Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

I think the feds were investigating him in response to the initial leak from 2022, not the suit being filed last week, right?

Yes the feds have been investigating him since late 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Guess who had the brilliant idea to make Vince executive chairman until death, incapacitation or resignation?

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1754575676194148683

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It is amazing that Ari publicly hasn't had any blowback yet though with more reporting hopefully that changes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It is amazing that Ari publicly hasn't had any blowback yet though with more reporting hopefully that changes

He got some bad publicity a few months ago when he and CAA feuded over who had the worst relationship with a sex predator, Vince or Weinstein.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah I'm sure Rahm Emanuel's brother is going to pop his head up to get harassed by the press.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Are you people still posting about this? It's over, Cody and the rankings are the big stories now.

Here's a sentence I never thought I would say: Thank god for the WSJ

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sleep with the vicious posted:

Are you people still posting about this? It's over, Cody and the rankings are the big stories now.

99% of the time the WSJ is garbage but every so often they nail a story on corporate malfeasance.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

99% of the time the WSJ is garbage but every so often they nail a story on corporate malfeasance.

Especially if someone trying to pull a power play drops a juicy one into their lap.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

this is some ice rear end posting

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zoobtro posted:

at some point he made a conscious choice to risk this. he stopped paying NDA money or somesuch right? he had to have lawyers/accounts aware of this and maybe advising him it was a bad idea. did he risk basically everything for $7 million?

I don't think this is the $7 million NDA. This was for a lesser sum, but still millions.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

ded posted:

this is some ice rear end posting

0 discussion of Grant on today's WOR - in the wrestling news world this story is over, which is gross to me, a normal person

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

They're not going to find anything out themselves. No-one in WWE is talking, and the cases are being worked on. They have hours of audio to produce.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

0 discussion of Grant on today's WOR - in the wrestling news world this story is over, which is gross to me, a normal person
I feel like "the story is over" because there was no new angles to discuss the topic today is kind of weird when WOR is a near daily show and the last seven episodes have been

January 26, 2024: Janel Grant's lawsuit against Vince McMahon
January 28, 2024: The resignation of Vince McMahon, Royal Rumble, more
January 30, 2024: McMahon lawsuit, media reaction, CM Punk and Kevin Owens injuries, RAW
February 1, 2024: Vince McMahon questions, RANKINGS RETURN, Dynamite and NXT
February 2, 2024: The latest on the lawsuit against Vince McMahon and WWE
February 5, 2024: Rock and Roman Reigns, Stardom shake-up, Vengeance Day, tons of news (ft. some discussion of Janel Grant)
February 6, 2024: Rock/Cody/Roman angle, Thursday press event, Stardom update, RAW report

I am not aware of any new news about the lawsuit between yesterday morning and this morning, so it seems premature to say "this story is over".

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

There's not much left to say until another bomb drops.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lawyers aren't the messy gossipers that wrestlers are, and the legal system moves slowly in the us. the lawsuit is going to develop over the course of months/years instead of a timeframe that's ideal for a daily podcast

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

they've already discussed all the available information and likely won't have anything to discuss until the deadline for the defendants to file their answers (or if there's something said at the press conference thursday)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

keithy george posted:

They're not going to find anything out themselves. No-one in WWE is talking, and the cases are being worked on. They have hours of audio to produce.

No one is talking on the record but other outlets had minor updates and talked to talent and major publications are working on actual stories. If Dave Meltzer can't get more out of talent or employees than SRS, that's sad.

With how many quotes floated around how happy people in the company were that people were talking about Cody rather than Vince there is definitely something to talk about.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

With how many quotes floated around how happy people in the company were that people were talking about Cody rather than Vince there is definitely something to talk about.

if 1 bad apple ruins the bunch i cannot imagine what kind of apple a rotten tree makes

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

No one is talking on the record but other outlets had minor updates and talked to talent and major publications are working on actual stories. If Dave Meltzer can't get more out of talent or employees than SRS, that's sad.

