Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

deoju posted:

How do you all organize your pieces?

6x Akro-Mils for the special bits, a whole bunch of 12" rubbermaids for blocks and plates, and then all the castle/pirate stuff is in a random plastic drawer thing I got at a yard sale.

Works pretty good, it's all the sets overflowing onto random surfaces that I can't deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Uhh this is very important but why did none of you sons of bitches tell me the curator of the Natural History Museum was Dr. Kilroy from the old Johnny Thunder sets?!

Kilroy is there?!?!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Kazzah posted:

Kilroy is there?!?!

:golfclap:

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I'm thinking about selling some sets from around 1995, mostly spacey stuff with 300-600 pieces, did they have extra miscellaneous small parts like modern sets do? They're all in box and fully buildable but I don't know if that means "complete" to a buyer.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Uhh this is very important but why did none of you sons of bitches tell me the curator of the Natural History Museum was Dr. Kilroy from the old Johnny Thunder sets?!

I’m ashamed to say I misidentified him as Dr. Cyber from Time Cruisers, just sporting cool old guy facial hair since it’s been 30 years (I blame the past/future banners for suggesting time travel).

If you accept Lego comics as canon though, Brickipedia says he’s related to Kilroy, so I was really close.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Psychepath posted:

I'm thinking about selling some sets from around 1995, mostly spacey stuff with 300-600 pieces, did they have extra miscellaneous small parts like modern sets do? They're all in box and fully buildable but I don't know if that means "complete" to a buyer.

Complete means the set is fully buildable per the instructions. Usually, based on BLs piece list. If you have the extra pieces, that's just bonus and tells the buyer you take care of your stuff.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Psychepath posted:

you don't have pm's but I uhh could be very interested in said pieces

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

on the subject of space stuff, I spent some time today making a land crawler with attached scout craft. I'm pretty happy with the end result even though I felt limited by my brick selection and mostly having older bricks it looks a bit blocky compared to new stuff. I do wish I had a different top plate than the M-Tron one mostly because I was originally going for a Spyrius mid-sized robot but audibled midway through

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you don't have pm's but I uhh could be very interested in said pieces

So far I've sorted out the 6339 shuttle launch pad, 6949 robo-guy, 6959 launch site, 6984 police ship, and 1789 star hawk. Username @ hotmail if anything sounds interesting.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Okay, I'm sold. Might be getting the Orient Express for the coaches + parts after all.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Johnny Thunder is rumored to return in a few City sets.
https://www.reddit.com/gallery/1anlzpx

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is that the one from the moc, or are you going to use Legos cars

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

decided i ultimately wasn't happy with my ship design last night, and that I should work on smaller scale stuff and work up. I made a little battlepod

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HootTheOwl posted:

Is that the one from the moc, or are you going to use Legos cars

You talking to me? If so, they're the coaches from the OE set. The prints aren't in studio yet, i just put a gold brick there for now to get an idea of how the colours will look.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lizard Combatant posted:

You talking to me? If so, they're the coaches from the OE set. The prints aren't in studio yet, i just put a gold brick there for now to get an idea of how the colours will look.

Yes, sorry.
I was asking if you were getting the OE set passenger cars to go with the MOC engine/tender

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Those ball joint plates did not exist until 2012. Your build is not period accurate. :goonsay:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Bake him away, toys.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes, sorry.
I was asking if you were getting the OE set passenger cars to go with the MOC engine/tender

Yeah that's the plan, just gotta price out the additional parts for the engine next and make sure its not getting out of hand.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

Those ball joint plates did not exist until 2012. Your build is not period accurate. :goonsay:

Yeah cause they're space cops from the FUTURE

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

you're not wrong but I want to work on modernizing some of those 90's themes. it'll give me a solid base of ideas and I love the color schemes. now to hoard all the translucent blue and neon orange / green I can find

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Modernizing old sets like that is sometimes called "Neo-Classic Space." There are rad MOCs out there.

I was jokingly being an rear end in a top hat pedant there, in case that wasn't clear.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We all like the galaxy explorer in here

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Modernizing old sets like that is sometimes called "Neo-Classic Space." There are rad MOCs out there.

