Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

NotNut posted:

I've got a 1lb 8z can of beef chunks with juice. Does anyone have a good recipe for stew I could make with it? Preferably that I could serve over mashed potatoes.

I did this one once with a can of Guinness and it was incredible, I really should make it again

https://www.recipetineats.com/irish-beef-and-guinness-stew/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A neighbor works as a distribution outlet for the local food bank and had an entire pallet of cheese and nothing else delivered for her to give out...so now I have 36 pounds of the finest Wisconsin mild cheddar. Any suggestions for cheese-heavy stuff? Sell by date is not till July and I have fridge space for it so I don't need like an emergency cheese soup recipe or anything.

Be sure to cold smoke some of it

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Sirotan posted:

I did this one once with a can of Guinness and it was incredible, I really should make it again

https://www.recipetineats.com/irish-beef-and-guinness-stew/

drat that sounds good. I don't drink much but guinness is my favorite common beer. Thanks.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I underestimated the vegetables and ended up with too much liquid in a braised meat dish. Is the best choice to just take the time to reduce it? Are there faster options?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I underestimated the vegetables and ended up with too much liquid in a braised meat dish. Is the best choice to just take the time to reduce it? Are there faster options?

I would take the time to reduce but you should drain the liquid and turn it into gravy. Suck it up with a turkey baster.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Desert Bus posted:

I would take the time to reduce but you should drain the liquid and turn it into gravy. Suck it up with a turkey baster.

Meaning reduce the liquid in a a separate pan to speed up the process?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Pretty much. If you reduce with the solid stuff it may break down more than you want it to and if you do it separately you can play with thickeners and maybe seasonings?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Meaning reduce the liquid in a a separate pan to speed up the process?

I do this with pot roast, and will in fact do it today. At the end of the cooking process, I remove the solids and adjust the gravy accordingly. Either reduce it, increase it if there's not enough, season it etc.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Be sure to cold smoke some of it

I have never smoked anything except making some of Alton Brown's bacon a decade ago-is there an easy way to do this without a smoker?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have never smoked anything except making some of Alton Brown's bacon a decade ago-is there an easy way to do this without a smoker?

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BSM...06462007&sr=8-4

Been using this before Breville bought it from Polyscience a decade ago. Results seem to be best if you let it sit for a day or two in the fridge after smoking. It’s a little bitter for the first day

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

. Results seem to be best if you let it sit for a day or two in the fridge after smoking. It’s a little bitter for the first day

Yeah definitely this.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dang my free cheese is gonna turn into $100 cheese. What else does one use a cold smoking gun for?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cold case evidence

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Hard cheeses freeze well, don't they? Or make a giant pot of cheese sauce and freeze it in batches.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Dang my free cheese is gonna turn into $100 cheese. What else does one use a cold smoking gun for?

The question is what “don’t “ you use it for.

Salt, cheese are good starts imo

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Clarification required: that little smoke gun just adds flavour right, it's not actually capable of preserving anything?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Torquemada posted:

Clarification required: that little smoke gun just adds flavour right, it's not actually capable of preserving anything?

I’m not aware of anyone testing it for that so I can’t say one way or another

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Cocktails

Salt

Meats

Fish

Roe

Eggs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Cocktails

Salt

Meats

Fish

Roe

Eggs

Picturing this as a single thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Six courses

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Cocktails

Salt

Meats

Fish

Roe

Eggs
The six food groups

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The bloodiest mary

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Grand Fromage posted:

If you have enough aspic, all foods can be combined.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DasNeonLicht posted:

somewhat related — a dairy in Southwest Virginia has 3.5-lb wheels of washed-rind cheese priced to move ($57.50)

thought I'd share the tip for those interested

Thanks for sharing this. This creamery is about 20 miles from where I grew up and I had no idea they were doing this sort of thing in that part of the Blue Ridge.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I have a double brie that's about 9 months over the use by. It smells funky, but maybe it's delicious? Is it safe? I haven't opened the wrapper yet.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 30, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Open it up and let us see

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
but I'm scared

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

fear is the... food killer?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's probably safe. Open it and see. Does it look like brie? Good. Is it covered in pink mold or something out of the ordinary? Bad.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
K I'll go look and report back

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Desert Bus posted:

fear is the... food killer?

Many have tried the 9 month old Brie

Tried and failed?

Tried and died

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's some sorta wet orangey bits

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Bald Stalin posted:

There's some sorta wet orangey bits

All the best food has those.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think the official food safety advice would be dont, and that's probably the best advice. But honestly chances are high I'd eat it. I wouldn't feed it to my young children but I'd probably try it if it didn't revolt me. Maybe I'd discard the rind. But that's a personal choice. Listen to your body, if it rebels then turn back.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The texture was very firm inside despite being a double brie so I tossed it all.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

DasNeonLicht posted:

somewhat related — a dairy in Southwest Virginia has 3.5-lb wheels of washed-rind cheese priced to move ($57.50)

thought I'd share the tip for those interested

Also thank you for this tip. I ordered my wheel over the weekend.

I'm going to have to find all kinds of things to do with cheese (already plan on cold-smoking) and I'm gonna be backed up for a few weeks, but this is the way to do it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Accipiter posted:

Also thank you for this tip. I ordered my wheel over the weekend.

I'm going to have to find all kinds of things to do with cheese (already plan on cold-smoking) and I'm gonna be backed up for a few weeks, but this is the way whey

I'll see myself out.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I'm going to make chicken fajitas, beef tacos, or chili tonight. How long do I boil the lettuce?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Desert Bus posted:

I'm going to make chicken fajitas, beef tacos, or chili tonight. How long do I boil the lettuce?

Wtf, you don’t boil lettuce for those. You grate on a cheese grater, then freeze for at least 2 hours.

Alternatively, blanch and shock the lettuce, then Vitamix, strain through cheesecloth, run through a centrifuge, pour the resulting liquid into a shallow tray and freeze for 4 hours before shaving it into a granita.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Wtf, you don’t boil lettuce for those. You grate on a cheese grater, then freeze for at least 2 hours.

Alternatively, blanch and shock the lettuce, then Vitamix, strain through cheesecloth, run through a centrifuge, pour the resulting liquid into a shallow tray and freeze for 4 hours before shaving it into a granita.

Thanks! I was feeling lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you start now, you can get a nice mezcal-soaked lettuce cake aged and conditioned in time for Cinco de Mayo