It's one episode of a near-daily podcast that didn't talk about the lawsuit except in passing. WOR did a podcast on Monday that talked about it, it was the lead story on the podcasts last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. And the lead story of last Monday's podcast. And last Saturday's special breaking podcast. The Observer issue posted on Friday had 8,000 words about the case as its lead story, and the newsletter before that had almost 7,000 words in its lead story.

Given that this thread dedicated to the topic seemed to devolve into people posting their own versions of the Wu-Tang torture skit in lieu of any actual new information over the weekend, I'm not quite ready to declare that Shave Seltzer has completely dropped the story due to not talking about it on a podcast for nearly 48 hours, but if people want to just ask questions that's their right.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If it helps Dave has been yelling at lowbies on Twitter for caring more about Cody's WrestleMania match than the Grant story

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

It's one episode of a near-daily podcast that didn't talk about the lawsuit except in passing. WOR did a podcast on Monday that talked about it, it was the lead story on the podcasts last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. And the lead story of last Monday's podcast. And last Saturday's special breaking podcast. The Observer issue posted on Friday had 8,000 words about the case as its lead story, and the newsletter before that had almost 7,000 words in its lead story.

Given that this thread dedicated to the topic seemed to devolve into people posting their own versions of the Wu-Tang torture skit in lieu of any actual new information over the weekend, I'm not quite ready to declare that Shave Seltzer has completely dropped the story due to not talking about it on a podcast for nearly 48 hours, but if people want to just ask questions that's their right.

Given Dave has completely dropped the ball on these stories in the past it is perfectly fair to ask if he is dropping the ball on these stories now. More relevant, he constantly brags about how he is a Hall of Fame Award Winning Journalist, if he can't break news on this, maybe he should brag less and cultivate sources more. Other sources had updates, so it is not a case of there being nothing to talk about.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

Given Dave has completely dropped the ball on these stories in the past it is perfectly fair to ask if he is dropping the ball on these stories now. More relevant, he constantly brags about how he is a Hall of Fame Award Winning Journalist, if he can't break news on this, maybe he should brag less and cultivate sources more. Other sources had updates, so it is not a case of there being nothing to talk about.
What breaking news has there been on the story since Monday morning, the last time it was discussed on the podcast?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

What breaking news has there been on the story since Monday morning, the last time it was discussed on the podcast?

Brock removed from more media involving the game
Talent and backstage people talking to reporters about how happy they were to talk about Cody vs Vince
Something that was known but not widely reported on with Brandon Thurston once again digging up that Ari was the one who wanted Vince to be Executive Chairman for life.

And again, you are ignoring that Dave Meltzer constantly brags about how he is a Hall of Fame reporter and how a dead guy said he was the best to ever do it. He should be able to get something out of talent. Has there been a talent meeting yet? Who are the people involved talent were murmuring they would start naming last week if the names didn't come out. Is Brock still being paid? Is Vince still on a talent contract?

He has said repeatedly that he lived nothing but the Chris Benoit story for a month and a half after the murders. Here is a far reaching story with more witnesses and more direct involvement from the biggest player in the business. If he wanted to cover it every day he by his own admission could. Does this mean he is necessarily doing a bad job because he didn't talk about it on WOR? No. But it is a reasonable expectation to want him to keep covering it and do actual digging instead of reciting lawsuits and letting other outlets break the news. It's his job to break news not just be a youtuber talking about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
News Nation is giving this a lot of coverage

https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsCo/status/1754914588577980821

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Even just what he said on Twitter about people being angrier about Cody than Vince is a story. There's an important story there about what is actually important to WWE fans and co -opted media which would counter WWE's efforts to astroturf over it with The Rock.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This whole thing with The Rock getting the main event in itself also does give some idea of the level of disconnect that exists between the executive level and WWE creative, so-called, considering when Rock became a board member and was given the WM40 main event, no one bothered letting creative know. End result, they appeared to be going full steam ahead with Cody finishing the story, only to have to pull the rug out from underneath him. The left had has no idea what the right hand is doing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

This whole thing with The Rock getting the main event in itself also does give some idea of the level of disconnect that exists between the executive level and WWE creative, so-called, considering when Rock became a board member and was given the WM40 main event, no one bothered letting creative know. End result, they appeared to be going full steam ahead with Cody finishing the story, only to have to pull the rug out from underneath him. The left had has no idea what the right hand is doing.

