Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

smax posted:

:getin: Heads up! Prusa's accepting orders for the MK3.5 upgrade kit. For MK3/3S/3S+ users this means upgrading the board and a few other things to get vastly increased print speed and integrated networking features. Price is $250 and FedEx shipping is suprisingly reasonable.

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-to-mk3-5-upgrade-kit-2/

Thanks, snagged a kit because I want my far more rigid machine to hit speeds the Mini hits with current firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i keep almost upgrading my mk3s to a 3.5 or a 4 just to bring it up to modern features, but also the x1c is doing the job fine. the mk3 and the mini have been collecting dust.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 5, 2024

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Deviant posted:

i keep almost upgrading my mk3s to a 3.5 or a 4 just to bring it up to modern features, but also the x1c is doing the job fine. th3 mk3 and the mini have been collecting dust.

I may get an X1C or P1* later this year, but I like to keep my existing machines relatively current just because.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I am afraid that upgrading to a 3.5 will break MMU2 compatibility, which is already touchy at best

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sockser posted:

I am afraid that upgrading to a 3.5 will break MMU2 compatibility, which is already touchy at best

the mmu2 itself is touchy at best.

Some Pinko Commie posted:

I may get an X1C or P1* later this year, but I like to keep my existing machines relatively current just because.

:hmmyes:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm trying to fix up this E3v2 so it reliably, like... works. Then I'm supposed to give it to my brother in law.

I currently have the original bed, a wildly uneven magnetic sheet stuck to it, a textured PEI sheet, yellow springs I never touch, and a CR Touch. The firmware does a 7x7 point probe before every print to deal with the bed unevenness.

I would like a magnetic bed with no springs, a smooth PEI sheet, and the same CR Touch, maybe with like a 5x5 probe or even a 3x3.

Is that even an upgrade path that exists? I can't find much in the way of replacing the whole bed, so I might just get a smooth sheet, keep the firmware, and apologize for the excruciatingly slow bed probe before every print. But at least things stick now, and it would be pretty resilient against changing build plate.

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 5, 2024

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sockser posted:

I never saw the benefit in MMU-type setups other than backup material if one spool runs out but maybe the AMS add-on will change my mind someday.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Some Pinko Commie posted:

I never saw the benefit in MMU-type setups other than backup material if one spool runs out but maybe the AMS add-on will change my mind someday.

99+% of my usage has just been "always has black PLA and black PETG loaded and ready to go and I don't need to walk downstairs and gently caress around with it to swap out filament"

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sockser posted:

99+% of my usage has just been "always has black PLA and black PETG loaded and ready to go and I don't need to walk downstairs and gently caress around with it to swap out filament"

Yeah, 2 rolls of main color, 1 of secondary, 1 of support material is my main setup.

I just hate the waste, so I only really do flat supported layers or colors. That way, it only changes on 2 layers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

I’m picturing a room in the basement where the filament is, with tubes running through the walls to the various rooms where the printers are.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Son of Rodney posted:

Did you create the STL files for dungeon tiles etc. yourself or did you buy licensed STL from somewhere? I've found a few options that seem cool but either they're a few hundred bucks up-front, which is a bit much to start out with, or very expensive to buy piece-meal. We've been learning blender a bit and I'm confident we can create some stuff by ourself but of course that will take a while.

Queeb has mentioned licensing products in previous posts. If you're going to get into building your own, Blender will be fine for modeling blocky stuff like the basic tile form, doorways etc, but when it comes to anything organic like figures or rounding corners on stone blocks, you would work faster in a sculpting program. Zbrush is industry standard but they cost an arm and a leg now for a subscription. You could check out Nomad Sculpt if you have an iPad.

Blender also has sculpting tools but I think they suck.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
HueForge is going to have a new feature, Color Pop.

Here's a "tutorial" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGEZ-dYwFI

The author is pretty bad at explaining things but here's the scoop: basically if you've used HueForge, you've probably stopped using it because it lacks color pop.

Here's HueForge in a nutshell, illustrated with an image that looks like the OBVIOUS slam-dunk candidate for a good hueforge output:

BUT :yosbutt: HueForge is more and there's absolutely no way to get a lick more.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
But with color pop you can (in theory) get if you fiddle for a couple of minutes:

Which after another ten realtime minutes of fiddling you might turn into

So how does this work? Who loving knows? It works the way HueForge and god intended: by fiddling sliders to adjust the breakpoint between "this luminance range is greyscale" and "this luminance range is color" and mixing that with adjusting other color sliders until things look right.

Definitely not the way you, a normal sane person, want it to work, but on the other hand it is absolutely the way you and me, HueForge purchasers both, deserve :haw:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

cruft posted:

I'm trying to fix up this E3v2 so it reliably, like... works. Then I'm supposed to give it to my brother in law.

I currently have the original bed, a wildly uneven magnetic sheet stuck to it, a textured PEI sheet, yellow springs I never touch, and a CR Touch. The firmware does a 7x7 point probe before every print to deal with the bed unevenness.

