Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nakar posted:

I think a lot of it is people are seeing the preliminary state of the puppets and concluding that they don't function the way people assumed (I guess like Furina's crew?) and instead appear to be mostly stationary. And sure, if the puppets are stationary and have poor range (though again for the C1 tax, I believe it increases their range) that may limit the damage they do, but we don't know right now if the puppets are even supposed to be stationary.

It's probably an overcorrection from the initial numbers showing she just stomps Albedo in damage even at C0. It may be that such is true, but Albedo is much more consistently able to get his damage onto targets, in which case it's probably more balanced than the numbers suggest. But a lot of this is dependent on the assumption that the very jank puppet animations and movement (when pushed by enemies especially) are the final state and not subject to change or just broken on the private test servers, neither of which seems like a wise assumption to be making.

Yeah of all the things to be broken on a hastily put together private server, how the puppets react and move is #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
If that leak that 4.5 is gonna have Neuv is real then it truly is Chiover for me 😔

Theres only 2 characters left that I actively want and he's one of them (Alhaitham is the other). Maybe next time! If they fix her! Or release a construct dps that I want to play!!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

drat it’s not sounding t good for me getting Yae if I want to get c1 Chiori for Navia. Maybe by then some actually good Navia artifacts will drop (please end me)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bagrada posted:

First person pov silent protagonist and everyone else just calls them Traveler.

The entire anime is made in the style of Hardcore Henry.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
The anime is a slice of life starring Fischl, Bennett, and Mona. The Traveler never appears.

Okay actually I would watch the poo poo out of that. Also aside from the specific character selection, the slice of life thing seems decently likely because, again, Honkai Impact 3rd has three separate AU slice of life anime.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Captain France posted:

The anime is a slice of life starring Fischl, Bennett, and Mona. The Traveler never appears.

Okay actually I would watch the poo poo out of that. Also aside from the specific character selection, the slice of life thing seems decently likely because, again, Honkai Impact 3rd has three separate AU slice of life anime.
Great, another team with mandatory Bennett

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Apparently, Gaming is epic, so I risked pulling him and hoping I didnt get Plunge Mother.

I succeeded.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGHm0Gr4wqY
Woah Narzissenkreuz pv also just a ton of Fontaine msq spoilers.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

well, it HAS been nearly 3 months since fontaine wrapped

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Captain France posted:

Personally, I want the romcom starring Kaveh and Alhaitham

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

I think I'm nearly done with the new zone. Really recommend it to anyone who might be a ways behind current stuff since it's all self-contained and lighter-hearted. It's also funny that the Traveler decides really early on to LARP the entire time just to irritate paimon and also decides to just dunk on a kid for absolutely no reason

Captain France posted:

Specifically to LARP as Xingqui.

That's important.

Grandpa Lu asked you to pretend to be someone from the Feiyun Commerce Guild and the list of people we know in it is pretty short.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

halokiller posted:

the anime is shaping up to like the switch version, ie they announced it way too loving early and its not coming out any time soon

Please understand they made a small typo, they meant Switch 2. So it's coming any day now once that releases.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Eimi posted:

Woah Narzissenkreuz pv also just a ton of Fontaine msq spoilers.
That sure had a lot of interesting looking things happening in it. Guess I need to force myself back to the terrible slog of meripode which I think is where the next leg of that whole quest chain is for me, currently.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MoonCrab posted:

If that leak that 4.5 is gonna have Neuv is real then it truly is Chiover for me 😔

Theres only 2 characters left that I actively want and he's one of them (Alhaitham is the other). Maybe next time! If they fix her! Or release a construct dps that I want to play!!

Aw man, guess that's the end of tossing rolls at Nahida's banner for me. Maybe it's for the best I didn't get her yet because I'm sitting on my guarantee and losing another 50/50 would probably make me mald into the center of the earth.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just collect Yae Miko constellations. You know it makes sense.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I have c5 Gaming now, so time to save for basically forever. Until natlan? Maybe.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
OK, I hate to be That Guy and ask a boring "should I pull" question, but I have to be That Guy.

