Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Cat is probably okayer because of it -- they use radiation to treat thyroid issues, then the cat is kenneled for a few days because the residual radiation is too high, then once you bring the cat home they tell you not to let it sleep with you for a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

Will the cat be okay? :ohdear:

The video did not come to me with a backstory.

My guess is that the cat has been treated for hyperthyroidism, which usually goes well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes too much of the thyroid is lost, and then they have to go on medication to treat hypothyroidism for the rest of their nine lives.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Qwijib0 posted:

then once you bring the cat home they tell you not to let it sleep with you for a week or so.

I just can't resist those eyes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow a portable cat scanner!

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
3195 cats per minute? That's strange, I only see one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

`Nemesis posted:

Ft Drum housing

That's a whole lot of work to avoid notching the shelves in order to come straight down.

kid sinister posted:

I got a feeling that would look more normal if the dryer were situated along the right wall.

There is no situation where that would look normal.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

3195 cats per minute? That's strange, I only see one.

If you can see one there are 3194 others nearby

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

The video did not come to me with a backstory.

Update on this,

quote:

Yep; she had hyperthyroidism, so we had to get her radioiodine therapy. The thyroid absorbs the iodine, which then kills the tumors creating too many hormones. We shouldn’t be within 1 foot of her for more than an hour/ day for the next two weeks.

quote:

that’s really funny and i hope she’s ok

quote:

She should be! She was losing weight and behaving weird, so we took her to the vet, and he suspected hyperthyroidism and recommended blood testing. She did have it, and our two options were 2 pills a day for the rest of her life (she’s only 8) or the more expensive radiation therapy, which was definitely worth it. She will have a check up in a month, and if it didn’t work (~5% chance), they’ll do it again for free.

quote:

I believe she will be well, it's commendable that you did the right thing as soon as you noticed. Is there anything specific I should look out for as a fellow cat owner? My cat has been pretty passive and sleepy for her entire life, so I'm always a little bit scared that I might not notice a change.

quote:

The main symptoms of hyperthyroidism are weight loss and increased thirst + peeing. She was starting to pee outside of the litter box, so that’s also why we took her. As long as your cat’s coat looks healthy, it’s maintaining its weight, and its behaviors haven’t changed, then you can feel pretty comfortable with it. A few years ago we had to get her special food because she was getting some scabbing on her skin from food allergies, and that has gone away now (the food is super expensive tho)

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
We have 3 cats and the fattest, hungriest one needs a special food for a variety of reasons. Our options are to pay 2x as much for one cat and accept that he won't get the right food all the time because he steals the other cats' food or pay 2x as much for the whole bunch. Truly excellent.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Platystemon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/03PRjtw.mp4

This cat is broken. It’s not glowing.

Don't change color, kitty.
Keep your color, kitty.
Stay that pretty gray.
Keep your color, kitty.
Keep sickness away.
Keep your color, kitty.
Please, 'cause if you do,
or glow your luminescent eyes
we're all gonna have to move.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I also agree with whoever said "society doesn't even care about our current generation much less the next, why would we do anything about 10k years from now".

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Danhenge posted:

We have 3 cats and the fattest, hungriest one needs a special food for a variety of reasons. Our options are to pay 2x as much for one cat and accept that he won't get the right food all the time because he steals the other cats' food or pay 2x as much for the whole bunch. Truly excellent.

Microchipped food dishes are one option. Go to the cat thread in PI if you want more advice with this issue.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

`Nemesis posted:

Ft Drum housing

It's a passable vent for your lint P trap but you need to actually connect it to the fluff drain at some point

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's a passable vent for your lint P trap but you need to actually connect it to the fluff drain at some point

Could really do with a cleanout plug on the trap as well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Danhenge posted:

We solved that problem with a sewing-machine table. He couldn't get up there without expending extreme effort.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Danhenge posted:

You can use an electronic cat door to exclude the fatty from a room where the other 2 get fed:
https://www.chewy.com/cat-mate-microchip-cat-door/dp/202202

I suppose if you are willing/able to dedicate two rooms to cat feeding then you could give the third cat its own room too and keep the first two from eating the expensive food.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Having a pet with special diet needs and a second pet that could somehow survive on a diet of rocks and styrofoam peanuts really is a nuisance

One of our cats is allergic to chicken, which is in like every single cat food there is.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My idiot dog is allergic to meat.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Microchipped food dishes are one option. Go to the cat thread in PI if you want more advice with this issue.

Fat one jams his face into the microchip feeders, unfortunately. He's the sole reason we exercised our warranty on both of the original SureFeeds we got, he messed up the motors with his hungry face.

