Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

That was pretty sick.

I want to get into Lego trains, but given the boxes and boxes of o gage train and track my dad has in a storage unit there's a very real danger I'm generically predisposed to turning basements into giant train layouts. I even have a chair-height built in around my office that would make all too perfect a work bench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Catatron Prime posted:

On the topic of Lego Trains, does anyone know if Lego replaces defective bricks from older sets? I recently picked up an unopened TGV train set, but because it's from 2013, the set is plagued with brittle reddish brown bricks.

For example, all the 1x2 plates cracked upon placement:

Not the end of the world, just kind of annoying :ohdear:

If the parts are still made, sure! No one should say no to replacing them.
That old brown is known for being brittle once it gets old, I think. The new version of it shouldn't, but not every brick that was made in the old brown is necessarily being made in the new one.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Glad to know it's not just me with the brittle brown pieces. I took a bagged set out of storage to toss into the pile that I build with with my toddler. So many of the brown pieces have just snapped on me. Same with the burgundy "dark red" pieces from 7307.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

illcendiary posted:

Glad to know it's not just me with the brittle brown pieces. I took a bagged set out of storage to toss into the pile that I build with with my toddler. So many of the brown pieces have just snapped on me. Same with the burgundy "dark red" pieces from 7307.

Hrm I wondered wtf was up with the dark red pieces I accidently snapped taking apart the Pharoah Quest biplane set last month. First time I ever snapped lego pieces and I was disassembling the thin 4 x 4 plates the same way I always do, but evidently torqued them too much. Still haven't gotten around to ordering new ones.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Had some break on me when I was maneuvering Shelob around, one her legs snapped off.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's just what spiders do.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Must be the same plastic the Hyundai Veloster is made from - I snapped my passenger door handle off yesterday.

I was only using the passenger door because the hatchback latch crumbled and fell out two weeks ago.

Will Lego customer service replace those?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The brown and dark red pieces had a long run of being brittle in their mixture. Lego should replace them no questions asked.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was taking apart my Ghostbusters fire hall to sell, and broke one of the dark red 1x2s, with no spare in the set. Ended up harvesting one from another set that I had 2 of lol.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1754368938455257502

One step closer to an official Lego Metal Gear set...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Skios posted:

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1754368938455257502

One step closer to an official Lego Metal Gear set...

Only I can build Metal Gear...

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That GWP space set looks badass. I'll wait for it to go on resale probably. I just picked up the Blacktron Cruiser, Majisto's workshop and Forest Hideout sets recently from various resellers and all cost between 35-40 bucks which is what that will most likely go for.

I just finished the blacktron cruiser yesterday and it's badass. I need to get a Galaxy Explorer next. I love the retro space stuff!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s amazing how slick their videos are.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
For those of you working on the Ornithopter like I am - how much range of motion is there supposed to be in the mechanism for the wings at the end of bag 3? It feels like I can barely manage a wiggle, and I'd rather know now that I did something wrong than by the time it's fully covered up.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
FWIW I was worried about that too and it got mildly better, just don’t expect bald eagle flaps, more of a slow whirrrrrr if you get the timing right with the button presses. Also I think the relevant parts are relatively easy to uncover later on if you wanna optimize things (which I didn’t, so grain of salt)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Skios posted:

For those of you working on the Ornithopter like I am - how much range of motion is there supposed to be in the mechanism for the wings at the end of bag 3? It feels like I can barely manage a wiggle, and I'd rather know now that I did something wrong than by the time it's fully covered up.

I was in the same boat. It’s gravity based so it feels like it’s not working until you do the final set in the set and attach the wings. The extra weight and leverage make the whole mechanism work. And the front set have more motion than the back from what I can see. I may have done something wrong but I couldn’t see where.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

smackfu posted:

Honestly their slick editing and producing can be a bit jarring for me sometimes. Like it feels like they're more so youtubers doing a lego thing than AFOLs doing a youtube thing. It's still some of the best lego youtube content out there though.

But nothing will ever beat the Brick Experiment Channel.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

smackfu posted:

Wanna hang out with these two and build legos.

