Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

koolkal posted:

Well you have a point, Biden never brought us to the brink of conflict, he dove right into a conflict.

*Trump at the very least expanded drone warfare into Somalia and oh yah, restricted reporting on drone strikes.
*"Alleged civilian deaths in Iraq and Syria skyrocketed under Trump's four years in office to more than 13,000
*Trump had an on the ground NAVY Seals raid Yemen.
*Let's not forget the raid in Niger that got swept under the rug in 2017 that we all collectively decided was not worth investigating.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

Trump directly bombed Iran.

And directly assassinated a Major General of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 3, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wish Biden was as much of a warmonger as some people make him out to be and had nuked Russia already

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I wish Biden was as much of a warmonger as some people make him out to be and had nuked Russia already

I, too, wish to live in the Mad Max movies

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s kind of impressive that “Donald the Dove” and “he’s gonna run left of X” remains alive as concepts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

edit as a reminder:

*Trump at the very least expanded drone warfare into Somalia and oh yah, restricted reporting on drone strikes.
*"Alleged civilian deaths in Iraq and Syria skyrocketed under Trump's four years in office to more than 13,000
*Trump had an on the ground NAVY Seals raid Yemen.
*Let's not forget the raid in Niger that got swept under the rug in 2017 that we all collectively decided was not worth investigating.

These same points have been brought up with this same poster a dozen times as they know Donald the dovr is a good troll but we are supposed to pretend they don't know all this every single time.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

It’s kind of impressive that “Donald the Dove” remains alive as a concept.

It's impressive that it even became a concept after his declaration that we should "kill ISIS members and their families"

Now it's just insane that it still exists as a concept 8 years after that

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The only things Trump has said concretely about how he'd handle the Israel/Gaza war differently was to ban refugees from Gaza and screen immigrants for anyone sympathizing with Hamas (or other "Muslim extremists"). This was from back in October so he might have had a change of heart since then but I haven't found anything so far

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-iowa-caucus-2024-election-c8f0ff23b1a39fb4e2b7aee9da15f0ed

quote:

CLIVE, Iowa (AP) — Doubling down on the hard-line immigration policies that have long animated his base, former President Donald Trump on Monday vowed to bar refugees from Gaza and immediately expand his first-term Muslim travel ban if he wins a second term following the deadly attack on Israel last week.

Speaking to supporters in Iowa, Trump said that if he returns to the Oval Office, he will immediately begin “ideological screening” for all immigrants and bar those who sympathize with Hamas and Muslim extremists. The war between Israel and Hamas has sparked what is now the deadliest of five Gaza wars for both sides, with more than 4,000 dead.

His proposals would mark a dramatic expansion of the controversial — and legally dubious — policies that drew alarm from immigrant rights and civil liberties activists, but helped him win the GOP primary in 2016. Trump has long railed against the U.S. taking immigrants from countries he has dubbed inferior, particularly in Africa and the Middle East, and told the crowd Monday that while he was president the U.S. stood up for Israel and “Judeo-Christian civilization and values.”

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Mooseontheloose posted:

When did this happen?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

koolkal posted:

When did this happen?

Sorry he assassinated an Iranian general in Iraq, I thought it was in Iran.

edit: And it almost started a hot war, Iran showed the greater restraint.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump very deliberately is refusing to say anything he’d do in any conflict. He simply defaults to “it never would have happened if I was president”. It’s just magic thinking as foreign policy. It’s insane.

But of course anyone who paid attention the last 8 years and was being honest can plainly see Trump would not be and has not been less aggressive in the Middle East, less supportive of Israel, or more protective of Palestinians.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Also, for the numerous posters pointing out what Trump would do: that's largely irrelevant.

People are starting to view Biden as a warmonger negatively and if there's one thing we know about Trump, it's that he has no problem claiming viewpoints that don't at all represent what he actually thinks or what he will do. So yes, he absolutely can and will claim he would not have escalated like Biden if we end up becoming ensnared into a larger conflict in the ME.

Not to mention that you're not going to ever win over Republicans running as a Dem hawk/neocon anyway.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 3, 2024

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
There is a genocide going on right now in Palestine and Joe Biden is such an active participant in it that he belongs right next to Netanyahu at The Hague.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Trump very deliberately is refusing to say anything he’d do in any conflict. He simply defaults to “it never would have happened if I was president”. It’s just magic thinking as foreign policy. It’s insane.

