Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Only use OpenSCAD and Sketchup if you have a kink for lovely software implementation.

Could be worse, it could be FreeCAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Look at me, I'm FreeCAD, my developers are stuck on trying to solve an "impossible" problem that has only been solved by every other parametric CAD program in existence for like 35 years, bloo bloo blooooo

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

queeb posted:

any of you etsy sellers still having insane januarys, my average per day is actually going up as the month goes, average over the month is ove $580CAD/day right now. barely keeping afloat with what i have right now lol, gonna hve to expand if this stays like this

Etsy apparently fixed my account after I gave them an ultimatum: Either I am located in India (im not) and therefore will never pay my outstanding $2 fee. OR i am NOT in india, and therefore owe you $2 ... in which case why not unlock my store ?
They apparently went with option 2 silently so I can join the thousands of other identical sellers online i guess?

handle
Jan 20, 2011

For those with the same brainworms that drive them to scripted CAD, I've been phasing out OpenSCAD for build123d. The biggest downside is that Python deployment seems to be a shitshow, so the easiest path to rendering objects has been using VS Code with the vscode-ocp-cad-viewer plugin.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

Look at me, I'm FreeCAD, my developers are stuck on trying to solve an "impossible" problem that has only been solved by every other parametric CAD program in existence for like 35 years, bloo bloo blooooo

Last time I tried that the application crashed on a fresh installation without even drawing anything.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

The Eyes Have It posted:

Modern hearing aid quality and capabilities relentlessly march forward. They're amazing devices, and priced like it, too :v:

Addressing hearing loss often requires more than just turning up the volume because not all frequencies get attenuated at the same rate. Usually the higher frequencies are the first to go, and get it the worst. That sounds and the world are too "quiet" is only part of the problem, and just cranking the volume makes things louder, but not really any clearer.

Yeah, it's been neat to learn about the nuances of this stuff, and how the design of pre-electric hearing aids kind of converged to meet the practical needs of hearing loss. The physical dimensions, the proportions, the horn and reflector radii, etc, it all factors in. The parabolic reflector types are very good for speech-frequency noise in particular vs. the older horn style that tends to favour lower-frequency noise when built at a portable scale. There are also 'diaphragm' types, that funnel sound onto a springy cantilevered plate that vibrates next to your ear to produce amplification, which are also excellent for higher frequencies, and I'd like to explore those as well, but the diaphragm bit isn't practical to 3D print, I'll probably need a particular thickness and temper of spring shim stock that makes designs a lot less accessible.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised to learn was that the 3D printed surface roughness isn't necessarily a dealbreaker. You'll want to polish, varnish over etc an FDM print's surface, but i'm using resin prints with a perfunctory buffing of the waveguide surfaces and it seems fine. I've been following someone's guidelines for custom microphone construction, and he mentions that parabolic reflectors only start seeing unacceptable interference if the surface irregularities are... 1/20th the frequency length? And sound waves are forgivingly long, at the idk 1.0-8.0 khz range we're prioritizing. It's a killer for optics, like the hubble telescope's reflector being ground a few microns out ruining its performance, but sound is easy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Has anybody tried using BRL-CAD?

It's freeware plus used by the US military to simulate ordnance vs. armor. :v:

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 30, 2024

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I moved my XL over to 0.4mm nozzles since that's the blessed configuration now. I went with ObXidian because I print Nylon once a year and therefore I was able to convince myself it's worth it.

On the one hand, it's nice to be able to print the 95% of models that just assume 0.4mm in their design for wall thickness and whatnot.
On the other hand, it's pretty disappointing that printing a full-bed object would take days now. Hopefully they work out how to mix nozzle sizes in the same print in the future, so we can get the best of both worlds.

It's freeware plus used by the US military to simulate ordinance vs. armor. :v:

3d benchy has never been the same since they started taking military contracts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ordnance

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

"You'll shoot yer i out, kid!"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
If you’re willing to deal with the jank typical of open source projects, FreeCAD is extremely capable. A pain in the rear end maybe, but very capable.

