Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Antivehicular posted:

The WoL realizes too late that they're not really feeling it, but they don't want to disappoint anyone, so they pop over to the Crystal Tower to make an Allagan clone with all their skills but no memory, then points it at the boat

new characters stumble out of Solution 9 muttering weird cryptic things about being the 'familiar' of some larger-than-life character from Eorzea known as the WoL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

my estimation of the void arc (haha) is going to be entirely based on whether it is actually stealth setup for the next 10 years of story or not. remember there was a 4 year gap between the warriors of darkness and going to the first.

but until it has that payoff it is pretty filler, and at worst underserving a storyline that should have gotten a lot more

That's a good point but at the same time I don't think the WoD arc would be as well-remembered if it was all of 3.x instead of just .1 and .4

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The WoD arc had a bit of a reputation for being low quality filler back before Shadowbringers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hogama posted:

The WoD arc had a bit of a reputation for being low quality filler back before Shadowbringers.

Even now that's still accurate. It's a clunker of a story with its only hook being a meta in-joke, that happened to have a kinda good sequel.

EDIT: I never thought about it before, but I think it's genuinely my least favorite part of the story that doesn't hit a personal distaste in subject matter. It's just not good.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 7, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The WoD storyline reminds me a lot of Star Trek: TOS where so many episodes are an interesting concept that, by necessity of format, gets stretched like taffy to fit an overly long runtime.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Chillgamesh posted:

That's a good point but at the same time I don't think the WoD arc would be as well-remembered if it was all of 3.x instead of just .1 and .4

it's as well-remembered as it is primarily because of shadowbringers. at the time, a lot of people thought it was a really weird and elaborate way to put minfilia on a bus that didn't have much to do with the rest of the expansion

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I understand that. I am saying that if the arc took up 60% more of the patch story it would not be as well-regarded even in light of it being used as the basis for a compelling character in Shadowbringers. Comparatively, whatever 6.x is used as a basis for must be even more compelling to justify it being an entire .x storyline, or else it won't be remembered favorably the way the WoD story is.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my take on 6.x is that it's essentially FFXIV: the motion picture. they can decide to build on it going forward in future "seasons" or they might not. I'm okay with either.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I've done the post msq extremes close to release and barb's is the most fun out of the lot. great track too. golbez's fight is also very good.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I suspect we're going to get 6.x followup in an expansion or so down the road, but if not, that's fine. I feel like "restoring the Thirteenth is a job for the natives of the shard themselves, not anyone from the Source, and they're working on it" isn't a bad resolution to the plot if we never get back to it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's very funny that E7 is the weekly mogtome fight, because loving nobody remembers this fight lol. So many deaths.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thundarr posted:

It's very funny that E7 is the weekly mogtome fight, because loving nobody remembers this fight lol. So many deaths.

I got Dzemael Darkhold for my weekly and had an astoundingly clean run because it was super-obviously four vets who all got the same weekly and just wanted to be out of Darkhold asap

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my hot take on 6.x is that it was really good, actually

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kerrzhe posted:

Yeah, this is mostly where I'm at. It was a filler arc, but it was about as good a filler arc as its possible to get with the constraints they were working under.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I liked 6.x for what it was. I generally adjust my expectations for quality based on the realities of how something's being delivered, and I think they did a great job telling a tidy Final Fantasy story in the short time they had.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thundarr posted:

Had E2 for my weekly. Ez pz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I also get the vibe that squeenix is totally fine with people unsubbing for a while? Like, it's probably better that they get 18 months of sub off a 24 month cycle or whatever and their biggest fans come back in fresh, versus said players doing sidequests and Ugh Another Relic I Guess and then getting burnt when they aren't wowed by the new X.0 and ragequitting for a couple years.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

I also get the vibe that squeenix is totally fine with people unsubbing for a while? Like, it's probably better that they get 18 months of sub off a 24 month cycle or whatever and their biggest fans come back in fresh, versus said players doing sidequests and Ugh Another Relic I Guess and then getting burnt when they aren't wowed by the new X.0 and ragequitting for a couple years.

