Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm told Ocean Fishing is the fastest way to level up Fisher so i went on it a little while ago and uh...i don't know what's going on? But i got a ton of levels out of it even if i feel like i didn't contribute much to the score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
You can and should ask what the recommended bait is, someone will almost certainly know. Other than that, toss that line in and have fun.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

limp dick calvin posted:

You can sit while fishing?!

Sitting has interesting interplay with fishing.

When catching most fish, you'll stay seated. When catching "special" fish, you'll stand up - however, you only stand up if you have actually caught the fish - not if it has gotten away.

So when going after big fish, it's great to use as an immediate indicator of if you've actually hooked the fish. There are some slippery fish out there, and if you're standing, you'll go through the same animation every hook and then get the disappointment of "the fish got away."

Thus, I choose to sit when chasing big fish to save myself grief. If my character remains seated after I press hook, I know that the fish is getting away and don't have to wait through the animation to find out.

Again, seating during ocean fishing is bad news though because of the animation time of standing/sitting after every bite.

limp dick calvin posted:

You can and should ask what the recommended bait is, someone will almost certainly know. Other than that, toss that line in and have fun.

I wrote up a bunch about oceanfishing, if you want to get a deeper understanding for it.

Alternatively, if you're just there for fun and not chasing high scores -

limp dick calvin posted:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't sit while Big Fishing just so I can have the thrill of actually reeling it in instead of getting baited (har har) by the !!!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I forget, you generally can't double/triple hook blue ocean fish right?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Correct. Basically think of blue-background ocean fish ("fabled fish") as the equivalent of green-background non-ocean fish. They just made it confusing because of spectrals and stuff

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thundarr posted:

Correct.

For Ocean fishing, you can double/triple hook:
- Regular normal current fish
- Regular spectral current fish

You cannot double/triple hook:
- The spectral-triggering fish
- The normal current intuition fish
- The spectral current intuition fish

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ahh, this is why we saved the universe.

Look at them, just living in the moment, not a tomestone in sight until we get +5 for returning to shore.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Correct.

For Ocean fishing, you can double/triple hook:
- Regular normal current fish
- Regular spectral current fish

You cannot double/triple hook:
- The spectral-triggering fish
- The normal current intuition fish
- The spectral current intuition fish

Yep that's what I thought. The upcoming route has the possibility of both Sothis and Stonescale (I expect tears) so the only real points opportunity will be the incredibly meh mythril sovereign..

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

limp dick calvin posted:

Easier, and more effective, to just have the Ocean Fishing site opened when fishing.

You don't always want to have a spectral current after all, often it's better to skip one to make the next longer. And sometime you may need to catch an 'off-bait' fish to hit a bonus quota.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 6, 2024

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Ibblebibble posted:

I don't sit while Big Fishing just so I can have the thrill of actually reeling it in instead of getting baited (har har) by the !!!

But if you sit and catch a !!! you'll stand up while you reel it in

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This guide got me 10k on my very first ocean fishing trip. :toot:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thundarr posted:

Yep that's what I thought. The upcoming route has the possibility of both Sothis and Stonescale (I expect tears) so the only real points opportunity will be the incredibly meh mythril sovereign..

Trip report:

Sothis escaped, second intuition interrupted by spectral ending
One (1) Mythril Sovereign appeared at the very end of spectral, so no triple hook combo could be used.
Ghost Barracuda didn't bite until 40 seconds remaining, so Gladius didn't bite until 30 seconds remaining. Little Leviathan escapes again.
One Stonescale intuition window, no bite.
All missions completed + 3 spectrals so I still got 10k points.

Standard ocean fishing trip!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Wait, you can only get the 10k ocean fishing mount on Indigo?

:negative:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Thundarr posted:

All missions completed + 3 spectrals so I still got 10k points.

Standard ocean fishing trip!

Chasing blues are fun, but also maddening at times. I still need Placodus.

That being said, when I was chasing the 3mil cumulative achievement, my view was any run that got me 10k points was a good run.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

leaptosleep posted:

But if you sit and catch a !!! you'll stand up while you reel it in

Yeah I don't want that, I gotta feel the thrill of not knowing if the !!! will actually reel in or not. Go big or go home!!!!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

quiggy posted:

Wait, you can only get the 10k ocean fishing mount on Indigo?

:negative:

The 10k mount is Indigo, but there's a minion for 10k Ruby

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, I have a weird request for the glamor experts here: what do you think would be the best way to dress like Quark from Deep Space Nine?

I'm trying to feel out possible ways to revamp my character for Dawntrail, and I think a solid angle is to lean into the fact she's an Ul'dahn merchant. And I think if I"m doing that, I'm looking at evoking DS9 Ferengi.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hmm. Looking for it to fit a specific job, flex to the outfit's requirements, or needs to be job agnostic?

Edit: If there's something out there that's a properly patchwork top I don't know about it. Looking through my armoire for at least about the right cut the Scion Adventurer's Jacket could work. The Alpine Coat is probably too poofy but the pattern and the way it dyes can make for a nice layered busy effect in lieu of Quark's actual patchwork. Nothing that really says "that's Quark" without needing to tell people though.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 6, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Okay, I have a weird request for the glamor experts here: what do you think would be the best way to dress like Quark from Deep Space Nine?