But of course anyone who paid attention the last 8 years and was being honest can plainly see Trump would not be and has not been less aggressive in the Middle East, less supportive of Israel, or more protective of Palestinians.

That "A gallon of their blood for every drop of ours" reply to stories of Americans killed on 10/7 wasn't a policy statement, but it sure was a statement. And reminds me of lots of 2016 "Aww, it's just rhetoric, don't take it seriously" campaign promises he kept, like dropping more bombs than Obama and killing more civilians.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

STAC Goat posted:

The Middle East was Jared's problem to solve. If Trump were President, Jared would have solved it by now. Duh.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

koolkal posted:

Also, for the numerous posters pointing out what Trump would do: that's largely irrelevant.

People are starting to view Biden as a warmonger negatively and if there's one thing we know about Trump, it's that he has no problem claiming viewpoints that don't at all represent what he actually thinks or what he will do. So yes, he absolutely can and will claim he would not have escalated like Biden if we end up becoming ensnared into a larger conflict in the ME.

That just seems to make it more relevant to point out what Trump would actually do.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Angry_Ed posted:

And directly assassinated a Major General of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.

That was an obvious invitation to a war. Everyone's very lucky that Iran didn't take that bait.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

koolkal posted:

In 2016 that was true. Trump being all over the map on foreign policy for example was absolute catnip to critics of Obama and Hillary's foreign policy history who wanted to paint them as the warmongers of our times to the point of memory holing Bush over it. If you were so motivated, the "Obama's too soft, we need to kill more people" thing that anyone paying attention knew was his more genuine belief was easy to sweep under the rug because he'd never been in office and had no record of votes or actions to go on. Similarly, many who felt the ACA was underwhelming swooned for "I'll have a health care plan and it will be just beautiful!" because he was a blank slate. Or those annoyed by partisanship when he claimed to be a great dealmaker like one you've never seen. And lots of news outlets, even those that definitely weren't openly for Trump, went breathlessly with it.

It's not 2016 though. Even if that sort of credulity was excusable then it's a harder sell now even if you're "Ken Bone, undecided voter" rock stupid. Trump making claims all over the place has a distinct pattern that we can compare with his actual pattern of actions and choice of allies and subordinates.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
One other thing we know about Trump's foreign policy is that he plans to invade Mexico if elected

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jaxyon posted:

That was an obvious invitation to a war. Everyone's very lucky that Iran didn't take that bait.

I was the lead Battle Watch Captain for one of the Task Forces in CENTCOM during the one-year anniversary of Soleimani's assassination, and the pucker factor up and down the chain was very real.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

We're all very lucky that Iran's leaders are much more sensible and capable of much greater restraint than America's were back then.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ms Adequate posted:

We're all very lucky that Iran's leaders are much more sensible and capable of much greater restraint than America's were back then.

Hell, even Papa Roach was more sensible.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Weren't there a couple instances where very serious military leaders had to talk Trump down from just preemptively using nuclear weapons?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

borkencode posted:

Weren't there a couple instances where very serious military leaders had to talk Trump down from just preemptively using nuclear weapons?

It's great that we've got two modern Presidents who forced the military into creating ways to ignore orders if the C.I.C is drunk or tweeted them from the toilet.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Killer robot posted:

That "A gallon of their blood for every drop of ours" reply to stories of Americans killed on 10/7 wasn't a policy statement, but it sure was a statement. And reminds me of lots of 2016 "Aww, it's just rhetoric, don't take it seriously" campaign promises he kept, like dropping more bombs than Obama and killing more civilians.

He pretty much promised to genocide Gaza harder than Israel.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

It's great that we've got two modern Presidents who forced the military into creating ways to ignore orders if the C.I.C is drunk or tweeted them from the toilet.

Richard Nixon did nothing wr wait, you're talking about someone else, never mind

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 40 hours!)

STAC Goat posted:

It’s kind of impressive that “Donald the Dove” and “he’s gonna run left of X” remains alive as concepts.

H.L. Mencken posted:

"No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Killer robot posted:

I don't know if we can tell if he kept that last 'promise', because the first thing he did was to order the forces to stop keeping count of civilian casualties.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Bidenomics seems to be doing great

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1753419517168865488

CNBC posted:

Nonfarm payrolls expanded by 353,000 for the month, better than the Dow Jones estimate for 185,000. The unemployment rate held at 3.7%, against the estimate for 3.8%.

Average hourly earnings increased 0.6%, double the monthly estimate. On a year-over-year basis, wages jumped 4.5%, well above the 4.1% forecast.