Also gotta wonder what their day jobs are if they can afford a place like that in the Bay Area.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TK-42-1 posted:

I was in the same boat. It’s gravity based so it feels like it’s not working until you do the final set in the set and attach the wings. The extra weight and leverage make the whole mechanism work. And the front set have more motion than the back from what I can see. I may have done something wrong but I couldn’t see where.

I don’t own the set, but the video review I watched worked the same way. The whole thing looked really underwhelming, the wings barely seem to move at all. To the point where I don’t even know why they’d bother putting that mechanism in the set.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I went back to my parents place and finally picked up the last box I had left there and found all my Lego sets from the 90's I thought I had lost over the moves. I have nearly all of Ice Planet, Spyrius, and Aquanauts

I'm really sweating the Lion Knights Castle but 400 bux is a big ask. for less than that I could basically buy the entire Exploriens line

I played with my kid this weekend and it felt like being a kid all over again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you need some easy mental gymnastics you can do to justify the castle, it'll probably skyrocket in value after it's gone. It's that type of set for sure.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

If you need some easy mental gymnastics you can do to justify the castle, it'll probably skyrocket in value after it's gone. It's that type of set for sure.

oh 100% I would guess it jumps up to 550-600 ez when it gets retired. so if I regularly flipped things it's pretty much a sure thing

mostly I actually just like making little vignettes. I found a local run lego reseller and am going to the lego store later today to get bulk pieces to make some landscapes. anyone got links to some inspiration? obviously space, ice planet, and over/underwater

I forgot to mention I did find my '09 pirate ship and got the new Eldorado Fortress. I'm a sucker for Lego it was just the $400 sticker price of the castle that got my shook

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I've got 4 sets I'm at least interested in right now: the Kingfisher, the insect collection, the Piranha plant and the upcoming fox. Trying to otimise my buying for good GWPs and also not spending all my wages, is there a good calendar where I can check everything out and plan (UK)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

deoju posted:

Here's a comparison between New Trans-Black and Old Trans-Black (Trans-Brown) FWIW.

is the new trans-black made out of a different kind of plastic? i noticed that the parts felt... softer? sort of? than what i'm used to for transparent parts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m visiting my mum in the UK at the moment and it’s definitely time to move on from my childhood stuff that’s worth money. I’m leaving tomorrow but am back in May twice for a few days each, and trying to think of the best way to move my childhood Lego sets on.

I’ve catalogued everything into a spreadsheet, there’s not a huge amount - I’ve done 31 boxed items and noted whether they have manuals, minifigs, and whether it looks like the parts are complete without doing a complete strip down/build.

It’s virtually all mid 80s, 6xxx numbered stuff and a few 7xxx. Mostly smaller Legoland sets, some space, some Technics, and the best part - my 7745 trainset. Sadly there’s probably a box with a ton of minifigs in but I haven’t stumbled upon it tonight.

Anyone know how I should approach selling given the time constraints? eBay is probably gonna be too time consuming (esp as my girlfriend will be here and won’t want to spend her vacation boxing and photographing Lego) but maybe there’s people who’d be happy to buy stuff in bulk and not be too awful with the pricing?

Don’t even get me started on the (non Lego) Star Wars stuff. Not this time anyway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you can't verify accurate piece counts, don't bother. You're just asking for a headache down the road. If you sell on ebay, the buyer can easily open a return if they are unhappy. And BL is another can of worms. It's worth your time to do it the right way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah time is just the one thing I’m lacking, I wish I’d had chance to go through it over the last few weeks but it’s been family emergency stuff juggled with trying to work remote in a different time zone on an internet connection that mights well be made of LEGO. That’s a shame, I could probably put the best stuff aside and do counts on that when I’m back (at least one of them is sealed, so that’s an easy one) but definitely not the whole lot.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah time is just the one thing I’m lacking, I wish I’d had chance to go through it over the last few weeks but it’s been family emergency stuff juggled with trying to work remote in a different time zone on an internet connection that mights well be made of LEGO. That’s a shame, I could probably put the best stuff aside and do counts on that when I’m back (at least one of them is sealed, so that’s an easy one) but definitely not the whole lot.

can you not ship it to yourself and part it out later? I bulk sent my lego cross country for like $40

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I live in the US, so while possible the cost of the postage is gonna be pretty high for a package that big even if it doesn’t weigh a ton. I remember sending a cap from the US to the UK for my friend and that was $30!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Facebook groups have been good for selling for me. Get on a couple of big UK Lego B/S/T ones, and our stuff can be gone quickly if you’re priced to sell.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Go to Bricklink and check the average sold prices for the sets you know you have. They will sell for higher in the US. And if they aren't complete then just ballpark it at 50% of that is what you'd get for them.

