Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

Is Mako energy more or less ethical than Argent energy from the recent DOOM games?

Just started playing DOOM Eternal yesterday and idk. Mako is less immediately horrific, but guarantees a near term end of the world. Argent guarantees a near term demon infestation and biosphere collapse, but with some amount of humanity still surviving in a cattle-like capacity. Many exciting free market solutions available to us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Asterite34 posted:

Is Mako energy more or less ethical than Argent energy from the recent DOOM games?

I think Argent specifically requires a soul to be tormented into oblivion before it generates any energy so probably that one

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DanielCross posted:

DoC has a couple of cutscene of two different Cait Siths operating at the same time Reeve is walking around, and combined with the Temple of the Ancients sacrifice scene, my interpretation has been that the cats have a level of autonomy and individuality, but Reeve is also able to assume direct control when needed.

Eventually someone is going to have to sit Reeve down and have him explain why they all look like walking cats wearing crowns.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's his fursona! The crown represents his need for agency and the moogle is.. part of it

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Shoehead posted:

It's his fursona! The crown represents his need for agency and the moogle is.. part of it

They're pair bonded and it would be cruel to separate them.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

...! posted:

The cats are brothers. They take turns controlling "Reeve", the humanlike object seen in Shinra HQ

I'm telling you that this is the answer and I'm going to mock you guys when you see it for yourselves

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mako is a natural, green energy source. What could be more ethical than that?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

stev posted:

Mako is a natural, green energy source. What could be more ethical than that?

Is Mako renewable? My guess is that it actually is but Shinra is using more than it is ecologically sustainable.

And I guess there's the whole using grandma's soul to turn on the toaster but that seems like a complex issue.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

Is Mako renewable? My guess is that it actually is but Shinra is using more than it is ecologically sustainable.

And I guess there's the whole using grandma's soul to turn on the toaster but that seems like a complex issue.

I guess it's renewable if enough people die to top it up.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

explicitly no based on the explanation bugenhagen gives of how it actually works. there's a finite amount of it in the planet and mako energy actively burns it. living creatures being born does not produce more, they just borrow some when they're born and return it when they die.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Funky Valentine posted:

Eventually someone is going to have to sit Reeve down and have him explain why they all look like walking cats wearing crowns.

"I thought it looked cute"

That's it, that's your explaination

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

quote:

"we have decided that the Promised Land is a real thing, because it would be convenient if it was" thing.

Aeris is asked point blank about if the promised land is real she just knods no and we leave it at that. No one puts two and two together “Shinra is like an extremely well funded Jonestown cult looking to build a highway into the Garden of Eden or heaven.”
Even Don Corneo talks about how Shinra promised him his own Wall Market once they got there. “Sure, Don, you can have exclusive rights to build whorehouses in the Land of Milk and Honey”

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Coffee Jones posted:

Aeris is asked point blank about if the promised land is real she just knods no and we leave it at that. No one puts two and two together “Shinra is like an extremely well funded Jonestown cult looking to build a highway into the Garden of Eden or heaven.”
Even Don Corneo talks about how Shinra promised him his own Wall Market once they got there. “Sure, Don, you can have exclusive rights to build whorehouses in the Land of Milk and Honey”

I don't remember what Remake says about this. Does Aerith say the Promised Land doesn't exist?

Because Remake Aerith knows what everything is all about, at least more of it than the original.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Honestly the weirdest part was that scene where Aerith talks to Cloud in the garden about how everything is fine and Shinra is treating her okay, then jump cut to Hojo telling her he has her mother stuffed on his mantle

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

Honestly the weirdest part was that scene where Aerith talks to Cloud in the garden about how everything is fine and Shinra is treating her okay, then jump cut to Hojo telling her he has her mother stuffed on his mantle

Aerith probably doesn't want to stress Cloud's fragile brain out more than it already is.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Aerith only really refers to her current situation as 'kinda like returning to her childhood home... not that bad', so either she hadn't been approached by Hojo yet or she was downplaying it for Cloud's benefit.

I still can't shake the feeling though that the Aerith Cloud spoke to in the garden is from the future and separate from the Aerith in the Shinra building because of her thanking him for the memories despite only having known him for a day or so, plus the 'don't fall in love with me' line.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't remember what Remake says about this. Does Aerith say the Promised Land doesn't exist?

Because Remake Aerith knows what everything is all about, at least more of it than the original.

https://youtu.be/JFe3DjMBNmM?feature=shared
At 26:45 they’re talking in Aerith’s childhood home in Shinra tower and Tifa asks her point blank “Does it exist?” And “Nope.”

E: actually the script is not super clear about the promised land existing vs Aeris being able to lead them to the promised land. “Some day I’ll find it in me.”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

anakha posted:

Aerith only really refers to her current situation as 'kinda like returning to her childhood home... not that bad', so either she hadn't been approached by Hojo yet or she was downplaying it for Cloud's benefit.

