Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I did not know he was still alive. 'Til y'know, now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMg2xN-qZY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I'd never heard of him until I saw the Super Mario Bros. (1993) 4K restoration a few months ago, and wondered who that guy was playing Toad.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

NikkolasKing posted:

So Tom Cruise is possibly my favorite living, big time actor. Not the best actor ever but I've never been disappointed by a performance from him, even if he's in a meh movie.

If you have any suggestions for what to watch next besides Magnolia, I'd love to hear them.

I hated Jerry Maguire (1996) on instinct for most of my life because I grew up during all the pop culture hubbub around it, but I finally watched it a few years back and it's wonderful. Cruise just absolutely oozes charm throughout the whole thing and all the cheesiest and most cliche moments are saved by him committing to it 100%. Like Rain Man (1988) used to be a pretty big part of the Tom Cruise non-action canon but I don't think it really holds up decades later whereas Jerry Maguire totally does.

Also gotta throw Eyes Wide Shut (1999) in there which I'm usually pushing in any conversation about Kubrick, I think it's one of his best. Very different energy from all of Cruise's action roles but also from a lot of his charming rom-com roles. A dark and weird movie but a lot more fun than most people expect. And he just absolutely kills it of course.

Oddly I've still never seen Magnolia (1999), I should change that.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Collateral, man. Nasty little cheeky viper in that. Kicks rear end

Think It was the first major motion picture shot on digital

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 8, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Now we don't got Mojo Nixon and the world could use some fixin'.

This is how I found out :( His family put out an excellent statement though:

“August 2, 1957 — February 7, 2024 Mojo Nixon. How you live is how you should die. Mojo Nixon was full-tilt, wide-open rock hard, root hog, corner on two wheels + on fire…,” his family shared in a statement to Rolling Stone. “Passing after a blazing show, a raging night, closing the bar, taking no prisoners + a good breakfast with bandmates and friends.“A cardiac event on the Outlaw Country Cruise is about right… & that’s just how he did it, Mojo has left the building,” his family’s statement continued. “Since Elvis is everywhere, we know he was waiting for him in the alley out back. Heaven help us all.”

NikkolasKing posted:

So Tom Cruise is possibly my favorite living, big time actor. Not the best actor ever but I've never been disappointed by a performance from him, even if he's in a meh movie.

Anyway, I'm setting out to watch all movies with him. I'm not going in any real order, although multiple lists I've consulted say Magnolia is the best. Right now I've just re-watched A Few Good Men and Mission: Impossible, and I've seen Minority Report, Edge of Tomorrow, Ghost Protocol, and Oblivion for the first time. Tomorrow gonna re-watch War of the Worlds.

At present my ranking would be:
A Few Good Men > Oblivion > Edge of Tomorrow > Minority Report > Mission Impossible > Ghost Protocol.

I've heard all the new MI movies praised a lot, but I dunno. Neither the original nor GP did much for me at all. Minority Report was probably the most disappointing in that I wanted to like it and it turned out merely okay. I blame this on the humor like I commented earlier.

A Few Good Men is still an outstanding movie, IMO. Kinda understandable Nicholson's speech at the end is the most famous part but it's a great film from beginning to end and everyone is fantastic in their role.

Oblivion had such awesome music and I did find the mystery intriguing. Not an oh my god amazing film or anything but I liked the story and characters. I think I'm just not an Action Movie guy. Edge of Tomorow was a lot of fun but I preferred how slow and far more focused on mystery and drama this was.

If you have any suggestions for what to watch next besides Magnolia, I'd love to hear them.

My wife and I did this, we went in order. Our tastes may vary but the best Cruise movies are: Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Collateral, Top Gun/Top Gun: Maverick, Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with the Vampire, Edge of Tomorrow, War of the Worlds, and Taps. Taps in particular is a real sleeper, his first meaty role and it's a strikingly direct and vicious movie, don't overlook it.

Bottom 10:

10. Oblivion
9. The Mummy
8. Rain Man
7. Lions for Lambs
6. Jack Reacher (I don't care if Werner Herzog has one good scene, the movie wastes him and is boring as hell beyond that)
5. The Last Samurai
4. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
3. Endless Love (his first movie, he's in it for literally a minute halfway through, has a good scene stealer moment, and then never shows back up. But if you're gonna watch em all you gotta commit)
2. Valkyrie
1. Losin' It

edit: Don't forget his cameo in Austin Powers in Goldmember. Which, no, does not make my Bottom 10.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 8, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Collateral and Magnolia are easily his best performances. Eyes Wide Shut is also a movie that straight up doesn't work if you don't have Cruise in the lead role. The Color of Money is also a lesser film of his, but incredibly interesting. Scorsese slumming it on a sequel, Paul Newman passing the torch, the fascinating difference in tone between it and The Hustler. You do need to see The Hustler before it, but that movie is also a classic so it's no great ask.

A lot of people also like The Form but I can never see it as anything but a weaker Devil's Advocate.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, The Firm is kinda boring. Did not care for that one.

Eyes Wide Shut is a masterpiece and Cruise's performance is really stellar. I hate the suggestions that Kubrick used him because he's a "blank slate" or something like that, cause he's really quite nuanced especially in that role. It's a comedy all about how Tom Cruise can't get laid!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Honestly I'm not sure there's s a movie that Tom Cruise was the let down. Some sucked, but not hard, and it can't really be pinned on his performances

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Interview With the Vampire pretty much the only Tom Cruise performance i really need

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He's so short

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Interview With the Vampire pretty much the only Tom Cruise performance i really need

Interview With a Vampire is a good Cruise performance, but at max it's the second-best use of him as an actor after Eyes Wide Shut

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

Honestly I'm not sure there's s a movie that Tom Cruise was the let down. Some sucked, but not hard, and it can't really be pinned on his performances

He has a pretty good hit rate. Which suggests either that he has good taste and instincts, and/or is advised by someone who does and he's smart enough to trust them.

