Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SettingSun posted:

Just go back to Dondoko Island.

thats the dark place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Arist posted:

This is Naughty Dog we're talking about! Did they really spend 5+ years working on a live service Factions only to realize they wouldn't be able to support it as a single-player-focused studio?

no lmao they did it because Sony wanted Suicide Squad and other monetizable live service games to suck up all your money and didn't want you to have quiet fun playing a buy-once multiplayer game when you could be paying cash for skins and getting battle passes advertised at you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Live service games all suck poo poo.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Phenotype posted:

But this is Bethesda and Rocksteady we're talking about! This isn't some green developer working on their first big project, these are presumably seasoned teams of directors and designers with the knowledge base that comes from developing Arkham City and Skyrim. Are they really spending 5+ years churning out new attempts and discarding them because they suck?

You assume the same people that worked on past games stayed long enough to see the latest game through to completion. The founders of Rocksteady leaving in 2022 to start a new studio a year later and pulling in Rocksteady vets should be a clue.

Rocksteady is just another traditionally single player studio roped into the GaaS craze and it crashing and burning. It just was a slow-motion crash for them. Suicide Squad should have been a tax write-off years ago, to be honest. WB are idiots.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The REAL Goobusters posted:

bro are you seriously 50

This really hurts me because I'm almost 50 and I thought a lot of us are.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s okay to be old. poo poo happens

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Medullah posted:

No one here is anywhere near 50. Nope. None of us. Just you.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Medullah posted:

I came back because message boards are for us olds.

gently caress off youths.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

As for Bethesda… they wanted to make some deep survival mechanic in Starfield but then realized it wasn’t fun and then tried to build their usual RPG stuff but the game was just not made for a Skyrim-esque adventure.

It’s all loading screens, small environments, and boring proc-gen planets with individual fun or interesting moments here and there, but a distinct lack of fun exploration or discovery. They should have just stripped all the spaceship flying and customization stuff out of the game and made it some simple fast travel mechanic to go to a handful of crafted planets. Same goes for outposts – that was leftover from their survival gameplay that is kinda pointless.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

LAD7 and 8 were made for olds like us you. In IW Ichiban is 46 and Kiryu is something like 55.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You too can look forward to the adventures of a 55 year old depressed grandpa dying of cancer!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The phase of video games about having kids is more or less over, now is time for the games about having a midlife crisis

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ImpAtom posted:

You too can look forward to the adventures of a 55 year old depressed grandpa dying of cancer!

mgs4 was really good

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Enjoying Helldivers though I've only played a couple missions. Still getting used to the more, I guess you would say deliberate style of action, the friendly fire, the reload mechanic, no dodge roll to quickly get out of trouble, the directional inputs for drops - just little things that add up to focus your attention.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
From Sad Dads to Tragic Grampas

In this paper I will show...

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I'm ready for the Old Man to take his rightful place as the premier vidjagame protagonist of our time.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Just go back to Dondoko Island.

I opened that up the other night. Put it off a day because "not really feeling it" and then when I loaded it thought "I'll do the bare minimum quest then go back to Honolulu.... Oh holy poo poo it is 3am"

Did a long shift last night to get to 5* and quit. That crack should come with a warning label.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I said come in! posted:

Live service games all suck poo poo.

I'm having the same level of fun with Helldivers II that I had with Deep Rock Galactic, that is to say that it's an engaging and hilarious game to play with friends that's offered for a fair price and features numerous examples of good game design. So, suck on that poo poo...I guess ;)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think Yoshi P said in an interview they had like 3 people working on FF16 at first because everyone else was busy with other games.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Never be surprised how long, tortured or just straight disastrous any game development process can be, even industry veterans working on a relatively simple small scale indie game can gently caress it up in astounding ways.

One of my previous roles that I left in early 2022 was working on a game that was supposed to have an early access release of some kind in that same year, I left partly because that seemed ludicrously ambitious at the pace they were going, I figured I'd probably be crunching like gently caress on doing my part trying to achieve that and had a better seeming offer, among some other reasons. Now 2 years later they've still not even announced it or had a trailer for it or anything when I remember them planning ads and community stuff even months before I left, they're still beavering away on it from what I gather on linkedin and the company website and such but it's being funded by a company famous for cutting and running and it's like 3 different game concepts, all of which have many examples of crashing and burning, all being smashed together so I'm somewhat expecting to hear of it being cancelled or the company having layoffs at some point with how grim the industry is at this point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's nothing inherently wrong with live service games. The ones that have a bad reputation either are bad games to begin with or have done a poor job of monetizing stuff in a way that leaves a bad taste in players mouths.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with live service games. The ones that have a bad reputation either are bad games to begin with or have done a poor job of monetizing stuff in a way that leaves a bad taste in players mouths.

I mean I would say there is, because a successful Live Service can by its nature is designed around having to design themselves around monetizing things which almost always leads to more annoying or tedious mechanical designs than a stand-alone game would.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The live service games with nothing wrong with them are the subscription ones. Just make an upfront offer that if you consistently pay this much, you can consistently play new stuff. The off-putting part is continuously trying to get you to pay more, and more often, than that baseline

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

The live service games with nothing wrong with them are the subscription ones. Just make an upfront offer that if you consistently pay this much, you can consistently play. The off-putting part is continuously trying to get you to pay more, and more often, than that baseline

Even those can suffer because by necessity they have to find a way to keep you subscribed, which usually means slowing things down in some fashion.

