Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sebmojo posted:

It's not a problem from a mod perspective.

I'm glad to have an admin take on this.

Early on some folks got upset because they thought Pradmer was spamming affiliate links. That these posts have grown in the esteem of the thread to the point that folks are clamoring for them to be affiliate links lol but it's been an organic process so I don't have a problem with it. (I can't use them of course since I can't buy Kindle editions from dot com) What I would have a problem with is if the thread became a battle ground of competing affiliate links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If there are going to be affiliate links then I will have quality expectations. If I'm not happy with my purchase then someone needs to make it right.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FWIW I think Pradmer should have sole rights (so long as they want to do it) to post affiliate links in this thread, given they've been doing it for so long. I don't want to see this thread devolve into a bunch of people posting competing links.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
I never set out to gain anything and I'm already up a free avatar (which I still love, thanks Bilirubin!). Appreciate all the well wishes but I still think affiliate link stuff is kind of lame. I'm doing just fine without them. I can only imagine the general vitriol if I tried to branch out to twitter about promoting the wrong books or not mentioning whatever the new hot social media buzz is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pradmer posted:

I never set out to gain anything and I'm already up a free avatar (which I still love, thanks Bilirubin!). Appreciate all the well wishes but I still think affiliate link stuff is kind of lame. I'm doing just fine without them. I can only imagine the general vitriol if I tried to branch out to twitter about promoting the wrong books or not mentioning whatever the new hot social media buzz is.

Dude I always assumed you were gettin paid, I never even checked

Don't work for free! never work for free! That's how they get ya!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hey man, I even paid to work here.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Joker said it himself:

“If you are good at something, never do it for free.”

Go get paid Pradmer

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Does Amazon still let you do affiliate links to a charity? Maybe do that, if an option.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

Books 4 and 5 I'm not liking as much, they're told in third person multiple viewpoint and actually contain some exposition and narration of stuff the viewpoint character-of-the-moment couldn't have known, which is fine overall, I don't hate it, but it's a bit of a letdown after the first three books.

Book 4

is actually in first person.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just finished Blindsight. Extremely good book, but gently caress, what a bleak ending.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

nemesis_hub posted:

I just finished reading Peter F. Hamilton's The Reality Dysfunction. I didn't think it was very good. I was looking for a popcorn space opera and this was....sort of that? But the execution was all hosed up.

First of all, the book is absurdly long: a thousand pages where the actual story could easily fit into half that.

Second, the length might make sense if the prose and ideas were adding something to the plot, but they're really not. The prose is very descriptive but in an oddly dry way--even when the characters are having sex or swearing vengeance it feels flat and passionless.

Which brings me to the next problem I had--the character are all really unlikable. Now I don't think a story always needs to have "relatable" characters, but this book didn't seem like it was giving me nuanced, complex portraits, just annoying jerks. The main character is supposed to be a roguish hotshot pilot who is maybe psychic and also really good at sex? But I never actually bought him as being cool. The narrative just tells you he is.

The ideas, the imagined future, are all very strange. It's taking place something like six or seven hundred years in the future but at one point a space colony is described as being comprised of "ethnic Canadians". It's not just that the setting seems to just project the present into the future though--feudalism and monarchy are back but also still capitalism somehow with seemingly zero thought put into why or how.

There are a few moderately cool action scenes but they are not cool or frequent enough to justify the length or all the other bad parts.

Finally, there are too many passages where Hamilton describes how hot a teenager is for my comfort. What a weird loving book. And this is the first of a trilogy and I guess he's quite a well known author?

If you haven't got to the space ghost of Al Capone yet then you're still reading the best bits.

Put it down, walk away, don't think about how hot PFH thinks the 16 year olds are

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

WJW is one of my favorite authors. His Dread Empire's Fall series is space opera. He wrote those at the same time he wrote the Quillifer books, which are fantasy political comedy, or satire, or something like that. He's written in a great many genres, usually successfully.

Agreed, have a huge soft spot for WJW, the only ones I'd avoid would be Arostoi (great idea, just didn't land for me) and the Drake Maijstral books, a sort of Wodehouse in space about an upper class space cat burgler

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

fritz posted:

Book 4

is actually in first person.

Yeah, there's one line in one chapter that implies that it's actually narrated by the Shape of Peace, but in practice this doesn't affect any other part of the book, especially given that the other parts featuring the Shape of Peace are narrated in third person like the rest, presumably because it's a different aspect of the Shape or something.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

I just finished Blindsight. Extremely good book, but gently caress, what a bleak ending.