I mean, after doing this for 10 years, they've absolutely factored patch/expansion lulls into their financials and do various things to try and mitigate attrition without creating FOMO. Split content releases between .0 and .5 patches, more lower rent ongoing commitments (Island Sanctuary, relics, beast tribes), and more small group/midcore battle content (Savage Criterion, Bozja) have helped a lot by giving people reasons to stick around between big MSQ patches, and they've managed to do it without weird power gating ala Legion artifacts or battle passes. It's a commendable way of doing business in this day and age.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, that all makes sense. My big grumble, and i don't know how to solve this, is that people coming in late cycle don't really get to enjoy savage content unless they already got a patient Discord squad. Like i finished 6.0 in January, am sloooooowly chugging through edens and panda via PF over on Aether, but I know that i'll never get the same experience that the people coming in fresh at the start of each expansion get as far as 8man content goes.

It's why i'm making sure i'm absolutely as geared to hell and back as possible, and i've wandered through all the side content i desire, before DT hits. Cause after that original pictomancer grind (i am very, very excited about it) i want to find one of these mythical 'statics' and actually do cool poo poo on the level with them, without feeling like i'm being pity carried.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's rough, yeah. There's no real good way to solve it, since hard content like Savage raids necessarily self-selects for people who are interested in being on the bleeding edge of a challenge, so late arrivals are mostly either curiosity seekers or people who wanted to wait until gear and general knowledge advanced enough to lower the failure rate for doing it outside of a static. I think you can incentivize bringing in new learners with things like increased gear drops, but it's ultimately a problem that depends on the community for a solution more than the developers.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

My hope is that the 6.x patches are setting up my dream expansion of rebuilding both the first and thirteenth together

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pulling back a bit, have they announced any news after that fun 'cloud server' week we had? It felt very very nice on my keyboard, and i had a great time clearing the CT raids with a gimmick all-lala alliance on the last night. Are they gonna migrate any of the existing stuff forreal to whatever amazon EC2 fuckery they were testing then? Also from what i heard around the campfire, the game was actually playable in places like South America and Africa, which could bump the userbase a fair bit. My $2 bet is they'd start a new all-cloud datacenter for it, but.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

savage criterion is absolutely as hard or harder than savage raiding, people are just weird about it. same applies to deep dungeon soloing, tbh. small but dedicated community

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kerrzhe posted:

Yeah. I won't rate it as highly as 3.3, 4.3 or 5.3, but those are absurd finishes. 6.x was still a solid story with decent characters and some nice character moments. Really good trials involved as well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

savage criterion is absolutely as hard or harder than savage raiding, people are just weird about it. same applies to deep dungeon soloing, tbh. small but dedicated community

yeah, maybe "non-standard battle content" would be a better descriptor. just anything that's outside the standard paradigm of casual dungeon content and curated boss content

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Onean posted:

Don't sleep on the MGP cards if you haven't gotten everything you want from the Gold Saucer. (Or even if you have since they're constantly adding stuff to it, and having a leg up on the next however-many-million MGP mount they'll inevitably add will be nice.) They're the actual MGP currency and not the +X% buff tickets, 30 mogtomes for 50,000 MGP.

Another good thing to get are the guaranteed portal maps for anyone who wants to grind the achievements like me, or is poor. In the second part of the event they'll be adding level 90 maps as well.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I just kinda wish, idfk, they added some sort of off-patch cookie to encourage the dry spell? I guess that's what mogtome stuff is kinda supposed to be but it doesnt fill the gap.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

I just kinda wish, idfk, they added some sort of off-patch cookie to encourage the dry spell? I guess that's what mogtome stuff is kinda supposed to be but it doesnt fill the gap.

the wait does suck rear end if you're a big FFXIV head, without question, but there's not much substantive they can add to fill the full sixth month gap that wouldn't take away from expansion development

i think they'd do something if the hemorrhaging was severe enough, but there's enough draw for FFXIV as a social space and a casual content platform to weather the gap without having to do anything drastic, and the numbers tend to support that

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't raid so feel free to disregard what I'm about to say. From what I've heard, recent savage raids have been feeling uninspired while criterion fights have all been great but with poor rewards. So why don't they just cut out savage entirely and use criterion for gearing? Then they could allocate the saved resources to guaranteeing 2 or 3 ultimates per expansion or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

leaptosleep posted:

From what I've heard, recent savage raids have been feeling uninspired.

