Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I can't believe they cut the mimic episode before the payoff to the The Thing joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

In the manga wasn't the elf in the painting described as 'she' and then it's a surprise later, or was that just like a bad translation that got fixed?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
IIRC, in Japanese it's just a gender neutral pronoun (which is normal) and the translator made an incorrect assumption.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the official translation glosses it over when they get to the golden country, there's a scene where Yaad is explaining Thistle's backstory and Laios has a quick "we want to talk to her- er, him"

I've heard professional translators talk about how they're not really allowed to ask authors for clarification on things like that, so they generally just have to guess and eat crow if they're wrong.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Gets worse - I'm pretty sure the official translation went with Sissel, not Thistle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But thats a cat's name :v

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Emzedoh posted:

Gets worse - I'm pretty sure the official translation went with Sissel, not Thistle.

It did, and then the official translation of the setting guidebook just sort of had to go "he's named Sissel, after the thistle plant" and hope that did not raise too many questions.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

So it goes.

Synthbuttrange posted:

But thats a cat's name :v

*Narrows eyes*

I get that reference.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
There's apparently more scattered bits and pieces of the upcoming Daydream Hour floating around.
Laios being Laios

Chilchuck being a dad

Fleki being a bootlicker

The reveal that Izutsumi is less of a catgirl and more of a girlcat, which considering that she was transformed at 6 makes her backstory even more hosed up. Someone literally ripped the soul out of a kid and shoved it into a cat.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I kind of adore that every panel Chilchuck’s eldest daughter has appeared in to date has very strong “I wish I wasn’t a member of this family” energy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ryoko kui keeping hope alive for the mithrun and kabru shippers by having him stay in the country

bravesword posted:

I kind of adore that every panel Chilchuck’s eldest daughter has appeared in to date has very strong “I wish I wasn’t a member of this family” energy

she really is just her dad but a woman and its the best

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

These are all pretty small and the last one is cropped, so here they are again + some more

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Scholtz posted:

These are all pretty small and the last one is cropped, so here they are again + some more

It's kind of bugging me that the dialog talks about tree/horse burial, when the art clearly shows a sky burial.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Watching the anime, I'd forgotten how often and early the winged lion imagery is present throughout the dungeon. It's neat!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I love how this is such an incredibly "Fantasy RPG backstory" story. :allears:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i enjoy that yaad and all the golden country citizens assumed they'd fade away once they reached the surface, but he at least appears to be sticking around by sheer force of will to keep laios from loving everything up

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

I've lost count of how often Ryoko Kui has done the "meanwhile, Izutsumi is doing nothing" punchline. It's always great.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yaad: I'll allow myself to rest and fade away once I am sure that the new kingdom is in good hands

Yaad looking at Laios: gently caress, I'll be here for a while.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm glad that Mithrun gets to enjoy a nice quiet retirement making noodles (and hunting monsters)

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

i think its cute that chilchuck has one daughter who is just exactly like him and is clearly as done with all the other two's nonsense as he is

e; oh this was mentioned but yeah i agree

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 11, 2024

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

I've lost count of how often Ryoko Kui has done the "meanwhile, Izutsumi is doing nothing" punchline. It's always great.

izutsumi gets hit with an existential right hook from lycion and just absolutely no-sells it

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It speaks to the quality of the author’s writing that Izutsumi being best girl is debatable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lmao this guy

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

sharkmafia posted:

i think its cute that chilchuck has one daughter who is just exactly like him and is clearly as done with all the other two's nonsense as he is

e; oh this was mentioned but yeah i agree

Given the lifespan issue, I'm reminded of a quote from some fantasy series or other from a dwarf's perspective about how hard it is to make friends with a human, because just as you're starting to trust and understand them, they go and die of old age. So, being clan-minded, the dwarf says it makes sense to get to know a human family so that by the time you get to the grandchildren you've got an idea of their quality.

It's fun to imagine a whole line of Chilchuk's descendents, each grumpily inheriting their ancestor's friendship with Senshi and Marcille. As funny as Laios as king is, it's probably Marcille who'll have the most long-term impact on the future of the kingdom, in a role seemingly not that different from her mother's (is she still around?).

Edit: if Ryoko still wants a tragic ending, just give us a bonus page set 1000 years in the future, where the world has become completely modern and an elderly Marcille is a Presidential Advisor and the last one from her era.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 11, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It speaks to the quality of the author’s writing that Izutsumi being best girl is debatable.

Izutsumi only came into the manga more than halfway into the run, despite existing in the pre-serialization prologue.

This was obviously so other characters could establish themselves, making Izutsumi's grip on best girl less absolute.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Izutsumi's schtick works better when it's added to an established group dynamic anyway.

Instead of putting her into this story sooner, why not insert her halfway into another series, like Utena, or Frieren, or Madoka?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tumblr recommended to me some funny fan art.

https://www.tumblr.com/envymeshi/714508714182377472/i-think-laios-should-play-spore

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh no marcille
oh no kabru

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Falin found a cool snake, so everything is balanced as it should be.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Izutsumi didn't bother to name her channel :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
no, she just did it like a cat does, by walking across the keyboard

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Falin would do reaction face thumbnails

Senshi would just have raw uploads of cooking livestreams that only show his hands

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

this raises an important question: would marcille include a sponsor segment in her apology video

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Big fan of these little asides filling us in for the extended cast. Everyone's got something going on, even if they're just some tertiary character.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

everything about this series has been great from the jump, but the world building has been one of if not the best parts. i'd be so stoked if she kept doing little side bits into the future

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I miss them

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Chicken Thumbs posted:

The reveal that Izutsumi is less of a catgirl and more of a girlcat, which considering that she was transformed at 6 makes her backstory even more hosed up. Someone literally ripped the soul out of a kid and shoved it into a cat.
This adds another layer of tragic subtext to the bit where the succubus takes the form of her mother.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

god the Winged Lion comic is killing me. This unknowable eldritch being now able to experience and enjoy the mundane sensations of being human, it's so good

edit: also mithrun saying he and marcille are lucky to have people that love them. sobs.

VideoWitch fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 12, 2024

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

More... more!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Scholtz posted:

More... more!!!

:unsmith:

:smith: