Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You can just look at the little graph at the bottom now to scroll to the good bits of the videos.

Can you do that with this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The worst possible choice in a kitchen is laminate because it just completely goes to poo poo on contact with water

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

c355n4 posted:

Can you do that with this thread?

yes just click on this little graph on the bottom

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You can just look at the little graph at the bottom now to scroll to the good bits of the videos.

There's also a great extension called SponsorBlock which will not only skip over a lot of garbage for you but often also includes a highlight you can skip to, usually whatever's being shown in the thumbnail.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Amphigory posted:

I mean, that sounds like the perfect choice for this build

Especially if he gets them cheap, with a good story

Only if it turns out 3/4 of the way through the install that they're ultralight stone-look Styrofoam blocks.

Leperflesh posted:

yes just click on this little graph on the bottom

Don't forget to click it again on long or particularly sketchy posts so you can see the aftermath of NJAN's colorful descriptions of his crimes.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Sorting out electrics through the wall of the plant room to the heatpump. Haven't got all the right bits, obviously.

Reusing that big ugly, faded cutoff switch that came with it from the previous install. Things like that, and how grotty some of the other bits are have me doubting the wheelchair lady that sold it to me that it had only been in situ and run for a few months before I bought it.

Parents are progressing with a lot of painting before their departure back to france next weekend.

Which is good as the electrician wants all the sockets and stuff on the walls before he comes back so he can get it all signed off in one go and he never has to come back again before he retires.

My mum has complained about the current setup where I've energized an oven socket to provide house power but its all hanging out the wall as being unsafe. These bits are going to be behind kitchen cabinets so dont need loads of coats of expensive paint so I can probably get them done properly now.

Hmmm quite alot to cram in here. With the 4mm wires and stuff.

Turns out its not the wires, these switch things have really deep back plastic bits and its hitting the plastic termination of the conduit coming in the back box

No amount of squashing is going to help. My dad helpfully informs me that I should have used a deeper backbox. Yes. great.

It'll just have to look like this for now.

Safer probably.

This one was pretty easy.

Nah actually I'll just hack away at that plastic bit with a knife until it fits.

job done. powered it back up and nothing exploded. Although I think that wago connector I've used in there is only really supposed to be for 2.5mm wire? It went in but...

Anyway another socket.

Theres quite a lot of space in here so I've used even bigger wagos, for up 6mm. Because I've got them. I haven't got any 4mm. I'll probably have to go and buy all the right ones and redo all of this. And I don't get many more done as all of the cutouts in the plaster are flaky and missing big chunks of plaster in various places so have put some filler on but need to wait a day for it to dry/sand/paint etc. eurgh

Moved the scaffolding and temp floor platform up and can get a better look at the ceiling. Still not much to see without the oak uncovered though.

Laid out some tile/stone samples on the floor to see how the thousands of pounds of floor might look?

Much the same as the concrete.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just get a concrete polishing thing and polish the concrete

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
That big room looks really good actually. Out of those stone samples I would probably pick the second from the bottom, the redder, warmer colour feels like it could balance out the white walls.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think dirt-colored floors never look clean and I would pick zero of those stone samples

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I guess if I ever decide to do my own plumbing

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

]
Laid out some tile/stone samples on the floor to see how the thousands of pounds of floor might look?

I'd probably lay them closer together.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just epoxy the floor in white.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Lino

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I think dirt-colored floors never look clean and I would pick zero of those stone samples

Dirt coloured floors never need cleaning, you mean? We have carpet in a few rooms, and the colour is deliberately close to the shade of spilt tea.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The cleaning part is irrelevant, he's building the house from There Will Come Soft Rains so a little robot will come clean up anything he spills in a matter of seconds.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The plants will grow better on a dirt floor, and eventually you won't be able to see the dirt

e. wrong room

stone tile seems like it would echo a lot, maybe a nice wall to wall shag carpet in one of those colors

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Dysgenesis posted:

I'd probably lay them closer together.