Here's the thing, selling on BL tends to be slow. Things will sell over time but it's generally not quick unless your prices are really low. IE: the lowest available. And selling on Ebay you need to think "what would I want out of a buying experience?" Because if you don't provide that, you are giving the buyer the opportunity to request a return, which means you have to pay the shipping 2x for nothing. Or you just refund them and let them keep the set and you get nothing at all.

I'm not trying to make this seems hard for you. Just presenting you with the reality of the situation so you can make an educated decision.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

deoju posted:

Also, been planning this since the set was announced...

I said I would not SNOT them, and I shall not. But bricks are bricks and the studs take the weak. My studs. My bricks. My LEGO.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The_Doctor posted:

Facebook groups have been good for selling for me. Get on a couple of big UK Lego B/S/T ones, and our stuff can be gone quickly if you’re priced to sell.

That’s a good idea, might be able to find someone who might not be a million miles away interested in taking the lot. There’s enough time to organize it too while I’m in the states.

Waltzing Along posted:

Go to Bricklink and check the average sold prices for the sets you know you have. They will sell for higher in the US. And if they aren't complete then just ballpark it at 50% of that is what you'd get for them.

Here's the thing, selling on BL tends to be slow. Things will sell over time but it's generally not quick unless your prices are really low. IE: the lowest available. And selling on Ebay you need to think "what would I want out of a buying experience?" Because if you don't provide that, you are giving the buyer the opportunity to request a return, which means you have to pay the shipping 2x for nothing. Or you just refund them and let them keep the set and you get nothing at all.

I'm not trying to make this seems hard for you. Just presenting you with the reality of the situation so you can make an educated decision.

Yeah, the only way that might work due to the timespans needed is if I take a second suitcase with them back to the states with me, which isn’t actually impossible. A lot of them are so small it’s not worth it (they look to sell for about $10 each), but the more valuable ones that I’ve seen for $100+ are worth the effort.

And I appreciate just being realistic, I’ve definitely seen the price differences between complete/incomplete on eBay and I never want to try and pull the wool over people’s eyes and do my best to describe things well.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I live in the US, so while possible the cost of the postage is gonna be pretty high for a package that big even if it doesn’t weigh a ton. I remember sending a cap from the US to the UK for my friend and that was $30!

ahhh that makes way more sense. hilariously it might be cheaper to grab a used luggage and toss the Lego in there and take it on the plane with you

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha yeah, my return journey from memory actually has a 2nd checked bag that’s allowed, so it really isn’t the worst idea. Altho the temptation as usual is to fill it with more records, as I’ve been slowly moving my collection across for a decade now.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
think about it this way. selling these Lego means you're subsidizing your later trips. during which you can bring those records over. you're practically paying yourself to do it

what I can glean from bricklink and eBay is that complete sets can randomly print money

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Has anybody else had a problem with Bricklink where the scroll bar in your Chrome doesn't show up on pages that are more than one screen? I can't scroll with the page down/page up buttons or the scroll wheel on my mouse. I can zoom out to see more, but that just makes poo poo smaller.

It works in Edge, but, ehhh...

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
This guy is so cool.

Also, my thopter and a few other sets arrived. But I have no build time for the next few weeks due to ridiculous time frames required for home renovations. :rip:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha yeah, my return journey from memory actually has a 2nd checked bag that’s allowed, so it really isn’t the worst idea. Altho the temptation as usual is to fill it with more records, as I’ve been slowly moving my collection across for a decade now.

Check surface shipping too. If you're willing to wait potentially months there are dirt cheap ways to send stuff on boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I know I'm super new to this but a listing for the Technic Bell Osprey showed up in my Facebook marketplace today and I couldn't believe the price.

Until I looked it up. Got drat.

I assume someone in this thread has one though, right?