Job growth was widespread in January, led by professional and business services with 74,000. Other significant contributors included health care (70,000) and retail trade (45,000).

If this trend continues, and the Dems start getting louder about it, maybe the vibe will shift.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ither posted:

Bidenomics seems to be doing great

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1753419517168865488

If this trend continues, and the Dems start getting louder about it, maybe the vibe will shift.

I think the perception's already been turning, thanks to us!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

STAC Goat posted:

There is literally a state-sponsored disinformation campaign keeping those narratives alive my man.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

It would probably be easier to fight back against the "Donald the Dove" stuff if his opponent weren't actively supporting and enabling a genocide.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the perception's already been turning, thanks to us!

Someone needs to tell Shaun to eat poo poo. :getin:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

B B posted:

It would probably be easier to fight back against the "Donald the Dove" stuff if his opponent weren't actively supporting and enabling a genocide.

Donald Trump has declared he’d join the genocide because he thought Israel was being soft. Which is a few dozen steps past what Biden has done.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
From what I see Americans are so politically ignorant, misinformed, and/or apathetic its starting to seem crazy that we talk about "preserving democracy". This democracy!?!?! These parties, these voters?!?!?

I don't know if anybody heard Clyburn yesterday (on NPR I think), being questioned about bidens campaign. It was... relevant... funny... and very uncompelling, to me. I don't have a link so I'll have to paraphrase.

"People are saying they're tired of voting AGAINST somebody, what can you say voters are voting FOR with Biden?"
"Freedom and Democracy! Trumps going to take those away!"

Lol

On Gaza, he seemed dismissive of calls for a ceasefire. He said they were just a "loud distraction keeping people from seeing the quiet extra super good work Biden is doing to ensure a ceasefire". Said "obviously we all want a ceasefire, Biden really wants a ceasefire!"

As if you get what you want by shutting up and being quiet and having faith that your leadership wants and is doing all the good things you agree with. While people are dying en mass.

Anecdotally (and in all the many polling and survey debates here) I think Americans are so politically... incoherent... what could you say to sway them from whatever bizarre relationship they have with the news, and with the words Democrat and republican? So these statements seem bizarre to us sickos who try to stay informed, but I also don't think that they will land with anybody who didn't want to buy it in the first place.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

B B posted:

A Burger King clerk has as much power as Trump to feed arms to Israel right now so I suppose that’s technically true

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

B B posted:

On the contrary, you don't need to blame bad "Gonna outflank the dems from the left!" takes in 2024 on anyone other than the people making them. Eight years of contrary evidence from Trump alone have worn the plausible argument of ignorance down to nothing, leaving only dishonesty as an explanation. And even genuine bad stuff done by Dems (while Republicans shout that it's not bad enough) gives zero cover for that.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
No Arab or Muslim American is under any obligation to vote for Joe Biden for any reason, least of all ones who have watched the entire Gazan branch of their family be annihilated over the past four months.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

From what I see Americans are so politically ignorant, misinformed, and/or apathetic its starting to seem crazy that we talk about "preserving democracy". This democracy!?!?! These parties, these voters?!?!?

Anecdotally (and in all the many polling and survey debates here) I think Americans are so politically... incoherent... what could you say to sway them from whatever bizarre relationship they have with the news, and with the words Democrat and republican? So these statements seem bizarre to us sickos who try to stay informed, but I also don't think that they will land with anybody who didn't want to buy it in the first place.

I agree OP, this country should be run by forums.somethingawful.com posters instead of the citizens.

But no it is very frustrating to actually take the pulse of the American voter and see what comes of it. Even when given the direct chance to make things better, the voters will frequently just say "No gently caress that I like how broken it is right now so we can't change it." We tried to get ranked choice voting in MA, even outspent the opposition to it so it's not a matter of monied interests quashing the momentum. It still didn't pass, in one of the most educated and "progressive" areas of the nation the voters said "gently caress it we like the broken FTTP system and two party dominance we have now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

koolkal posted:

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-poll-biden-war-gaza-4159b28d313c6c37abdb7f14162bcdd1

Joe Biden, Warmonger, is now more extreme than most independents.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump starts running to the left of Biden on this issue since even Republicans are starting to find Israel going too far in notable amounts

Where does it say in that article that Joe Biden is more extreme than independents?

I see a poll of independents that now is a majority in saying that Israel’s offensive attacks has gone too far. This is much different than saying Biden’s support of Israel has gone too far.