Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Heads up: Satoshi Kon's Paprika will have a very limited run in theaters next week in 4K. I'm talkin' one or two nights (one dub, one sub) depending on the theater.

*windmill slams Buy Tickets before checking where the theater actually is* oh gently caress me, I'm gonna have to drive like 15 miles on Friday evening to get to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is jinman the monkey one or the Internet one

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

HootTheOwl posted:

Is jinman the monkey one or the Internet one

yes

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

all of my descriptions are 100% accurate to the source material as presented. when you think Buck, you think Quality

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

1stGear posted:

*windmill slams Buy Tickets before checking where the theater actually is* oh gently caress me, I'm gonna have to drive like 15 miles on Friday evening to get to this.

Over thirty miles for me :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the problem with jinmen is that the faces are so ugly you can't really tell when there's supposed to be something wrong with the humans. is this guy mutating into a monster or is he just naturally gross looking? :shrug:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

1stGear posted:

subs not dubs

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it had some high highs but really low lows. the worst thing about it is how it constantly teases bigger things but never actually goes there. There’s no way this is the story Ōkouchi actually wanted to tell. The series didn’t get nearly as much support as it should have and they shut it down when it was getting the most interesting.

Yep that sounds like 90% of gundam

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it had some high highs but really low lows. the worst thing about it is how it constantly teases bigger things but never actually goes there. There’s no way this is the story Ōkouchi actually wanted to tell. The series didn’t get nearly as much support as it should have and they shut it down when it was getting the most interesting.

All of this seems wildly off base to me. Witch From Mercury doesn't tease bigger things, it has a very fleshed out setting. The episode about Bob on Earth isn't a tease, it's showing you another part of the world and giving you a glimpse of where the two terrorist girls came from. I know some people were like, "I wish the whole show was about this!" but that's not a failure of the show that's just you wanting to watch a different show. And as stated earlier, that show exists, it's called Iron-Blooded Orphans, you can watch it right now.

I can absolutely guarantee that WfM is the story Okouchi wanted to tell. That was made very clear before the show even started, the pre-release production materials themselves were a giant neon flashing sign saying :siren:THIS IS RIFFING ON THE TEMPEST:siren: It's very clear the story is supposed to be about revenge and forgiveness, not the monetary policy of the earth sphere or whatever. That's why the show ends when it does, most of the character's arcs have been resolved. Almost all of them largely dealing with forgiveness of themselves or others.

Sunrise gave the show a crazy amount of support, there were behind the scenes production problems but Sunrise's solution was "throw animators at it". The last episode had something nuts like 50 key animators.

WfM is not a perfect show. I think the only real failing is how rushed it gets to the end. It definitely feels like they were planning for a regular 26 episode two cour season and just forgot they were only getting 24 episodes, so they had to pack a lot in the last three or four episodes and a lot of plot beats didn't have any time to breathe. But I don't think there's anything supporting the idea that Sunrise meddled in the plot or failed to support the show properly. and "I wish I was watching more Iron-Blooded Orphans" isn't a valid criticism of Witch from Mercury.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the problem with jinmen is that the faces are so ugly you can't really tell when there's supposed to be something wrong with the humans. is this guy mutating into a monster or is he just naturally gross looking? :shrug:

Baki problem I see

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gripweed posted:

"I wish I was watching more Iron-Blooded Orphans" isn't a valid criticism of Witch from Mercury.

it is :colbert:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

iron_blooded_orphans.gif

I was talking about Chars Counterattack but that works too,

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Needed to be gayer

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
witch of mercury was trash poo poo and that money could have been used to make the second Hathaway movie faster

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

it was just boring, I don’t give a poo poo about school dynamics in my gundamns

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

yeah i was about to say, i don't think it's bad, i just wasn't interested in another high school days anime.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
it didn’t even really play with the high school setting, I think they show them in class like two or three times tops.