Not particularly.

And criterion, savage, and ultimate all have their own audiences.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, in the bigger picture i get it. i'm totally keeping myself busy with patch content and dabbling with eden/panda, finishing an old relic or two, and one night i literally just ran big 90 trial a dozen times in a row to cheer newbies on and get better at it myself. and i havent even touched that animal crossing island thing yall do. there's a lot to do. but some things just feel really locked into the Patch Cycle and if you arent there while the gettins good, you're outtie

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

leaptosleep posted:

I don't raid so feel free to disregard what I'm about to say. From what I've heard, recent savage raids have been feeling uninspired while criterion fights have all been great but with poor rewards. So why don't they just cut out savage entirely and use criterion for gearing? Then they could allocate the saved resources to guaranteeing 2 or 3 ultimates per expansion or something.

a lot of the complaints along those lines are from people who are always complaining about something, even if it's the literal opposite of what they asked for last time, because they're burnt out on the game but addicted to the MMO parts. or people included in the huge 5.3 new player wave who are just now running into the fact that ff14 is ultimately a very predictable game in more ways than one. the design constraints that jobs and raids are built around preclude a lot of really dynamic, twitch-reaction stuff in favor of elaborate puzzles and increasingly strict movement/memory games, and people who expect one but get the other end up disappointed with 14 raiding.

there are reasons to be dissatisfied with pandemonium outside of not having the right expectations, though. 100% uptime was far too free this time and they could have made it a bit more of a challenge to play around. also, the overall difficulty curve that's been in place since 5.2 isn't the best. i personally don't like having such a massive difficulty spike between the third and fourth fight of any given tier. 3-4 was much better than 7-8 and 11-12, but that's because first tier was a complexity reset so the upper bounds weren't as high, whereas the other two just felt like the jump between birds and eden-shiva, again.

oh and if they're stuck to door bosses, they should go back to the stormblood style of a short fight and then a full-length fight rather than two 2/3-length fights.

even with all this though i wouldn't say the fights have been uninspired. they're doing exactly what they were asked to do: weird stuff with arena shapes (again within the given design constraints), and existing mechanical concepts that haven't really been touched on much.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I'm lucky enough to still have jobs to level and things (been playing the game two years or so now). I can well see that I'll probably check out of it at the comparable point post-Dawntrail, even if it just meant just paying to keep my house but not otherwise logging on.

I also really wish there wasn't a feeling with Savage content of "do this straight away or you miss out". I was in a static this time but it didn't go too well, we only cleared P9S essentially because of attendance issues, but when it was good, it was really good. I want more of that. Have considered maybe switching FCs to find one I can vibe with in this sense, but I do like my current one even if it's not perfect.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

lines posted:

I'm lucky enough to still have jobs to level and things (been playing the game two years or so now). I can well see that I'll probably check out of it at the comparable point post-Dawntrail, even if it just meant just paying to keep my house but not otherwise logging on.

Paying your sub isn't enough to keep your house, you'll still need to log in and enter it every so often. (Or just log out in your house, and it'll refresh when you log in, I believe.) You'll get a few emails warning you before it's dismantled, so it doesn't come out of nowhere, but if you're not aware of the requirement it can be easy to overlook the emails going by past stories in this thread.

Onean posted:

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been more on my server yet, there's only two up right now around 300k and not even 20 maps have sold since reset, though it is middle of the day Tuesday. It'll pick up more tonight, and I'm curious how low it'll tank by the time I login in the middle of the night.

