Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I can't believe how absolutely horrible Steelrising feels to play, especially after playing through Lies of P a few months ago. Phew. I don't know if I can continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is helldivers 2 fun solo or do you have to have a #squad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Helldivers is really fun

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It honestly seems like everyone hates SS because of expectations behind the studio, not the game itself. Must suck for Rocksteady watching everyone accept Helldivers 2 with open arms lol

I think many have felt that SS looks a bit poo poo for at least a year and their suspicions turned out to be more true than not, whereas Helldivers II didn't hype up or sell itself as god's gift to live service gaming early on, or a cynical attempt to cash in on a licensed IP, and is punching way above its weight in the category delivering hardcore sequel to a beloved niche title.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is helldivers 2 fun solo or do you have to have a #squad

It's probably fun enough, but it shines with the chaos of a squad. I'm not sure how it scales missions to having fewer helldivers.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I don't think Rocket League would fall in this category as there is nothing you can earn or buy that alters the games mechanics in your favor. AFAIK it's just 100% cosmetics?

A lot of service games sell only cosmetics. Particularly the ones that center on pvp, no one wants their game declared pay2win. Warzone, Fortnite, and Fall Guys come to mind. There have been a few occasions where Warzone added a purchasable skin that made players harder to spot and it always causes an uproar.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think many have felt that SS looks a bit poo poo for at least a year and their suspicions turned out to be more true than not, whereas Helldivers II didn't hype up or sell itself as god's gift to live service gaming early on, or a cynical attempt to cash in on a licensed IP, and is punching way above its weight in the category delivering hardcore sequel to a beloved niche title.

I haven't played SS yet, but nothing about it seems like a cynical cash grab to me. maybe a game that was retooled too late in the dev cycle. Not sure what a 'hardcore' sequel means but I'll take your word for it lol. I'm downloading now.

acksplode posted:

A lot of service games sell only cosmetics. Particularly the ones that center on pvp, no one wants their game declared pay2win. Warzone, Fortnite, and Fall Guys come to mind. There have been a few occasions where Warzone added a purchasable skin that made players harder to spot and it always causes an uproar.

That's a good point. I was equating live service with pay2win mechanics for some reason.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So. How many years until Master Chief armor in Helldivers?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The REAL Goobusters posted:

bro are you seriously 50
Nah

I'm 52 :shepicide:

Anyway, it's cool being an old lady who plays a shitton of videogames. Played all kinds of poo poo from Pong to Bloodborne, the OG FFVII and I'll be playing the one coming out in a couple weeks.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Hell yeah, old people rule. These kids don't know poo poo. "My first console was a 360 and I don't capitalize when I type wah wah wah."

Anyway, Ranked mode is in Foamstars and 3 of my matches have errored out when one team started losing. Not foamy and chill at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I got a bit gun shy about buying Helldivers at the last second. I liked the first one but I was a bit worried it would be like so many co-op shooters that make me literally fall asleep while playing after watching the previews. After about 3 hours I think it captures the fun of the original really well and is exactly what I was hoping for. Honestly the most I have enjoyed a co-op shooter in a really long time.

The only concern I have is that I'm not sure how long it'll take for it to start feeling samey. I think it'll last $40 long for sure at the very least though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I haven't played SS yet, but nothing about it seems like a cynical cash grab to me. maybe a game that was retooled too late in the dev cycle. Not sure what a 'hardcore' sequel means but I'll take your word for it lol. I'm downloading now.

That's a good point. I was equating live service with pay2win mechanics for some reason.

I didn't say 'cash grab'. My definition of cash grab isn't something that spends 10 years in dev hell, but it certainly is 'cashing in' on the DC license using cynical game design techniques that everyone identified from the very first moment it was shown. The reason I used the term 'hardcore' to define HD2's gameplay is because it hasn't been dumbed down almost at all from the original release, which could be a very alienating game. In fact, they've made almost everything more complex and involved. It rules.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I didn't say 'cash grab'. My definition of cash grab isn't something that spends 10 years in dev hell, but it certainly is 'cashing in' on the DC license using cynical game design techniques that everyone identified from the very first moment it was shown.
It's not like they whipped this up in 9 months like loving Gollum. A ton of effort appears to have put into the story, characters and performances, according to most reviews. have you played it? I haven't, so maybe I'm way off.

The reason I used the term 'hardcore' to define HD2's gameplay is because it hasn't been dumbed down almost at all from the original release, which could be a very alienating game. In fact, they've made almost everything more complex and involved. It rules.

I haven't played the original so I missed that connection, my bad. I just completed my first mission solo, and it has a much more tactical feel than I thought it would. Your character has a good sense of weight and momentum, and there's different kinds of prone you can enter. I can see the term hardcore applying here, like a day z or MGS where there's lots of fidelity to your movement.