I still can't shake the feeling though that the Aerith Cloud spoke to in the garden is from the future and separate from the Aerith in the Shinra building because of her thanking him for the memories despite only having known him for a day or so, plus the 'don't fall in love with me' line.

aerith in remake knows her own future/the plot of the original game, it’s a key element of the character

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shoehead posted:

I think Argent specifically requires a soul to be tormented into oblivion before it generates any energy so probably that one

And mako just needs a counselling session

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Oxxidation posted:

aerith in remake knows her own future/the plot of the original game, it’s a key element of the character

I know the plot of the original game too. Guess she's not so smart, huh? :smugbert:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

In both the original and remake (english script for both), Aerith says she doesn't know if it exists or not when Tifa asks at Shinra HQ, although the exchange in the original game implies she doesn't think it's real the way Shinra does, where in the remake she comes off more ambivalent.

Further along in the original, Aerith tells Shinra the Promised Land is not what they think it is, but she also talks about it like it's a physical place in the Temple of the Ancients. She might be talking about the Lifestream, which is kind of a physical place, i guess.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
There's going to be a State of Play on Tuesday dedicated to FF7Rebirth, I would bet we're at least getting a demo release date if not the demo itself that day.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Just Andi Now posted:

In both the original and remake (english script for both), Aerith says she doesn't know if it exists or not when Tifa asks at Shinra HQ, although the exchange in the original game implies she doesn't think it's real the way Shinra does, where in the remake she comes off more ambivalent.

Further along in the original, Aerith tells Shinra the Promised Land is not what they think it is, but she also talks about it like it's a physical place in the Temple of the Ancients. She might be talking about the Lifestream, which is kind of a physical place, i guess.

Aerith has no opinion on the matter in the original. Aeris does though

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My body is so ready for a demo

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I've finished the game on Easy, and started playing through the chapters on Hard. I've gotten through the first two, and while I think I'll be able to beat the game on this difficulty at some point, I can't imagine being able to do so from a fresh start. All my characters are Level 50 and it still took me three tries to beat the Guard Scorpion. At least Chapter 2 was still pretty easy.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Meaty Ore posted:

I've finished the game on Easy, and started playing through the chapters on Hard. I've gotten through the first two, and while I think I'll be able to beat the game on this difficulty at some point, I can't imagine being able to do so from a fresh start. All my characters are Level 50 and it still took me three tries to beat the Guard Scorpion. At least Chapter 2 was still pretty easy.

Hard mode doesnt unlock until you beat the game once so its a NG+ thing with endgame difficulty enemies

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, Hard Mode isn't possible for a "fresh start."

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Ah, I thought beating the game just unlocked the difficulty, not that Hard was NG+ only.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

At one point in the original, Aeris tells Cloud that she thinks he is her Promised Land, if I recall correctly.

One thing we have to remember is that Aeris has her own agenda and her own goals, may not want to immediately disclose everything she knows to these people she just met, and may not even possess a perfect understanding of the Promised Land or, indeed, any other part of Cetra culture, because she was mostly raised by hostile humans who would have been unable to teach her anything concrete about her own people.

I expect she's asked the Planet a few things and received only inscrutable answers that she just doesn't have the right cultural context to understand.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kupo motherfuckers

https://twitter.com/PlaystationSize/status/1753179796035482003

https://twitter.com/PlaystationSize/status/1753194580705472941

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 2, 2024

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

So it's either transferring that you played the demo in order to give you the reward or starting at the beginning of the game like they did with FF16. I'm assuming the former and it's just the demo that's already been out there for months, perhaps a little more optimized, but you never know.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is Hamauzu doing the music for this? I can't find anything online.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1725001423086338109

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Heads up, the Rebirth trophies list leaked and it’s mildly spoilery. Also, review embargo drops the 22nd.

e: for those curious, and again, spoilers- https://insider-gaming.com/final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-trophies/

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 4, 2024

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

At least if the embargo is a week before they’re pretty confident about the quality of the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I finally beat the video game :)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Terper posted:

I finally beat the video game :)

It's not even out yet! :mad:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I guess I should just replay ff7 remake part 1 on easy mode to get a refresher.
Anyone have a fun load/s out to try for new game+ after not having played since it released?
Can I use yuffie in the main game somehow or nah? She was crazy fun in the dlc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RC Cola posted:

Can I use yuffie in the main game somehow or nah? She was crazy fun in the dlc

I don't believe so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yuffie's kind of designed differently from everyone else, since she's supposed to be able to handle every situation on her own rather than swapping between different party members. I feel like she'll probably have to be revamped for the sequel too.