Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They already brought his clone back.

They should put time into creating new villains. It’s doesn’t have to be Marvel stories all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
End 3 is a fair bit better than End2. but as others said, it shares of ot the previous book's weak points.

- Deus Ex Machina Ex Machina Ex Machina: Any time a loyalist hero is in a bind, the cavalry is just around the corner. This happened a borderline hilarious number of times last book, and it's a bit better here, but not quite. Sometimes they stack in the same drat scene! Sigismund is attacking a massive Death Guard force, overwhelmed and about to lose, but it's about making a statement and dying well. But wait! A huge column of a million survivors pops in out of nowhere because DG are famously blind, they just lemming into the fight to relieve the Templars! But even that's not even, the enemy is too cruel and deadly,Siggy is surely done for...but wait! Dark Angels outta nowhere!

-Traitors being jobbing chumps, though this has improved a bit. They actually show Custodes taking lumps here! That has to be a first, or almost. I remember reading Master of Manking, in which they are supposedly losing, and not finding a single instance of a Custodes taking a bullet or a blow. the defeat just happens off-camera.

- Did Abnett skip reading Betrayer? During Lorgar's chapter, it mentions the Fidelitas Lex being in orbit. The Lex crashed into Nuceria during the Shadow Crusade after being cut apart by the first Ultramarine pursuer fleet. Lorgar fled after being banished in one of his cathedral kingships, the Trysagium I believe. Also, him being cool with Erebus again seems....premature. Their last recorded encounter was Lorgar chastising Wily E for bungling Calth, betting too high on tricky gambits, and being too much of a bitch to the Pantheon. And that was -before- Erebus murdered his favored son, to the point that he sends Kharn to make his displeasure crystal clear.

- Personal preference here, but I dislike a final, repenting Horus. Even if the original guy is still in there, they have all been spendign the last 7 years locked in a hateful, all-consuming conflict that changed and brutalized themselves and the galaxy. I'd have rpeferred Horus to be defiant and arrogant to the last, lamenting only not subjugating the Chaos Gods further, damning the Emperor for his lack of vision and paranoia. Though I guess they saved that hat for a certain armless wonder.

Those are mostly nitpicks, though. Far better coinclusion than I hoped, all things considered.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s not Deus Ex Machina . The god or gods have been part of the story from the beginning

The fact that E and also Malcador have been orchestrating fate has always been part of the story

Edit

I like the way Horuss temporary renunciation of chaos was done. I think it fit his ego and also the Luna wolves philosophy. It worked because Loken convinced him to do it (not really Loken lol)

And also most of the renunciation was the Big 4 being pissy that he would even consider it

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 31, 2024

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

horus realizing he has been fooled and renouncing the chaos gods in the moments before his death has been a part of the lore for decades, my guess is it was editorial mandate given how little time Abnett spends dwelling on Horus’s “moment of clarity.”

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
People should read the afterword if they haven’t; Abnett makes quite a lot of effort to explain his authorial choices. All the Siege of Terra novels have had interesting afterwords and my second read of each novel changed my opinion as a result, knowing why each writer was making specific choices. I’m curious what I’ll think of TEATD when I do a re-read of all 3 back-to-back now I’ve read Abnett’s afterword.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

euphronius posted:

It’s not Deus Ex Machina . The god or gods have been part of the story from the beginning

and often literally in machines

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I definitely think, by the way, that there's potential for a really great long-running animation series in the Horus Heresy, in the style of long-running anime and the like. Even the Siege alone would cover tens and tens of episodes easy. And now that the books are done you would be able to edit and cut filler somewhat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of machines I liked the little moment where the Dark Mechanicus lady had to detach herself and reactivate her physical and emotional senses.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arc Hammer posted:

Speaking of machines I liked the little moment where the Dark Mechanicus lady had to detach herself and reactivate her physical and emotional senses.

Yeah it was cool how all the Dark Mechanicus tech was so interweaved with the warp that when it bled out they just disintegrated.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Is there anywhere to read the afterwords? I listened to the audiobooks.

I liked Horus being outraged the Emperor would stoop so low and fight so dirty, as if his side aren’t the warcrimes guys. All the stuff from his self-righteous viewpoint was great. Wish there’d been a twist of some kind, though.

I mentioned to a 40k player at work that I’d listened to the whole thing on Sunday and he said “Ah the big one with the expanded story? This is how the emperor gets killed, right?”

