Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
What looks jerky at 24fps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

What looks jerky at 24fps?

Something poorly animated. That is the point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

But how can a real life movement appear badly animated? It's real life it always looks real. Cinema used to be 24fps and this wasnt a constraint.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 30, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

No Wave posted:

But what does 24 movements mean? One normal second long movement divided 24 times teleporting yourself a little bit between each one?

Again I ask, have you seen a flip book? You're not even teleporting between positions you're moving into the positions you've planned out, mirroring the 'animation' you've been forced to plan out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Again I ask, have you seen a flip book? You're not even teleporting between positions you're moving into the positions you've planned out, mirroring the 'animation' you've been forced to plan out.
So it has nothing to do with jerkiness or number of movements and is just about fidelity to being in the right spot for each of those 24 frames?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Because as presented in that scene, the dude hopped down from the elevator, chopped off Trish's hand, and scurried out in like two seconds. Which is hilariously fast for someone do to all that but Jojo isn't really the kind of thing that cares about that. The entire reason he chops off her hand in the first place is because it has to happen quickly!
We are just going to have to disagree on that because he also would have had to go down the floor somehow without breaking it and while the door is still closed since Bruno had to use sticky fingers to open the floor of the elevator to see where Trish went.

quote:

As far as Polneraff, that's literally the point of the fight. Polneraff's Silver Chariot is incredibly fast (again, its established power) and he is aware of how Diavolo's ability works, so any attempt to get close to him is doomed because he can use the splatters of blood to judge when time is stopped and instantly have Silver Chariot attack all around him. Like Diavolo tries to do that first and gets hit for his trouble. He needed to blind Polneraff so he'd be caught off guard long enough for him to actually hit him! That's the entire reason he blinds him because otherwise Silver Chariot is too fast and will kick his rear end.

I guess my problem here is that if he can interact with the world during the skip, he should just be able to kill anyone since he is also able to just phase through things like bullets when he wants.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Staying still doesn't matter. After Naoya taps Maki, she had figured out how the power works, and so planned the next second over 24 movements to counter Naoya.
By that reasoning if she didn't figure it out until afterwards she should have been carded. The only way this makes sense is if she planned to stop her hug as part of her already planned 24 frames which I dispute. Really, the idea that someone has to keyframe their motions and move in accordance with those is really abstract despite on paper making sense and the part of the ability that is needlessly convoluted.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

But how can a real life movement appear badly animated? It's real life it always looks real. Cinema used to be 24fps and this wasnt a constraint.

I mean, it absolutely is a constraint? Especially in animation, but even cinema has to account for the framerate, since certain things (like panning cameras at certain speeds) look worse at those framerates.

But with animation (which I think is the intended comparison), a movement will obviously look bad/unnatural if there's too big of a gap between the positions depicted between frames. Like if you're animating a walking person, but only have a frame for when their legs are in the same part of each stride - that won't look like walking when animated.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

EmmyOk posted:

I think Kashimo really undersold how absurd his unkillability is. Kashimo’s lighting was described as a guaranteed hit outside a domain. Pretty much anyone else wouldn’t be able to just keep taking unavoidable kill shots or even handle his constant lightning damage on top of blocking with CE. Kashimo even mentioned Hakari getting faster as the fight wore on. I guess as part of Hakari’s character of being on a streak. In short as always Hakari ftmfw

Hakari may have also been holding back since he didn’t want to kill Kashimo because he needed his points.The getting faster part could’ve been him realizing oh, I might actually die at this rate.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

But with animation (which I think is the intended comparison), a movement will obviously look bad/unnatural if there's too big of a gap between the positions depicted between frames. Like if you're animating a walking person, but only have a frame for when their legs are in the same part of each stride - that won't look like walking when animated.
Is this a concern at 24 frames per second?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

By that reasoning if she didn't figure it out until afterwards she should have been carded. The only way this makes sense is if she planned to stop her hug as part of her already planned 24 frames which I dispute. Really, the idea that someone has to keyframe their motions and move in accordance with those is really abstract despite on paper making sense and the part of the ability that is needlessly convoluted.
The second she gets touched she changes her plan. Her reaction speed is good enough for that now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What other part of the ability is there? That seems like the whole ability.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We are just going to have to disagree on that because he also would have had to go down the floor somehow without breaking it and while the door is still closed since Bruno had to use sticky fingers to open the floor of the elevator to see where Trish went.

I guess my problem here is that if he can interact with the world during the skip, he should just be able to kill anyone since he is also able to just phase through things like bullets when he wants.

They literally show a hole in the roof of the car, Bruno points it out. He grabbed Trish, pulled her up, and then booked it down the ladder they show when Bruno unzips the elevator. It's not clear how Bruno knew to punch the floor instead of somewhere else besides "drama" but (at least in the manga) they make it pretty clear the dude just hightailed it. I even pulled it up on Viz to check.

