Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The OG skip cutscene troll is that one NPC who delivers a big speech and then says

Did you get all that?
  Yes
> No

in whatever zelda it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jose Oquendo posted:

America's Army lasted all the way through 2022? :psyduck:

Took them that long to realize CoD is a way better recruitment tool smdh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mysterious frankie posted:

I was actually kinda on Short Message’s side until the bit where you need to go through the maze interacting with objects to make the chains come off the door. The maze is hard to navigate, you have something like eight objects to find, you’re being pursued by a one hit kill monster, and if you die the chains reset. No thanks.

'Monster chases you through a maze' is the ultimate 'we have no idea what to do with this horror game' red flag, I'd have more respect if they just made it a walking sim.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
When is that state of play?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mr Hootington posted:

When is that state of play?

5 PM EST yesterday.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Had to look up the source

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=810&v=A0s0Usfg__g&feature=youtu.be

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i restarted yakuza 0 a few weeks ago, wanting to give it an honest go this time. i got past the first boss encounter and it's fun enough so far, but yeah i skipped a lot of cut scenes and don't feel like i missed much of anything. i watched/paid attention to like half of what was going on and i got the gist of it just let me get back to punching holy poo poo.

e: then i bought re4 and just started playing that instead. i pick up a diary with three pages of lore/back story about the virus or plot and just mash x until it goes away. roundhouse kicking zombies > reading

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

One game series that surprisingly handles NPC dialogue well is Far Cry (the delivery of the dialog; I'm not endorsing the writing itself). You can choose to get a long-winded full speech or just a one sentence summary. And either way you can just run off and the dialog will complete over your radio

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

ShoogaSlim posted:

i restarted yakuza 0 a few weeks ago, wanting to give it an honest go this time. i got past the first boss encounter and it's fun enough so far, but yeah i skipped a lot of cut scenes and don't feel like i missed much of anything. i watched/paid attention to like half of what was going on and i got the gist of it just let me get back to punching holy poo poo.

e: then i bought re4 and just started playing that instead. i pick up a diary with three pages of lore/back story about the virus or plot and just mash x until it goes away. roundhouse kicking zombies > reading

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sakurazuka posted:

'Monster chases you through a maze' is the ultimate 'we have no idea what to do with this horror game' red flag, I'd have more respect if they just made it a walking sim.

All they had to do was make progress on the door persistent between deaths. I’d wander around that stupid maze over and over again until I removed all the chains, even though the hallways look kind of samey and sometimes it’s hard to tell when I’m going or if I’m even moving down a halfway or walking against a wall in a dark corner. But then the last time I had two chains left when she killed me, resetting my progress, and that was it. I wasn’t curious enough to push on and see how the loose pile of well worn contrivances resolved.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dewgy posted:

5 PM EST yesterday.

That isn't today

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm really looking forward to seeing whatever it is ND and Guerilla are doing. Feels a bit like my PS5 is gathering dust right now.

Some big games coming in soon, but I'm in the mood for a big bombastic Sony game. Spider-Man 2 just didn't hit the spot for me and I'm not sure why. I love spidey and enjoyed it, but it was probably a bit too similar to the first one and hasn't pulled me back to swing around and take photos.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i'm currently watching tombstone for the first time today. 130 minutes i'll happily spend sitting on my couch watching a story unfold without prompting me for inputs.

when it's time to game, i want to game. aka move a character or objects on screen and interact with the mechanics of said game. not sit there pressing x after every sentence to advance dialog.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Tombstone would’ve been much better if there was Baldur’s gate 3 style battles between each conversation

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

looked up longest video game cutscenes ever

9. Legend Of Heroes: Trails Of Cold Steel 3 - 20 Minutes
8. Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core - 23 Minutes
7. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 24 Minutes
6. Xenosaga - 25 Minutes
5. Kingdom Hearts 3 - 28 Minutes
4. Death Stranding - 31 Minutes
3. Yakuza 0 - 42 Minutes
2. Star Ocean: The Last Hope - 46 Minutes
1. Metal Gear Solid 4 - 71 Minutes

loving christ at mgs4. i was young when i played it, so i'm sure i had more patience around when it came out. but there's almost no chance in hell i tolerate anywhere near that length these days at my age.

edit: the last game i remember playing with a deep narrative where i wasn't bored was last of us 2. i think it helps that the cutscenes aren't all that long, and they incorporate a lot of narrative and storytelling while you're actually playing the game.

the other most recent game with a lot of narrative was god of war ragnarok and while it had a decent narrative, the reliance on the no-cut camera really made you feel the strings attached to how they were trying to force you into storytelling mode. there are sections of that game that straight up allow you to "control" kratos while story is happening, but you can't take more than 4 steps away from the person who's talking and you can't turn around or do anything else. might as well be a cutscene!

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 2, 2024

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ShoogaSlim posted:

6. Xenosaga - 25 Minutes
3. Yakuza 0 - 42 Minutes

loving christ at mgs4. i was young when i played it, so i'm sure i had more patience around when it came out. but there's almost no chance in hell i tolerate anywhere near that length these days at my age.

Xenosaga’s definitely underestimated here. It might technically be more than one cutscene but I distinctly remember a two hour stretch of nothing but plot.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShoogaSlim posted:

6. Xenosaga - 25 Minutes
3. Yakuza 0 - 42 Minutes

I beat the last boss of MGS4 at midnight on a school night. I was hosed.

Actually I also beat Yakuza 0 at midnight on a work night and was similarly hosed.

