Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

listen, people are homeless in san francisco, so empty homes in bakersfield dont really matter! this is why we should bus them to manzanar,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lol the Oklahoma governor has ordered flags be flown at half staff tomorrow for toby keith, lol

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Branch Nvidian posted:

lol the Oklahoma governor has ordered flags be flown at half staff tomorrow for toby keith, lol

moment of silence in every I Love This Bar and Grill franchise

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Branch Nvidian posted:

there are folks who really do need killin’, but like well-read says here, I don’t feel that the state should be allowed to execute its citizens, regardless of what the person did. if someone comes along and murders the fucker on their own accord, then that person should be tried for murder, but with the knowledge of who their “victim” was and take that into account when sentencing them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

quote:

Over the course of his life, McElroy was accused of dozens of felonies, including assault, child molestation, statutory rape, arson, animal cruelty, hog and cattle rustling, and burglary.[2]

In all, he was indicted 21 times but escaped conviction each time, except for the last.[2][3] In 1981, McElroy was convicted of attempted murder in the shooting of the town's 70-year-old grocer Ernest "Bo" Bowenkamp.[1] McElroy successfully appealed the conviction and was released on bond, after which he engaged in an ongoing harassment campaign against Bowenkamp and others who were sympathetic to Bowenkamp, including the town's Church of Christ minister. He appeared in a local bar, the D&G Tavern, armed with an M1 Garand rifle and bayonet, and later threatened to kill Bowenkamp.[1][3] The next day, McElroy was shot to death in broad daylight as he sat with his wife Trena in his pickup truck on Skidmore's main street.[2] He was struck by bullets from at least two different firearms, in front of a crowd of people estimated as numbering between 30 and 46.[1] To date, no one has been charged in connection with McElroy's death.[1]

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i will be performing "should have been a cowboy" tonight at karaoke in solidarity with all true buckaroos

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

:hellyeah:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
during Covid lockdown in Melbourne they put a bunch of homeless people in hotels because there were no tourists anyway and they were trying to avoid Covid spread. there were a bunch of news stories about how those people had secure housing, access to hot water etc for the first time in decades in some instances and how much their lives improved. then Covid ended and they kicked them all out and back on to the street.

Covid wasn’t awesome of course but it did prove that change is possible, it’s just a matter of will.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

a number of cities in BC, my own included, have bought out motels to use as housing for the unhoused, and how good these are really depend on how theyre run

I remember some problems with some of them in southern bc, both in Victoria and Vancouver when trying to deal with the triple problem of homelessness/covid/overdose crisis, but also capitulating to NIMBYs in destroying their encampments. basically they’d tear down encampments then push people to go to the motels they secured but with onerous rules where you can’t have guests, and it became less safe than their own tent communities as people would then overdose and die, alone. some of these motels also became target of arsonists unfortunately

there are some that are better run at least

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

idk. Maybe we sohuld build housing

we have free housing for the homeless. it's called prisons.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's estimated that there are between 150,00 and 300,000 people that are homeless in canada

it is also estimated that there are about 1,340,000 vacant homes/apartments/etc in canada

I have an idea! If you can't find someone to rent your property for more than 90 days, it gets surrendered to the state to become public housing!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

akadajet posted:

we have free housing for the homeless. it's called prisons.

we started charging to stay in prisons a few decades ago

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i think vancouver has actually had quite a bit of success with vacancy taxes. america is too spineless to try it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

post hole digger posted:

i think vancouver has actually had quite a bit of success with vacancy taxes. america is too spineless to try it

Your average broke dipshit American would oppose it because on the off chance that he owns a rental some day in the distant future, he doesn't want to pay taxes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Your average broke dipshit American would oppose it because on the off chance that he owns a rental some day in the distant future, he doesn't want to pay taxes

I absolutely refuse to become a landlord.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

OldAlias posted:

a number of cities in BC, my own included, have bought out motels to use as housing for the unhoused, and how good these are really depend on how theyre run