Meltzer is now saying creative knew and Triple H booked the Rumble the way he did regardless.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

MassRafTer posted:

Meltzer is now saying creative knew and Triple H booked the Rumble the way he did regardless.

Suuuuuure...

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Suuuuuure...

https://voca.ro/1dphtzVB2eaE

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given the press conference and Dwayne joining the board I actually believe that timeline, especially since they had Vince there hyping it up (if they knew the lawsuit was coming they 100% wouldn't have had Vince there).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hooboy I'm suddenly reminded of the Hank Hippopotamus episode of Bojack. Hope others will come forward.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

And again, you are ignoring that Dave Meltzer constantly brags about how he is a Hall of Fame reporter and how a dead guy said he was the best to ever do it. He should be able to get something out of talent. Has there been a talent meeting yet? Who are the people involved talent were murmuring they would start naming last week if the names didn't come out. Is Brock still being paid? Is Vince still on a talent contract?

He has said repeatedly that he lived nothing but the Chris Benoit story for a month and a half after the murders. Here is a far reaching story with more witnesses and more direct involvement from the biggest player in the business. If he wanted to cover it every day he by his own admission could. Does this mean he is necessarily doing a bad job because he didn't talk about it on WOR? No. But it is a reasonable expectation to want him to keep covering it and do actual digging instead of reciting lawsuits and letting other outlets break the news. It's his job to break news not just be a youtuber talking about it.
I'm not ignoring him 'constantly bragging' because I don't really care about that and has very little to do with the original topic.This has drifted pretty far away from the original question (which I now realize was not you), "if an entire podcast goes by without mentioning the Vince McMahon lawsuit, does that mean the story is 'dead'?"

I don't think that is does, but I have neither the belief nor desire required to defend Dave Meltzer as a perfect person, and I don't think I need to in order to claim that. I also know that the Wrestling Observer newsletter had coverage of things that were not Chris Benoit in the weeks after the murders, so the logical conclusion there is either that he was lying about feeling like the Benoit story dominated his life, or that there can be a story that you feel takes over your life/the narrative/the industry while not literally being the only thing anyone ever talks about ever for weeks/months, and to discuss anything that is not the Important Story is showing that you don't think it's important. There are hundreds of people posting in this very subforum about non-Vince wrestling stories, is that a bad look because they're getting more excited talking about Deadlock or Stardom or old WCW than this very important story?

I'm also not sure if Meltzer's main job is to "break stories", dividing everything into SCOOPS and YOUTUBERS seems wildly reductive. Journalism exists outside of scoops.

I have taken this way outside of the more important topic the thread is actually about, and my intention in posting was not to discuss the merits of Dave Meltzer as a journalist as much to counter the narrative that one podcast* not being about Vince McMahon means "the story is dead" and Vince is getting away with everything and all is lost and etc.

* I have listened actually listened to this morning's podcast since posting earlier and the Vince McMahon lawsuit is discussed, no breaking news per se but the point that whatever is going on with Wrestlemania is a 'win' for WWE since people aren't talking abut Vince is brought up repeatedly while discussing Wrestlemania, and the Q&A is a lot of (mostly repeated topics already discussed) about Vince McMahon.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not for nothing, but sex assault stories in the news media don’t ever really have a long tail when it is just a bunch of allegations

When the court cases start coming up, when criminal charges get filed, when statements are being put out, that is when true crime stuff gains its hang time in the media. Thus far we had the allegations, and Vince resigning shockingly fast. The next step is either likely when court dates start being scheduled, when more allegations come out, or if Vince countersues or something.

