Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean I forget but didn't it show up at the end of the last season?

Yeah, a teaser shot right at the end. But i'd imagine it's going to be a setpiece in the season 2 finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No the last episode cheif fought some covenant on some rocky place and Cortana took over and gave us lore accurate cheif

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I could've swore there was some mid-credits teaser showing the Halo.

I watched that episode pretty late, so perhaps my memory is dogshit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean I forget but didn't it show up at the end of the last season?

I swear Chief and Irish Anti Chief go there in a dream.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They did

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Irish Anti Chief

Miles O'Brien cameo??

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

McSpanky posted:

Miles O'Brien cameo??

Crossovers getting weird anymore

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Halo has a bit of a hole to dig itself out of from season 1... but taken on its own so far, season 2 doesn't seem bad so far? At least the cracks haven't really started to show and it feels like they're kind of hitting the undo button on a lot of dumb choices from season 1 (though not all ugh why couldn't you stay dead makee?). It almost feels like a soft reboot in a lot of ways so far, and really makes it stand out what a waste absolutely everything in season 1 was. Just a completely wasted season instead of the sensible thing of just doing reach season 1, halo CE season 2, etc. You know, an adaptation of the thing people actually cared about seeing, not whever time wasting BS season 1 was filled with.

Lots of time to head over the cliff, but so far I have a slim hope this season might do an OK Reach story, and set up Halo CE next season (which will never get greenlit, lmao).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I liked the last season and I like this one so far. Give me the slop I'll be here at my trough thank you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Professor Beetus posted:

I liked the last season and I like this one so far. Give me the slop I'll be here at my trough thank you

I'm here for the slop and the cheeks

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm here for the slop and the cheeks

It takes chief the whole season to get to halo because these things be clappin

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i hope this genocidal alien race doesn't get in the way of everyones personal problems

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ackerson: “Where’s Chief?”

Keyes: “The gently caress Parlor.”

Ackerson: “What’s he doing there?”

Keyes: “Fuckin.”

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Good to know Paramount+ still hasn't improved the Xbox app in over a year. I bet they still haven't fixed the weird playback bugs that made DS9 unwatchable

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What the hell was that last scene of episode 2? I know Marines tend to get the shittiest equipment, but they can't afford flashlights?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cojawfee posted:

What the hell was that last scene of episode 2? I know Marines tend to get the shittiest equipment, but they can't afford flashlights?

Marine, did inside you permission to bitch?

True to Halo 2 where only Chief gets a flashlight during the shootout at the Mombasa hotel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As someone who has never played the games, knows nothing about the lore or anything concerning story, I'm enjoying the show.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

GreenNight posted:

As someone who has never played the games, knows nothing about the lore or anything concerning story, I'm enjoying the show.

Mods!!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This show shoulda just been Lost on Halo with flashbacks to flesh out the world then go from there.

Maybe Ill tune in for the Fall of Reach episode but so far its the same boring slog as season 1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My favorite part of the games was the mission where you stare at the mission status board.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's there entirely to keep that guy employed

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm kinda fuzzy on a few things from the last season, didn't Makee get merked? And wasn't the Chief hosed up and Cortana running things for him?

Anyway, like most others, gonna be hella mad when the show gets cancelled before they even set foot on the ring - I wanna see everything go to poo poo once Keyes goes off to look for the 'weapon cache', yo! But as for what we are getting, I kinda dig how miserably dystopian it clearly is, ONI shits being shady, colonists chafing under the twin threats of the government and insane genocidal religious nutter aliens, Dr War Crimes bursting clone kid brains with her questions, etc.

Also it was bugging me who the clone girl was and it's Mon's TradCath daughter from Andor, innit.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I liked the difference between the real medal ceremony and the edited propaganda broadcast. Honestly I think the show is frustrating because there's moments of greatness but then you see a slave auction run by some weird ringleader out of a Dickens novel

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
At this point I think I'd almost enjoy this more if it was not associated with Halo and just a general sci fi show, it's not like they're ever gonna loving get to any halos anyways.

