Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

fez_machine posted:

It displays correctly on my kindle as arabic script

Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tokelau All Star posted:

Reading Exordia on my Kobo, a lot of Khaje dialogue is strings of ☒☒☒☒ ☒☒☒☒. Is this supposed to be Arabic script that I don't have the right font for? Alien talk?

I had this issue. Changing the settings to use publisher font fixed it for me.

Re: Exordia, the "Sphere meets Venom" description is kinda silly but not wholly off-base. Personally I'd I were to make a comparison like that, it would be "The Good Place meets Event Horizon"...

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Speaking of "use publisher font" on Kobo, I've downloaded this and tossed it onto my Kobo and am reading it with publisher font:

pradmer posted:

Cradle, Foundation (#1-3) by Will Wight - FREE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076G8DVN6/

And it has made it so that every page break is between two paragraphs so that every new page starts a new paragraph, sometimes meaning there's like an inch of blank space at the bottom of a page so that the next page can start with a new paragraph. With an ebook it's not like page space is at a premium, but I don't think I've ever seen a book do that before.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

pradmer posted:

Witch World: Estcarp Cycle (#1-3) by Andre Norton - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GQPFPW5/

I got the free book. Thank you!

Kwathi
Nov 7, 2010

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to the Cult of the Crushing Wave."
Finished Exordia a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. Framing an argument about act vs. rule utilitarianism (with Anna and Ssrin as the world's most dangerous proponents of contractarianism?) as an invasion of gleefully scenery-chewing snake aliens is very much up my alley. Definitely more references to Diane Duane's Young Wizards series than my undergrad philosophy courses had, which I also enjoyed a lot. There's a lot of things to talkl about in the book, and I don't want to throw more spoilers into the thread, but for me it worked in the same way that Tamsin Muir books or, say, Everything Everywhere All At Once did in that it is both very serious and quite silly at the same time without either detracting from the other. Intentional tonal inconsistency just seems more interesting and life-like in writing than choosing between writing a grim, serious book or a light, goofy farce. Anyway, my review on the Kindle site is being processed by whatever weird robot does that.

Semi-unrelated, but thanks Pradmer for the sale links. My Kindle is going to explode as a result, but it's very much appreciated. Second hand thanks from my mother, who has now beat me to reading Translation State as a result, as I got distracted by all these snakes.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I had this issue. Changing the settings to use publisher font fixed it for me.

Re: Exordia, the "Sphere meets Venom" description is kinda silly but not wholly off-base. Personally I'd I were to make a comparison like that, it would be "The Good Place meets Event Horizon"...

Yeah, the problem with pitching Exordia in an accurate way is that doing so involves massive spoilers even by suggestion, so you kind of have to go superficial with it. Gun to my head and forced to pitch it in a way that didn't spoil anything that wasn't stated pretty explicitly in the first couple chapters, I might describe it as "What if someone read Blindsight, stewed on it for 15 years, and wrote a universe that runs counter to Blindsight's fundamental premise but replaces it with something just as existentially terrifying."

If I had to sell it to myself, I'd tell Other-Me: "Imagine if someone responded to Blindsight the way The Commonweal is explicitly a response to The Black Company." I have no idea if that's actually what the General did, but it sure feels like it.

Either way, it completely loving rules and I am endeavoring to move copies. I would be very, very surprised if I read better sci-fi this year, and if it isn't a strong Nebula contender I will be deeply annoyed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Posted a review on Amazon, don't forget to do that as it helps the algorithm (whispers: the algorithm)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Can Exordia chat get its own thread, or hide behind spoiler space? It's not even out in the UK for another few weeks.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Jedit posted:

Can Exordia chat get its own thread, or hide behind spoiler space? It's not even out in the UK for another few weeks.

Aww what. Is THIS why I don’t have my copy yet here in Australia??? Why global release dates aren’t the norm I will never understand :argh: (because publishing :doh:)

Anyway I finally made it through (lol) The Wall of Storms. If you did not like The Grace of Kings, I don’t know that you’d enjoy this. If you did like The Grace of Kings, I’m also not entirely sure you’d enjoy this. But if multiple timelines, non-linear narratives, R&D sequences in lieu of training sequences and a historical text style of storytelling is your thing, you might love it. Rapid development of tech down an alternative path is a huge part of this book.

Me, I think it’s okay. The characters feel a little shakier in this compared to the previous one, and I suspect that’s because there been a departure from real life figures to draw upon. Honestly it’s landing in the same place as The Dragon Republic for me, but since Liu is a better writer compared to Kuang and because he’s drawing from an older historical period, I feel like I’m cutting him more slack on that front because I’m less annoyed when reading.

