Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Those are all good, thoughtful analyses of Wonka. But none get over the central flaw of the film: a highly-punchable lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I haven't seen Poor Things yet but one of the Chapo guys hated it so bad and called him Youlose Lostthemost. Hard disagree, Will Menekar is adopted and I am his dad. Thankthemos

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks for the reminder that I’m missing absolutely nothing by not listening to that podcast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I've already got a smug leftist nerd inside my head, I don't need to listen to a handful of them who have even worse takes than I do.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's pretty funny

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Peccadillo posted:

I haven't seen Poor Things yet but one of the Chapo guys hated it so bad and called him Youlose Lostthemost. Hard disagree, Will Menekar is adopted and I am his dad. Thankthemos

I listen to the podcast for random chuckles, but their media takes have always been horrendous, and their politics are also heading down the drain since they went full post-Bernie nihilism.

Hopefully Christman recovers enough brain function to get back on his poo poo cause he's the MVP

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it's ok to hate Poor Things imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Even if that were true, those Chapo scamps spent the last few years rhapsodising about Billions and Ray Donovan, and Will Menaker is the epitome of a pretentious Letterboxd dweeb.

I may be accumulating too much random knowledge about those lads

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They really liked The Beekeeper

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

They really liked The Beekeeper

Some things transcend irony poisoning

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Film question - Would I like Yorgos Lanthimos films?

Context - I've never seen any of his films. I'm also incredibly picky with films. I don't know why but I mentally associate him Lars von Trier, and I've seen a couple Lars von Trier films and did not like them at all. I do not like horror films. I do not like suspense films. I don't mind a little blood/violence in films but often when they're for action films (as I like stuff like John Wick). But I don't like gratuitously violent scenes. Generally speaking, I don't like films that spend a long time making the viewer uncomfortable, if that makes sense.

I'm a fickle, picky bitch when it comes to films, but I was curious about Yorgos due to all the Poor Things buzz.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wouldn't call anything that Yorgos has made horror. Poor Things doesn't have anything like that in it. It has quite a bit of nudity, but no significant gore or violence. A couple of surgery scenes which could make a particularly squeamish person a bit uncomfortable, but nothing terribly over the top. There are verbal discussions of abusive acts, but not presented as shock, just as someone discussing their traumatic upbringing.

The Lobster doesn't have any of that sort of content, though has a scene that implies some visceral violence. Dogtooth you may want to avoid, but the violence isn't presented in a horror capacity.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lanthimos isn't horror or Trier like but is very uncomfortable

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Umm probably not as a whole oeuvre cause there's definitely a bunch of discomforting material in his stuff, but he's nothing like von Trier.

Poor Things is a lot more accessible than Dogtooth or Killing Of A Sacred Deer tho so idk worth a shot

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

I listen to the podcast for random chuckles, but their media takes have always been horrendous, and their politics are also heading down the drain since they went full post-Bernie nihilism.

Hopefully Christman recovers enough brain function to get back on his poo poo cause he's the MVP

Chapo is one of the few places to admit Southland Tales is excellent, so they’re good actually

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The Killing of a Sacred Deer is pretty close to horror. I'd start with The Lobster or go and see Poor Things while it's still in cinemas, it's easily Lanthimos' most accessible work while still being a Lanthimos film.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Chapo is one of the few places to admit Southland Tales is excellent, so they’re good actually
:hmmyes:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The trick is to learn to enjoy being made uncomfortable by a given movie scene

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

there’s a limit for me for some things but generally it’s fun. Movies don’t scare me so feeling icky is good lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven’t watched a horror movie since like the original REC

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blood Boils posted:

The trick is to learn to enjoy being made uncomfortable by a given movie scene

The bullying montage early in A Silent Voice is the most difficult to watch thing I’ve ever seen. They put jaunty childhood antics music over it to reinforce that they think what they’re doing isn’t that bad, which makes it so much worse.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haven’t seen Poor Things yet

The Favorite is probably his most newcomer-friendly movie of the ones I’ve seen, it’s the least weird

Lobster is funniest, also most absurd. I think it was most on my wavelength

Killing of a Sacred Deer is extremely bleak but I also laughed out loud once and then felt embarrassed because the theater was silent

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jay Rust posted:

I haven’t watched a horror movie since like the original REC

horror is the only good film genre

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't see genre

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's odd because I don't mind something that's uncomfortable (I loving loved the recent show The Curse). There's something about uncomfortable violence though that I just can't stomach. Even something simple like, to make up an example, if there's a film where someone slowly cuts of their own ear, I would not be interested in the entire film because of it.