I remember some problems with some of them in southern bc, both in Victoria and Vancouver when trying to deal with the triple problem of homelessness/covid/overdose crisis, but also capitulating to NIMBYs in destroying their encampments. basically they’d tear down encampments then push people to go to the motels they secured but with onerous rules where you can’t have guests, and it became less safe than their own tent communities as people would then overdose and die, alone. some of these motels also became target of arsonists unfortunately

there are some that are better run at least

yeah during Covid the homeless weren’t allowed to leave their hotels or have visitors, but neither was everyone else which simplified things. definitely problems to be solved but better than just kicking people out again.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i also miss covid

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wonder where it went

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

whats covid

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

whats covid

not much, what's covid with you?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
covid 19 is 5 years old really makes u think

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

post hole digger posted:

i mean, it's been phenomenally successful in getting those places occupied, but the only thing that's going to make a dent here is a hell of a lot of building

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
though i'm optimistic about reforms like that, it's really the land that has the value.

the house next door to me is a squatter shack with a bunch of other people's motorcycles and baby strollers in the back yard. the house is worth like $20k and will be torn down as soon as somebody pays the $600,000 that the lot is worth.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it's a good policy and it should be done everywhere. but rental vacancies are still less than 1%, and that's the one that really matters when you're looking for somewhere to live.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fabricated posted:

Again the funniest outcome is now Biden winning again. What even happens after that

no the funniest thing is Biden going autocrat after the Supreme Court rules that the President is absolutely immune from criminal prosecution, and establishing an imperial dynasty

tell me the “Emperor Biden” with his failson ready and eager to succeed him, all orchedard by Trump because it’s what he was trying to do, isn’t the funniest poo poo ever

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yes but israel/palestine is different you see because jews :ssh:

don’t underestimate the number of seemingly-normal people who uncritically accept biblical historicity, even among non-believers

it’s one of those areas so foundational for many people it never even enters their mind that it may be bullshit, at most they think some biblical stories are “interpretations of real events” rather than what they were: entirely made up excuses to do terrible poo poo

“you need to get off this land right now because a god just gave it to the group of us who worship him exclusively, if you don’t leave he says we get to enslave and/or kill you”

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

covid 19 is 5 years old really makes u think

covid 19 is actually 19 and 100% legal :quagmire:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Branch Nvidian posted:

I was trying to remember what year those were supposed to occur in

that and, if brexit plays its cards right, irish unification :getin:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

that and, if brexit plays its cards right, irish unification :getin:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm not quite sure on the timeline, are the bell riots in september prior to this?

Apr 7, 2003

The guy who helps the heroes land is named Lando

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

dioxazine posted:

i'm not quite sure on the timeline, are the bell riots in september prior to this?

it's not specifically stated. only that irish unification is in 2024, while the bell riots specifically occur in early september.

of course the various temporal incursions/cold war that occurred in voyager, enterprise, and that are mentioned in season 3 of discovery mean that the timeline is all hosed up now and some events have been shifted to later years, like how (strange new worlds spoiler) khan is still a child in 2023 now instead of being born in the late 70s/early 80s and coming to power in the 1990s like he originally did

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

star trek is fiction

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Branch Nvidian posted:

it's not specifically stated. only that irish unification is in 2024, while the bell riots specifically occur in early september.

of course the various temporal incursions/cold war that occurred in voyager, enterprise, and that are mentioned in season 3 of discovery mean that the timeline is all hosed up now and some events have been shifted to later years

it might also mean that fiction isn’t real irl

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

quiggy posted:

star trek is fiction

:pwn:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

quiggy posted:

star trek is fiction

fart simpson posted:

what the gently caress?????

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

so you mean china isn't collapsing every five minutes?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'd been wondering why i've never met any veterans of the eugenics wars of 1996

Apr 7, 2003

The "dark father" character is named "Darth Vader" (dutch for 'Father')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

The jazz music they play in space is called "Jizz"