Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

The Locator posted:

The decision is thorough and backed by a bipartisan group of judges that includes Karen Henderson, who has previously sided with Trump on key questions of executive power.

Obviously the two Biden-appointed judges DEEP STATEd Henderson.

Hollismason posted:

I'm kind of curious how long the Supreme Court is going to take because their famously slow.

What are you talking about? They need to make their decision next week as to whether or not they'll tackle the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
If the SC takes up the case, doesn’t that mean their decision won’t be released until late June or early July? I can’t see a criminal case against Trump proceeding that late in an election year.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Almost Smart posted:

If the SC takes up the case, doesn’t that mean their decision won’t be released until late June or early July? I can’t see a criminal case against Trump proceeding that late in an election year.

They may take even longer.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Almost Smart posted:

Yes, IF they take it up (as has been said already dozens of times in the last few pages), it'll be to stall/drag it out till then.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

I'm kind of curious how long the Supreme Court is going to take because their famously slow.

Trump will file an emergency request for a stay sometime before Tuesday. The SCOTUS will deny the request without hearing shortly thereafter.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Wonder how many fish delites and smashed ketchup bottles they're gonna have to scrape off walls at mar-a-lago today?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I hate to say it.but I’m laughing my rear end off at donel trunt

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Almost Smart posted:

Bush v. Gore was released just a few days after oral argument, so speed is possible.

Notably, the justices vote directly after the oral argument, so the result of the case is known to the nine of them and their clerks right away. Mostly the delay is writing opinions and sending them back and forth between the clerks and other justices joining that opinion. Also speed is very, very much not important in the vast majority of cases.

In complex cases, the vote might be three or four ways, too, and they'll delay in figuring out who is joining who's opinion.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Mods, can we get this for the next few weeks?

Could I get hit with this, sorry if I'm behind and it got stopped in the last day.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

nesamdoom posted:

Could I get hit with this, sorry if I'm behind and it got stopped in the last day.

Nobody got hit with it, people paid $5 for it.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

nobodygetshurt posted:

seriously tho, where the heck is hal? is his basement flooded again?

hal asked to step back for a bit

He did a good job with the thread and certainly earned it trying to corral you all. Now is the reign of Toxic Mental and Corky :evilbuddy:

Also for gangtags you know you can just ask us to upload it and then add it to your avs right

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Trump will file an emergency request for a stay sometime before Tuesday. The SCOTUS will deny the request without hearing shortly thereafter.

So if Trump doesn't get the stay then his DC case continues as scheduled

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Yeah, I am also not a law-knower, but I think the idea is rulings that are correct don’t get taken up by SCOTUS. SCOTUS is there either because something in the ruling might be wrong and needs addressing, or because different courts are ruling differently on it and there’s a dispute to be resolved. Not taking something up basically means, “this ruling is fine as-is and serves as a valid precedent for all future rulings.”

They literally don’t have the time to take up every settled ruling, and in fact don’t have time to take up a ton of unsettled stuff (hello, qualified immunity and civil asset forfeiture!), so it’s extra offensive what this Court did with Roe v Wade.

Also also not a law knower type person, but in a case like this would SCOTUS take it up and uphold the ruling just to set the future precedent that a President is not above the law?

I don't know how much weight the DC Circuit Court ruling would hold regarding precedent in case the Presidential immunity argument ever came up against in the future in a non -Trump scenario. Maybe it's a lot, idk. That's why someone smarter than me can help me out.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hollismason posted:

Yeah in theory the SC could just refuse to hear it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

Correct. Trial begins once the DC circuit mandate is issued. That will happen next Tuesday unless trump files a notice that he has filed a request for stay with the SCOTUS. The DC mandate will be held until the request for stay is resolved if filed before Tuesday. After that, though, back to the trial court.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah in theory the SC could just refuse to hear it

I don't think they'll refuse to hear it. I'm just not sure they won't grant him a stay while waiting on their decision.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

J U D G E M E N T

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Well, for one, his immunity argument is absurd.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Grey Cat posted:

Nobody got hit with it, people paid $5 for it.

dope, i'm gonna check the couch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

I don't think they'll refuse to hear it. I'm just not sure they won't grant him a stay while waiting on their decision.

They're likely not going to hear his appeal. They only take cases when there is something they need to correct on an earlier opinion.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

hal asked to step back for a bit

He did a good job with the thread and certainly earned it trying to corral you all. Now is the reign of Toxic Mental and Corky :evilbuddy:

Also for gangtags you know you can just ask us to upload it and then add it to your avs right

Corky is allowed to IK more than one thread?!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah somehow the United States managed to last over 200 years without any other presidents yelling about TOTAL IMMUNITY or getting 91 indictments thrown at them after they left office

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
*runs in from the street out of breath* COURTESY OF THE DEAD WHITE AND BLUE!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Mr. Nice! posted:

They're likely not going to hear his appeal. They only take cases when there is something they need to correct on an earlier opinion.

ELECTION INTERFERENCE by the “WOKE” SCOTUS! DO SOMETHING!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Toxic Mental posted:

"I have the greatest immunity, absolutely yuuge."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm hoping against hope that we can start the Jan 6 trial as close as possible to the original 3/4 date.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

HJE-Cobra posted:

Yeah somehow the United States managed to last over 200 years without any other presidents yelling about TOTAL IMMUNITY or getting 91 indictments thrown at them after they left office

The average president has been indicted for two felonies!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
:lol: I'm imagining the judges just holding their hands over their ears and screaming "I'm not listening, I'm not listening!" to Dolan Trump

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HJE-Cobra posted:

We never had a president who loves white people — I mean Americans— as much as Trump

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

:lol::lmao:

https://x.com/skinnyfattony/status/1754706045639762195?s=46&t=Y9tN5g_IyRiifSxBmqZbkw

An unironic “sharp elbows” seen in the wild

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

redshirt posted:

I'm hoping against hope that we can start the Jan 6 trial as close as possible to the original 3/4 date.

That's definitely not happening but you should probably hope against hope that it starts in like, June. That'd still be enough time for him to be locked up

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

redshirt posted:

All the pre trial stuff has been paused during this appeal. This article lays out all the possibilities pretty well.

quote:

The most likely time horizons for the resolution of the appeal range from several weeks (February) to about four and a half months (middle of May), although longer delays are possible. With approximately three months of pre-trial proceedings still remaining, measuring from the point at which the stay of the trial was entered, that would result in the trial commencing between May and August. The trial itself is expected to take approximately 8-12 weeks.
https://www.justsecurity.org/91108/how-long-will-trumps-dc-immunity-appeal-take-analyzing-the-alternative-timelines/

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Oof, been a while since being able to dig this one out.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I feel like if one does not want to face criminal charges, one should simply not commit crimes

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

But seriously, Engoron needs to get his rear end in gear

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Lucky Guy posted:

i did

e: a terribly snipe proves that I'm right

Let me just update your Elo here and...

Congrats!

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific

Hollismason posted:

I recall them shooting something down as well but can't remember what.

It was one of his challenges to the 2020 election results. He was trying to argue fraud or something and SCOTUS said "lol yeah right" and declined to hear the case.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Sharp elbows are hot, women should bend their arms more. I like my women acute, not obtuse.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This just makes me wonder which poster has the highest Elo ranking for thread slapfights

Stux over in the video games subforum is ranked #1 in the world, even including Korea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mr. Nice! posted:

The average president has been indicted for two felonies!

The average human being has one ovary and one testicle