I like Witch from Mercury but it probably had too many plates spinning for how short it is.

and that ending had to be rushed, it practically lifted the conclusion of Unicorn down to the all white mobile suit with glowy bits stopping a colony laser with its body.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Gripweed posted:

But I don't think there's anything supporting the idea that Sunrise meddled in the plot or failed to support the show properly.

https://x.com/G_Witch_M/status/1685628114125340672?s=20

They failed to support the literal text of the show they produced with a homophobic statement. There's no way my thinking brain is going to avoid making the connections that follow up from this.

quote:

and "I wish I was watching more Iron-Blooded Orphans" isn't a valid criticism of Witch from Mercury.

Ever hear the old adage "don't remind people that they could be watching a better movie?" Witch From Mercury does that multiple times, even to the point of teasing its own premise and failing to deliver on it. You think I'm complaining about the show because it's not Iron Blooded Orphans, but what I'm complaining about is that the show introduces all of these plot points and characters who are way more interesting and compelling than its core characters and plot. The knowledge that there are dark skinned & armed refugees on Earth who have to fight for their lives in a running battle with the security forces of the First World, makes the stakes of will Suletta finally be with Miorine or not seem trivial. Sophie and Norea literally come from nothing and can only dream about a world where children don't have to grow up in poverty like they did (because they will certainly die soon), and all the people they care about could be stomped out like bugs at any moment. It's really hard to care about a girl with the personality of a dog and her bougie girlfriend after they've left the scene. Someone made fun of me for wanting the show to be about "space taxes" but the climax literally happens because of Benerit Group having too much market share.

Over and over again WFM winds up a punch but pulls it back at the last second. It tries to be everything to everybody and fails to measure up to anyone's standards. It can't even deliver a wedding, which was teased from the beginning of the series, or a kiss. And don't tell me it's because they ran out of key animation money like you claimed half a year ago. Nobody has a woopsie doo and "forgets" that they only had 24 episodes planned and not 26. You're reaching. If this is truly the story that Okouchi wanted to tell then he's a coward.

And I haven't even started on the conclusion. You say it's an adaptation of "The Tempest" but it's a bad adaptation that doesn't make sense. Prospera's real plan isn't even revenge, per se, the point of Quiet Zero is to control every permet system in Sol so Ericht can live in a world of peace. So what is there to forgive? If you let Prospera have what she wants then the state of eternal war as a business model stops. It's not even apparent that living in the data storm as a human being is a problem. I mean, talk about a parallel to Iron Blooded Orphans. The imperial powers get their way in the end, except whereas IBO forces through radical reforms that end child soldiery - in WFM nothing changes. Once the Earth firms have been busted out and reabsorbed into space capitalism it's status quo ante.

After all that am I supposed to be happy that Suletta and Miorine are in a passionless marriage where Miorine is off playing space philanthropist, while the rest of the cast is acclimatizing to their space bourgeois duties? gently caress no, dude, this poo poo sucks.

Needed to be gayer.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

needs more zakus imo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

all gundams need more of this guy:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Witch From Mercury is the Gundam that dabbled in left wing radicalism and queerness in college before moving on to their nepotism make work job at Raytheon.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I haven't actually watched a gundam except war in the pocket and 08th ms team I just like building the models

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
buck sample g and wing

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

buck sample g and wing

g gundam is the one that's just a boxing tournament with like Netherlands Gundam and he's just a gundam with a windmill on him right. I should watch that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://x.com/G_Witch_M/status/1685628114125340672?s=20

They failed to support the literal text of the show they produced with a homophobic statement. There's no way my thinking brain is going to avoid making the connections that follow up from this.

Ever hear the old adage "don't remind people that they could be watching a better movie?" Witch From Mercury does that multiple times, even to the point of teasing its own premise and failing to deliver on it. You think I'm complaining about the show because it's not Iron Blooded Orphans, but what I'm complaining about is that the show introduces all of these plot points and characters who are way more interesting and compelling than its core characters and plot. The knowledge that there are dark skinned & armed refugees on Earth who have to fight for their lives in a running battle with the security forces of the First World, makes the stakes of will Suletta finally be with Miorine or not seem trivial. Sophie and Norea literally come from nothing and can only dream about a world where children don't have to grow up in poverty like they did (because they will certainly die soon), and all the people they care about could be stomped out like bugs at any moment. It's really hard to care about a girl with the personality of a dog and her bougie girlfriend after they've left the scene. Someone made fun of me for wanting the show to be about "space taxes" but the climax literally happens because of Benerit Group having too much market share.