Has anyone mentioned his pretty amazing cameo in Tropic Thunder?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Brad Pitt on the other hand. What a dim oval office

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't really agree. I feel like Pitt has been in more films but his hit rate is pretty good too. And I don't think he's that dumb.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I liked The First Weeaboo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look at Brad's work producing before you call him dim.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

therattle posted:

I don't really agree. I feel like Pitt has been in more films but his hit rate is pretty good too. And I don't think he's that dumb.

The man can't read

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Look at Brad's work producing before you call him dim.

... no?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

it's legit shocking how bad Pitt is in it lol. i always forget that he didn't really learn how to act til the late '90s

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Interview With a Vampire is a good Cruise performance, but at max it's the second-best use of him as an actor after Eyes Wide Shut

Eyes Wide Shut is a good use of him as a screen presence, Interview With the Vampire is a great use of him as an actor

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've always been puzzled by all the people who love him in 12 monkeys (always felt grating to me even as a kid) but to each their own

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
1. Les Grossman Tropic Thunder
2. Stacee Jaxx Rock of Ages
3. Vincent Collateral

Top Tom Performances

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I've always been puzzled by all the people who love him in 12 monkeys (always felt grating to me even as a kid) but to each their own

Big same. He's a huge part of why I just can't click with that movie.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Eyes Wide Shut is a good use of him as a screen presence, Interview With the Vampire is a great use of him as an actor
pondering "who had their career-best performance in a kubrick film" and can only think of arguables like george c. scott, peter sellers, malcolm mcdowell. never seen anything else douglas rain did, but that may be the winner by default

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's legit shocking how bad Pitt is in it lol. i always forget that he didn't really learn how to act til the late '90s

In what? I straight up don't like that guy. Except he's hot

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

In what? I straight up don't like that guy. Except he's hot

i think he's good in Fight Club. you can see the gears start to turn in Seven, he still seems like a dumb young shithead in it but that's what the role calls for.

like a lot of people, he gave his best ever performance for the Coen brothers (Burn After Reading)

Coaaab posted:

pondering "who had their career-best performance in a kubrick film" and can only think of arguables like george c. scott, peter sellers, malcolm mcdowell. never seen anything else douglas rain did, but that may be the winner by default

McDowell probably qualifies, although I love him in Lindsay Anderson's movies. while I do think George C. Scott gives the best performance in Dr. Strangelove, I don't think you could call it his best performance overall.

Full Metal Jacket has a couple contenders (Matthew Modine, Vinnie D'onofrio, and of course R. Lee Ermey)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Ah poo poo Burn After Reading. Single funniest facial expression in movies I take it back

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Cruise's strongest performances are the ones that take advantage of the fact that underneath his surface level charm he's an undeniably weird and off putting guy. He's fun in stuff like the MI movies or Last Samurai but he really shines when he's playing some kind of weird creep like in Magnolia, Interview with the Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut, or Collateral.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think the trouble with claiming Eyes Wide Shut as a performance highlight for Cruise is not only does he get blown off the screen in pretty much any scene he shares with Nicole Kidman (understandable) but in one scene he gets blown off the screen by Alan Cumming

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

but in one scene he gets blown off the screen by Cumming
Yeah but Alan Cumming and Nicole Kidman are both people I'd say are easily better actors than Tom Cruise. Like why is that less understandable? Alan Cumming is good even if he's mostly known for hacky poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 8, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow Alan cumming has been in a ton of bad movies though looking at his career. I guess I get it. I just always think he has the capability even if he doesn't demonstrate it much. Cumming is good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Coaaab posted:

Kirk Douglas best role is in Paths of Glory. Shelley Duvall in Shining. I might make a case for James Mason in Lolita.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I assume Alan Cumming is all classically shakespeare trained and stuff and that's great but i can't look at him without thinking of his extremely grating role as "i'm invincible!" guy in Goldeneye

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just have childhood fondness for that guy cuz he was a hilariously bad character in the game and movie. It's also already a very cheesy and hacky fun James Bond movie so Boris?? doesn't even stick out that much to me.
Like rewatching X2 (which holds up as like, better than basically every MCU film or "modern" superhero movie), it's clear Alan Cumming has a lot of roles I'm fondly nostalgic for cuz of my childhood (see also Titus, Romy & Michelle). We used to have blue men talking about how Jesus loves us even though we're gay.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

he did make a good Nightcrawler and that's my favorite comic book character so to be clear i have no smoke with Alan Cumming (although when he pops up in Goldeneye i am like "man i wish this guy would be Alan Going")

i also liked him in Josie and the Pussycats.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gaius Marius posted:

Kirk Douglas best role is in Paths of Glory.
kirk douglas starred in ace in the hole

quote:

Shelley Duvall in Shining.
shelley duvall starred in 3 women

quote:

I might make a case for James Mason in Lolita.
james mason starred in a star is born

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I cannot in good faith say the best George C Scott performance was Dr Strangelove. There's just so much shouting goodness to be had in his career. It's gotta be Exorcist III for me but there's a lot of runners up.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

The man can't read

I just listened to an interview with him to check and he isn't super fluent and articulate but there is some substance and thought to what he is saying. He's no Paul Giamatti or PSH (where they are/were clearly highly intelligent men) but I don't think he's a fool.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Alan Cumming was insanely good as the MC in Sam Mendes' staging of Cabaret. But yeah he picks some crap roles. I don't think he gives too much of a poo poo about movies tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

He's so short

Just rewatched War of the Worlds (2005) and the least believable thing in there is Tom squaring off against Tim Robbins