Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

That Works posted:

Does anyone else think the guy is probably just doing this as a bit to take advantage of the viral fervor over the other cyber truck videos?

worth every penny if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tip Shades posted:

The technical term is "power bottom."

:arghfist:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

This is, of course, between the dozens of posts about immigrants he makes every hour

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

why do so many EV makers put the plug in the back like it was a loving gas tank and force regular people to have to wait for EV drivers to poorly reverse into their charging spot?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Now's probably a great time for everyone to listen to the Behind The Bastards two-parter on the Cult of AI, because the second part in particular delves into why poo poo like what this dillhole is proposing is doomed to fail in about a million different and uniquely terrible ways:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-tech-bros-have-built-146544960/
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-two-tech-bros-have-built-147032788/

Basically what this moron is suggesting is a news version of Nothing, Forever, the AI-powered infinite Seinfeld episode and then very quickly faded into irrelevance because Large Language Model-based generative AIs don't have the capacity to be funny or independently creative, so it just gets boring as poo poo very quickly. So what I'm saying is that it's absolutely perfect for chuds like that with no media literacy to keep them occupied and complacent. It's Cocomelon for adult-shaped assholes.

yeah. these clowns want a giant sapient Skynet mommy god who will do everything for them and justify all their awful beliefs, the problem is this isnt sci-fi and AI doesnt work that way. also yeah all the AI generated poo poo isnt that funny. these idiots don't get what makes stuff like AI voice stuff funny is that a person writes and rewrites the dialogue to make it work and then have the program redo the read a billion times to make it sound funny. but these morons just say "uhh actually AI did all the steps" or some poo poo.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

This is, of course, between the dozens of posts about immigrants he makes every hour

:jerkbag:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

WhyteRyce posted:

why do so many EV makers put the plug in the back like it was a loving gas tank and force regular people to have to wait for EV drivers to poorly reverse into their charging spot?

Every car fills up usually from the back too, so convention.
Saves costs on redesigning the car shape and innards.
Seeing most crashes are from the front, having the battery up front opens it up to more chance of it exploding or going on fire if it breaches.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
e: sounds like chargers should have longer cords

kazil posted:

isnt this a repeat?

also im pretty sure most news papers dont have a 44 billion dollar hole or probably had ad and other revenue streams and order of mantitude greater than musk's birdsite

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rupert Murdoch is pink with rage at Musk's memeing.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OK I'm possibly missing something obvious, but what is meant by the blue teapot and briefcase emoticons?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Pookah posted:

OK I'm possibly missing something obvious, but what is meant by the blue teapot and briefcase emoticons?

tea + bag

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
WSJ subscribers - 3.7 million
X blue check subscribers - too ashamed to publish but estimated between 615,000 and 650,000

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

aren't they still doing sub 100 sign ups per month?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

kazil posted:

tea + bag

Ugh, I should have known, he's so dull.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Pookah posted:

Ugh, I should have known, he's so dull.

It took me a moment as well, but I'm happier with my original interpretation.

Kettle Sack.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

I just assumed the device is a bit poo poo and requires expansive gestures. But closing the door is simple

Funnily enough the expansive gestures from the video probably wouldn't work very well. It uses eye tracking to determine what is clicked if you pinch your fingers, not where they are spatially. According to the verge review I watched at least it seems akin to your eyes moving a mouse pointer with your fingers clicking. A lot of the time your hand is resting stationary on a desk in front of you.

However they also said that new users don't really realise that and might try using arm movement, kind of like when people try to steer in a racing game by tilting their controller. I still feel it's more likely he's hamming it up for the camera but I guess there's a slight chance of someone overcompensating without realising that they need to be looking right at what they're manipulating.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: you won't be surprised to hear this guy sounds like a massive piece of poo poo

shyduck fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 5, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

End your marriage on the grounds of your husband's mental incompetence

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

temple posted:

Buying a tv network or show is the typical rich guy stunt that backfires and makes everyone realize how uncool they are. It's usually TV, politics, and/or music. Buying twitter is a lateral move from TV.

Yeah but when DJT aimed for a TV channel, he landed in the Oval Office.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

kazil posted:

Goddammit, he and his sycophants use this image at least once a month. Not only is their posting so lovely, it's so repetitive.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Further Reading posted:

Funnily enough the expansive gestures from the video probably wouldn't work very well. It uses eye tracking to determine what is clicked if you pinch your fingers, not where they are spatially. According to the verge review I watched at least it seems akin to your eyes moving a mouse pointer with your fingers clicking. A lot of the time your hand is resting stationary on a desk in front of you.

