Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I guess my only question is why Jump wouldn't move MMA to Jump+? Takes the pressure off the series to be something to help carry the physical magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Because it's not popular at all?

If it didn't do well in the magazine, but the tank sales were good that would be an option.

Usually stuff only gets moved to Jump+ like that if it's popular with a different market or the author has issues through sickness or other reasons and can't do a weekly series.

Why would you keep paying for something that is giving you nothing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Haikyuu was pretty standard sports with fun characters, wonder why it caught on, while others have not.

Haikyuu had a really good premise. 2 rivals but now they’re on the same team? Then the author gives them a super move. Except they kept it fresh and was like “well no it won’t always work.” The core cast of characters rarely ballooned and the manga was really good about making things feel high energy.

I think the thing about a sports anime is that you need to have some kind of hook right from the get go, like what’s going to separate you from the others because it just can’t be a standard look at things. I think MMA was getting there but it didn’t have a hook that made me want to see where it goes.

Make Nao the star and have a whole bunch of crazy other fighters like the rich girl fighter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dexo posted:

That is just like completely incorrect.

they might not prematurely kill the next one piece but you're right about demon slayer not being hot poo poo before the anime and I could definitely see them having canned a few of those

a good adaption is prob a lot more important than initial volume sales. even popular series get a big jump when the anime is good. not something you can count on tho I guess

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There have been a lot of titles on Jump that I really liked and ended way too quickly. I've gotten to the point where I'm gun shy about starting a new series. I just wait until it's been around for a year or so.

Not much consolation, but I'm still upset that Love After World Domination and Rough Sketch Senpai got canned and neither were Jump titles.

Edit: Looking at that list and Two on Ice is definitely not long for this world. Reminds me a bit of I-Revo which was also about ice skating and got rushed/axed as well as Medalist and Akane Banashi which let's be honest, this is a sports manga in all but theme. Makes me wonder about what makes a series "tick" with audiences(theory is the MC's being so different from the expected in those roles as well as being MASSIVE underdogs).

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 12, 2024

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

The Black Stones posted:

Make Nao the star and have a whole bunch of crazy other fighters like the rich girl fighter.

The world yearns for more Teppu. I know I definitely cared more about her stuff than the protagonist.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I thought the story with Demon Slayer was that the anime came out during the final arc (or lead up to the final arc or something) but despite the massive boost in popularity it still just kinda ended where it was originally planned to.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought the story with Demon Slayer was that the anime came out during the final arc (or lead up to the final arc or something) but despite the massive boost in popularity it still just kinda ended where it was originally planned to.

No idea about all of that, but there was a HUGE feeling of the last arc/arcs just feeling rushed and a lot of characterization being very rushed and last minute. The author had a family emergency of some kind so that might have been a factor as well, but in general the last arcs were basically a few hundred chapters worth of characterization stuff needing to be done in like half or less of what was needed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ah yeah, that’s right. The way I heard it was that it started rushing towards its ending right after it became massive and people were expecting Jump would force it to continue.

No clue if that’s at all accurate though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah yeah, that’s right. The way I heard it was that it started rushing towards its ending right after it became massive and people were expecting Jump would force it to continue.

No clue if that’s at all accurate though.

It's sales were always very middling, but always had consistent popularity. I think the ending may have been suggested and accepted due to the aformentioned family issues. The definitely expected a bump in sales, but not THAT huge of a bump.

I remember reading something similar happened with The Promised Neverland where the writer said Jump was rushing him along with the story and he couldn't write and flesh things out with a lot of characters like he wanted and that one sold VERY well right til the end.

There are other interesting examples of this phenomenon like Oshi no Ko and Shangri-la Frontier.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

doomrider7 posted:

No idea about all of that, but there was a HUGE feeling of the last arc/arcs just feeling rushed and a lot of characterization being very rushed and last minute. The author had a family emergency of some kind so that might have been a factor as well, but in general the last arcs were basically a few hundred chapters worth of characterization stuff needing to be done in like half or less of what was needed.

I don't think that's true. There was that data book that came out a while back. In it, Gotouge talks about planning the series out with his editor who more or less predicted how long the series would be:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Demon Slayer felt mega rushed to me, didn't they just banish half the "big bad" cast at one point so it was all only the "upper guys" left? It felt like there was a lot of room for a slower paced, facing each challenge type thing, and the story really felt rushed at the end. I didn't read it until after the anime aired though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alacron posted:

I don't think that's true. There was that data book that came out a while back. In it, Gotouge talks about planning the series out with his editor who more or less predicted how long the series would be:

That's new info. I remember they did have a family emergency and the theory was that it was a factor. Reading that the ending may have been intended to be that was is super weird and kind of wild since so much stuff was crazy rushed and under baked.