I would like a magnetic bed with no springs, a smooth PEI sheet, and the same CR Touch, maybe with like a 5x5 probe or even a 3x3.

Is that even an upgrade path that exists? I can't find much in the way of replacing the whole bed, so I might just get a smooth sheet, keep the firmware, and apologize for the excruciatingly slow bed probe before every print. But at least things stick now, and it would be pretty resilient against changing build plate.

I gave up even trying to work with my E2v2. It still works, but the print times are just SO much slower then all my other printers and I dont need to bother with setup and tweaking and leveling the bed anymore. I am actually looking into printing an adaptor and adding a pen to do some fancy 2d artwork insead.

Roundboy posted:

you guys are the worst

so this is a random M5 nut and bolt with the same thread pattern scaled up 700%. they printed great but the threads bind SO hard. not sure where i can even begin to tweak that or just resolve myself to the fact that scaled up metric threads are just bad at absurd levels

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Roundboy posted:

I gave up even trying to work with my E2v2. It still works, but the print times are just SO much slower then all my other printers and I dont need to bother with setup and tweaking and leveling the bed anymore. I am actually looking into printing an adaptor and adding a pen to do some fancy 2d artwork insead.

so this is a random M5 nut and bolt with the same thread pattern scaled up 700%. they printed great but the threads bind SO hard. not sure where i can even begin to tweak that or just resolve myself to the fact that scaled up metric threads are just bad at absurd levels

M35

What format is it in? Can you do a press/pull on the threads?

Alternatively, you can make it solid walled and add your own threads.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i leave yall alone for a few days and everyone descends into oversized-novelty-crap printing

:mad:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Deviant posted:

i leave yall alone for a few days and everyone descends into oversized-novelty-crap printing

:mad:

Hey, it allowed me to give my wife an extra nice xmas and the reason I have 3 printers now lol

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Bondematt posted:

M35

What format is it in? Can you do a press/pull on the threads?

Alternatively, you can make it solid walled and add your own threads.

M5 * xx with coarse thread spacing. Downloaded as a STEP file and just slicer resized to 700% and printed. looking closer, it seems the threads are not printed as clean, a little wobble in the edges. I either need to slow down these overhangs or change orientation

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
This will be useful knowledge whenever someone builds something that requires an M350 bolt.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Edit : dupe posting

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Roundboy posted:

I had this problem with some hardware I printed on my X1C from McMaster-Carr CAD files. I ended up running a tap through the nut and chased the threads with a die, which obviously won’t work in your case.

I did some searching and ran across this tutorial if you’re a Fusion360 user:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGWrFeu8Hv0

With that tutorial and some experimentation, I was able to pretty easily create functional threads.

I thought about trying to experiment with profile settings to get the McMaster Carr CAD files to print correctly, but I had a need for a prototype part with threads, so I just went the Fusion360 route.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

LordOfThePants posted:

I had this problem with some hardware I printed on my X1C from McMaster-Carr CAD files. I ended up running a tap through the nut and chased the threads with a die, which obviously won’t work in your case.

I did some searching and ran across this tutorial if you’re a Fusion360 user:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGWrFeu8Hv0

With that tutorial and some experimentation, I was able to pretty easily create functional threads.

I thought about trying to experiment with profile settings to get the McMaster Carr CAD files to print correctly, but I had a need for a prototype part with threads, so I just went the Fusion360 route.

oh nice. I need to model a few things that require threads, or at least have threading added to them. I realize what i printed was a novelty and the threads were probably too deep to be practical, but MMC offers step models smooth with no threads so its possible to use them as a base in fusion, and add my personal working threads.

Playing with modeling now to see

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I was this close to hurling my Mono X in the garbage, when i noticed the gray resin i've been trying to make work is expired. :mad:

gonna try to burn through these clear elegoo bottles i have and then replace with...more sirayatech fast gray? is that still the best?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 6, 2024

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Deviant posted:

I was this close to hurling my Mono X in the garbage, when i noticed the gray resin i've been trying to make work is expired. :mad:

gonna try to burn through these clear elegoo bottles i have and then replace with...more sirayatech fast gray? is that still the best?

Yes but it's pricey. Esun and atlas Vulcan are also good

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Roundboy posted:

My printer prints objects about 0.010-015" bigger than the model dimensions. This almost never matters EXCEPT for stuff like threads. Accordingly, I haven't had great results with printing threads that are modeled to spec. However, when I model the threads myself and slightly oversize the hole & undersize the bolt, it works gloriously

If you just want a silly giant bolt and nut that thread together, printing that nut a little bigger laterally without stretching the threads taller will probably get it done

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Javid posted:

My printer prints objects about 0.010-015" bigger than the model dimensions. This almost never matters EXCEPT for stuff like threads. Accordingly, I haven't had great results with printing threads that are modeled to spec. However, when I model the threads myself and slightly oversize the hole & undersize the bolt, it works gloriously

If you just want a silly giant bolt and nut that thread together, printing that nut a little bigger laterally without stretching the threads taller will probably get it done

Do you do a specific percentage size difference between bolt and hole?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

No, it isn't a percentage, it's been a pretty consistent 10-15 thou, at least in the 0-1~ish inch size range where I do threads

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
If you're modeling this is the video I use as reference on how to tweak threads once modeled (around the 6m mark): https://youtu.be/1nhcKn7Kt8w

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

NewFatMike posted:

I used to do it in tiny increments, definitely go with larger ones.

