Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Frieren’s slow pace is both :discourse: and :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

sb hermit posted:

Frieren’s slow pace is both :discourse: and :f5:

Yeah I feel the same way - I like the pace when I'm watching it but I'm always disappointed when the episode ends and I'll have to wait for another week for more.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Is Dungeon Meshi any good? It was hyped to hell but now that's it's airing I'm not hearing much of it and a lot of people seemed turned off by the first few episodes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Weakest Tamer rising to the top of my list. Caught up to the current episodes.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Is Dungeon Meshi any good? It was hyped to hell but now that's it's airing I'm not hearing much of it and a lot of people seemed turned off by the first few episodes.

no idea who those people are. it's very good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feldegast42 posted:

it's good. it's just the kind of thing that starts off a bit more formulaic and simple but it's well animated and the writing is fun

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Feldegast42 posted:

There's a thread for it where we rave about every episode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, because unlike most of the other fantasy anime, this one is good enough to have a thread full of people talking about it so we don't have to report in the season thread about how we totally thought this one would be the good one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bread bread bread

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, because unlike most of the other fantasy anime, this one is good enough to have a thread full of people talking about it so we don't have to report in the season thread about how we totally thought this one would be the good one

Undead Adventurer has actually been pretty good if more laidback and a friend who got me into Witch and the Beast says the adaption is actually pretty good or at least not as bad as they dreaded.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spookydonut posted:

She wants to pat blurin so badly, even just that brief touch of his foot beans made her squee

Didn't she also go very chuuni with the magic stuff?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Dungeon Meshi looks to be very good, but if you just go by the first few episodes, it might seem like it's just an above average cooking fantasy comedy type show. Haven't read all of the manga, but I read enough that I was excited for the anime adaptation.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wplobXXJE0Q

:siren: Satoshi Kon's Paprika will have a very limited run in theaters next week in 4K. I'm talkin' one or two nights (one dub, one sub).

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

is Undead Adventurer the undead one where he's super OP, and a good guy, but everyone thinks he's evil and runs away or keeps trying to kill him

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

is Undead Adventurer the undead one where he's super OP, and a good guy, but everyone thinks he's evil and runs away or keeps trying to kill him

sounds agonizing to watch if that's the case

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GateOfD posted:

Not really. He is a good guy, and not terribly OP (though he does grow stronger rapidly), but no one runs away or tries to kill him. He largely keeps his undead nature hidden from all but his closest friend until he can pass as human-enough.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GateOfD posted:

No. No idea what that one is.

Nemo2342 posted:

Not really. He is a good guy, and not terribly OP (though he does grow stronger rapidly), but no one runs away or tries to kill him. He largely keeps his undead nature hidden from all but his closest friend until he can pass as human-enough.

Pretty much this. Home boy is a lower tier adventurer who gets mixed up in weird poo poo going on of varying degrees of above his pay grade that he needs to navigate.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 4, 2024

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Furnaceface posted:

It is honestly amazing that my brother and I have such opposite taste in anime. He wouldnt stop bugging me to watch Solo Leveling, Classroom of the Elite, and Undead Adventurer. So I gave all of them a 3 episode test and didnt find much in any of them. Also I really hate shows with video game stuff like menus and inventory and leveling now apparently.

Meanwhile I ask him to watch Sign of Affection and Dark Gathering and he wont even watch one episode calling them girly and childish, respectively.

I'm big into the Dark Gathering manga but the anime...

I haven't actually properly watched it, so it might be good, but it doesn't LOOK good.

Then again I'm still mad about the Azumanga Daioh anime so maybe I just have unreasonable expectation for cartoons about my favorites

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GateOfD posted:

No, it's the one where he's just a mid tier helpful guy that dies and becomes an undead and from that, new opportunities emerge that gets him more powerful. Spoiler: It turns out he's also sorta special with his own unique abilities unrelated to being undead, but he's not quite all the way OP

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

doomrider7 posted:

No. No idea what that one is.

That was Berserk Of Gluttony which is fairly different but has a few cosmetic similarities, such as both protags hiding their identity behind a spooky skull mask.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

OnimaruXLR posted:

Then again I'm still mad about the Azumanga Daioh anime so maybe I just have unreasonable expectation for cartoons about my favorites

...?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm big into the Dark Gathering manga but the anime...

I haven't actually properly watched it, so it might be good, but it doesn't LOOK good.

It's like normal in terms of seasonal anime where the industry has to make 30+ of them at a time, but yeah that's not actually very good and I found it poorly conveyed the horror (already difficult for anime tbf).

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

kirtar posted:

Didn't she also go very chuuni with the magic stuff?

more repressed otaku than chuuni imo

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That was Berserk Of Gluttony which is fairly different but has a few cosmetic similarities, such as both protags hiding their identity behind a spooky skull mask.

no, not that either.
The one I'm thinking of is an undead that just wants to die, but attacks never do anything to him. But he doesn't want to hurt other people either. So he's helping a bunch of people who end up after being thankful, then run away from him when they see him. And other guilds that find out about some "evil" OP skeleton keep attacking him with their strongest attacks that just bounce off of him and then run away for their lives. I think he's been undead for so long, he has bad communication skills, so he just ends up sounding like he's growling at them and making weird noises when he tries to talk to them. Some of the smarter guild members think he might be non-hostile because he never chases after anyone.