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sanford posted:

I mentioned to a 40k player at work that I’d listened to the whole thing on Sunday and he said “Ah the big one with the expanded story? This is how the emperor gets killed, right?”

Chaos players :shobon:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Sanford posted:

I liked Horus being outraged the Emperor would stoop so low and fight so dirty, as if his side aren’t the warcrimes guys. All the stuff from his self-righteous viewpoint was great. Wish there’d been a twist of some kind, though.

EVERY side are the warcrimes guys.

The only moral giant of this whole saga is Fo

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Sephyr posted:

EVERY side are the warcrimes guys.

The only moral giant of this whole saga is Fo

I will not stand for this Graft erasure.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

euphronius posted:

The second person perspective for H was incredible effective. Just the best. Really nailed being a possessed crazy person

I loved this. Dictating thoughts, actions, and emotions to the reader put the audience in a parallel position to Horus himself. The reader is passively along for the ride, while being repeatedly assured that they're totally in charge.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Also, is this seriously Leetu's origin story?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I loved that little scene

Just the best

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

moths posted:

Yeah.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

euphronius posted:

I loved that little scene

Just the best

I liked how it really made clear how much the cessation of the incursion and the abrupt end of the siege were like... waking up with the worst hangover in history for the traitor forces, after in some cases years and years of being caught up in the ride.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Personally I'm excited for how the reveals factor into Pandemonium, and my own speculation on Eisenhorn. Erebus tells us that a death can create a demon, and a demon can die before its born yada yada. When a demon is born it's existed forever and I'm once again considering my crackpot theory that Cherubael was created from Sanguinius' death, or is one side of his shattered and partly corrupted soul. With Penitent setting up that Valdor has an army of cloned blood angels with wings, I think poo poo is gonna cook off when Eisenhorn goes into the dimensional pocket with Cherubael.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was cherubeal in the necroteouch or did Eisenhorn just use the spells from it to summon him

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

moths posted:

Limited Edition, baby!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I ...actually love that as an Easter egg.

It also explains his lead-grey of his armor.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

euphronius posted:

Was cherubeal in the necroteouch or did Eisenhorn just use the spells from it to summon him

Neither, it's a different book I think?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah Quixos summoned him with the Malus Codicum which Eisenhorn then took to use for good, holy purposes that are not heretical

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i read the eisenhorn and ravenor books im assuming the bequin ones are worth reading as well?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes and also Magos

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

euphronius posted:

Yes and also Magos

yeah read that one for sure eisenhorn was like the first abnett book i read.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

euphronius posted:

Yeah Quixos summoned him with the Malus Codicum which Eisenhorn then took to use for good, holy purposes that are not heretical

I just finished my re-read of Malleus and it is really funny how Eisenhorn is essentially radicalising in real time throughout.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's pretty gradual that you don't notice until it hits you who he uses for cherubeal's new body.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Azubah posted:

It's pretty gradual that you don't notice until it hits you who he uses for cherubeal's new body.

Who is it? I can't recall.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Fischig.. and its like a :tviv: at that point

lines
Aug 18, 2013

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

Fischig.. and its like a :tviv: at that point

God Eisenhorn is so awful. But every step along the way seems so justified!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s not corrupted. He’s just extremely uh . Radical

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's totally rad, dude

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
Been reading through the Eisenhorn books for (mostly) the first time, following the reading order from Magos with all the short stories. Having those in the mix really adds something to the experience IMO, helps to smooth off some of the rough edges from the abrupt endings. I've particularly liked getting a look at the character of Titus Endor, his arc is ultimately quite grounded and very depressing. Also, knowing in advance the spoiler about Cherubael's new host a few bits read quite different.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

moths posted:

I ...actually love that as an Easter egg.

It also explains his lead-grey of his armor.

All of the legions started off with grey armour-- it was the standard colour of the Thunder Warriors too. That began to change as the Unification Wars wound down and the legions began to assert identities beyond just numbers (and sometimes again after being reunited with their primarchs).

But yes, it is a lovely little nod to where all these stories actually begin (lead).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i just love the nuance that hey, if you cheat or you take the quick path because "it is required becuase reasons " lol.

dont gently caress with chaos.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that being said a titan?

poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

dont gently caress with chaos.

That’s just letting chaos win !!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not loving with Chaos blueballs Slaanesh.