Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fun bit of anime/DnD history is that Record of Lodoss War, famously, started out as a narrativized retelling of actual DnD sessions, but when the creators wanted to make an official Lodoss module, TSR told them to go to hell. so they made an entirely new system that eventually became Sword World RPG, which is significantly more popular in Japan than post-AD&D dungeons and dragons has ever managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Fun bit of anime/DnD history is that Record of Lodoss War, famously, started out as a narrativized retelling of actual DnD sessions, but when the creators wanted to make an official Lodoss module, TSR told them to go to hell. so they made an entirely new system that eventually became Sword World RPG, which is significantly more popular in Japan than post-AD&D dungeons and dragons has ever managed.

TSR was famously great at business, such as claiming that playtesting was gaming on the job and therefore developers weren't allowed to do it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's a mistaking of the circumstances. The playtest ban came about because TSR staff would set up in a space and play D&D in lieu of doing actual work, calling it playtesting. When it was actually just Dan's campaign and Gary's campaign etc.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
How many of you would die and get possessed to get a hug from Falin?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I would not.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

IIRC Japan's conception of a lot of popular Western fantasy creatures comes from one very specific edition of D&D, where Kobolds are dogs and Orcs look like pigs.

Probably Mentzer Basic (the classic "Red Box" D&D) which was pretty much the "default" edition from its Japanese release in 1985 to the switching over to AD&D 2nd Edition in 1991. This is what they were playing in the Record of Lodoss War replays, which are basically Japanese Lord Of The Rings in terms of being the foundational text of "western" style fantasy genre fiction tropes.

mdct posted:

The Japanese release of AD&D was super high-effort, with a pretty good translation and hiring local artists to do all new art for it. That every edition after it not only didn't do that, but were relatively low-effort translations on top of that, is a big reason why no edition beyond AD&D did well in the country.

Apparently the release of AD&D 2E was kind of a bomb over there, because the established player base didn't like switching over from Basic and the new player market was being eaten up by the domestically produced Sword World RPG. The Japanese AD&D publisher went bankrupt in 1994 and Japan wouldn't see more AD&D until 3rd edition got released ther in late 2002.

What they DID get in the meantime was a really really nice Rules Cyclopedia release in 1997, edited into three books and with a bunch of new art and stuff. Pretty sure these arethe books mdct is referring to. They look great, even if there's the unshakeable hint that they're kinda ripping off Record of Lodoss War with the artstyle, which is ironic when you think about it.

https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/appendix-j/rules-cyclopedia/

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Theres something that makes me really happy when i learn about how other countries and cultures interact with media from america, D&D especially.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Storing the holy water in a jar and swinging it around because ghosts pass through corporeal objects and so would come into contact with it anyways is so genius.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Snooze Cruise posted:

Dog kobolds are always the best type of kobolds. We as a society need to accept them into our hearts as the true default.

All Kobolds Get Into Heaven.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
This show is unhinged and I love it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Really enjoyed the focus on the other, more traditional party at the beginning, to contrast and showcase both how weird and how inexplicably competent Laios' party is. :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if they'll add more of those flashback scenes with Laios and Falin's first party to keep her in the story until they get back to the dragon. What's Dwarf Lady and Samurai Man's deal?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Dwarf Lady and Samurai Man were former members of Laios's party who bailed after Falin became a dragon snack. They're briefly mentioned in the first episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy also used the original D&D look for their monsters which helped engrave those looks in Japan’s consciousness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HexlazeArt/status/1753820136245432611?t=1szkpTRiXvnGe0Kbc8J_gw&s=19

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
it's so obvious that ghosts would just pass through glass so just swing the loving jar around instead what a galaxy brain idea

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 3, 2024

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

Really enjoyed the focus on the other, more traditional party at the beginning, to contrast and showcase both how weird and how inexplicably competent Laios' party is. :allears:

Arc Hammer posted:

I wonder if they'll add more of those flashback scenes with Laios and Falin's first party to keep her in the story until they get back to the dragon. What's Dwarf Lady and Samurai Man's deal?

seconding both of these. very good ep, cant think of an ep so far without an S-tier Marcille reaction face

Henker
May 5, 2009

I like how the fantasy races so far are depicted as the opposite of their usual stereotype. Like elves are usually stoic and very graceful/precise when fighting, but Marcille is high strung and takes more of a "blunt object" approach to her magic. Or dwarves are usually gruff and masculine, but Senshi is affable and loves cooking (a generally feminine coded activity).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marcille is a triangular elf as opposed to a rectangular elf.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who is the pentagonal elf

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 4, 2024

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Who is the pentagonal elf

thats simple

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Zeruel posted:

it's so obvious that ghosts would just pass through glass so just swing the loving jar around instead what a galaxy brain idea

I love it because it absolutely feels like something someone would come up with at a table during a campaign

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Today we learn that chilchuck is older than Laois

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Hihohe posted:

Today we learn that chilchuck is older than Laois

by halfling standards, he's basically middle-aged. i think he's the oldest member of the group going by their relative life expectancy

bit disappointed that they didn't include the enchanted painting bit from the extras. it's so perfectly hosed up

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Some excellent background Marcille in this episode

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

gently caress i wanna eat some crab or something now :burger:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I absolutely love this take on mimics as being like hermit crabs, wearing treasure chests, helmets, etc as shells.

And a bonus callback to treasure bugs and some information on how they interact...

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Chapter covers in the manga

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was hoping they would do some fun stuff the art style when Laois went into the paintings before this episode came out and while they didn't I am not disappointed cause they saved all the effort animation for the mimic stuff. Which was probably the right decision because those scenes were super fun and had a lot of energy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If only I could have used this for the Christmas Yule log channel last year :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder where Laios got that bestiary because it suggests that there's someone out there with a monster obsession equal to or greater than his own.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's going to turn out some wizard spent a summer with Senshi and that's where the guidebook comes from.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1755677640697016386
particularly fascinating production info tweet thread this time around, though heads up that there's a vague "this comes back later" type of spoiler near the end (albeit something that anime onlys could easily assume on their own)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Chillchuck pancaking himself into the wall was definitely a standout frame

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I bet Chilchuck is like 40.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I bet Chilchuck is like 40.

Basically lol, the average lifespan of a half-foot is about 50 years, so 29 is well into middle-aged.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So was Marcille just straight up gnawing through the shell at the end there :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Regalingualius posted:

If only I could have used this for the Christmas Yule log channel last year :(

In case anyone wants it for an av:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Unlucky7 posted:

So was Marcille just straight up gnawing through the shell at the end there :v:

Yes, remember Laios did much the same in episode one.