He can't interact with the world with his skip. The 'bullets go through him' thing was because he only skipped like .02 seconds (something like that, it was a ridiculously small number). He can't skip time 24/7 (there seems to be a cooldown, the same way Jotaro/DIO can't just chain their 7 seconds of time stop over and over for infinite time stop) so doing a brief phase worked in that one situation but would leave him vulnerable to a follow-up in most other situations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

chapter?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They literally show a hole in the roof of the car, Bruno points it out. He grabbed Trish, pulled her up, and then booked it down the ladder they show when Bruno unzips the elevator. It's not clear how Bruno knew to punch the floor instead of somewhere else besides "drama" but (at least in the manga) they make it pretty clear the dude just hightailed it. I even pulled it up on Viz to check.
This is my last post about this because this isn't the Jojo thread and this is a topic that has been argued for years and won't stop anytime soon.
Punching the ground might make sense because the door isn't open and they are on the top floor; that part I can understand. But I think you might be confused if you mean the hole in the cabinet. Bruno zippers down to the ground floor and then follows Diavolo into crypt via that hole. There's no mention of a hole in the roof of the elevator at all nor one shown. The elevator indicator saying Roof is because the actual car is still on the top floor as all parties took their own way down.

quote:

He can't interact with the world with his skip.
Except when he is fated to do something. But then the other person is fated to just stand there like time had actually been frozen and wait until it's the most dramatic to react to Diavolo's actions afterwards. Again, I don't agree that Diavolo moved so fast in the fated world that Fate Bruno wouldn't have at least moved from his previous spot or otherwise already have been reacting to the attack after the skip.
If I were Diavolo I would just charge everyone and punch them as hard as possible in the face. Use Epitaph to make sure the blow would connect and then use King Crimson to avoid any fate that would harm me. Their fate always happens and there's virtually no chance of being counterattacked afterwards. That's basically the Trish situation if it is actually a rule for his power and not just an inconsistency.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The second she gets touched she changes her plan. Her reaction speed is good enough for that now.
I guess my problem is I'm not willing to just let Gege have that because I think he just wanted a cool moment first and foremost at what I perceive to be a breach of his own rules. Like I'd brought up earlier even if that is the case and Maki did somehow not get carded because she managed to move the right way, Naoya doesn't seem to care but we know from the Choso fight he actually does freak out when things aren't going to his plan. That should have been the biggest red flag to him even if he does look down on her.

No Wave posted:

What other part of the ability is there? That seems like the whole ability.
Just what constitutes a violation of the 24 rule from someone else in this one specific moment as it's the only one where a person wasn't framed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A King Crimson discussion in 2024 in a different kind of punch ghosts thread.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yum posted:

Hakari may have also been holding back since he didn’t want to kill Kashimo because he needed his points.The getting faster part could’ve been him realizing oh, I might actually die at this rate.

I like that there are like four separate points where Hakari realises “oh gently caress I might die”. I’m really excited to get back to his fight with Uraume. Uraume’s a bad matchup for Hakari because their ability can stop him without hurting him. It kind of nullifies Hakari’s “just tank hits and brawl” set-up. It’s been really so far and the comparison of Hakari to ancient sorcerer’s in his mindset was great.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Weren't you like a few pages ago getting confused over what the manga calling someone a "genius like gojo" meant? I'm not sure it's a lack of complexity that's ruining the comic for you.

Not sure what’s up with the hostility, I’m only saying I’m ready for more story instead of just the fight :shrug:

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 31, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
There is so much going on with the new leaks I don't even know where to begin lol, extremely fire chapter and worth the wait.

Good news too, no break next week.

I have conflicted views about this manga's strange treatment of my boy Kenjaku

If you care about the low quality scans/translation here ya go: https://imgur.com/a/pPIYmHw

I'll ignore the plot until the scane come out but I do think the top level of what is happening here is very interesting. I am genuinely surprised that Kenjaku appears fully dead, with no asterisk. If he's actually gone, that is a dead-solid indication that we are speed running this poo poo. I will be very surprised if this isn't fully wrapped up within 20 chapters at this point

Another key aspect here is how crunched scenes are becoming; when Kenjaku's body is killed (Geto) his curses all come out at once. Which was enough to scare Toji into not killing Geto during Hidden Inventory to the point that it's a major dialog scene in the anime.

You would think that would therefore mean this part of the battle would be somewhat involved and/or important, especially with it being massively foreshadowed, but Rika kills his entire army of cursed spirits in like 3 panels. Another clear indication of the speed at which we are trying to knock this out.