I did actually try, not that I succeeded in ever actually getting the thing to even run. Their MacOS build hasn’t worked in over a decade, but their website still says it’s supported, just to give you an idea of the state of development.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Arcsech posted:

If you’re willing to deal with the jank typical of open source projects, FreeCAD is extremely capable. A pain in the rear end maybe, but very capable.

After the fourth time freecad tied itself in knots trying to resolve a part and I saw no option but to delete and start over, I gave up and decided being forced to store my projects in someone's data mining cloud service was a little more tolerable.

Yeah, freecad is technically capable of making impressive stuff and that's rad. But even in the context of open source jank it's over the top.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Is this topology naming issue something that's solved by the Parasolid kernel, or is it something every CAD software maker solves on their own, outside the 3D modeling kernel? Is this why so many Big Boy CAD programs license Parasolid?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Also it looks like a Diva Cup.

It’s a dB cup.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Prusa finally released their XL toolhead upgrades so you can go from 1 to 2 or 5, or 2 to 5. I'm in the 2 to 5 camp.

Lead time says 1-2 weeks, so I expect to be printing in glorious 5 colors some time in Q3 of next year.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Prusa finally released their XL toolhead upgrades so you can go from 1 to 2 or 5, or 2 to 5. I'm in the 2 to 5 camp.

Lead time says 1-2 weeks, so I expect to be printing in glorious 5 colors some time in Q3 of next year.

Oh, an optimist!

I'm personally hoping bambu comes out with and X1TC or something this year. Fully enclosed tool changer with an ams like top unit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Saw where elegoo has hopped into the "multiple colors and built in enclosure" printer line. Dunno much about em but think they can do up to 5 colors.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Honestly, the real killer feature of the XL so far has been the ability to mix materials in the same print. PLA supports for TPU and PETG supports for PLA is a goddamn game-changer. The support interfaces are almost indistinguishable from regular bottom layers, and it opens up a lot of designs that were previously unprintable.

I'm not sure how well/if the AMS supports mixing materials, but I'd expect that's a place they're attempting to catch up for their next iteration.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Honestly, the real killer feature of the XL so far has been the ability to mix materials in the same print. PLA supports for TPU and PETG supports for PLA is a goddamn game-changer. The support interfaces are almost indistinguishable from regular bottom layers, and it opens up a lot of designs that were previously unprintable.

I'm not sure how well/if the AMS supports mixing materials, but I'd expect that's a place they're attempting to catch up for their next iteration.

TPU won't work with a setup like the AMS.its really a dedicated toolhead filament. At least for now.

I print ASA with HIPS supports pretty often, and have done PETG/PLA but I just don't really like PETG. You need to up the flush volume, but it works great. If you are only supporting one flat surface, the waste is minimal, but goes up proportional to the number of layer changes needed.

Toolchanger is really the end game for multi-material, since it cuts out the waste and allows basically any filament. AMS can only do rigid non-abbrassive filaments.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
PLA/PETG and other similar combinations work fine with adequate purging, but AMS is not compatible with TPU so that is not a option.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I'm still waiting for the God damned MK3.5 upgrade kit to be available.

I want the better electronics and bed probing logic and other QoL features.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

And by another fork of FreeCAD!

ryanrs posted:

Is this topology naming issue something that's solved by the Parasolid kernel, or is it something every CAD software maker solves on their own, outside the 3D modeling kernel? Is this why so many Big Boy CAD programs license Parasolid?

It may be. The kernel determines your base features (sweeps, lofts, revolves, etc) so I imagine whatever topological addressing system is used hooks in there.

There may be ways to access it from the software around the kernel as well. SOLIDWORKS has a “replace entity” function when you edit sketches that I haven’t noted in other parasolid systems (not to say it doesn’t exist). Additionally the fork of FreeCAD that has solved it is maybe convincing me that it is a problem solved outside of the kernel and a bunch of smarties figured it out.

On the licensing side, another extremely hard problem is getting BREP to work in the first place with any decent tolerances at all. It’s a pretty monumental task and it’s often worth the money to farm it out. It’s a factor behind why CATIA is so expensive — Class A surfacing is hard to model.