I was jokingly being an rear end in a top hat pedant there, in case that wasn't clear.

we're good fam. I've just been surprised how into making mocs I've been. I originally was just going to complete the sets I found but this has been pretty rad

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone try the thing where you upload Target receipts to Lego to get full VIP points?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

smackfu posted:

Anyone try the thing where you upload Target receipts to Lego to get full VIP points?

Yeah I did it a while back on some Speed Champions, it works pretty smoothly.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

smackfu posted:

Small correction, you don't get full points. For target receipts you get 1 point per-dollar spent on LEGO sets, while when you buy from LEGO you get 6.5 points for each dollar spent (rounded up for the last dollar, I think)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aha, they have tricked me with their points hijinks! That doesn’t seem very worthwhile. Better than nothing I suppose.

I was hoping I could double dip points plus the Target 5% Red Card discount.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Veotax posted:

Small correction, you don't get full points. For target receipts you get 1 point per-dollar spent on LEGO sets, while when you buy from LEGO you get 6.5 points for each dollar spent (rounded up for the last dollar, I think)

Wait what? Did they change that recently because I got full points when I did it but it was shortly after they first rolled it out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Wait what? Did they change that recently because I got full points when I did it but it was shortly after they first rolled it out.

Not unless it was bugged when you used it, been like that since it was introduced. I remember it coming in and the training we had for it.
Hell part of my job is manually processing uploaded receipts when the system can't read them for whatever reason. I don't even put in how many points to give, I just tell it what's on the receipt and how much it costs, then it adds like 21 points for a $19.99 purchase

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/BrickFanatics/status/1756987046059446532

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Eh, WoZ is mostly an US thing, right? Or are there other regions where it is nearly as well known and popular?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Veotax posted:

Not unless it was bugged when you used it, been like that since it was introduced. I remember it coming in and the training we had for it.
Hell part of my job is manually processing uploaded receipts when the system can't read them for whatever reason. I don't even put in how many points to give, I just tell it what's on the receipt and how much it costs, then it adds like 21 points for a $19.99 purchase

Oh, huh. I guess I just assumed it was full points.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tarquinn posted:

Eh, WoZ is mostly an US thing, right? Or are there other regions where it is nearly as well known and popular?

They’ve done Oz stuff before, so it’s not without precedent for Lego.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tarquinn posted:

This is based on Wicked the musical which I think is popular anywhere musicals are. There’s a London show still running. (Pretty old musical at this point.)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
And also Wizard of Oz is absolutely popular and well known, at least in the UK. It's one of the classics because of the whole technicolour thing but also the story and the characters and many quotable lines.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wizard of Oz is well known in the Netherlands, for what it's worth.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

They’ve done Oz stuff before, so it’s not without precedent for Lego.

Also it's worth pointing out that ever since Lego ended it's partnership with WB (hence no Lego Movie 3 or Lego Batman 2) they have partnered up with Universal, and there's been a lot more Universal properties releasing as Lego sets/getting Lego nods.

Wicked is Universal's big release for this year and next, unless they actually manage to get the next Jurassic World film made in less than a year, so of course Lego will be pushing it hard.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Well, then. :witch:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I have a 3 ikea detolf* cabinets for displaying my poo poo.

I have a shelf that is all my minifigs that aren't apart of other displays. I had them all on a single base plate that I trimmed to fit.

But that made it harder to find one that I was looking for, and It was less interesting that way imo.
So I build a shelf out of some old bootleg technic pieces from a project I abandoned years ago. It was a little middle school math to find a good rise/run to fill the space well and then convert that to lego units. It's on wheels for 2 reasons. So it can slide in and out easily, and I was running out of pieces and wanted to fill the space low in the back.

There. That's better. I had to to slice the base plate up again. :ssh: they are kragled down.

*The detolf has been discontinued. :( This seems to be the replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

deoju posted:

*The detolf has been discontinued. :( This seems to be the replacement.

I have a few detolfs as well. This replacement looks to be a little bit better. The metal brackets inside of the glass were always a pain in the rear end to reassemble if needed. Also, not having the metal brackets looks a lot cleaner. I couldn’t tell from the pictures, but it looks like the insides might be adjustable and gets rid of the need for custom shelving for a Detolf. I would probably upgrade to the newer one, if I didn’t have three detolfs already.