Kenjaku holds the secrets to many of the biggest questions so if he is really gone, I wonder how Gege will provide all of this info, I guess through Sukuna :shrug: regardless, it is starting to feel like the big break JJK just took, off and on, through the holidays is probably due to a pending speed run to the conclusion of the series (well, main line series; I would be wildly surprised if JJK doesn't spawn a spin off or three)

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 31, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol (scan spoilers) Unlimited Blade Works

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

so they really did let brain-man get away with one last stunt because they didn't go straight for the brain. man that is really dumb, gege.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Please post these links

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The scans are borderline unreadable, I think it's best to just wait for a better translation and clean-up, but here you go : https://imgur.com/a/OGAcO7j

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Maki would have been enough to take out Kenjaku and all those released spirits. Everyone screwed up by by not having Yuta help with the attack on Sukuna. On top of Yuta making the same mistake as Thor and not going for the freakin head. They knew he was a brain in a pan what is his problem?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maki would have been enough to take out Kenjaku and all those released spirits. Everyone screwed up by by not having Yuta help with the attack on Sukuna. On top of Yuta making the same mistake as Thor and not going for the freakin head. They knew he was a brain in a pan what is his problem?

Maki would have been good enough but the argument is that Rika is the only one who could do it fast enough to avoid mass casualties.

Does raise the question of "Where is Maki" though if she isn't here and she isn't there but she would have been a viable choice for there.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Maki's at the airport.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Maki is immune to a lot of domain stuff and I don't know if any of the baddies know it. The most surprising place to jump him would be in his own domain.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

No Wave posted:

Maki is immune to a lot of domain stuff and I don't know if any of the baddies know it. The most surprising place to jump him would be in his own domain.

I agree with the maki suprise jumping sukuna in a domain is smart but don't domains provide a tricky grey area for Maki? She's immune to being trapped and sure hit, but not the physical damage in a domain right? Wouldn't Sukuna be able to take off the sure hit effect in exchange for just slashing the hell out of everything within a certain radius including maki?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Malevolent Shrine can target things with and without cursed energy, so Maki wouldn’t be very effective against it. She’d likely be treated like an inanimate object meaning she’d be hit by dismantle

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why do you guys do this to yourselves, reading badly translated scans and then opinioning based on a flawed translation?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The bleeding edge of slander / memes is often times more entertaining than the actual text in mangas

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

the unabonger posted:

I agree with the maki suprise jumping sukuna in a domain is smart but don't domains provide a tricky grey area for Maki? She's immune to being trapped and sure hit, but not the physical damage in a domain right? Wouldn't Sukuna be able to take off the sure hit effect in exchange for just slashing the hell out of everything within a certain radius including maki?
She'd have to sneak up. I dont think he'd be able to detect her without laying eyes on her. Once he sees her yeah she'd be dead.

yum posted:

Malevolent Shrine can target things with and without cursed energy, so Maki wouldn’t be very effective against it. She’d likely be treated like an inanimate object meaning she’d be hit by dismantle
Oh if thats what it does by default then nm.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

This fight is hype as gently caress. If ya'll ain't enjoying this or nitpicking plotholes I'm sorry you're not enjoying this top tier punch man comic book.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's good.

It's also going to be over real soon, we are Dismanting and Cleaving our way straight to the final chapter at break neck speed.

oh also the good quality trans/scan is out, enjoy

https://opchapters.com/manga/jujutsu-kaisen/chapter-249/

Ytlaya posted:

lol (scan spoilers) Unlimited Blade Works

Also big time Mifune from soul eater vibes

Something that is becoming a bit strange is how low the quality is on many of the panels, and then Gege just slaps in UBW domain and all of a sudden you remember that he used to draw good? lol.

I was dying when Sukuna did the chainsaw grip thing and its just a bunch of extremely hard to understand lines kinda jutting everywhere, like, what. Mans just totally gave up trying to explain what Sukuna did there, and it's not like JJK has particularly easy to understand battle choreography in the first place...

ah yes, the Doodle Sword Repel, very powerful, much kaisen

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 1, 2024

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Cool chapter.

Copy being Projection Magecraft but for cursed techniques seems obvious in hindsight. I wonder why the katana granting Thin Ice Breaker faded away after use though. And Rika being inside the domain must be bonkers if she's also able to use the copied techniques.

I think Yuji's soul splitting ability is coming from those red gauntlets he's wearing.

Sukuna has only referred to two other sorcerers by their actual names so far, Gojo and Higuruma. He's calling Yuta "that possessed brat" so I guess he's not really interested in him.

Yuta has a lot of regrets and self-doubt!

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Fantastic chapter, this fight rules.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Cursed spirit manpilation's

Arguable that this is a good translation, tbh.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7653/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-249

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've been enjoying myself but it really feels like we're sprinting to a conclusion

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Takaba :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Great little chapter. Just like how Kenjaku was dismissive of him during his brief exchange with Gojo during the Shinjuku Incident, Sukuna doesn't seem to consider Yota an opponent the way Gojo and Higuruma were, despite clearly being a jujutsu powerhouse.

Maybe it's because his prodigious cursed energy capacity and copy technique are simply traits he was born with, sidestepping a "true" understanding of cursed energy? Combined with how attached Yota is to his humanity (and to others, and to Rika), it might be not that they don't believe him dangerous, but that they don't expect him to truly push boundaries and innovate during a confrontation. They've got his measure so as seasoned monsters they don't feel threatened, and might even find him a little boring despite how impressive the kid must seem to lesser sorcerers.