For instance, I'd read some reviews of Saltburn and that film seems just generally like my nightmare.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I watched Lanthamos' Dogtooth on accident because I thought it was Trier's Dogville. Dogtooth is awesome and weird

It's upsetting but it's never scary as such. If self harm is overwhelming don't check it out, Dogteeth is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVysSnB3yg

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 2, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mordiceius posted:

Film question - Would I like Yorgos Lanthimos films?

Context - I've never seen any of his films. I'm also incredibly picky with films. I don't know why but I mentally associate him Lars von Trier, and I've seen a couple Lars von Trier films and did not like them at all. I do not like horror films. I do not like suspense films. I don't mind a little blood/violence in films but often when they're for action films (as I like stuff like John Wick). But I don't like gratuitously violent scenes. Generally speaking, I don't like films that spend a long time making the viewer uncomfortable, if that makes sense.

I'm a fickle, picky bitch when it comes to films, but I was curious about Yorgos due to all the Poor Things buzz.

I HATE von Trier. I thought Dogtooth was incredible (but difficult at times), The Lobster intriguing, loved The Favourite, and LOVE Poor Things. The two directors are nothing like each other, thank god.

Jay Rust posted:

I’ll go further than that: it’s ok to hate any film (except the Paddington films - hate those and you’re some kind of monster).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s also okay to not enjoy listening to people hate something you like

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Iron Claw was sick. Should've gotten nominations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We should bring back the duel so we can have a film buff version of that 17th century Italian* dude who killed or maimed 20 men in duels over whether Dante or Ariosto was a better poet but admitted on his death bed that he had read neither and just really liked duelling.

Just imagine:
A dude killing fifty men in arguments about the Snyder Cut without having seen any version of the Justice League.

*Not really Italian as Italy had yet to be invented but so Italian in spirit that it transcends the trivialities of linear history.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

therattle posted:

Those are all good, thoughtful analyses of Wonka. But none get over the central flaw of the film: a highly-punchable lead.

True, they shoulda leaned into that.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Colin Farrel plays a loving idiot so good and Lanthamos uses it second best

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I got strong kangaroo jack vibes from agent argyle trailers so I had a feeling it was going to be poo poo, and also feel certain that the cat was a producer addition that someone thought was necessary for ad sales

The Peccadillo posted:

I like the chapos well enough but their takes on movies are - with rare exception - consistently so loving bad that every time they try to talk film it makes me suddenly doubt their opinion on everything else.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I like the chapos well enough but their takes on movies are - with rare exception - consistently so loving bad that every time they try to talk film it makes me suddenly doubt their opinion on everything else.

I think most of the time they voice a movie opinion it's that they love Michael Mann and John Carpenter movies, and anything with Paul Giamatti in it.

The Chapo reviews of blockbusters aren't always good, but they're great at reviewing right wing and Christian movies. They know about the politics and culture the movies come from so that they can see how those interact with the filmmaking in a way that most bad movie reviewers can't.

Their review of The Reliant is fantastic. Strong recommendation to anyone who likes reviews of bad movies, even people who don't know or like Chapo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQz_YQcSJJ0

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have apparently traumatized one of my younger coworkers (mid twenties, not a child or anything) by recommending Ichii The Killer. He's seen Battle Royale so I thought he'd be fine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The Chapo reviews of blockbusters aren't always good, but they're great at reviewing right wing and Christian movies. They know about the politics and culture the movies come from so that they can see how those interact with the filmmaking in a way that most bad movie reviewers can't.

But the vast majority of blockbusters are right wing movies

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I read Battle Royale because the movie was so good and boy howdy does it smartly occlude some nasty stuff

Like the baseball player and the twink are just kinda killed off screen. Wild poo poo goes down in the manga

Doubt I could get it up with my guts spilled out

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 2, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I watched the "time travelling Muslims kill Jesus" movie because of chapo and it was actually sick

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why would they do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Why would they do that

Honestly, watch the movie to see