I'm trying to feel out possible ways to revamp my character for Dawntrail, and I think a solid angle is to lean into the fact she's an Ul'dahn merchant. And I think if I"m doing that, I'm looking at evoking DS9 Ferengi.

The various 1-50 Gown items fit the general Ferengi shape design the best, although they lack a lot of flashy adornments. I think your best bet would be coordinating around the Kupo Jacket, since it's close to the same style but with the kind of filigree you'd want, and it pairs well with either fancy leggings (e.g. Taoist Slops) or more traditional pants like the Lawless Enforcer Slacks. You'll necessarily have to get a bit creative, since the distinguishing feature of Quark's outfit - lots of multicolored fabrics and gaudy wallpaper-esque patterning - isn't something that you see a lot of with FFXIV outfits, so just aiming for the general idea of "business suit but weird" is a better strategy.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

You could just change into a FF14 ferengi, also known as lalafell

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Speaking of glams, I'm looking for some inspiration for a Warrior Glam using the Mandervillous Battleaxe, if anyone has anything to share.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Speaking of glams, I'm looking for some inspiration for a Warrior Glam using the Mandervillous Battleaxe, if anyone has anything to share.

I've been focused on low lavels so I haven't gotten enough tomes to do more than my Bard yet, but my plan is to start with the Sable Death Mask and see if I can get something to come together. Maybe the Proto-Ultima chest as well? Depends if you want to lean into the tech-glow.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I've been focused on low lavels so I haven't gotten enough tomes to do more than my Bard yet, but my plan is to start with the Sable Death Mask and see if I can get something to come together. Maybe the Proto-Ultima chest as well? Depends if you want to lean into the tech-glow.

It's not my first thought, but if I can put together something neat with it, I'm game.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Mordiceius posted:

Again, seating during ocean fishing is bad news though because of the animation time of standing/sitting after every bite.
my WoL's legs are getting tired

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

If it takes more than a few days, then whatever, I'll just desynth the white fish for bait and sell the green. If it moves reasonably quickly (which my server, Brynhildr, seems to as the page is full of sales for the 3rd, 4th and 5th), than I'll give it a longer go.

Well, it's only been a day and most of them sold getting me almost 56k, though that was to entirely one player and nobody else has bought any since I last checked, so it could just be lucky timing.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Double post, but this is different and useful enough I think it warrants it:

The weekly Minimog targets this week are either doing an ARR elite mark bill (the weekly Hunt target) or doing the level 50 Toadskin treasure map. So, one of Second Lieutenant GC rank, a level 50 gatherer or buying a map off the MB for this week's challenge.

Not hard stuff, but more side content, which makes me hopeful that's all they'll be targeting with these Minimog stuff and it won't be dungeons or trials.

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Onean posted:

The weekly Minimog targets this week are either doing an ARR elite mark bill (the weekly Hunt target) or doing the level 50 Toadskin treasure map.

I bet toadskin map prices are going to skyrocket this week. ARR hunts are kind of annoying with how many spawn points you need to check.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The ARR B-rank spawn points are almost all just a loop around the edge of the map, they're pretty easy to find

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
yeah I don't really hate ARR Brank spawns, there's more potential points but every ARR zone is so much smaller than any expansion zone and expansion b-ranks you have to fly around half the zone anyway.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you wanna do crimes, Aether Compass will put a mark on your screen when you're near any Rank B or higher target. If you don't wanna do crimes, FFXIV Hunt will let you choose your targets by expansion, and show a map with all spawn points cirlced in red.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For the first time in many years, you might actually have trouble finding your B rank due to people killing it just before you fly within range to get the notice (causing you to have to re-search the zone)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

leaptosleep posted:

I bet toadskin map prices are going to skyrocket this week. ARR hunts are kind of annoying with how many spawn points you need to check.

All the maps on my server were sold by the time I checked, including one set for 200k, and mine literally just sold while I was writing this post for 150k, so, yeah. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My server got up to 200K, now there are two on there undercutting each other. Probably bought by speculators, I expect things will crash quickly

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been more on my server yet, there's only two up right now around 300k and not even 20 maps have sold since reset, though it is middle of the day Tuesday. It'll pick up more tonight, and I'm curious how low it'll tank by the time I login in the middle of the night.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Note if you're going to try to harvest Toadskin the level 50 gathering nodes have Toad, Boar and Piesteskin maps so look before you click.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just got the weekly hunt bill from my GC and did that to kill two birds with one stone. It even tells you in-game when the mark is close to you.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

man i cannot bring myself to do any mogtome stuff until they put more gwibers in the rewards :mad:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I already bought everything I didn't already have with like 80 mogtomes. I guess I'll see by the end of the event how many stacks of job mastery fireworks I've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Just wanted to say thanks to the Eurogoons for good times, I've barely played in months so I decided to finally bite the bullet, pack up my estate and get ready to unsub. Might jump back in again depending on Dawntrail reception but I know the signs of MMO burnout and the post-EW content felt like going through the motions and where better to leave things than the expansion with End in the title?