Dassault also licenses out both their CGM and ACIS kernels, although nothing quite as high profile as Onshape is licensing out either AFAIK. Autodesk Shape Manager kernel doesn’t count.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i'm designing a 'real' 3d-printed acoustic/passive hearing aid, because nobody's done that yet for some reason? crosspost from CADthread

Hell yeah, I love when printing can make unprofitable accessibility aids like this available. Definitely post a model when you're releasing it, I wanna check it out

I have a great bad idea though, which is that you should model them into a cat ear headband (conveniently shaped like a sound collecting apparatus already anyway) and sell them in big bright colors for $fucktillion times production cost to subsidize the real product

Javid fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 31, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah this is super neat, some day maybe. The price is a bit of an oof though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Crosspost from guitar thread: Got my Prusacaster printed off and assembled. Sounds surprisingly good for being plastic, superglue and $60 of parts off Amazon

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm a longtime hearing aid wearer & learned about London Domes from this thread. They're very clever! It's a great fit for just cranking out on a 3d printer, because it would be kind of a pain to make by hand.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hopefully they work out how to mix nozzle sizes in the same print in the future, so we can get the best of both worlds.

Wait wait, you can't mix and match heads with different nozzle sizes in the same print? I realize I just assumed you'd be able to!

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Prusaslicer does support setting different nozzle sizes for each toolhead, but the profiles and slicer settings all mostly assume that there's one size nozzle for the whole print.

There's no mechanical reason why this wouldn't be supported, so it's mostly just waiting for the software to catch up. In the grand scheme of things I'd imagine it's relatively low priority.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Toebone posted:

Crosspost from guitar thread: Got my Prusacaster printed off and assembled. Sounds surprisingly good for being plastic, superglue and $60 of parts off Amazon

the neck included in that 60$ too? very nice!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

PlaneGuy posted:

the neck included in that 60$ too? very nice!

Yeah it was a “Leo Jaymz” kit, though when I look now they only have a HH tele kit listed for $110. Definitely got a bargain

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wonder how the sound compares to those starter guitars sold by the likes of Monoprice for ~$100-200 (depending on whether you get an amp or not).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think it’s been pretty well determined that the body of an electric guitar has basically nothing to do with the sound.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my experience most of the tone comes from the pickups and their placement so the significant bit with a budget guitar is what the cheap pickups can output.

Everything else is mostly for the benefit of human comfort, a quality neck feels better in the hand.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Toebone posted:

Is that guitar body linked somewhere? That's cool as poo poo

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

In my experience most of the tone comes from the pickups and their placement so the significant bit with a budget guitar is what the cheap pickups can output.

Everything else is mostly for the benefit of human comfort, a quality neck feels better in the hand.

I’ll also throw out the old saying “where does tone come from? Your fingers”. Pickups do matter and are real, but nicer guitars have things that lead to comfort, which lead to you playing it more, which lead to better sound.

I’d be worried about intonation, the ability for the guitar to stay in tune, neck quality, fret quality, etc.

I have three guitars and I feel my sound is way better on the most expensive guitar than my cheaper ones. Most of it is just comfort and being easier to get lost in playing.

That said, if you’re not already one of us broke brain tone chasers, that seems like an excellent option to see if guitar might be a thing you’d like.

I may print one for my nephew.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

hark posted:

Is that guitar body linked somewhere? That's cool as poo poo

this bad boy
https://www.printables.com/model/398795-the-prusacaster-a-3d-printable-guitar

Im thinking about making one for a bud, filling all the holes with a resin. SHould improve the sound dramatically

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Funny, I've been researching DIY kits for replacing Rock Band/Guitar Hero controllers lately and using the Pruscaster as a base was one that came up!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Funny, I've been researching DIY kits for replacing Rock Band/Guitar Hero controllers lately and using the Pruscaster as a base was one that came up!

I don't suppose you want to build a drum kit too...

Because I coded up something that lets you repurpose a $25 drum toy into a rock band 2 drum controller :) https://git.woozle.org/neale/mockband/

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Rad, thanks for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Rad, thanks for that!

You should know the Santroller guy has a firmware for piezo-input drums, but there's currently no way to obtain the hardware other than repurposing an old Rock Band drum set. The project that made the PCB-based guitar is working on printable drums, but it's probably a year or more out.

But the Santroller firmware is going to be a lot easier than my research-grade project. Fair warning ;)