Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/marklazerus/status/1753544464587469098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

You are right, but I meant that there may be guys we aren’t thinking about that just appear out of nowhere. Admin Hill feels like a name that’s only recently been appearing, because he’s never played that many games.

Basically, I’m saying is the starter will be Chris Dreidger.

Oh yeah I agree with you, I just mean I don't even see who is a candidate to appear out of nowhere at this point. I guess that's kind of the point of the whole "out of nowhere" part, but even Adin Hill wasn't someone who appeared out of thin air. It certainly felt that way but I was definitely aware of him being a solid backup in Arizona's system before he eventually got his job in Vegas. It's gotta be someone who is maybe under the radar now, but will get the opportunity with their big club soon, and also have enough time to establish enough a resume to to make a case to be on team Canada.

I guess Levi and Hofer might not be bad bets after all actually. Maybe Nico Daws too? They're probably all too well known already to qualify though, and I don't know the AHL well enough to say who is a good. It looks like a guy named Jet Greaves (good name) and Matt Villalta are the best Canadian goalies there, and they're in Columbus' and LA's system, respectively.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 3, 2024

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Oh yeah I agree with you, I just mean I don't even see who is a candidate to appear out of nowhere at this point. I guess that's kind of the point of the whole "out of nowhere" part, but even Adin Hill wasn't someone who appeared out of thin air. It certainly felt that way but I was definitely aware of him being a solid backup in Arizona's system before he eventually got his job in Vegas. It's gotta be someone who is maybe under the radar now, but will get the opportunity with their big club soon, and also have enough time to establish enough a resume to to make a case to be on team Canada.

I guess Levi and Hofer might not be bad bets after all actually. Maybe Nico Daws too? They're probably all too well known already to qualify though, and I don't know the AHL well enough to say who is a good. It looks like a guy named Jet Greaves (good name) and Matt Villalta are the best Canadian goalies there, and they're in Columbus' and LA's system, respectively.

Yeah, I agree with all of this.

I was going to say the only name we haven't mentioned is Jarry, but then I went back to the original projections and he's the back-up.

Outside of goalies, I really do hope Crosby plays. It will be a true passing of the torch situation. And, looking up his previous Olympics, I am now just remembering he was left off the 2006 team. That was Team Grinder.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Stuart Skinner gonna win the cup then the world cup then another cup and then the Olympic Gold

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

grack posted:

Bettman is a weasel, but he also more or less said that the four NHL players that are being charged won't be in the NHL until the legal process is resolved.

So what happens if their contracts end before this is all done? From what I understand this isn’t going to trial until 2025/2026, and it seems all 4 are on expiring contracts this year.

It also seems unlikely that anyone will sign them this summer, so while they won’t be terminated, will they just all be unemployed?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Zaroff posted:

So what happens if their contracts end before this is all done? From what I understand this isn’t going to trial until 2025/2026, and it seems all 4 are on expiring contracts this year.

It also seems unlikely that anyone will sign them this summer, so while they won’t be terminated, will they just all be unemployed?

Probably. No team will touch them in North America, for sure.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wouldn't surprise me if they signed in the KHL but I doubt they get a NHL job ever again, and I'm sure many European teams won't touch them either.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Outside of goalies, I really do hope Crosby plays. It will be a true passing of the torch situation. And, looking up his previous Olympics, I am now just remembering he was left off the 2006 team. That was Team Grinder.

McDavid from Crosby and Bedard in the finals as a past, present and future goal would be cool.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm sure Crosby's still got another 2 years in him. He may not be a PPG at that point but hell, who knows

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
new skills competition seems pretty good, the guys definitely seem to be trying harder than in the past

McDavid won fastest skater and Pastrnak most accurate shooter so far.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

for real, a million bucks bonus is nothing to sneeze at, even for the big boys out there

e:
they took 2 points from Pasta for the shooting so it's actually MacKinnon who won the accuracy shooting

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 3, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pastrnak most accurate shooter so far.

Lol instant replay at the skills competition.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

pseudodragon posted:

Lol instant replay at the skills competition.

robbed!!!

Also, this passing competition is neat but everyone seems confused by it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As far as playing in the KHL for the probable rapists, I don't know whether Canada is similar, but in the US they almost certainly would not be allowed to leave the country while felony charges are pending against them.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Did they scrap the shootout competition, aka the only potentially entertaining event?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did they scrap the shootout competition, aka the only potentially entertaining event?

No, it's the final event, and they get to call out which goalie they want to shoot on.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No, it's the final event, and they get to call out which goalie they want to shoot on.

Yeah but given the bonus, is it like a real competition now? Instead of the fun WWE type thing they’ve done in the past?

EDIT: lol at kucherov totally phoning it in

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah but given the bonus, is it like a real competition now? Instead of the fun WWE type thing they’ve done in the past?

Yeah I think so. I think it'll be good. Instead of gimmicks they're theoretically going to be trying their best to win that million bucks.

Lol Kucherov got boo'd at the all star game

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I think so. I think it'll be good. Instead of gimmicks they're theoretically going to be trying their best to win that million bucks.