I don't know if I trust that list though. If the Crisis Core cutscene is the one I'm thinking of that has some gameplay segments half way through so I don't know if that counts as one continuous cutscene.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Metal Gear Solid 4 is made even worst by only having like 4 hours of gameplay.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I just started Yakuza Like a Dragon and the first 2-3 hours is basically a glorified cut scene. And it owns.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BigDumper posted:

I just started Yakuza Like a Dragon and the first 2-3 hours is basically a glorified cut scene. And it owns.

This but Persona 3.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Dewgy posted:

Xenosaga’s definitely underestimated here. It might technically be more than one cutscene but I distinctly remember a two hour stretch of nothing but plot.

Xenosaga was the only game I played on that list and it definitely had a stretch that was waaay longer than 28 mins. I gave up out of sheer boredom.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Just finished Plague Tale Innocence. Can't wait to see what fun coming of age adventures Amicia gets up to next.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dewgy posted:

Death Stranding is the same. The end of that game goes for at least two hours and it might as well be a cutscene.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dewgy posted:

There's a part in Xenosaga Ep. 1 that ends in a 15 min cutscene then you press start and the 25 minute cutscene happens immediately after, the list is probably only including uninterrupted cinematics if it's accurate at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Thundercracker posted:

Just finished Plague Tale Innocence. Can't wait to see what fun coming of age adventures Amicia gets up to next.

oof

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The ones I have the hardest time getting through are the retro JRPGs with endless dialog that you read, and then press a button to go to the next sentence, and it just continues on forever.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ShoogaSlim posted:

don't feel like i missed much of anything. i watched/paid attention to like half of what was going on and i got the gist of it just let me get back to punching holy poo poo.

You're gonna get about half to 3/4 of the way through when all the double crossing and the plot starts tipping into masterpiece territory, but you won't have a clue what's going on and you'll drop it. As fun as beating people up in these games is, the story has to hook you to be able to do it for 35 hours straight.

The Yakuza games are a melodramatic TV series packed with mini games and fighting. Theyre better when you're half way between the mood for a TV show and maybe a bit of game.

E: the ending of death stranding for me also fell a bit flat due to the length. I ended up saving on the black beach to leave it for the next day and then had 15 minutes left to play. If a game is going to hit a 90 minute to 2hr ending, the pause screen should tell you how long is left.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t mind infinite cutscene hell but slow dialogue boxes absolutely kill me.

I can genuinely read really loving fast so I’m not out here trying to just blindly mash my way back to the action, for fucks sake just let me max out that text speed and x my way through it you are torturing me to death with this slow scrolling bullshit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

There's a part in Xenosaga Ep. 1 that ends in a 15 min cutscene then you press start and the 25 minute cutscene happens immediately after, the list is probably only including uninterrupted cinematics if it's accurate at all.

Yeah it looks like it only counts zero activity stretches, not minimally interactive stretches where you can't make meaningful choices but do have to prompt the game to continue. I think the full end sequence of MGS4 is closer to 90 minutes with that in mind and there are probably JRPGs that are even longer

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dewgy posted:

Yeah those numbers mist be like time between loading screens or something, XBC3 isn't even on there and it has a bit in the middle where you get a boss fight in the middle of two hours of cutscenes.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://x.com/PlaystationSize/status/1753164424569827692?s=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I don't think you actually think this
i sincerely love other people and reading their opinions

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

i care. i think all people should be invited to speak their truth. god bless.

very blessed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Video games should have a skip dialogue button, but if you keep hitting it the characters start looking around all irritated by the distraction, until one of them goes "well AS I WAS SAYING" and start from the very beginning of the cutscene.
the only good part of the western bionic commando reboot was there's a boss who monologues a bunch about how powerful he is and his motivations and you have a dedicated button to yell SHUT THE gently caress UP at him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lEDDMCstDw

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

BigDumper posted:

This poster gets it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

ShoogaSlim posted:

6. Xenosaga - 25 Minutes
3. Yakuza 0 - 42 Minutes

edit: the last game i remember playing with a deep narrative where i wasn't bored was last of us 2. i think it helps that the cutscenes aren't all that long, and they incorporate a lot of narrative and storytelling while you're actually playing the game.

the other most recent game with a lot of narrative was god of war ragnarok and while it had a decent narrative, the reliance on the no-cut camera really made you feel the strings attached to how they were trying to force you into storytelling mode. there are sections of that game that straight up allow you to "control" kratos while story is happening, but you can't take more than 4 steps away from the person who's talking and you can't turn around or do anything else. might as well be a cutscene!

MGS4 is funny because you hear about the long rear end ending then you play it and you watch the long rear end ending and you're like drat! that was a long rear end ending, then the credits roll then the graveyard scene starts playing...

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The final chase scene in silent hill got me a few times, then I realized that the phone tells you the location of all the items which made it super easy in the winning run.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

yakuza like a dragon is 11 bucks on psn and i was tempted to buy it bc im intrigued by the series. but these last few replies are making me a-ok with probably never bothering.

there should be a distinction when posting/talking about games between enjoying one bc it's really satisfying to control mechanically (celeste, neon white, doom eternal) vs a game you enjoy bc you're swept up in the narrative (i have no examples bc i don't prefer games like this)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ShoogaSlim posted:

yakuza like a dragon is 11 bucks on psn and i was tempted to buy it bc im intrigued by the series. but these last few replies are making me a-ok with probably never bothering.

there should be a distinction when posting/talking about games between enjoying one bc it's really satisfying to control mechanically (celeste, neon white, doom eternal) vs a game you enjoy bc you're swept up in the narrative (i have no examples bc i don't prefer games like this)

you also get mad at games that are mechanically satisfying all the time? lol

maybe you're just The Worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wolfsheim posted:

you also get mad at games that are mechanically satisfying all the time? lol

maybe you're just The Worst

You could be on to something here