It’s a much faster process overall to use a larger increment at first and over shoot your target and decrease your increment each time you start calibrating in another direction.

Steps like 0.5mm in negative Z each time you test. When you see that you’ve gone too low, you know your range is within that last 0.5mm so start moving in positive Z by 0.1mm. If it takes another round, try by 0.05 back in negative Z.

Also, that -3.21mm value is completely specific to your setup and not really attached to a real position in space, just where your limit switches happen to be positioned on your particular gantry.

Hopefully that helps save an afternoon and some hair pulling, because I used to be very precious about every single adjustment and drove myself crazy until I got that advice :v:

I did the whole paper test business before but looking back I realize that paper sure does have different “gauges”/stocks and the entire affair is fairly subjective. Is there anything I should be looking out for regarding getting too low? I know that elephant foot-ing is a thing and presumably nozzle striking if I really overshoot.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Javid posted:

No, it isn't a percentage, it's been a pretty consistent 10-15 thou, at least in the 0-1~ish inch size range where I do threads

Huh

Are your steps just not correct on your motors if it's coming out 10% larger consistently?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 6, 2024

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

cruft posted:

You could have it generate a mesh and then have it load the mesh and do a 3 point test to make sure the mesh is still accurate.

I’ve done this in Klipper and Marlin and my bed is fairly warped and there’s no pre-probing I do now. The stored mesh seems to work no problem.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Huh

Are your steps just not correct on your motors if it's coming out 10% consistently?

that is the opposite of what that post says

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Warbird posted:

I did the whole paper test business before but looking back I realize that paper sure does have different “gauges”/stocks and the entire affair is fairly subjective. Is there anything I should be looking out for regarding getting too low? I know that elephant foot-ing is a thing and presumably nozzle striking if I really overshoot.

Definitely use thinner gauge paper. I liked receipt paper before I put the enders away because it seems to even give a visual indicator of contact before the paper jams but maybe i'm full of poo poo.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Definitely use thinner gauge paper. I liked receipt paper before I put the enders away because it seems to even give a visual indicator of contact before the paper jams but maybe i'm full of poo poo.

In my experience, paper gets you in the ballpark. Then you print and see how the squish and first layer go down and do smaller adjustments to dial it in.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

it failed with newer resin too. my settings are hosed or my screen/lights are borked. I thought 1.6s exposure would be enough with lychee auto medium supports, but maybe i'm wrong

edit: you know what, when i had that vat leak, it got into the machine. i wonder if my lamp is just coated with a layer of resin, bc these settings _used_ to work. i cleaned it, but it's hard to get everything. maybe it *is* new machine time. i've learned a lot and machines have improved significantly.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 6, 2024

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, X1C with AMS and printing ASA with HIPS support is totally cheat mode.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ok, X1C with AMS and printing ASA with HIPS support is totally cheat mode.

Isn't it?!

PLA & PETG and ASA/ABS & HIPS are huge for printing anything with a flat supported surface using the AMS.

I got 4 spools of HIPS for cheap a while back and I've barely touched the first spool. You just don't use very much for the 2 interface layers.

Curved/angled supported surfaces are possible, but so much waste I just avoid them.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Warbird posted:

The paper test is really there to tram your Z axis relative to your XY plane, it doesn’t perform the same function as a first layer offset. That tramming is also only as good as the build plate’s flatness. A sufficiently warped build plate will need to be shimmed or is just scrap.

The object of the paper test is that there is *some* consistent known distance between various test points on your plate and your Z axis. The amount isn’t important because the amount is determined by your first layer calibration and Z offset (I.e. setting a tool length offset because you adjust it each time you change filament).

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm going to play with threading but one of the linked videos rounded the extreme cuts the thread edges have which seems to have the most effect

Simply scaling up and printing metal screw threads was not going to work unless I printed the screw edge exactly. Even then it's a tossup.

Some screw on lids for containers on stls I downloaded and printed are just wide and shallow, and the screw pretty tight. One issue that I never see addressed is timing the threads. If I want to align the lid and base so a locking loop is placed aligned, do you index off where the threads start or is there too much slop in that method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I am at the end of my rope with this Mono X.

What I wanted:

(lost the lychee slicer file, sorry, this is the most that workshop will render)

what I got:

This is elegoo clear standard blue resin, with these settings:

Is that really not enough support? I believe it's autogenerated medium in lychee. I never used to have issues with this machine, or any of these resins. Machine UV power is @ 85%.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 6, 2024