermann asks increasingly banal questions.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

[mysterious old space marine flips tarot card revealing a dude who looks exactly like me being consumed eternally by a billion howling daemons]
Me: is that good

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kylaer posted:

It owned, especially when all of Horus' cards were just "Oops, All Daemons!"

Ok that part was good.

I'm pretty sure if you look back, the order of revelations parallels the events of the EatD books.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

[mysterious old space marine flips tarot card revealing a dude who looks exactly like me being consumed eternally by a billion howling daemons]

Don’t worry it’s all metaphorical and surely isn’t literal at all.

Surely.

e:
where you’re going there is no distinction between the former and the latter

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

LashLightning posted:

Haven't read any of it, but surely it's within the power of all the Chaos gods working together that they can stamp on one guy and make it stick, even if it's the Emperor? Presumably that's what Horus would think if he knows about the Perpetual-ism of the Emperor.

Furthermore, do the other Primarchs know that's Vulcan's special super power?

I thought there was something about Horus having a knife made from like, sand fused into glass by force lightning that stripped away Space Dads immortality.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

:hmmyes:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

MariusLecter posted:

Don’t worry it’s all metaphorical and surely isn’t literal at all.

Surely.

e:
where you’re going there is no distinction between the former and the latter

Right after this, the fortune teller turns over another card revealing the Kitten with String arcana, screams and jumps out the window.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hell yeah, so it WAS an extended homosexual allegory all along

this was the best possible outcome

poop chute posted:

I thought there was something about Horus having a knife made from like, sand fused into glass by force lightning that stripped away Space Dads immortality.

The Athames themselves probably could use their own character timeline trackers; like the Perpetuals, they sure proliferated during this entire two decade long narrative spree.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 30, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

hell yeah, so it WAS an extended homosexual allegory all along

this was the best possible outcome

The Athames themselves probably could use their own character timeline trackers; like the Perpetuals, they sure proliferated during this entire two decade long narrative spree.

The weird thing is that the one that kills Horus isn't even one of the ones Erebus made.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I liked the scene of big E becoming a big black orb in his transcendence to godhood amidst the city of dust so I attempted to make a few AI generated images of it. (TEATD 2)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Mikojan posted:

I liked the scene of big E becoming a big black orb in his transcendence to godhood amidst the city of dust so I attempted to make a few AI generated images of it. (TEATD 2)

I am not really an AI art fan in general but I have to admit these have come out quite nice.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Echoing the thoughts that the book was a bit bloated, I felt like vol 1. was the right kind of ott, but 2 and 3 had some repetition that could have been cut (3 is better than 2 though).

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Mikojan posted:

P obvious where the AI ripped off its source material for this

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Echoing the thoughts that the book was a bit bloated, I felt like vol 1. was the right kind of ott, but 2 and 3 had some repetition that could have been cut (3 is better than 2 though).

The afterword is an interesting read, especially as Abnett seems to say that he wrote it as one continuous book before then splitting it into three, which makes it harder to understand how it got so bloated vs if he wrote it as three separate books from the start.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

The afterword is an interesting read, especially as Abnett seems to say that he wrote it as one continuous book before then splitting it into three, which makes it harder to understand how it got so bloated vs if he wrote it as three separate books from the start.

In some ways for me it makes it easier, because at the end of 3 I think all the plot threads come together? So I can see why he felt he needed them all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

kim jong-illin posted:

if you let them, fantasy and sci-fi authors will write absolute doorstops, and it's the job of an editor to reign this impulse in. it's when they're not inclined to do this for whatever reason that books dip in quality. I still really enjoyed tEatD, but I think it would have been better served as a more tightly edited two books rather than a sprawling three.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 30, 2024

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

if you let them, fantasy and sci-fi authors will write absolute doorstops. it's the job of an editor to reign this impulse in. it's when they're not inclined to do this for whatever reason that books dip in quality. I still really enjoyed tEatD, but I think it would have been better served as a more tightly edited two books rather than a sprawling three.

I see where you're coming from, but I wanted the sprawl. The grandiose tragedy of it all should be explored in every facet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

On the last bit of duel, spoilers for the ending. When the Emperor says "I wait for you and forgive you" what is Abnett signifying here? Are they scrapping the soul obliteration and possibly bringing him back in the new timeline? It seems very significant that despite having jettisoned his emotional core, the Emperor still hesitates to kill his son.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

if you let them, fantasy and sci-fi authors will write absolute doorstops, and it's the job of an editor to reign this impulse in. it's when they're not inclined to do this for whatever reason that books dip in quality. I still really enjoyed tEatD, but I think it would have been better served as a more tightly edited two books rather than a sprawling three.

Abnett has whipped his editors into submission, probably with a huge thesaurus. They let him run wild in this series and it shows, for the good and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I like the sprawl in this particular instance, Abnett deserved the chance to go hog wild.

Two axe-shaped tears ran down his cheeks. In the end (and the death), he loved Fafnir Rann.