I'm trying to understand the thought process to them not progressing the plot ever. Are the writers actually dumb enough to think they have a dozen seasons, and all the time in the world? Is it executive meddling that is forcing them to go so slow, when those same executives know they'll be cancelling this at the end of the season? I don't see how it's good for Paramount+ or their shareholders when this expensive rear end show will be forever known at the show called Halo that never actually go to the halo.

Maybe they were just shooting for the moon and planning on this having Stranger Things levels of success, and if it didn't who cares anyways. Even if that was the case, there should have been some major course corrections after season 1.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm kinda fuzzy on a few things from the last season, didn't Makee get merked? And wasn't the Chief hosed up and Cortana running things for him?

Yes to both so I'm assuming she wasn't totally dead or something is up

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Presumably space aliens with future tech might have decent medkits that work on a few different species.

Or they have unlocked save scum tech.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I, for one, am thankful that they have removed permanent character death as a factor, as I hate the idea of actual stakes and drama in a show.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

God I love hating this show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monica Bellucci posted:

Presumably space aliens with future tech might have decent medkits that work on a few different species.

Or they have unlocked save scum tech.

Halo 5 has a scene where you're in an encampment full of allied Elites and Grunts and all the elites are giving the Dr Halsey poo poo for having things like "medics" and "doctors" until she tells them how loving stupid they are for not practicing better field medicine.

Turns out that expendable cannon fodder and recharging energy shields don't engender an army into protecting their wounded.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 11, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Kai and MC bring up that she shot Makee so her being back is supposed to be weird.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean the most obvious thing is that there is something wrong with chief and he was hallucinating. Occam's razor and all that. Anyway on to episode 2 and fuckin hell I can't give two shits about their dumb expanse ripoff space station crap. I actually like Kwan alright but she's better paired up with Chief as a foil. Also lmao at the space station apparently constructed out of concrete, what the hell

E: oh okay I guess it's supposed to be on an asteroid, whatever

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 11, 2024

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I completely forgot about Kwan's existence until the final scene. What's her deal again?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

grittyreboot posted:

I completely forgot about Kwan's existence until the final scene. What's her deal again?

I think the implication thus far is that she's special the way master chief is or something, wrt activating halo bullshit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Technically any human would be considered a Reclaimer but the show wants to treat it like individual humans are genetically special.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ratjaculation posted:

God I love hating this show

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm trying to understand the thought process to them not progressing the plot ever. Are the writers actually dumb enough to think they have a dozen seasons, and all the time in the world? Is it executive meddling that is forcing them to go so slow, when those same executives know they'll be cancelling this at the end of the season? I don't see how it's good for Paramount+ or their shareholders when this expensive rear end show will be forever known at the show called Halo that never actually go to the halo.

My guess at this point is just that, traveling across a halo ring, visiting forerunner bases, fighting cgi enemies every episode, the flood, big battles, the invasion of earth, etc is all very pricey to film and produce.

Having your cast walk around sets you've already made, brooding and unraveling conspiracies and such, is cheaper, and then you can throw in a few showpiece scenes in the season.

The cheap option doesn't really map to the Halo games, which were all about grand spectacles and setpieces, so I guess it necessitates making a smaller story for it, while putting off the things that would be expensive to "some point in the future" that you can keep teasing but know you'll never actually have to do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With the amount of money they've still clearly thrown at the show they could have made a single season of the action on a Halo installation. But they wanted a franchise with lots of seasons rather than a one-off miniseries.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I just don't think there is any real central vision for the show. It feels a lot like those group projects from school where no-one can agree on what to do so they're all doing their own stuff and mashing it together in a panic at the end. Like, one guy wants Andor style political manoeuvring away from the IPs main symbols, another guy wants MC to do badass action stunts, another guy really likes the later Halo games and wants to throw in a bunch more Spartans people mostly don't care about, someone is over in the corner trying to give the Convenant a bit more character, and everyone is afraid of doing anything too ambitious for fear of loving it up for everyone.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Everyone on this show is really unpleasant to everyone else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Pablo gives tremendous pissed off look, I am cool with it.

I want more of Bokeem though, I dig his character. And Kai.