Jerkface posted:

Demon Slayer felt mega rushed to me, didn't they just banish half the "big bad" cast at one point so it was all only the "upper guys" left? It felt like there was a lot of room for a slower paced, facing each challenge type thing, and the story really felt rushed at the end. I didn't read it until after the anime aired though.

Yeah I remember that one of the final bosses drat near literally came out of nowhere and was Zenitsu's senpai who defected the slayers and the back-story of like half the pillars if not all was done in flashbacks that would only barely fill a volume if at all.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 12, 2024

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
To each their own, I didn't read DS until it was already finished and I thought it was excellently paced (except for the fight in the red light district, which I thought went on a little too long)

Jerkface posted:

Demon Slayer felt mega rushed to me, didn't they just banish half the "big bad" cast at one point so it was all only the "upper guys" left?

Yeah that ruled.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The only stuff that stood out to me as odd were the backstory things for Zenitsu and Inosuke in that final arc, and then it just generally being a final arc that wasn't great to read weekly after a point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

they might not prematurely kill the next one piece but you're right about demon slayer not being hot poo poo before the anime and I could definitely see them having canned a few of those

a good adaption is prob a lot more important than initial volume sales. even popular series get a big jump when the anime is good. not something you can count on tho I guess

I mean, we're seeing with Undead Unluck right now that a decent quality anime doesn't guarantee a big boost for a midcard series. Similarly, Chainsaw Man got crazy sales pre-anime, Mappa pulled out all the stops, and in the end the boost was more modest than expected.

In general, the manga that get a big anime boost (like Frieren, One Piece, and JJK) were popular even before the adaptation, while less popular manga (like Undead or Hinomaru Sumo) don't see enough benefit to lift out of their tier. Cases like Demon Slayer are rare exceptions, not something to bet on. Especially not with series that can't get to 10K on their own.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like I don't think Yozakura Family's anime is going to set the world on fire.

But it had a baseline level of popularity to get that Anime.

Elusive Samurai's might tho, that'd be my bet for a series that could blow the gently caress up with a good anime.

Blue Box's anime when that eventually gets made is going to do football numbers lol. If a high quality studio gets it.

If Kagurabachi lasts long enough that is also a series that screams blow up with animation if it's done well.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 12, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Alacron posted:

I never felt like Demon Slayer was rushed (they fought 1 upper moon, then 2, then 3, perfectly logical) and now I am vindicated.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I know people already mentioned it, but here is a source for one piece being popular from chapter 1

https://www.jajanken.net/en/sakuhins/aAg89lnKZQ

newershadow
May 18, 2014

Dexo posted:

Like I don't think Yozakura Family's anime is going to set the world on fire.

But it had a baseline level of popularity to get that Anime.

Elusive Samurai's might tho, that'd be my bet for a series that could blow the gently caress up with a good anime.

Blue Box's anime when that eventually gets made is going to do football numbers lol. If a high quality studio gets it.

If Kagurabachi lasts long enough that is also a series that screams blow up with animation if it's done well.

I don't know, Yozakura took quite a while to even greenlight/announce an anime (~chapter 160, when the high achievers are around 100-ish).

Honestly, given the recent paradigm of high-quality seasonal adaptations, the biggest obstacle to a new series blowing up might be existing series like Demon Slayer, which are still being animated to completion years after the manga finished. There are only so many slots/studios which can do the work and a number of other established series in the backlog, so we might see the rate at which new series get animated slow down a bit for a while?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I just imagine if they had gone ahead on Yozakura sooner maybe it could've landed something better than what it got, but it could be the project just wasn't as appealing compared to UU, Elusive, Kaiju etc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

newershadow posted:

I don't know, Yozakura took quite a while to even greenlight/announce an anime (~chapter 160, when the high achievers are around 100-ish).

Honestly, given the recent paradigm of high-quality seasonal adaptations, the biggest obstacle to a new series blowing up might be existing series like Demon Slayer, which are still being animated to completion years after the manga finished. There are only so many slots/studios which can do the work and a number of other established series in the backlog, so we might see the rate at which new series get animated slow down a bit for a while?

I mean, we've got a series blowing up right now, with Freiren having millions of viewers every episode. It's just not a Jump series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also Yozakura is very much a workman comic. It's not putting the boat out much. It shows up, does its 17 pages, maybe does that great gag when someone gets emotionally destroyed and is drawn like a child's scribble, and then leaves the stage.

It's a competent midcard comic.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, we're seeing with Undead Unluck right now that a decent quality anime doesn't guarantee a big boost for a midcard series. Similarly, Chainsaw Man got crazy sales pre-anime, Mappa pulled out all the stops, and in the end the boost was more modest than expected.

In general, the manga that get a big anime boost (like Frieren, One Piece, and JJK) were popular even before the adaptation, while less popular manga (like Undead or Hinomaru Sumo) don't see enough benefit to lift out of their tier. Cases like Demon Slayer are rare exceptions, not something to bet on. Especially not with series that can't get to 10K on their own.

Decent quality anime is overselling after this last episode unfortunately lol

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Sakamoto Days chat: good chapter, but I'm not sure what to take from X actually being caught off-guard by Nagumo or tanking getting stabbed in the heart like that. I mentioned a few days ago that while rereading I noticed an inconsistency that seemed too subtle to be unintentional and that should have tipped X off, but it wasn't brought up. (Gaku mentions playing a videogame 5 times and Nagumo-as-Gaku says he's not interested in games he's already beaten) Still, it seems likely that some kind of reversal gets X out of this situation. I could see Shishiba dying here, too.

Also, I didn't realize MMA's previous work was a sumo manga that is already complete and over 200 chapters long. I'll be checking that out now. Gives hope that he can probably get another series going and it wasn't his one big shot.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 12, 2024

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I didn't read it til after it was done, but I felt Demon Slayer was getting super formulaic by the time the ending ramp-up started. There was only so many times Tanjiro can meet a new Hashira, they seem like an rear end in a top hat but agree to train him, new demon general shows up and Hashira tries to fight them, we get backstory where we see Hashira is actually not an rear end in a top hat, Tanjiro saves the day.

Like yeah Shonen is often a formulaic genre, I could probably boil down One Piece arcs very similarly. Demon Slayer for whatever reason really just stuck out to me as incredibly predictable and I probably would have dropped it if the endgame didn't suddenly sucker punch our heroes in the face.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think part of the difference is that One Piece switches to a new setting (island) every arc and introduces a big-picture plot twist every so often, while Demon Slayer has only one antagonist group and one setting.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Imagining they had a boat arc to fight demons in other country.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

haypliss posted:

Imagining they had a boat arc to fight demons in other country.

If they’d wanted to extend the series, that would be the obvious way. Maybe Muzan is only the progenitor of Japanese demons, and similar alchemical experiments led to the creation of jiangshi in China and vampires in Eastern Europe.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Liked the comedy in the new series, but not sure it has any staying power. I'll keep reading, but could definitely see this moving away from the comedy to stay alive.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I thought Demon Slayer was kinda mid but it wouldn't have benefited from being longer.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Jerkface posted:

Demon Slayer felt mega rushed to me, didn't they just banish half the "big bad" cast at one point so it was all only the "upper guys" left?

I've heard it claimed a couple times that this was because it wasn't that popular at the time and the author decided to cut the fat and get to the main villains, but I don't know true that actually is.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Kingtheninja posted:

Liked the comedy in the new series, but not sure it has any staying power. I'll keep reading, but could definitely see this moving away from the comedy to stay alive.

I'm going into this one expecting basically what we got with Service Wars. It'll be nice, but run through its gag pretty quickly, maybe switch to comedy battles for a little bit, then end in like 30 chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the final arc of demon slayer could have been either set up better or stretched out a bit. too many things had to happen in a single arc, so it was all very abrupt.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

rip MMA, you were too good for this world.

there's a baseball shaped hole where Diamond no Ace lay, maybe it's time to fill it?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

One of the most egregious issues I have with the ending that I think probably also turbo-affected me is the epilogue is the idea that Zenitsu and Nezuko get married. loving gross. Very harry potter esque which is not a compliment

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the thing about the final arc of demon slayer that felt rushed to me is the way it started. you set up a training arc and then muzan goes to demon slayer hq to kill the president? who then blows up his own house and kills his family? then it's a headlong dash into the final fight, it's weird

chiasaur11 posted:

idk I think undead unluck is a weird example because it's just not very good at the start and that gatekeeps a lot of people that might have got into it otherwise. and csm doesn't even fit the criteria because, as you said, it was already popular

you're right that an adaption doesn't guarantee a big sales increase, but it helps. you can't count on a demon slayer ever happening but I'm saying the chances of jump having cancelled something like that is a lot higher than something like one piece because it was so unexpected. and that you don't get that possibility in the first place without a good adaption. maybe some series are working at too much of a deficit to have that turnaround tho. like hinomaru sumo I don't see how you elevate that way even with the perfect adaption, even if it was at least popular enough as a manga to reach the finishing line

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You also have Mashle, whose anime seems to have helped the manga even though it ended last year, but at least last I heard, without really generating much profit on its own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zenitsu goes from the literal worst person in the world to a completely different character basically overnight which I feel like is absolutely the result of rushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it kicks rear end that thermae romae is back. tempted to make a thread