Don’t write this off as being dead in the water yet IMO

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

Not for nothing, but sex assault stories in the news media don’t ever really have a long tail when it is just a bunch of allegations

When the court cases start coming up, when criminal charges get filed, when statements are being put out, that is when true crime stuff gains its hang time in the media. Thus far we had the allegations, and Vince resigning shockingly fast. The next step is either likely when court dates start being scheduled, when more allegations come out, or if Vince countersues or something.

It's definitely not, there were a ton of stories this weekend. Newsnation is talking to women in the company. Hausman interviewed the lawyer involved in the class action lawsuit that Ashley Massaro joined. There are several mainstream outlets working on stories. It's far from dead or losing momentum,.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

rotinaj posted:

The story is definitely not dead in the water, as others have commented. But if you're looking for explosive new revelations, federal litigation probably isn't the place to get them outside of the allegations themselves. And new information probably won't come fast.

I just looked at the dockets, and summons haven't even been served yet, which means that the defendants are not yet on the clock to either (1) answer the complaint (and file any counterclaims) or (2) move to dismiss the complaint for failure to state a claim.

I imagine the defendants' attorneys are negotiating to accept service in exchange for a schedule to brief a motion to dismiss the complaint. It's a big complaint, so they'll probably want something like 45 or 60 days to file their brief, then Grant will get a similar amount of time to respond, and then the defendants will get somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 days to file a reply brief. Then the Court will take some time to rule on the motion to dismiss. A dispositive motion will take some time to decide--probably somewhere in the realm of 3-6 months.

While they wait for a decision on a motion to dismiss, the parties will fight about whether to start discovery. Plaintiffs will push for it, Defendants will say it is premature before a motion to dismiss ruling. Once discovery actually starts, whenever it starts, it will be a slog with a ton of disputes over the production of sensitive materials. And all of that discovery will be subject to a protective order, which will require that particularly sensitive documents be filed under seal, i.e., away from the public eye. And the negotiation of a protective order will probably be more contentious in this case than most cases, given part of Grant's goal is to shed light on the culture of abuse at WWE.

So yeah, absent something surprising, it will probably be a bit before we learn anything new in the court case itself.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Unless there is a pressing issue with statute of limitations a civil case in an issue with a complexion like this is better off slow rolling and waiting for SDNY to file charges. It will make defeating motions to dismiss a lot easier if you can point to a criminal case related to the civil claim.

On the is Dave meltzer being a journalist or not, the only interesting questions currently surround legal issues like SEC disclosure rules. A bozo who gives star ratings to fake fighting shows is wholly unequipped to explore if the use of NDAs to prevent victims from discussing their experiences constitutes violating whistleblower protections surrounding failing to report material information that could affect the value of a public company.

It's the sort of issue that only a publication like Bloomberg, FT or AFR have the expertise to accurately report on.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Just email Dave whatever it is you think he's not saying and he'll just read it out loud on air. You just need to lie and say you're an expert. It's fine if the lie is easily disproven.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Just email Dave whatever it is you think he's not saying and he'll just read it out loud on air. You just need to lie and say you're an expert. It's fine if the lie is easily disproven.

You can just lie through the whole thing and get good value as he'll repeat the lies for weeks even after people have started yelling at him.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
How will Dave do PR for his buddy Dwayne if he's busy researching corporate malfeasance via sex trafficking?

He could easily pivot to actually doing investigative journalism instead of fantasy booking, but chose not to. I'm sure Frank Deford would be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah I don't see this going away in any form. There's a lot of room for fuckery so I don't know if this will really kill the business(WWE) like a few vets have hangwrung about. I'm honestly not convinced Vince will see handcuffs, much less jail time.

I would very much Vince to go away with a permanence. And I'd like to see TKO dismantled with WWE and UFC nationalized.