I really, really want Xiao and have 168 wishes saved, 24 pity. I have Welkin pass, but am otherwise F2P. (And FWIW, according to Paimon.moe, I'm in the bottom 17% for luck with pulling 5*s.)

Looking at Xiao's guide at https://keqingmains.com/xiao/, the only characters I have that are good batteries for him are Lynette (C0) and Faruzan (C0). The only support character I have is Bennett (C2), and the only flex characters I have are Furina (C0), Fischl (C0), and Xiangling (C4).

I've also been thinking of getting Ningguang during Lantern Rite, since I have no other Geo characters besides Noelle.

My questions:

1) Is Xianyun that good of a partner with Xiao that I should risk spending 66 wishes (to reach 90 pity) to pull her, leaving me only 102+ wishes to guarantee Xiao? (I am in AGONY over this dilemma! According to this spreadsheet, 168 wishes gives me over a 99% chance of pulling Xiao, but dropping to 102 wishes drops me to less than 65%. But what's the use in pulling Xiao if I don't have a good team to build around him??? :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:)

2) Is Ningguang a decent shielder for Xiao?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I cant answer whether to pull or not - you know the odds. Ningguang isn't a functional shielder for Xiao though - you'd want to use at least diona or kirara for that purpose (ideally zhongli ofc) who are bound to show up sooner or later.

Xiao's best team imo is Furina, Faruzan, and Xianyun (and as of this week its by far his most popular team) - I felt ok without a shielder in this abyss. Xianyun has a lot of benefits over bennett especially with furina and especially with a c0 faruzan who needs a lot of help with energy recharging. But some people have played Xiao without Xianyun for a long time and I do think out of Furina, Faruzan, and Xianyun she's just barely the least important.

If you log in every day and do the event quests you should just have enough wishes to trigger one pity on xianyun and two on xiao even assuming 80 wishes for each pity, (if 168 is the number of wishes you currently have in your possession, rather than a projection of how many you'll have at end of patch). The way pity works is from roll 74 and onwards you have a 33% chance to hit a 5 star and the odds jump a ton in the low-mid 80s so you never actually get all the way to 90.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 5, 2024

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Don't forget that Xianyun will probably have a rerun much sooner than Xiao. If you want Xiao then save as many primos as it takes to guarantee him first, imo.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 5, 2024

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

To me it would boil down to:
- Would you play Xiao without Xianyun? Many have! He's fun and fine!
- Would you use Xianyun without Xiao? You could, and her burst makes anyone a babyXiao. But it's not Xiao.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninguang really isnt a shielder

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
She’s an icon

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Ningguang isn't a great pick, especially as she will be in the glitter shop in March so you can snag her then. And geo in general is not an element that is particularly useful (I say this as an Itto main lol) as any overworld puzzle that uses it will be designed for geo traveler. Who you should pick will vary depending on your account, but general consensus is Xingqiu, Xiangling if she's at C3 since C4 is a big boost, Gaming if you want a pretty good on field pyro, Beidou, and Yaoyao (only if you don't have her)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for holding my hand, you guys. :kiddo:

I'm going to forgo Ningguang in favor of Gaming's C1. And I'm going work my butt off to earn as many primos as possible until the very last day of Xianyun's banner, when I can then better gauge how many wishes I'm willing to spare from Xiao's allotment.

Because, as God as my witness, I will be getting Xiao. I...I just love that little guy. :3:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
nota bene that a lot of the Faruzan stuff really wants/assumes c6 Faruzan, from what I've seen

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

Thank you for holding my hand, you guys. :kiddo:

I'm going to forgo Ningguang in favor of Gaming's C1. And I'm going work my butt off to earn as many primos as possible until the very last day of Xianyun's banner, when I can then better gauge how many wishes I'm willing to spare from Xiao's allotment.