Lol Kucherov got boo'd at the all star game

Yeah but I like the gimmicks. They’re fun (when the players put effort into it like Zegras a few years ago)

I can watch players trying their best to win a shootout any night during the regular season. Except those are even better because I doubt the goalies tonight are going to be giving any effort, since they’ve got no skin in the game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah but I like the gimmicks. They’re fun (when the players put effort into it like Zegras a few years ago)

I can watch players trying their best to win a shootout any night during the regular season. Except those are even better because I doubt the goalies tonight are going to be giving any effort, since they’ve got no skin in the game.

Well the idea here is that because the shooter chooses which goalie they face, the goalie is going to say "gently caress you for thinking your best chance at winning is to shoot on me"

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Also the goalie with the most saves in that part gets $100k

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Carver posted:

The Olympic announcement is so weird to me, I feel like the NHL has pushed hard over the past decade to never go back to them and instead do their own thing.

Then just randomly one day Bettman is like "hell yea let's go to the next 2"

IMO a significant impetus was the London police bringing the five in for questioning. Essentially putting up a flashy future international event to coddle surface-level hockey followers who otherwise may have let their attention drift towards the rape, cover-up, and on-going bullshit at all levels of pro and amateur hockey.

Basically, NHLers in the Olympics was always going to be a near-instant Yes reply from the players and IIHF. Bettman, on behalf of the owners, withheld his support until they could extract some sort of concession or benefit in return.

Tossing out an Olympic-sized flare to dilute the coverage, pacify some casual followers, and amplify the vocal "boys will be boys, let's fuckin' go, #cherrywasright" contingent would be viewed as a valuable benefit, I'd reckon.

But hey, maybe I'm just being pessimistic, and Bettman & Co took up a New Year's resolution to prioritize satisfying the desires of a majority of the players and the fans while receiving no immediate added compensation, and my pop-up :guillotine: shoppes won't do big business in the end.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

I have zero expectations for any current star player to make any statement which might upset the applecart.

But mayyyyybe Sidney will be able to connect some dots about the vile poo poo directed towards him and his family as a youth, and come to the conclusion that yeah, Canadian hockey environments have fostered, enabled, and abetted some downright criminal poo poo for decades longer than any player or poster has been alive.

lol, i am in a mood today, maybe i'll walk away from the keyboard for a bit

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Kucherov does not care about this at all

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Kucherov rocks for this one specific thing. he’s so funny about this

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Owns that Bjorkstrand cancelled his vacation to be picked last on national tv and not partake in a single event

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

All star weekend isn't usually my thing, but oh man the passing to inanimate triangles competition was AMAZING!

E: 93 rapist looks loving rough.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 3, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
https://twitter.com/jeffisrael25/status/1753598816668746211

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol this loving dork rear end moron playing coy about Houston is the funniest thing

All the blocks are in place you stupid gently caress, you don't even need to build a new arena!!!! gently caress!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Who’s the biggest personality in the league right now? I feel like everybody goes out of the way to keep it demure that anyone even smiling after a win is looked at like an alien.

This is doubly true for the all star game. Why can’t they be normal people?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Because they move away from home at 12 years old and do nothing but play hockey and think hockey

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Counterpoint: every other professional sport

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Because they move away from home at 12 years old and do nothing but play hockey and think hockey

They're also encouraged to not rock the boat or be too different or you're considered a bad teammate

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Who’s the biggest personality in the league right now? I feel like everybody goes out of the way to keep it demure that anyone even smiling after a win is looked at like an alien.

Like at the all star game or just in general? I'm probably biased since I mostly follow Boston but Marchand, Pastrnak, and Swayman are all pretty funny or at least not-boring. For other teams Ovi is still usually pretty entertaining, Laine seems like an interesting guy, the Tkachuk brothers. Can't really think of anyone else at the moment.

It's probably Marchand though.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Putting a team in Cincinnati is the stupidest idea yet, would pretty much be the death knell of ~20 years of building a solid fanbase Columbus

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Good soup! posted:

lol this loving dork rear end moron playing coy about Houston is the funniest thing

All the blocks are in place you stupid gently caress, you don't even need to build a new arena!!!! gently caress!

People really don't want to work with Fertitta.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

AsInHowe posted:

People really don't want to work with Fertitta.

Source?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

As far as playing in the KHL for the probable rapists, I don't know whether Canada is similar, but in the US they almost certainly would not be allowed to leave the country while felony charges are pending against them.

The Athletic asked some lawyers about this and other aspects of the legal proceedings ($, https://theathletic.com/5236597/2024/02/02/world-juniors-2018-hockey-canada-charges-trial/ )

That was specifically answered -- yes, they would be allowed to travel, the only reason they wouldn't is if they were a flight risk and there's no evidence of that.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

and speaking of that, cynically wondering if the NHL was just fishing for big news to drop and that's the only reason why they conceded on the olympics :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
They conceded previously then 'woops can't send the NHLers to the olympics we need to make up games because everyone kept getting covid and we canceled games'