Will probably continue on to The Veiled Throne but not any time soon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://bsky.app/profile/wellingtonskeleton.bsky.social/post/3kkhp3pei2k2s

OptionalPirate
Aug 31, 2008
The worst person you know just made eight great points.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Leng posted:

Aww what. Is THIS why I don’t have my copy yet here in Australia??? Why global release dates aren’t the norm I will never understand :argh: (because publishing :doh:)

I purchased Exordia just fine in Australia, as an ebook, at least. Which is also generally the UK release date, isn't it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

pradmer posted:

Cradle's good (though the quality peaked at Wintersteel). I think Will's given out books 1-8 or 1-9 for free in the past as well but it's a good series, especially by KU standards.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Should I take it that Dradin in Love is not fully representative of the quality of the Ambergris collection?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Should I take it that Dradin in Love is not fully representative of the quality of the Ambergris collection?
It's one of the weakest ones, if I remember correctly.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exordia is available on Amazon UK, maybe it's just that whatever bookseller you're using hasn't got any copies yet?

Both libraries I have access to in NZ have physical and ebook copies, and there's a big ol' queue for them so I won't be reading it any time in the next month probably.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

NZ isn't getting a local release for a few months yet, so I bought it on Kindle and now am waiting for my local bookshop to import a US copy for me. My local library system seems to have done the same, since they've got a few hard copies to go around. I think the UK release is also a bit later, but maybe not so distant that the libraries think it's worth importing early.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 6, 2024

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

It's one of the weakest ones, if I remember correctly.

also one of the first things he published.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

NZ isn't getting a local release for a few months yet, so I bought it on Kindle and now am waiting for my local bookshop to import a US copy for me. My local library system seems to have done the same, since they've got a few hard copies to go around. I think the UK release is also a bit later, but maybe not so distant that the libraries think it's worth importing early.

Wellington also has a single digital copy and Auckland has two. Idk how licencing and poo poo works with ebooks in libraries but if even that doesn't have to abide by local release dates, surely it only hurts the publisher to stagger releases. Why wouldn't they do it simultaneously?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The ebooks are currently on a USB drive in the hold of a cargo ship rounding Cape Horn.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Broadly speaking it's because we're a very small market who nobody gives a poo poo about, and it's especially bad with SFF.

Unless it's big on BookTok or written by Brandon Sanderson/GRRM, we're probably not going to get a timely release until months down the track, and it'll usually be in trade paperback format, even if other markets are still hardback only.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Broadly speaking it's because we're a very small market who nobody gives a poo poo about, and it's especially bad with SFF.

Unless it's big on BookTok or written by Brandon Sanderson/GRRM, we're probably not going to get a timely release until months down the track, and it'll usually be in trade paperback format, even if other markets are still hardback only.

So is it literally just the publisher not getting physical copies sent to bookshops here?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Best of Philip K Dick - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NN7S26B/

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

How long will it take to capture Blackbird? 2 days
Will Iruvage be killed? Yes
and so on, and so on.

Wait I don't get this one

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CaptCommy posted:

Very famous grover (of groverhaus fame) SA post about predicting how the iraq war will go, on a specific schedule and timeline of what'll happen

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CaptCommy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2925

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I read The Peace War yesterday, which was my first intro to Vernor Vinge. It was good enough that it got me to pick up and start A Fire Upon the Deep, and so far I am a huge fan. I think I’ll probably finish this series first, then maybe do the second book in the peace war universe, but what other books of his would y’all recommend?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

silvergoose posted:

Very famous grover (of groverhaus fame) SA post about predicting how the iraq war will go, on a specific schedule and timeline of what'll happen

Oh god, my knowledge began and ended at the house itself. Thank you for this gift

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

tildes posted:

I read The Peace War yesterday, which was my first intro to Vernor Vinge. It was good enough that it got me to pick up and start A Fire Upon the Deep, and so far I am a huge fan. I think I’ll probably finish this series first, then maybe do the second book in the peace war universe, but what other books of his would y’all recommend?

His novella True Names is excellent.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Hitting the climax of Exordia and wtf there are still 300 pages left?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yeah it happens a few more times.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tokelau All Star posted:

A climax, not the. It's very multiple.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

A climax, not the. It's very multiple.

as is befitting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Load bearing war predictions. :eyepoop:

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
About halfway through Exordia and I just caught the 'Grover Hawes' reference, are you telling me there's more?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jedit posted:

I don't think anyone has posted anything outside of spoiler tags that is more specific than you'd find on a blurb.

There's a huge amount of plot! (This will be obvious by the end of chapter 1.)
There's lots of discussion of the philosophy of ethics! (Buttatta has literally posted this ITT.)
There are references to the forums! (See above.)

Nobody has given away *how* the book gets where it does, or even *where* that is.

Don't panic! Excitement and amazement still await you!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Evil Fluffy posted:

Load bearing war predictions. :eyepoop:

i've always wondered - is this funny because it's wildly inaccurate? it seems about as right as most of the stuff that was coming out at the time, hits some, misses some?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i'm amazed that my library ebook platform has a copy of exordia and that i can read it within a reasonable amount of time

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

sebmojo posted:

i've always wondered - is this funny because it's wildly inaccurate? it seems about as right as most of the stuff that was coming out at the time, hits some, misses some?

I think part of it is the format since it sounds so authoritative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I think grovers pretend military rank might factor into it being a big joke now.