Hilariously though that feels like a player demand. Final Fantasy XIV for example has Relic Weapons, which are big super endgame weapons that in previous expansions required a looooot of grinding to get. In the most recent expansion they were made trivial to get instead and people were very upset that they were finished so quickly, to the point where they are bringing back one of the longer more grindy areas for the next expansion in response to the overwhelming demand.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On one hand it probably makes any game worse on some small level, but if it's in the background enough and the developer can build up enough goodwill amongst players by the game just being good, I think most people give it a pass. I honestly don't know how you would even make a long running multiplayer game in 2024 with no live service stuff. Start selling map packs again? Just support the game indefinitely without expecting a dime for it? I dunno.

It's not something I would ever consider a "good" thing but I think it's perfectly acceptable when done right. I do kind of miss the days when multiplayer games weren't really designed with the idea that they'd be played forever. You get what you get and play until you get bored. That was kind of nice in a way but it's never coming back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

I do kind of miss the days when multiplayer games weren't really designed with the idea that they'd be played forever.

They were designed to not be supported forever. On PC at least they used to be designed with the expectation that the modders would do your new content releases for free. They also didn't have any hosting costs (another thing the community was expected to do for itself), so you could move on and maybe the game would live forever organically and if it didn't, oh well, either way it's not an ongoing liability. You can't do this in the modern game ecology for a lot of reasons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Here's a better question. Is it realistic to expect a company to make a multiplayer game in 2024 with no live service elements and if so why? Personally I don't think it is, because even though as a player I'd rather not have that stuff in my game I get that supporting a multiplayer game is a business. You are waxing nostalgic about games from literally like, the 90s. Pretty much every multiplayer game has had some sort of of live service element since early PS3/360 era. Before battle passes is was map packs. They were always trying to find ways to make money after the fact and tbh I can't blame them because that poo poo costs money and manpower to create and curate.

I think a more productive way to look at live service stuff is to look at is as a spectrum. if it's dragging a game down that's problem. If it's a less offensive implementation of it, I am fine with having the option to spend a few bux on some dumb cosmetics here and there. In fact if I like a game enough I might even be fine with throwing them a bone once in a while.

E: to be clear I am talking about multiplayer stuff. When a single player game that is meant to be "finished" is bugging me with that poo poo it leaves a much more sour taste in my mouth.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

veni veni veni posted:

Here's a better question. Is it realistic to expect a company to make a multiplayer game in 2024 with no live service elements and if so why?

Early access games de facto do this dozens of times per year and nobody has a problem with it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

An indie game in early access clearly isn't what I am talking about and also when those games are released/are successful they generally have some form of MTX stuff added.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I’m so glad I don’t care about multiplayer, dailies, engagement, etc.

I just play the single player stories and ignore everything else.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Only yhe C3 or G3 if you got cash are worth it. Don't compromise. Just save a bit more to get the C3.

Hmm, ok!

I can definitely afford the C3 at the size I’m looking for (65”). I know OLED TVs are supposed to be way way better than what i have, I still find it tough to pull the trigger since my current TV is doing just fine lol. I guess it’s one of those things that I won’t understand the difference unless o actually get it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Here's a better question. Is it realistic to expect a company to make a multiplayer game in 2024 with no live service elements and if so why? Personally I don't think it is, because even though as a player I'd rather not have that stuff in my game I get that supporting a multiplayer game is a business. You are waxing nostalgic about games from literally like, the 90s. Pretty much every multiplayer game has had some sort of of live service element since early PS3/360 era. Before battle passes is was map packs. They were always trying to find ways to make money after the fact and tbh I can't blame them because that poo poo costs money and manpower to create and curate.

I think a more productive way to look at live service stuff is to look at is as a spectrum. if it's dragging a game down that's problem. If it's a less offensive implementation of it, I am fine with having the option to spend a few bux on some dumb cosmetics here and there. In fact if I like a game enough I might even be fine with throwing them a bone once in a while.

E: to be clear I am talking about multiplayer stuff. When a single player game that is meant to be "finished" is bugging me with that poo poo it leaves a much more sour taste in my mouth.

I don't think so. If any game's coming out with a multiplayer game's coming out I just generally assume it's got some kind of unlockable stuff in like a battle pass or some kind of shop. At least for a FPS. Stuff like Monster Hunter or Deep Rock Galactic or Overcooked is different I guess.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
What's the best fascist joke/pun in Helldiver's 2? I always loved "Time to serve a cup of Libertea" because of how ham fisted it was

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hmm, ok!

I can definitely afford the C3 at the size I’m looking for (65”). I know OLED TVs are supposed to be way way better than what i have, I still find it tough to pull the trigger since my current TV is doing just fine lol. I guess it’s one of those things that I won’t understand the difference unless o actually get it

If you get the chance try to find a C3 in a shop so you can see how it looks in reality. 4K OLED is a decent step up from regular 1080p but if you already have a 4K non-OLED TV then it'll be a less noticeable upgrade.

If your TV's doing fine you don't need to upgrade but it's nice to get yourself new toys sometimes.

Source: I got a C3 two weeks ago and I love it - but I've spent more time obsessively tweaking settings than actually playing games or watching the drat thing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
A 4K non-OLED to a 4K OLED (LG C2) is probably the most noticeable upgrade I've ever made to anything in my life.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have a C3 and it slaps but I hate the modern smart tv functionality. Luv 2 turn on my tv and have a big popup that says there's a software update ready. But that's not on the LG specifically.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Don’t keep your TV connected to the internet. Less popups that way.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ZeeBoi posted:

My TV flashes a bright strobing light at me if it's offline.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ZeeBoi posted:

Then how do you watch literally anything other than live TV?

If you have your apps on some other box (or computer video game home entertainment system) you just have the exact same problem there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Volte posted:

A 4K non-OLED to a 4K OLED (LG C2) is probably the most noticeable upgrade I've ever made to anything in my life.

Agreed lol