Vim Fuego posted:

You can use an electronic cat door to exclude the fatty from a room where the other 2 get fed:
https://www.chewy.com/cat-mate-microchip-cat-door/dp/202202

I suppose if you are willing/able to dedicate two rooms to cat feeding then you could give the third cat its own room too and keep the first two from eating the expensive food.

Now, that's an idea. Won't work in our current house but we've probably got a move in the next year ahead of us so there's always the future.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 7, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Danhenge posted:

Fat one jams his face into the microchip feeders, unfortunately

What’s his account name

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

What’s his account name

The_cactus_chewer has logged on

https://i.imgur.com/qpBd8r9.mp4

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Reddit OP posted:

My wife has been watching the tiktocs of people cleaning dryer ducting. This inspired us to clean ours. We have been in this home 7 years and just found out that the dryer is venting directly into the wall. Is this an old way they used to to it or is it just crappy workmanship that needs to be fixed? You can see the fluff I pulled out of the wall, all of this was below the vent hole.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

No. It is absolutely not any way that anyone should do this.

In fact, the fire loss I alluded to up-thread, which broke out just as the family was sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner, was caused by exactIy this.

Once fire gets in a wall, your odds of involving the entire structure rise dramatically. They can be hideously difficult to extinguish.

I could gladly live out my years without ever having seen one charred black turkey, still in the pan, the day after Thanksgiving.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I had an apartment once where the ceiling in the bathroom started getting moldy. When the landlady brought in someone to replace it, it turned out the ceiling fan was just venting into the ceiling.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cool Dad posted:

A friend of mine has a dog that can't digest food at all, so it has been taking special dog pills like every day for the last 15 years (it is a very old dog).

He says he feels like he leases the dog, given that he's been making "dog alive" payments the whole time.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

HappyHippo posted:

I had an apartment once where the ceiling in the bathroom started getting moldy. When the landlady brought in someone to replace it, it turned out the ceiling fan was just venting into the ceiling.

Inside my apartment bathroom fan is a tiny spinning rotor with an air freshener hanging on in front of it. It doesn’t even have a place to attach a duct. The bathroom is an inside room with no window. Yaaaay!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cool Dad posted:

Our idiot cat is allergic to protein.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Danhenge posted:

Fat one jams his face into the microchip feeders, unfortunately. He's the sole reason we exercised our warranty on both of the original SureFeeds we got, he messed up the motors with his hungry face.

Now, that's an idea. Won't work in our current house but we've probably got a move in the next year ahead of us so there's always the future.

At our last rental I replaced a closet door with a cheap door from Lowe's that I mounted the microchip cat flap in. Worked great.

You can also get a little storage cabinet from ikea or a litter box enclosure and install the door in the side of it (just screw/glue a sheet of white MDF over the litter box entry). If you do the ikea route just be sure to also put an LED light in there and cut some airflow openings in the back.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

HappyHippo posted:

Until recently, my downstairs bathroom fan was just venting into the joist bay above. The tube was there but it wasn’t connected to the fan. There was also no exhaust, they just…didn’t install one. The hole was there, but covered up by the lower trim board.

Discovered that during our patio addition, it properly vents through the patio roof now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So what you're saying is if your guests are out staying their welcome on the patio, you just have to go to the downstairs bathroom and let loose a particularly stinky one and turn on the fan.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
My bathroom fans vent directly vertical through the roof.

Which isn't worse than not venting outside at all, I'll grant you... but they don't make them like that anymore so they're impossible to replace. And they're prone to leaking. I hates them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

My bathroom fans vent directly vertical through the roof.

Which isn't worse than not venting outside at all, I'll grant you... but they don't make them like that anymore so they're impossible to replace. And they're prone to leaking. I hates them.

Huh? I installed a roof-vent style bathroom fan just three years ago. I think most bathroom vent fans themselves don't care where they vent to. Some might be easier to vent straight up vs horizontally because of the placement of vent hole on the fan unit itself, but a little flex ducting or 90 degree elbow fixes that.

I'll give you that they are more likely to leak than a horizontally vented one, just due to how water flows and the direction it tends to come from, but a proper install should keep it form leaking.

Fake edit: Granted, this is US-centric talk from my end, specifically for homes with gable-style roofs where venting vertically is typically easier than horizontal, because you aren't supposed to vent under the soffit. So if your bathroom isn't on the gable end of the house it's a much longer run of ductwork to vent on the wall vs the roof.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

No. It is absolutely not any way that anyone should do this.

In fact, the fire loss I alluded to up-thread, which broke out just as the family was sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner, was caused by exactIy this.

Once fire gets in a wall, your odds of involving the entire structure rise dramatically. They can be hideously difficult to extinguish.

I could gladly live out my years without ever having seen one charred black turkey, still in the pan, the day after Thanksgiving.