He does get some action where he's pretty unlucky/lucky where he stumbles on some necromancer evil cult who thinks he's with them, but they're the only ones that he actively tries to hunt or track down because he thinks they might have some clue on how to end him, but he just keeps bulldozing each leader.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

no, not that either.
The one I'm thinking of is an undead that just wants to die, but attacks never do anything to him. But he doesn't want to hurt other people either. So he's helping a bunch of people who end up after being thankful, then run away from him when they see him. And other guilds that find out about some "evil" OP skeleton keep attacking him with their strongest attacks that just bounce off of him and then run away for their lives. I think he's been undead for so long, he has bad communication skills, so he just ends up sounding like he's growling at them and making weird noises when he tries to talk to them. Some of the smarter guild members think he might be non-hostile because he never chases after anyone.

He does get some action where he's pretty unlucky/lucky where he stumbles on some necromancer evil cult who thinks he's with them, but they're the only ones that he actively tries to hunt or track down because he thinks they might have some clue on how to end him, but he just keeps bulldozing each leader.

Was it an anime or manga?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

light or web novel, hasn't gotten an anime i guess apparently. don't know if it got any manga adaptations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Orb Crabmelt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wplobXXJE0Q

:siren: Satoshi Kon's Paprika will have a very limited run in theaters next week in 4K. I'm talkin' one or two nights (one dub, one sub).

I saw this when it originally came out in a theater, and it really makes a difference to see it that way. If it's anywhere near you, go see it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Feldegast42 posted:

it’s good

also, the english simuldub is also very good and this is the only anime I’ve ever skipped the subs on for the past 20 or so years (when I watched cowboy bebop in 2001 on cable).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Watched the first episode of Weakest Tamer, and... huh. I guess this is the one isekai show of the season that the staff decided to give 200% in adapting. poo poo's got actual cinematography.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

sb hermit posted:

it’s good

also, the english simuldub is also very good and this is the only anime I’ve ever skipped the subs on for the past 20 or so years (when I watched cowboy bebop in 2001 on cable).

Ehhhh I nearly dropped the show watching the dub, switched to sub and now I like it a lot more. The English VAs are not great.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Splode posted:

Ehhhh I nearly dropped the show watching the dub, switched to sub and now I like it a lot more. The English VAs are not great.

I feel like the bulk of the dub viewers are there for SungWon Cho/ProZD rather for the whole cast or translation being good.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've been enjoying the hell out of Dungeon Meshi but I do think that it's a show that is not very conducive to hype, in the sense that it is not a "blockbuster" style show full of jump up and tear your shirt off moments.

I understand being enthusiastic about good poo poo, but I think some people need to learn that mellow material needs to be matched with mellow enthusiasm, otherwise you're setting people up for something completely different.

Then again asking for temperance on the internet is probably a failing proposition in general, much less from people who are excited about a thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ7qD5yct_8

There's plenty of comparison videos out there for Japanese and English Marcille and Emily Rudd brings her own style which still works for the character.

And they just had Imari Williams on the episode with the orcs and he sounds way better than the Japanese orc voice. So no, it's not "just" people watching for ProZD, it's a good dub, period.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 4, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have read hundreds if not over a thousand different manga over the years, and dungeon meshi is up there in my top 3 manga of all time, and by the end of it became one of my favorite pieces of fiction period. It might start out slowly but the characters, world design, writing, monsters, etc are second to none, it ramps up consistently throughout the story going from a trot to a sprint by the finale, and it ends extremely strongly.

Waffleman_ posted:

at what point in the last few years did you turn into such a trash-can-dwelling curmudgeon, waffleman.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Watched the first episode of Weakest Tamer, and... huh. I guess this is the one isekai show of the season that the staff decided to give 200% in adapting. poo poo's got actual cinematography.

yeah shigeyasu yamauchi is directing that one for some reason. the casshern sins guy

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Feldegast42 posted:

Arc Hammer posted:

Bread bread bread

^

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I feel like the bulk of the dub viewers are there for SungWon Cho/ProZD rather for the whole cast or translation being good.

I thought it was a great dub before I found out prozd voiced senshi

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I haven’t kept up wtt but Solo Leveling has been pretty quality and decent so far, especially compared to the pretty meh adaptation of Returners Magic. Manhwa adaptations seem to stay hot or cold.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

pork never goes bad posted:

Everybody very beautiful

i guess since so much of the show is from yuki's perspective it's possible to forget that everyone is gorgeous. her viewpoint might color the framing and artstyle every once in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i still like sign of affection quite a bit. the visuals, editing, and perspective work are great, and it's kind of nice to have a romance show where the couples just spend entire episodes figuring out how to communicate with each other.

the newest episode also did the 'bring color into your world metaphor' multiple times so i could never dislike this show

https://i.imgur.com/Y60Ms9I.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/sJQnXcx.mp4