Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish anthem was good it would have been something I'd enjoy if it delivered 75% of potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You jest but it had fantastic gameplay. It's just that literally everything else around the moment-to-moment gameplay was very poor. The dungeons, the characters, the writing, the loot & gearing, the voice acting, etc etc etc.
The first impression the game gave me back then was overwhelmingly positive, but it did not last.
To me it is the prime example of wasted potential. Bioware's ugly display of agonal breathing.

Yeah there was some cool stuff in there, and the suits were fun to jump and fly around in, but then every mission was basically playing hot/cold 3 times then shooting a wave or two of enemies. The Strongholds and boss fights showed some promise, but then the game got abandoned.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

exquisite tea posted:

I will never not find the Anthem "roadmap" funny. This should be blown up to 8:1 scale and displayed in a Museum of Failure.

This looks like the Suicide Squad roadmap

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mm, prescient.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I’m almost done with baldur’s gate 3… I can soon play something else on my backlog 🥲

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Debating whether to move on to finishing FFVII OG after I finish Infinite Wealth (which I'm only like, halfway through). I'm already past where I think Rebirth will end in OG FFVII, but it can't hurt to finish it I guess

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I definitely won't be playing the pervert game.

Oh, but what if I told you the studio has been in Korean news multiple times for misogynistic treatment of their female staff? And the local toxic gaming community cheers them on for it?

I really wanna like the new character action game with cool monster design because that is 100% my thing… but I think I am too skeeved out at this point.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Still waiting on Phantom Blade Zero

https://youtu.be/vxp91l_isDY?si=JEP4FeNdPPUHCTAB

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That game looks like bullshit tbh

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but i have a feeling that my games' play time keeps counting even after tabbing out of them using the ps button. it's not the biggest deal or anything, but what do y'all do short of putting the console in rest mode to keep the games from doing this?

just "tab out" to the regular dashboard with all the games in the 'games' tab?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kliras posted:

this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but i have a feeling that my games' play time keeps counting even after tabbing out of them using the ps button. it's not the biggest deal or anything, but what do y'all do short of putting the console in rest mode to keep the games from doing this?

tbh the possibility that my playtime is getting inflated bugs me to the point I don't really use rest mode very often anymore, just in case

and my infinite wealth playtime is still inexplicably several hours longer than what it says on my save file!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Arist posted:

tbh the possibility that my playtime is getting inflated bugs me to the point I don't really use rest mode very often anymore, just in case

and my infinite wealth playtime is still inexplicably several hours longer than what it says on my save file!

Ah that explains why I got 180 hours in Resident Evil 4 in just two months! It was counting when I wasn't playing! That's it!

no it wasn't I was an addict

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kliras posted:

Nothing short of defenestration will suffice.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don’t think there’s actually any way to make your PlayStation playtime estimate not a bullshit number.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Play time stats are wildly incorrect depending on where you look for them and I don’t think rest mode or idling on the dashboard really makes a difference, I wouldn’t even bother with anything other than the timestamp on your save file.

Most recently off the top of my head my console’s play time for God of War was 10 hours less than the timestamp on the save file I’d played entirely on the same console, and my end of year roundup thing from Sony had it down as being 10 hours more than that same timestamp. None of it is accurate.

If rest mode counted every game I play would have hundreds of hours on it because I’m always using rest mode between sessions, I don’t spend a lot of time with the console just sat idle so I don’t know how that would impact it but however you slice it it’s all hosed up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This all reminds me of when my Starfield playtime on Game Pass was at least twice my actual playtime. I wonder how they're getting these numbers.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
also reminds me of when i tried steam's refund system, and it wouldn't refund me for the game i had played for a total of ten minutes, because i exited it in a way where it continued to run in the background, thereby exceeding the play time limit for refunding

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

This all reminds me of when my Starfield playtime on Game Pass was at least twice my actual playtime. I wonder how they're getting these numbers.

App runtime versus actual ganeplay (not in menus and such) they are all doing it that way these days

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Arist posted:

That one makes sense because it’ll look better on GamepassEngagementMetrics.xls

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ShoogaSlim posted:

rolled credits on re7. i just started this past saturday and played a tiny bit each night until tonight where i could feel i was gonna breeze through till the end.

for such a small simple game, i'm shocked if it's anyone's top resident evil game. i thought it was ok. mostly it was like doing videogame homework to experience something that marked a big change of pace for the series. i can definitely see why fans gravitated to it for being what it was when it came out, but i don't think it's that great if you look at it by itself.

i'd say the beginning through the middle is the best part of the game, and then it kinda doesn't know what to do at the end and loses itself.

interesting experiment, and i'm glad i played it, but i'm also glad it was free on ps+ and i spent money on a used disc version at gamestop to get ray tracing graphics. the guy told me i could return it in under a week if there were any problems with the disc or specifically if i didn't like it or just beat it quickly lol. gonna go get my money back tomorrow.