The sequel might cheer you up

We're going on an adventure!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Children of Memory (Children of Time Book 3) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZTW4J6V/

This trilogy surely went places.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

branedotorg posted:

Agreed, have a huge soft spot for WJW, the only ones I'd avoid would be Arostoi (great idea, just didn't land for me) and the Drake Maijstral books, a sort of Wodehouse in space about an upper class space cat burgler

I have friends who think Aristoi is his best book! I also found the Maijstral books hilarious, but they are definitely in a different vein than his other work. For me, the two to avoid are The Rift and Days of Atonement. The Rift is his attempt to write an airport thriller, DofA is a police procedural that the protagonist discovers is also science fiction, and neither one landed for me. It felt like he was laboring to write, not enjoying the work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ringu0 posted:

Places such as on an adventure.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I have friends who think Aristoi is his best book! I also found the Maijstral books hilarious, but they are definitely in a different vein than his other work. For me, the two to avoid are The Rift and Days of Atonement. The Rift is his attempt to write an airport thriller, DofA is a police procedural that the protagonist discovers is also science fiction, and neither one landed for me. It felt like he was laboring to write, not enjoying the work.

What's dofa?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Dofa deez nuts

it’s Days of Atonement

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
:supaburn:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Groke posted:

I'm just 2% into Exordia. This is going to be a weird loving ride, isn't it?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thank you for doing the needful.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Groke posted:

I'm just 2% into Exordia. This is going to be a weird loving ride, isn't it?

huh I just hit about that too

I almost feel like everyone's wrong, it's not that more happens in the first third than most trilogies, more happens in the first ten pages than most books, what the gently caress

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

.. .
For Algorithmic Reasons, it's important for newly published novels to get to about 50 reviews on Amazon so the machine starts to advertise them to new readers. For that reason I'm going to post the Amazon link, but grab the book however's best for you. It's just the review that matters, not how you buy it.
. . .
If you pick it up I hope you enjoy it. There is some goon poo poo in there I am sure you will spot.

Looks like our boy just needs about twelve more reviews on Amazon to hit that fifty-review threshold!

I did not spot the goon stuff but that's probably because I was reading the book too fast

mewse
May 2, 2006

Looks like our boy just needs about twelve more reviews on Amazon to hit that fifty-review threshold!

I did not spot the goon stuff but that's probably because I was reading the book too fast

Fucker named a character Grover Howes

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

mewse posted:

How long will it take to capture Blackbird? 2 days
Will Iruvage be killed? Yes
and so on, and so on.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

mewse posted:

You’re lying

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

navyjack posted:

You’re lying

They are not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

How long will it take to capture Blackbird? 2 days
Will Iruvage be killed? Yes
and so on, and so on.

Oh godddammmit

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

navyjack posted:

You’re lying
Page 244.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm so excited to get to these

Genuinely not sure when the last book hooked me so well in the first chapter or two.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ringu0 posted:

definitely my least favourite of the 3

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

sebmojo posted:

It's not a problem from a mod perspective.

Imho, they were bit annoying, but you can just put them on ignore.
I did. :shrug:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Issaries posted:

Imho, they were bit annoying, but you can just put them on ignore.
I did. :shrug:

post username lore violation combo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

redleader posted:

definitely my least favourite of the 3

same, and that's with having entirely forgotten everything about 2

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Exordia.

JFC what a trainwreck. In the best possible sense! There's this sense of inexorability, "surely this isn't going to go like that" (oh yes it will) and the escalation and horror just keep... escalating. You keep hoping that everything will turn out fine, that the plucky heroes will save the day, the train will stop in time and surely nobody important will get nuked, until at some point you realize that this is not that kind of a book. Honestly I was kind of surprised this didn't go full Greek tragedy, but I guess GB might like to write a sequel or two at some point...

I've read reviews complaining that the first act writes checks that the rest of the book can't cash, but I feel that this is the wrong way to look at it. In the end I thought the first part worked fine as a kind of prologue, or like the cold open in a Bond movie. This is a (dark) first contact novel after all, even if it looks almost like some sort of odd couple / buddy-cop thing in the beginning.

Great characters, snappy dialogue, obviously very well researched. The scientific underpinnings were fresh in a pretty Greg Egan sort of way. Also loved the very small number of fucks the characters had to give.

And the easter eggs, goddammit absolutely worth it, at least those few I found.

Hats off, General Battuta, this is a fine work indeed. I will probably need 30 to 50 cozy books to get over it. Also I hate Clayton so much.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
This is what the first act of Exordia is like

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Cradle, Foundation (#1-3) by Will Wight - FREE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076G8DVN6/

Witch World: Estcarp Cycle (#1-3) by Andre Norton - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GQPFPW5/

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Reading Exordia on my Kobo, a lot of Khaje dialogue is strings of ☒☒☒☒ ☒☒☒☒. Is this supposed to be Arabic script that I don't have the right font for? Alien talk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

Reading Exordia on my Kobo, a lot of Khaje dialogue is strings of ☒☒☒☒ ☒☒☒☒. Is this supposed to be Arabic script that I don't have the right font for? Alien talk?

It displays correctly on my kindle as arabic script