Because, as God as my witness, I will be getting Xiao. I...I just love that little guy. :3:

Forewarning: I am not an expert, I am on the Memento photograph saying 'Don't believe his lies' buuuuut

If you want to use a shielder for Xiao, pick someone who straight up makes shields with their skill like Diona, Layla, Zhongli, Kirara or even Xinyan if you have to. I don't know what your team's elemental coverage looks like so I don't know how well they could generate shields with a geo character or not. Also in my experience, Diona generates a ton of particles to keep her burst recharging quickly which will help a lot in keeping Xiao from dying while using his own burst, but also my Diona is C6 so I can't really compare the difference to any lower constellations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Leraika posted:

nota bene that a lot of the Faruzan stuff really wants/assumes c6 Faruzan, from what I've seen
Her ER troubles are very reduced in a 3 anemo team in any case. You straight up have to run her or zhongli in a xiao team no matter what your situation is though, doesnt really matter where her constellations are, even if it means you have to do the stupid charged shot (yes I would probably take zhongli over <C6 faruzan).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 5, 2024

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, I have Layla. She's sitting at Level 1 with no artifacts or weapons, but I do have her!

Besides Noelle (and I guess Layla), the only other shielder I have is Thoma, but I don't like how his shield doesn't last as long (time-wise) as Noelle's. I main Neuvillette C0, and he needs a shield to keep his charge from getting interrupted

(Oh, that reminds me: as God as my witness, I MUST get Neuvillette's C1, and isn't he supposed to be on the next patch's banner? Which means I can't spend all my wishes on Xiao. gently caress! Xianyun, ma'am, I'll catch you next time.)

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

Layla is a pretty good shielder, her shield uptime matches her skill cool down so it's easy to keep it up. I ran her with Neuvillette in my friendship team and it worked really well.

Pull for who you like of course, but for a newer account, it's more useful to have a new character than a C1. Neuvi is amazing, but he functions perfectly fine as a mob deleter at C0. I'd argue that you're only going to get your primos worth if you're going for 36 * abyss, his cons are completely unnecessary in any other content.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ha, I started a second account last month (because I wanted to actually pay attention to the Mondstadt and Liyue lore this time....and, okay, yes, hang out with Zhongli again). That account is stuck around AR 42 and every overworld enemy is at least 20 levels higher than anyone in my party and it's a goddamn chore to kill any boss, even the regisvines, and of course my artifacts are poo poo because I can't farm for them yet.

And I'm sitting there going, Jesus, I don't remember it being this hard when I started my main account. This is such a pain in the rear end. {Insert 20 minute boss fight} Wow, this is so frustrating, I know I would have stopped playing if it had been like this the first time around. How come it was so easy before?

...Ohhhhhhhhhh that's right, I got :krakken: a couple weeks into the game. He makes everyone bow before him. Sovereign dragon lord of my heart ehe

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

Ha, I started a second account last month (because I wanted to actually pay attention to the Mondstadt and Liyue lore this time....and, okay, yes, hang out with Zhongli again). That account is stuck around AR 42 and every overworld enemy is at least 20 levels higher than anyone in my party and it's a goddamn chore to kill any boss, even the regisvines, and of course my artifacts are poo poo because I can't farm for them yet.

And I'm sitting there going, Jesus, I don't remember it being this hard when I started my main account. This is such a pain in the rear end. {Insert 20 minute boss fight} Wow, this is so frustrating, I know I would have stopped playing if it had been like this the first time around. How come it was so easy before?

...Ohhhhhhhhhh that's right, I got :krakken: a couple weeks into the game. He makes everyone bow before him. Sovereign dragon lord of my heart ehe

https://enka.network/

Share your second account's mainstay characters, I'm curious how everyone's outfitted. I was playing the game as it was being updated back in 2020 with no idea what I was doing and unable to get any new characters so my main problem was fighting anything with physical resistance with Razor.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm at AR39 in inazuma with a party of 60s with 60 weapons and 6* blue artifacts. Things got so much easier as they came together - my shiny new Nahida, Xingqiu, Bennett and lightning MC. Gonna take MC to 70 tonight but the rest will require some farming. Before getting Nahida things were painful outside of Yelan's burst. Had to drop Yelan as she's stuck at 40 until I go find a ruin snake.

I assume I'll need to get all of my team to 70 if AR40 ups my world level.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

bagrada posted:

I'm at AR39 in inazuma with a party of 60s with 60 weapons and 6* blue artifacts. Things got so much easier as they came together - my shiny new Nahida, Xingqiu, Bennett and lightning MC. Gonna take MC to 70 tonight but the rest will require some farming. Before getting Nahida things were painful outside of Yelan's burst. Had to drop Yelan as she's stuck at 40 until I go find a ruin snake.