However they also said that new users don't really realise that and might try using arm movement, kind of like when people try to steer in a racing game by tilting their controller. I still feel it's more likely he's hamming it up for the camera but I guess there's a slight chance of someone overcompensating without realising that they need to be looking right at what they're manipulating.

I used a HoloLens for work and I can 100% guarantee those types of frantic sweeping gestures would do gently caress all except make you look like you’re pretending to be Tony Stark interfacing with holograms, except that’s fiction and instead you look like a huge dweeb.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

shyduck posted:

edit: you won't be surprised to hear this guy sounds like a massive piece of poo poo

The correct answer is to stick both their heads in the guillotine and watch them explode into a shower of coins for redistribution

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Does the cubertruck even have car seat anchors?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Goddammit, he and his sycophants use this image at least once a month. Not only is their posting so lovely, it's so repetitive.

It's because they have absolutely no sense of humor. This is a good joke for them, because it has previous been established as A Joke. They know it is A Joke, and can feel smart and funny for recognising it.

They cannot recognise actual humor at all, so unfamiliar material that makes an original joke, or retells an old joke in a new and clever way is completely incomprehensible to them.

It's me, I am the bore who explained the terrible joke.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Woops ignore me.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Pookah posted:

It's me, I am the bore who explained the terrible joke.

A rare miss from the bee

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Probably because people don't tend to use hashtags like on twitter

lmao it acts like it's gonna show the url the link goes to but then just doesn't show it. it shows a few characters past the domain name as a teaser.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So he's been excited for the cybertruck the whole time she dated him? Did he knock her up or something? Because goddamn why else would you rush to tie the knot with that? poo poo, even without musk, this guy is spending stupid money on toy cars while his wife scrimps and saves without any fun money.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

shyduck posted:

i know a guy like this. his wife has been complaining to mrs mammal nonstop recently. dude picked up a custom plate a few years ago that said “cyberrrr” because he was so stoked for this garbage. she hasn’t let him actually pull the trigger yet on the real deal and that’s destroying their marriage

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

lmao it acts like it's gonna show the url the link goes to but then just doesn't show it. it shows a few characters past the domain name as a teaser.
Looks like it shortens it for display just like SA does when you paste a very long url. The link works fine of course.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kazil posted:

WSJ has the opportunity to so something funny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Platystemon posted:

WSJ has the opportunity to so something funny.

TECHNOLOGY: Weird Social Media Website Owner Likes and Shares Picture Of A Dog's Scrotum For Some Reason

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
A while back, somebody posted about a book about Elon and his overall incompetence, and how he got started regarding the Emerald mine, how he got started at PayPal and how he’s effed up at Tesla.

Anybody remember the name of the book?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

lol is someone on Reddit trying to equate spending money on hair coloring and hair cuts with buying a loving cybertruck

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

nine-gear crow posted:

TECHNOLOGY: Weird Social Media Website Owner Likes and Shares Picture Of A Dog's Scrotum For Some Reason

Thread title imo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WhyteRyce posted:

lol is someone on Reddit trying to equate spending money on hair coloring and hair cuts with buying a loving cybertruck

You've never spent $100,000+ on your hair?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kazil posted:

A rare miss from the bee

:barf:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WhyteRyce posted:

I could be wrong (it is reddit) but I think OP was explaining how they're doing everything they can to scrimp and save for practical things while their SO is going to buy a cybertruck.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Sexual Aluminum posted:

A while back, somebody posted about a book about Elon and his overall incompetence, and how he got started regarding the Emerald mine, how he got started at PayPal and how he’s effed up at Tesla.

Anybody remember the name of the book?

Might be this one, but it focuses more on just Tesla lies:

https://www.powells.com/book/ludicrous-the-unvarnished-story-of-tesla-motors-9781950665655

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What about Threads?

Threads: lame but they got 100 million users right from the start, if it doesn't work here... main problem is they're in love with "THE ALGORITHM" which is great to keep people addicted, but not so great at showing breaking news (is there even a "latest posts" timeline view?)

the impression i get is that a lot of news agencies and government organizations etc who would put stuff out on twitter made accounts on Threads back when it was first launched and wrote up an initial post or two and then pretty much abandoned it afterwardd

i've used it a bit more than the other replacements because there are a fair number of musicians on there and i've seen a few interesting conversations but overall, it still pretty much sucks andt there are way too many people talking with Expert/Influencer language compared to regular people talking just about daily life or current events