4 and 7 down. on to 8 and then 2 after that.

Got to remember, when this came out the most recent game was Umbrella Corps, and an unusual (but really fun, in my opinion) episodic coop-focused game before that (Revelations 2). Seeing this game return to the series' horror roots was a breath of fresh air, one mostly free from all the weight of the lore that had sort of suffused the series. It was actually scary, with a novel environment that still had echoes of the first game, with a good amount of puzzles, while having gunplay but not being too actiony.

That said, the boat section is and was widely panned.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ZeeBoi posted:

I’m almost done with baldur’s gate 3… I can soon play something else on my backlog 🥲

Me but with RE4 Remake

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Me but with RE4 Remake

did you get the DLC

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

did you get the DLC

Not yet, but I'll most likely jump immediately into it once I finish the main game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bugblatter posted:

Oh, but what if I told you the studio has been in Korean news multiple times for misogynistic treatment of their female staff? And the local toxic gaming community cheers them on for it?

I really wanna like the new character action game with cool monster design because that is 100% my thing… but I think I am too skeeved out at this point.

Yikes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bugblatter posted:

Lol south korea

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

I will never not find the Anthem "roadmap" funny. This should be blown up to 8:1 scale and displayed in a Museum of Failure.

I look at it ending with The Cataclysm and think, did they know?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Rollerdrome looks extremely fun. Sort of like Jet Set Radio plus Rollerball.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Is anyone adding this to the grand catalogue of reasons Korea has a birth rate of 0.65?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shammypants posted:

Is anyone adding this to the grand catalogue of reasons Korea has a birth rate of 0.65?

gross

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

Rollerdrome looks extremely fun. Sort of like Jet Set Radio plus Rollerball.

Yeah it’s a good time, I bought it at launch and enjoyed it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

exquisite tea posted:

Props to the devs for going meta on the whole "world abandoned by the gods before it was finished" thing

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Judging by the new FF7 stuff it sounds like they are cutting this game off at the end of disk 1 from the original? It's kind of the natural breakpoint, and probably the best place for a big metaplot-diversion since that seems to be the running theme of the remakes. I'll get the demo and see what they got going on at least.

So was I the only one unironically hyped for Death Stranding 2? There was so much about the first game I loved. It seems like this one is going to go into weird "Kojima misremembering things" tangents about AI with the robot people. Can't wait to spend hours walking through a wasteland carrying cargo only to fight Cyborg Rockerboy Kefka with a stick.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Shammypants posted:

The gently caress are you on about pal, who you talking to

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

So was I the only one unironically hyped for Death Stranding 2?

No? Everyone was losing their drat minds over it

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Re: Playtime, I'm not sure if they fixed this bug but if you have two users on the same Playstation, the other person's play time would count for you if you shared a purchased game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Literal lmao at a 49GB demo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have always believed that when you see a game with more playtime in the system menu than on your save, that's because the save is not counting sessions where you died and/or reverted to checkpoint. It discards the few minutes you spent on the failed attempt and restarts its count from what the play clock was at when the save was created. The system play tracker doesn't do this and includes all that time

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

DeathSandwich posted:

So was I the only one unironically hyped for Death Stranding 2? There was so much about the first game I loved. It seems like this one is going to go into weird "Kojima misremembering things" tangents about AI with the robot people. Can't wait to spend hours walking through a wasteland carrying cargo only to fight Cyborg Rockerboy Kefka with a stick.

I've played the first game already but after watching the trailer for 2, I've bought a copy of the Director's Cut on Steam and plan to play through it again before 2 comes out. In a way I'm glad it's not releasing this year so I can take my sweet time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

I have always believed that when you see a game with more playtime in the system menu than on your save, that's because the save is not counting sessions where you died and/or reverted to checkpoint. It discards the few minutes you spent on the failed attempt and restarts its count from what the play clock was at when the save was created. The system play tracker doesn't do this and includes all that time

There’s probably something like that in play but it still wouldn’t account at all for whatever wackiness is going on in a case like my example with the system having 10 hours less play time than the actual game.

Ultimately it’s a pretty meaningless number unless you desperately want to know exactly how much of your life you’ve wasted on the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm getting it day 1. I just love the game's concept of turning the simple act of traversal into a sort of puzzle. I hope that a) they have logs or music you can listen to in-game diegetically and b) there are more areas like the first one in DS1. There was something I really liked about that valley that really hammered home the game's beauty and the strength of the core mechanics.