On PC the shortcut to do your special move(s) is ctrl + wasd. It's so bad.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Arist posted:

I would do the same thing with episodes of MST3K, actually. I would load all nine parts on my laptop at the start of the day (back when you could get YouTube to buffer an entire video in advance, RIP that) and watch those with headphones on during study hall or whatever, lol

Oh jeez I thought I was the only one

Anyway, I’ll probably get Helldivers 2 once my Helldivers 1 buddies grab it, no rush

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

edit wrong thread

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Does the audio output "switch automatically" option do anything for you?
Doesn't seem to work for me. I have a wireless headset, sometimes I plug in a wired headset in my controller and sometimes I just want the sound to come out of my TV.
I basically have to manually switch the output every time I start my playstation...

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I am pleasantly surprised by helldivers 2 performance mode. The quality mode is incredibly choppy with the worst frame-pacing I've ever seen, but performance mode is virtually locked 60fps, and there's the very rare occasional 1-2fps drop when you're bombing a big nest with a few dozen bugs on screen but it's undetectable to me since I'm using a VRR display. They did a grand job. I was worried from the pre-release footage which had bad framerates. Guess they were using PC footage, heh.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Despite my momentary wobbling last night Lies of P remains to be very very very good. I think the thing what sets it apart from other souls-likes is that instead of trying to differentiate itself from From's games, instead of attempting to create mechanics to distance themselves from From's formula, they have taken wholly from From's oeuvre and innovated upon it. There are little touches here and there and each one an incredibly satisfying and elegant solution from the melding of bloodborne's rally with sekiro's blocking/parrying, to the last stand estus recharge, the reusable grindstone that allows you to apply an elemental effect to your weapon once per life. In effect Lies of P remains a technical exercise like that of an artist attempting to paint in the style of another, but through exacting talent and vision Neowiz have not only managed to create a convincing likeness, but a work of great aesthetic beauty in its own right

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Does the audio output "switch automatically" option do anything for you?
Doesn't seem to work for me. I have a wireless headset, sometimes I plug in a wired headset in my controller and sometimes I just want the sound to come out of my TV.
I basically have to manually switch the output every time I start my playstation...

Weird, it has always auto switched instantly for me (meaning it plays through the sound system by default but switched to headphones if they’re plugged in or paired). I use a pretty decent mix of sound system, wired headphones, and bluetooth. PS4 also worked identically.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

I got a bit gun shy about buying Helldivers at the last second. I liked the first one but I was a bit worried it would be like so many co-op shooters that make me literally fall asleep while playing after watching the previews. After about 3 hours I think it captures the fun of the original really well and is exactly what I was hoping for. Honestly the most I have enjoyed a co-op shooter in a really long time.

The only concern I have is that I'm not sure how long it'll take for it to start feeling samey. I think it'll last $40 long for sure at the very least though.

seems to be a hit on steam at least, which might give it some more longevity (gaas-wise).

the clips i've seen make it look like dumb chaotic co-op fun.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Yakuza 8 like a dragon infinite wealth is a very good ps5 game. A goat, one would say

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Paying2Lurk posted:

Hell yeah, old people rule. These kids don't know poo poo. "My first console was a 360 and I don't capitalize when I type wah wah wah."

Anyway, Ranked mode is in Foamstars and 3 of my matches have errored out when one team started losing. Not foamy and chill at all.

It's baffling that the game just kicks everyone out if someone disconnects.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Quick tv question — the LG C3 is the OLED tv everyone recommends, right? I see there’s also a cheaper version, the B3, is that one way worse or what?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Asteroid Alert posted:

It's baffling that the game just kicks everyone out if someone disconnects.

Yeah, that's going to kill the game faster than any battle pass or mtx shenanigans.

There's a FriYay thing going now where you can play as the character they're adding next season, Coiff Guy. I think it only runs a few times today for 2 hours each time. You get some xp for doing it. Nice of them to assume the game will last long enough to get another season, I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Quick tv question — the LG C3 is the OLED tv everyone recommends, right? I see there’s also a cheaper version, the B3, is that one way worse or what?

From what the internet is telling me the B3 has less HDMI ports and doesn’t get quite as bright but is otherwise largely the same. I have a C series and absolutely recommend it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Only yhe C3 or G3 if you got cash are worth it. Don't compromise. Just save a bit more to get the C3.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
In yakuza 8, like a dragon 2: infinite wealth, they give ichiban a "aloha" command which involves him waving or twisting his wrists with the thumb and pinky extended, simply by pressing square at any time and sometimes he says "hellloooo" like dougie from twin peaks season 3. This is one of the many reasons its the 2024 goty and no anime grunt remakes could ever hope to top it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can press square as Kiryu too but nobody wants to be his friend I guess :smith:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What is the helldivers 2 progression like? Can you incrementally level up over time? That's all I ask

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I haven't played SS yet, but nothing about it seems like a cynical cash grab to me. maybe a game that was retooled too late in the dev cycle.