Over and over again WFM winds up a punch but pulls it back at the last second. It tries to be everything to everybody and fails to measure up to anyone's standards. It can't even deliver a wedding, which was teased from the beginning of the series, or a kiss. And don't tell me it's because they ran out of key animation money like you claimed half a year ago. Nobody has a woopsie doo and "forgets" that they only had 24 episodes planned and not 26. You're reaching. If this is truly the story that Okouchi wanted to tell then he's a coward.

And I haven't even started on the conclusion. You say it's an adaptation of "The Tempest" but it's a bad adaptation that doesn't make sense. Prospera's real plan isn't even revenge, per se, the point of Quiet Zero is to control every permet system in Sol so Ericht can live in a world of peace. So what is there to forgive? If you let Prospera have what she wants then the state of eternal war as a business model stops. It's not even apparent that living in the data storm as a human being is a problem. I mean, talk about a parallel to Iron Blooded Orphans. The imperial powers get their way in the end, except whereas IBO forces through radical reforms that end child soldiery - in WFM nothing changes. Once the Earth firms have been busted out and reabsorbed into space capitalism it's status quo ante.

After all that am I supposed to be happy that Suletta and Miorine are in a passionless marriage where Miorine is off playing space philanthropist, while the rest of the cast is acclimatizing to their space bourgeois duties? gently caress no, dude, this poo poo sucks.

Needed to be gayer.

I don't think I ever claimed they ran out of animation money for a kiss.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Buck Wildman posted:

g gundam is the one that's just a boxing tournament with like Netherlands Gundam and he's just a gundam with a windmill on him right. I should watch that

yep and the racism gets even more epic from there

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol awesome

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the text of g gundam is that the essential nature of an italian is a pizza eating criminal

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

full support for mafia gundam

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

G Gundam rules and all the haters have no idea what the Hell they're talking about. There's probably never ever going to be another one like it.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

G Gundam has like 10 great episodes but they're sprinkled throughout 50 eps of interminably boring tournament shonen, and i say this as somebody who likes tournament shonen. big dumb spectacle has been done so much better... you could watch the Giant Robo OVA if you want to see the G Gundam director with a budget to realize his ambitions, or you could just watch YYH or the original DB if you want to see cool fights in a circular arena made of square tiles

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Neither of those have enough stereotypes though.

Me watching YYH: Tequila Gundam ain't walking through that door!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

The Iraq Gundam is the SCUD GUNDAM and it uses missiles.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Giant Robot is legit fire tho watch it

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

swedish gundam was ahead of its time

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm watching Witch from Mercury now and I like it, which is more than I can say for a lot of Gundam shows. It's dumb and funny and not boring like other Gundams.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

I don't think I ever claimed they ran out of animation money for a kiss.

You really got my gears spinning about the show, because I haven't thought about it that much in the last half year. But the more I think about it the more I hate about the way it presses boundaries without actually transgressing them. Especially compared to Princess Principal, which is IMO Okouchi's other major work and direct comparison to WFM. At the end of Princess Principal it's established that their aim is nothing less than global communism. The princess's objective is to dissolve the monarchy once she ascends to the crown, which would finish the revolution without the need for another destructive revolutionary war. It wouldn't just give full control of the UK and its French territories to the Union government, it'd liberate the colonies and probably set them up with their own communist governments.

Compared to that WFM is a Bernie girl who joins the IDF. I actually like it more now as a work of liberal acquiescence. I can't deny that as First Worlders, quietly accepting our roles within an imperialist system greased with the blood of the wretched of the Earth is what we're all doing anyway. In that regard it's a lot like From the New World. That's why I so desperately want them to make a sequel. There's a genuinely epic story to tell that's unfinished.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Buck Wildman posted:

I haven't actually watched a gundam except war in the pocket and 08th ms team I just like building the models

Watch Doan's Island

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:disney makes anything: gently caress off with this derivative bullshit

:yet another gundam: wow! so true!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Child soldiers = bad

Big robots = cool

You're welcome I just saved you like 90 hours of anime watching