Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

fridge corn posted:

This means I might actually get to play pentiment!

apparently jeff grubb is saying both Pentiment and Gears of War are being considered lol

i kinda wanna play through the gears trilogy again tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

There's only one person who can save XBox now:

Put The Rock on the board, have him pin Phil. That'll stop the bad press!

Rocks already got his own bad press going on rn.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Will be a shame if MS gets out of the hardware market, competition is good!

In my quest to avoid returning to PC gaming I own both a PS5 and a Series X and love em both, for differing reasons. Aside from Gamepass, Xbox is great for their smooth cloud integration, quick resume and maybe most important to me, extensive backwards compatibility. There’s no indication Sony will ever prioritize or improve this stuff, so it’ll be a bummer if the Xbox hardware goes away

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Skeezy posted:

Rocks already got his own bad press going on rn.

What is that about anyway? My friend posted a tweet in a group chat that sounded like word salad nonsense to anyone not deeply invested in wrestling

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. That would kind of suck from a competition standpoint. It's nice for Sony to have someone riding their rear end at least.

To be honest, since 2013, Xbox has never even sniffed Sony in terms of game quality.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm not sure how much competition xbox has been recently anyway

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

There can only ever be three main consoles so actually it was the steam deck that killed xbox

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
phil shadowdropping blue dragon and lost odyssey next week

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

If Xbox is gonna be a third-party publisher now, let Sony use the rights for Halo so we get a proper Halo game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I don't mean that. I mean having competition in terms of having something to keep them actually trying to keep customers around.

I admittedly don't keep up with Microsoft or console war business news but it hasn't felt for some time like Sony really cares at the moment about Xbox anyway. Not sure what the official death of Xbox would change.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lobok posted:

I admittedly don't keep up with Microsoft or console war business news but it hasn't felt for some time like Sony really cares at the moment about Xbox anyway. Not sure what the official death of Xbox would change.

I think it's pretty clear that Game Pass spooked Sony into beefing up the PS+ offering and bringing its first-party big guns to it. You got to play Horizon Forbidden West and Spider-Man and all the other stuff on there (though with a year's delay).

But then also last year Sony was not so spooked anymore and made PS+ much less attractive.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Shammypants posted:

They have that in the form of shareholders, which matters more to Sony than what Microsoft is doing anyway

This might come as a shock but the profit motive alone can incentivize abusive and extractive business practices if competition isn't there to counterbalance. Obvious example, it's hard to imagine Sony taking PS5 BC as seriously if MS wasn't there to catch anyone they might have alienated in the jump to a new generation. Sony letting me play my PS4 games on my PS5 meant I barely even considered buying an Xbox as my primary console, and I'm sure that was the idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

There is no way the current (somewhat half-assed) attempt at PS+/Extra/Super Mega Turbo Custom Edition wasn't informed by Gamepass. They also had an extremely high profile legal case last year about Microsoft buying Activision and the risk that posed to Sony.

Edit: Which, if the rumors are true, is *hilarious* in retrospect.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 5, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Shammypants posted:

What is that about anyway? My friend posted a tweet in a group chat that sounded like word salad nonsense to anyone not deeply invested in wrestling

Way too involved to get into here. Check the Vince McMahon thread in PSP if you want the details. But basically, The Rock is swooping in and seizing power as Vince and his cronies are getting exposed and ousted as serial sexual abusers (to put it lightly) and enablers.

Part of that deal is taking the main event match at Wrestlemania against Roman Reigns, which has people dumb enough to still be watching WWE mad. The sexual abuse didn't get them angry, but The Rock getting the big match instead of Cody has them upset on the internet.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Sleng Teng posted:

anybody have an lg c1 and notice that the ps5 wakeup messes up sometimes?

basically if I start the tv and the tv starts the console I'm good, but if I do it the other way around there's something like a 10% chance the picture and sound doesn't load until I turn the console off and back on. seems to replicate across all cables I've got but not with any other tvs.

then again I have weird poo poo that happens with this tv and the series x sometimes (it starts up in dev safe boot now and again) so maybe this tv is cursed in very minor but annoying ways. great device otherwise.