I am still mildly salty about Suicide Squad, but the big differences to me are that it's a $70 game with a campaign that comes in at UNDER ten hours, and the vast bulk of it is doing the same handful of open-world procgen-style mission types, rather than uniquely-designed missions that would fill the campaign with cool set-pieces. And they also took four different existing supervillains and distilled them all down to the same "shoot gun and jump around" gameplay rather than build unique playstyles around their powers and abilities, which, combined with everything else, feels really lazy.

I woulda been a Day 1 buy if there was at least a reasonable campaign to play through, but from all accounts they created a fun-looking (but slightly half-baked) combat system and then half-assed everything around it (except the voice acting and cinematics, which from what I've seen are pretty good.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am on chapter 8 of Infinite Wealth, and im kinda scared to continue cause the story is going dark places with a character I love. :/

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just go back to Dondoko Island.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

RC Cola posted:

What is the helldivers 2 progression like? Can you incrementally level up over time? That's all I ask

There is no traditional "level up", all your stats are determined by your gear: armor, accessory, weapons and stratagems.

Exploring the levels, completing objectives and successfully extracting will net you different currencies that you use to purchase gear and upgrade stratagems.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's not like they whipped this up in 9 months like loving Gollum. A ton of effort appears to have put into the story, characters and performances, according to most reviews. have you played it? I haven't, so maybe I'm way off.

Not to belabor this point here, but this isn't even the first recent release where I've wondered what the hell they spent all that time on. In both Suicide Squad and Starfield, games that have been worked on for almost a decade, I'm kinda drawing a blank to figure out what on earth took them so long. Is it just that it's as time-consuming to refine your procgen tools as it would be to actually design a game? Suicide Squad to me feels like they developed half a game -- they built an open-world city, designed a combat system, and then just threw in generic missions that could be procgenned rather than design a proper campaign with memorable locations and encounters. Starfield is kinda similar -- it's just the same open-world gameplay as Fallout 4, same middling gunplay, same lovely animations and flat face-to-face dialogue scenes, and they designed a mediocre spaceship mode and some simple-to-plot linear missions that don't have any reactivity or consequences that would take effort to implement.

Like, I just don't fundamentally understand what is taking them 9 years to figure out when they're just ignoring or recycling so many important pieces of the design. Does it just take THAT much time just to get a modern gameplay engine going? Hell, Baldur's Gate only took 6 years and gave us that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Phenotype posted:

Not to belabor this point here, but this isn't even the first recent release where I've wondered what the hell they spent all that time on. In both Suicide Squad and Starfield, games that have been worked on for almost a decade, I'm kinda drawing a blank to figure out what on earth took them so long. Is it just that it's as time-consuming to refine your procgen tools as it would be to actually design a game? Suicide Squad to me feels like they developed half a game -- they built an open-world city, designed a combat system, and then just threw in generic missions that could be procgenned rather than design a proper campaign with memorable locations and encounters. Starfield is kinda similar -- it's just the same open-world gameplay as Fallout 4, same middling gunplay, same lovely animations and flat face-to-face dialogue scenes, and they designed a mediocre spaceship mode and some simple-to-plot linear missions that don't have any reactivity or consequences that would take effort to implement.

Like, I just don't fundamentally understand what is taking them 9 years to figure out when they're just ignoring or recycling so many important pieces of the design. Does it just take THAT much time just to get a modern gameplay engine going? Hell, Baldur's Gate only took 6 years and gave us that.

When did the first footage come out for either game? Before that, you don't know how many times they've made something, then started from scratch because actually this sucks and isn't fun. What you're seeing is just the latest attempt.

Usually a problem with leadership/directorship in that case.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

very bad management that insists on unreasonable changes, and has poor leadership.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You'd be surprised at how little you can accomplish with poor enough leadership.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

When did the first footage come out for either game? Before that, you don't know how many times they've made something, then started from scratch because actually this sucks and isn't fun. What you're seeing is just the latest attempt.

Usually a problem with leadership/directorship in that case.

But this is Bethesda and Rocksteady we're talking about! This isn't some green developer working on their first big project, these are presumably seasoned teams of directors and designers with the knowledge base that comes from developing Arkham City and Skyrim. Are they really spending 5+ years churning out new attempts and discarding them because they suck?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Phenotype posted:

But this is Bethesda and Rocksteady we're talking about! This isn't some green developer working on their first big project, these are presumably seasoned teams of directors and designers with the knowledge base that comes from developing Arkham City and Skyrim. Are they really spending 5+ years churning out new attempts and discarding them because they suck?

This is Naughty Dog we're talking about! Did they really spend 5+ years working on a live service Factions only to realize they wouldn't be able to support it as a single-player-focused studio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was trying to think of a recent AAA game that had a (relatively) quick turnaround and my first thought was FF16, but that game was in closed door development since 2016 and only announced formally in 2020.