That is an image you could put on a fire safety poster to absolutely imprint the message on someone's mind.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh? I installed a roof-vent style bathroom fan just three years ago. I think most bathroom vent fans themselves don't care where they vent to. Some might be easier to vent straight up vs horizontally because of the placement of vent hole on the fan unit itself, but a little flex ducting or 90 degree elbow fixes that.

I'll give you that they are more likely to leak than a horizontally vented one, just due to how water flows and the direction it tends to come from, but a proper install should keep it form leaking.

Fake edit: Granted, this is US-centric talk from my end, specifically for homes with gable-style roofs where venting vertically is typically easier than horizontal, because you aren't supposed to vent under the soffit. So if your bathroom isn't on the gable end of the house it's a much longer run of ductwork to vent on the wall vs the roof.

I grew up in a mobile home, and the bathroom vent in there would have been a challenge to vent in any direction that wasn't straight up. It was, functionally, a chimney with a fan in it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Warmachine posted:

I grew up in a mobile home, and the bathroom vent in there would have been a challenge to vent in any direction that wasn't straight up. It was, functionally, a chimney with a fan in it.

Oh God, mobile homes. Flashbacks to about 7/8 years ago when my then-GF and her friend pooled their money to buy a mobile home for her mom because she was on the cusp of homelessness.

Every. drat. Weekend. that summer was spent fixing the place up. I redid the roof, because I was sort of a roofer once (did it for like four summers in HS and college for my uncle; so far from an expert) but I knew the most of any one of us working, so...yeah.

There were a couple sections of the roof sheathing I had to replace from rot, and that's when I found out mobile homes (at the very least THIS manufacture's mobile homes) constructed the roof trusses out of 2x2s. Not 2x6's or even 2x4's...2x2's.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

DrBouvenstein posted:

If they're venting horizontally they're wasting less energy fighting against gravity, and there's less chance of condensation dripping back down the shaft into the fan and loving it up, so you will generally have a fan that works better and lasts longer. Of course, if you're venting horizontally you also want a "valve" of sorts inside the shaft so high winds can't just blow right in through whatever hole or grille is on the outside. Sometimes straight up is the only option you have, but if you can make it horizontal, I would argue it is always the preferable solution.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think you're mistaking what I'm saying. The fan doesn't vent sideways *and then* up. It goes directly up. As in, when I take out the fan assembly I can see out the top of my roof. (The vent has a cap, but still...)

Warmachine posted:

It was, functionally, a chimney with a fan in it.

Yeah, this.

I was re-doing the bathroom ceiling and was going to replace the fan as part of it. I looked for a while and didn't find anyone that made straight vertical vents. A few places thought they did, but it turns out they were thinking what you thought (sideways with flexpipe into a vertical.)

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

So what you're saying is if your guests are out staying their welcome on the patio, you just have to go to the downstairs bathroom and let loose a particularly stinky one and turn on the fan.

Rented a walkout basement apartment once that the homeowner bragged he finished himself. I was smoking some tree and thought the bathroom plus the exhaust fan would be the best option since it was summer and the upstairs family were outside in the yard a lot, but the exhaust just went straight to their living room (which retroactively made me very self-conscious about all the dumps i took in there). He comes down one day and tells me this and that he explained it away to his wife as a skunk...then asks if he can bum some off me since "he doesn't do that anymore". I end up giving him a bag of brown leaves I already vaped and a week later he tells me how "fire" that poo poo was.

Wish I took a picture of the utility room he made to house the hot water heater and ethernet (together for some reason), it was incredible. A 3'x3' closet with windows-95 screensaver rear end plumbing that required you to Catherine Zeta-Jones your way for access, but damnit I needed internet and wasn't as fat back then so I did it.

Same guy didn't pay his HOA fee for trash pickup so my "fully furnished apartment" didn't include trash pickup because of the "bullshit" $17/month charge so I had to take my garbage to work. Also once told me "yeah income taxes are illegal and if you just fill out your taxes, mail them in but don't sign it you don't have to pay!" I replied "even if that's true the feds will still come for you" and his response was "oh yeah i'm being audited but they got nothing on me".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dance McPants posted:

He comes down one day and tells me this and that he explained it away to his wife as a skunk...then asks if he can bum some off me since "he doesn't do that anymore". I end up giving him a bag of brown leaves I already vaped and a week later he tells me how "fire" that poo poo was.

Renter-Landlord success story ♬♪☆彡

The trash and the taxes though, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Guy said he took his to the gas station dumpster. “That’s illegal, but could you take mine too?” “No it isn’t, but, Well, then I’d have to take more in my truck, and it’s not mine” “so’ fully furnished’ doesn’t include trash pickup?” “Sorry dude”