Gonna need at least... 10 times that many, too.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Darkest Auer posted:

The worst possible choice in a kitchen is laminate because it just completely goes to poo poo on contact with water
How about engineered stone and the accompanying silicosis?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How did you manage to get switches where on is down and off is up?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

y'know that did strike me as odd.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

That's quite normal in the UK.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol i guess so. I guess maybe it was because the light was at the top?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have the one in the living room installed upsidown so I can smack it with a plate to switch it off as I go past carrying stuff. It's one of those old-fashioned looking ones with a sticky out switch. An electrician commented on it once but didn't fix it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Eh, forget the stone and go with some cool Victorian tile: https://www.oldeenglishtiles.co.uk/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Eh, forget the stone and go with some cool Victorian tile: https://www.oldeenglishtiles.co.uk/

Is this one of those self punishing english things like stiff upper lip save the good flooring for the boys on the front lines etc?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

£254 a square metre. So like 18k for the living room/kitchen area.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Would be a shame to cover the foundation with something that cost less than it did.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Those are definitely kitchen tiles.

Save the patio slabs for the living room.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

aniviron posted:

Would be a shame to cover the foundation with something that cost less than it did.

Gold tiles it is then, with platinum for grout.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Matching the grout width to the gaps in the trim, smart design move.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the problem with the oversized wagos is eventually your wires might fall out

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
How much do wagos cost over in the UK anyway? As you might know they are very rarely used over in Canada.

I always say to myself that I'll use them the next time I have to wire something and then I end up using wire nuts again because they're like 5 cents each instead of the 35 cents (at best) per wago. They're often closer to a dollar per which is outrageous.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've also struggled with modern switches/plugs having way higher volume rears, making it tough to fit them into backboxes along with other cables. The old ones I was replacing were tiny in comparison even though they had the same function.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Matching the grout width to the gaps in the trim, smart design move.

god drat, you just made me spit out my earl gray tea.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Ha this exact thing happened to me last week, I was replacing an older switch with a dimmer, using wagos, and I had a hell of a time jamming it all back in the box. It was mostly the new switch's fault, the back was very chunky compared to the old one.

Fidelitious posted:

How much do wagos cost over in the UK anyway? As you might know they are very rarely used over in Canada.

I always say to myself that I'll use them the next time I have to wire something and then I end up using wire nuts again because they're like 5 cents each instead of the 35 cents (at best) per wago. They're often closer to a dollar per which is outrageous.

I just bought a big box of them, with different varieties. Probably worked out to over a dollar each but who cares, it's still the cheapest part of most electrical jobs and I'd rather have the peace of mind that I didn't screw up the wire nut connection. For the average DIYer they seem like the best option. If I were an electrician I might have a different opinion.

I foolishly bought them off Amazon, in the future I'm going to buy them off digikey. The prices look better and you're probably less likely to get counterfeits.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I used them at home the first time and it still feels like cheating. They are awesome for temporary power to a light fixture for example and don't destroy stranded wire like wire nuts.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

vanity slug posted:

the problem with the oversized wagos is eventually your wires might fall out

Not really, no.

quote:

Suitable for 0.5 - 6mm² Cables

If you buy installers boxes of 50 or 100 then you’ll get them for 0.40 each. And agreed they’re so easy and reliable it feels like cheating compared to terminal blocks.

That said I can’t see why you’re using them in the back of that double socket - the regular installation method is to jam the 2 Live and 2 neutral into the respective screw terminals.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Gold tiles it is then, with platinum for grout.
Gold tiles with silver soldered grout surely.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 13, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rapulum_Dei posted:

That said I can’t see why you’re using them in the back of that double socket - the regular installation method is to jam the 2 Live and 2 neutral into the respective screw terminals.

I don't like doing that. It feels wrong. Especially with these nice tidy Hager double sockets. On the back they have 4 connections, L, N and two earths. I dunno why they give you two earths if they mean for you to just stuff everything in single connectors?

It feels a lot nicer to collect all the various wires into appropriate wagos and then just T off individually to the socket back so everything gets it's own private hole to screw in.

I really liked the isolator switches, despite their bulky rears, as they had 6 slots. 3 labelled for supply in, and 3 for load out. It all comes crumbling down though when you link through to the lower cable out box below where it just gives you 3 big screws to mush the load wires from above and your oven (or for now temporary plugboard) wires in together. Although I suppose I could have used another set of wagos in there too? Getting a bit OTT though isn't it.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
In that case have you heard of

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Phwoar