Turn off Quick Start +

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sentinel Red posted:

All this stuff about the Xbox Series dying on its arse kind of blows my mind. I knew it wasn’t doing as well as the PS5 but still figured it would be doing well enough. I very nearly bought one a couple of months back when it had those insane 130 off discounts but held off because out of all the consoles I’ve owned, the Xbox ones were the only ones to fail on me. The OG died, the Elite 360 died, the 360 Slim I got to replace it died. After that, and the horrendous Xbox One fiasco, I went PS only and never really regretted it. Other than Hi-Fi Rush and Hellblade II, I’m struggling to think of any exclusives since then I remotely cared enough about to risk buying another.

Look at it this way, MS has been heavily massaging the sales reputation of the Series X for years at this point (admittedly a great piece of hardware that they simply have no way of scaling up production on), by condensing their console sales stats into a single category, "Series X/S". Now, if the hardware category of Series X/S has been doing total numbers that are half that of PS5, and the Series X itself accounts for 25% of total Series X/S category sales...what does that say about how much market penetration their flagship hardware has? Compound this with Spencer admitting that at one point last year they were losing up to $200 on every Series S sold at retail, a calculation they deemed worth the risk to get each new gamepass subscriber into the ecosystem. It's wild. Within that picture the Series X is a dead console, and the Series S is a good gamepass wedge but has essentially foreclosed upon any physical retail numbers they might bring in otherwise. The Series X/S design split was a gamble that successfully salvaged the Xbox brand reputation while severely limiting their hardware sales horizon, hence the focus on gamepass.

By the time the Redfall debacle went down Spencer was being historically candid about the MS hardware strategy being irrevocably hosed, but for good reason they want to keep that gamepass ecosystem alive, so the ABK purchase they slammed through was somewhat less about having all the big studios under their belt for whatever future console exclusives and more about adding a shitload of King's userdata and mobile infrastructure to future publishing ecosystem plans, which probably include at the very least a competitive digital storefront to grab a slice of the Steam/Epic pie, and very likely some kind of licensed Switch/ROG/Steamdeck-esque devices down the road. Essentially, in the last 18 months they pivoted their entire service model away from traditional home consoles and to a digital services paradigm more in line with the strengths of the rest of the company, and more in line with their cloud services infrastructure. In the long term it means their gaming brand may actually do quite well as the market adapts to an escalating full-digital and live-services model (sort of a bumpy road at this downturn moment in the industry; however, consider the climate-change future where Sony has difficulty maintaining their traditional console delivery schedule specifically because of shifting manufacturing and shipping logistics), but in the short term it means the Series X/S is dead and buried.

univbee posted:

Talking about Xbox in the PlayStation thread.

Talking about PlayStation in the Xbox thread.

I love this forum.

lol

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

JBP posted:

The Xbox brand is and always will be evocative of Limp Bizkit hate to say it

Except Limp Bizkit was able to make a financially successful comeback

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
I’m not gonna lie I’ve been with Sony since the beginning and with Xbox since the beginning. I have a real fondness for the OG Xbox and it will 100% upset me to see Halo on playstation

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think it's pretty clear that Game Pass spooked Sony into beefing up the PS+ offering and bringing its first-party big guns to it. You got to play Horizon Forbidden West and Spider-Man and all the other stuff on there (though with a year's delay).

But then also last year Sony was not so spooked anymore and made PS+ much less attractive.

They beefed up the offering? Didn't they beef up the price as well? I don't know if that's being spooked or inspired.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think all this just goes to show how prescient this video was and how it remains relevant commentary to this very day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyufDxxWIsM

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ImpAtom posted:

I've been well out of the news for a while due to RL stuff, what's going on with X-Box?