Artifacts begin being the main factor for how good your team is, with weapons and talents being easy things that give permanent gains. Genshin Impact will give big red warnings if your character level average is significantly below what the level of enemies will be, but focus primarily on whomever is on-screen first. Level was certainly a thing that mattered between levels 1-40, but many guides will recommend against leveling characters above 81 or so because of diminishing returns (I still do it because it's a small permanent gain that doesn't depend upon gambling).

You can always take it back down to AR 35's World level if AR 40's World level gets too scary.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've been playing since launch have ten characters at level 89 forty at level 85 and twenty five at level 80. And I STILL get the underleveled warning.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I only have a C0 Chevreuse but I can't tell if this overload team is good because of her buff or because it's 3/4 five star characters Fischl/Raiden, Xiangling, Bennet, Chevreuse

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

bagrada posted:

The "don't farm artifacts until AR 45" or whatever rule is silly imo. Like, don't dump all of your fragile resin into artifact domains before you can guarantee golds, fine. But if there are 1-3 days in the week that you aren't running talent or weapon domains? Use that daily resin on artifacts! At level 60 you absolutely want your main damage dealer on purple stuff at least, this is around the point where artifact levels will start to outperform your character levels. Mulching your blues into purples is a better investment than going 60->70.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not a silly rule. Newer accounts should use the pieces they get off of world bosses. Artifact domains pre-45 are terrible, you have 33% odds to see a gold piece and in three months every purple piece will have zero value. At AR45 you have 100% odds to see a gold piece.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 6, 2024

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Rabbit Hill posted:

1) Is Xianyun that good of a partner with Xiao that I should risk spending 66 wishes (to reach 90 pity) to pull her, leaving me only 102+ wishes to guarantee Xiao? (I am in AGONY over this dilemma! According to this spreadsheet, 168 wishes gives me over a 99% chance of pulling Xiao, but dropping to 102 wishes drops me to less than 65%. But what's the use in pulling Xiao if I don't have a good team to build around him??? :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:)

2) Is Ningguang a decent shielder for Xiao?

Disclaimer: If he's your favorite anime go pull Xiao. I'm just basically reposting what I've said before and it's based entirely on utilitarian abyss usage with a nicely geared C0 Xiao.

1. You do not need Xianyun for Xiao. That's not saying that Xianyun is bad for Xiao, just that her unique ability to turn everyone into a plunge attacker doesn't particularly benefit him. She's good but if you just want to play Xiao and have to pick... welp, there ya go.
2. No

Xiao absolutely shits damage in an aoe and his burst numbers are insanely high to compensate for being anemo. The downside of this is that for the very long 15s duration you have limited field visibility and anything that isn't just looping your combo sucks. You will eat any attack and every ground effect and you won't even see them coming. You'll always be unshielded for the last little bit of your burst and all you can do is pray.

It shakes down to being Xiao+Zhongli with an anemo energy generator and a healer. Obvious picks are Faruzan and (now) Xianyun, and that is a four-person team that is designed specifically for Xiao. People have used him for years without them, though, and Xiao/Sucrose/Zhongli/Bennet was definitely a thing that I used. The main thing is that there's no replacement for ZL, which is always the case when you need shield immunity.

Obviously there's exceptions with dickish bosses, but those always suck for one team or another so it's not really worth covering. You'll also need to commit the high plunge height and combo timing to muscle memory, though that's no different from any other carry.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

I just don't see spending 1-2 days a week on purples that will be eventually mulched into golds as a waste. A lv 16 purple will get you to lv 13 or 14 on a gold, so you're not losing much. For someone playing optimal comps/rotations then yeah waiting to 45 is probably the "smart" move. But speaking as someone who is poo poo at mechanics, I'd rather be making incremental progress towards getting stronger characters than struggle against every elite mob and ascension boss I run into for 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

She giga buffs his damage for 8 hits. Like 50% more damage per hit. I agree that if you want to play Xiao the most important character to own is Xiao but I don't want to undersell the bird too much.