Surprisingly, it hasn't tanked as much as I expected. 170k is where it's sitting now. I was expecting like 50k.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Onean posted:

Paying your sub isn't enough to keep your house, you'll still need to log in and enter it every so often. (Or just log out in your house, and it'll refresh when you log in, I believe.) You'll get a few emails warning you before it's dismantled, so it doesn't come out of nowhere, but if you're not aware of the requirement it can be easy to overlook the emails going by past stories in this thread.

Surprisingly, it hasn't tanked as much as I expected. 170k is where it's sitting now. I was expecting like 50k.

Oh sure I could log on for that. It's like remembering to flip my mattress.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I login at least once (but realistically 2-3 times) a week for fashion report, jumbo cactpot and liquidating my saddlebag full of allagan coin to the domans.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mordiceius posted:

Feel free to ask any further questions.

I've been trying to decipher the Ocean Fishing guide timings as you demonstrated in your example and I think I've mostly got it understood, I even took a few swings yesterday, but I wanted to triple check:

Lets say a Fisherman's Intuition comes up and Lil Leviathan is the fish in question. So I drop a krill, hope for a Ghoul(use Mooch 2 if average, Patience/Perfect Catch/Mooch 1/Makeshift Bait if Mooch 2 is down), mooch a Gladius, then swap bait to plump worm and cast and hope for a !!! ?

And... I have to do all that within a minute? :kiddo: I get that fishing is difficult and you just take your swings in the proper execution and order and pray but drat, I've seen my bait lay idle for 20 seconds at a time.

At least in spectral virtually every cast returns a bite within 5 seconds. And thanks for the explanation of the two big point theories during spectral. It took me about a dozen ocean fishings to start to understand why I'd press any of my buttons other than Cast and Hook, lol, but this guide is very helpful once the newbie fisherman starts to understand their own basics.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Doomykins posted:

I've been trying to decipher the Ocean Fishing guide timings as you demonstrated in your example and I think I've mostly got it understood, I even took a few swings yesterday, but I wanted to triple check:

Lets say a Fisherman's Intuition comes up and Lil Leviathan is the fish in question. So I drop a krill, hope for a Ghoul(use Mooch 2 if average, Patience/Perfect Catch/Mooch 1/Makeshift Bait if Mooch 2 is down), mooch a Gladius, then swap bait to plump worm and cast and hope for a !!! ?

And... I have to do all that within a minute? :kiddo: I get that fishing is difficult and you just take your swings in the proper execution and order and pray but drat, I've seen my bait lay idle for 20 seconds at a time.

At least in spectral virtually every cast returns a bite within 5 seconds. And thanks for the explanation of the two big point theories during spectral. It took me about a dozen ocean fishings to start to understand why I'd press any of my buttons other than Cast and Hook, lol, but this guide is very helpful once the newbie fisherman starts to understand their own basics.

You're mostly right, but it's not quite that bad.

To get Little Leviathan, you need the Intuition buff. Once you have the buff, you switch to Plump Worm and Little Leviathan is a possible catch during the minute the buff is up.
To get the buff, you need to fish up one Gladius which you can get with Krill to catch Ghoul Barracuda --> Mooch to catch Gladius
But the one minute timer is not ticking there, it only starts once you actually have caught the Gladius.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Tamba posted:

You're mostly right, but it's not quite that bad.

To get Little Leviathan, you need the Intuition buff. Once you have the buff, you switch to Plump Worm and Little Leviathan is a possible catch during the minute the buff is up.
To get the buff, you need to fish up one Gladius which you can get with Krill to catch Ghoul Barracuda --> Mooch to catch Gladius
But the one minute timer is not ticking there, it only starts once you actually have caught the Gladius.

Ohhhhh. Whew. That's much less brutal. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's also worth noting with the intuition buff is that the important thing is getting your bait in the water before it expires. Even if the buff falls off, as long as you cast while it was active you have a chance to catch the fish you want. Kind of important for a few of the ridiculous ones that have 10 second intuition windows, but helpful for the longer ones too. This also applies to weather and time conditions for non-ocean fish.

The only thing that will invalidate a catch (other than moving) is if you're trying to catch a special spectral fish and the spectral weather ends before you reel it in.