Bobby Kotick cast Last Laugh on his pan flute and they died.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

hey mom its 420 posted:

I think all this just goes to show how prescient this video was and how it remains relevant commentary to this very day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyufDxxWIsM

I still can't believe this poo poo is all happening.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Lobok posted:

They beefed up the offering? Didn't they beef up the price as well? I don't know if that's being spooked or inspired.

The price of gamepass and ps+ went up but Microsoft just threw more money into a fire pit and Sony asked customers for more subscription fees.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

What forum is that? I want entertainment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

What forum is that? I want entertainment.

Resetera, home of the dumbest motherfuckers on the internet. This place is a close second. If I didn't have games to play I'd have spent the entire night laughing at posts on there because I bet people are being incredibly well adjusted about it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

90sgamer posted:

I’m not gonna lie I’ve been with Sony since the beginning and with Xbox since the beginning. I have a real fondness for the OG Xbox and it will 100% upset me to see Halo on playstation

Why, they might give it to Bungie and make an actually good one again

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

njsykora posted:

Resetera, home of the dumbest motherfuckers on the internet. This place is a close second. If I didn't have games to play I'd have spent the entire night laughing at posts on there because I bet people are being incredibly well adjusted about it.

Thank you..for this information.

Brb, gonna go laugh manically at all the meltdowns :lol:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

What if I want Sony to comb my hair all day

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

There's a username/post combo if ever I saw one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Resetera, home of the dumbest motherfuckers on the internet. This place is a close second.

So so jealous of this poster that has never heard of reddit

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
ResetEra sold for $4.5 million. lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is resetera the one that spun off from neogaf during some great schism or is it the other way around

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Resetera is the funniest forum online and I’m tired of pretending it’s not.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

why’s that guy concerned about Sony combing his hair when he’s obviously malding

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Now is the perfect time for Sega to get back in the hardware business.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Vikar Jerome posted:

His charisma is a dump stat. what are you talking about lol every time he comes out stage hes a vacuum, yet for aome reason people try holding him up as if hes iwata or something, completely ignoring his activ deal emails showing how clueless he is. He's a corpo drone and every time i see someone spout some "ms is pro consumer" poo poo i think back to when they used to (...and still do) have actual paid empoyees signing up on internet forums. Got one banned (another forum, you wouldnt know it) once after he was dming me all kinds poo poo after a flame war over me deciding to crack my win7 install cos ms decided to ban the key after 3 years of use.

Anyway lol @ m$/xbosux

LOL I don't disagree with your assessment of him as a corpo, but he did cultivate a small, but rabid fanbase for the brand, as well as talked MS into letting him spend over $80+ billion on the most expensive hail mary play in history of gaming (Zenimax and ABK). That takes some talent.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sony not only combs my hair but also blow drys it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I owned a Series X until a few months ago. I got it because I saw the STALKER 2 announcement trailer and that was an Xbox exclusive at the time. I played through a few games with it, like Halo Infinite and Starfield, but mostly it didn't get much use in between those big games, and after I finished Starfield, I noticed the system wasn't getting any use again, so I sold it. I have way more time and money invested in the PlayStation ecosystem anyway.

I thought Starfield was good, not great. I played like 90 hours of it and saw a lot of what there was to see in it. I did a bunch of the side stuff, beat the main story more than once, etc. It wasn't my favorite game I played last year, but it was fun. I'd recommend it, but if you have games to play that you've really been looking forward to, play those first.

I hope this news about Xbox games coming to PS5 includes STALKER 2, even if it's an Xbox exclusive for a while and then comes to PS5 later. That's still one of my most anticipated games in years since I love the first one so much. Hellblade 2 looks neat, too, so I hope that comes to PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is resetera the one that spun off from neogaf during some great schism or is it the other way around

Correct. One of the head NeoGAF mods had done some sexual assault at conventions and there was a whole "mods knew" scandal. Resetera was spun up quickly with something like half the GAF userbase jumping ship, many posting banmes on their way out the door.