Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk I think undead unluck is a weird example because it's just not very good at the start and that gatekeeps a lot of people that might have got into it otherwise. and csm doesn't even fit the criteria because, as you said, it was already popular

Yeah, a lot of people I know were suggesting it for ages and all of them did so with the caveat "okay it starts really horny but they retool it fast" and before I started it up I figured "I grew up on Takahashi sex comedies, I can handle this"

I was not ready. That dude is definitely drawing the dicks every time they have to add the censor bar. I can definitely see how a lot of people would not have been ready until someone painfully laid down some loving track to get that series going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jerkface posted:

One of the most egregious issues I have with the ending that I think probably also turbo-affected me is the epilogue is the idea that Zenitsu and Nezuko get married. loving gross. Very harry potter esque which is not a compliment

I’m 100% with you on this. When I read it I was all ”what the gently caress” :stonk:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

Zenitsu goes from the literal worst person in the world to a completely different character basically overnight which I feel like is absolutely the result of rushing.

I remember we got the backstory for one of the Hashira in like...ten pages? His family was basically part of some cult that was run by a snake demon that was agreed would have made a better Upper Moon than most of the ones we actually got.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nezuko spent the entire manga as more of a plot device than a character, so why would the ending treat her any better?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Demon Slayer absolutely got rushed to an ending. Something happened with Gotoge that caused them to need to move from Tokyo and there has been very little output from them compared to other successful mangaka after their series- particularly an insanely popular one like Demon Slayer.

I don't think it was ever confirmed what the deal was; it was speculated on by tabloids that it was a family matter.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://x.com/XBusiness/status/1757566794171117868?s=20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’ll also be on Crunchyroll for those who want to watch on a less terrible video player

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1758249932740293107

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That art style looks incredibly familiar but I don't think I've read any of their work

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sindai posted:

That art style looks incredibly familiar but I don't think I've read any of their work

Assistant of Horikoshi it seems, they also have had a couple of oneshots

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1753014634645254170

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There must be a trend going on with horror plant series because the Viz app just added a new-ish series, Fool Night, which is a post apocalypse series about people getting turned into plants after the sun has gone out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

There must be a trend going on with horror plant series because the Viz app just added a new-ish series, Fool Night, which is a post apocalypse series about people getting turned into plants after the sun has gone out.

Last of Us TV show and Last of Us 2 was pretty popular lol

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
New chapter of Astro Baby just dropped and this series is officially goated. This poo poo is the perfect amount of stupid loving nonsense that for some reason takes itself deadly serious.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

New chapter of Astro Baby just dropped and this series is officially goated. This poo poo is the perfect amount of stupid loving nonsense that for some reason takes itself deadly serious.

Yeah it's early but I'm on board with this nonsense 100%. Three straight chapters getting me confused and laughing but also into the mystery and plot that's going on. Series has hit the ground running.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I read Astro Baby solely off of those posts and holy hell

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ok, ok I will read Astro Baby, jeeez.
What the gently caress. :psyduck:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ok, ok I will read Astro Baby, jeeez.
What the gently caress. :psyduck:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuXCb3UAv8Y

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just subscribed to the Viz app (not to be confused with the Shonen Jump app). There’s an interesting array of older shojo and shonen stuff available. So far I’ve mostly been reading The Law of Ueki.

I like many of the weird turn-X-into-Y powers, like the main villain’s power to turn any inanimate object into the Platonic Form of that kind of object. The fights are generally clever; they do run into the “protagonist taking too many hits” problem to an extent, but for once we actually get an explanation for this eventually. It also has a really great secondary protagonist in Mori.

My biggest complaint is probably that Ueki’s recklessness gets obnoxious even by shonen manga standards at times, like when he declines the opportunity for healing or training breaks because he’s so mad at the villains that he just has to fight them now (sometimes resulting in a deus ex machina interrupting the fight to force him to take a healing/training break). The characterization of the villains can also get a bit rote; you’d think the premise would allow for a pretty wide variety of motivations, but they end up mostly being variations on people who think that true altruism doesn’t exist and/or that caring about others makes you weak.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I love Law of Ueki. I haven’t read the manga but the anime is great and I love the powers and the fights.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Black Stones posted:

I love Law of Ueki. I haven’t read the manga but the anime is great and I love the powers and the fights.

The main thing I remember about the anime is that it had a killer track that would play when the heroes got the upper hand in a fight, it still gets stuck in my head like fifteen years later

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Law of Ueki rocked.

I should also re-read Flame of Recca, haven't done that in a couple of years.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The author's previous series was pretty alright, so I'm onboard.

If you haven't read Soloist in the Cage, it's short and solid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An issue the Viz app has is some of their older stuff is based on how they were released in America and not how they originally came out. So you have Golgo 13 but it is just kind of random chapters. Similar to cooking manga Oishinbo A la Carte where the chapters were regrouped into dishes theming so character side plots are impossible to follow.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The fights in Law of Ueki are great, but I agree that I'm not really that hot on the MC and after a while the villains get boring.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fukuchi's main schtick is extremely silly super powers played completely straight. you'd think he would get tired of it after completing numerous manga with that theme, but he's still going.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The handwriting gag in this week's Witch Watch doesn't quite work in English. As for the new series, Dear Anemone, it kind of has a Hell's Paradise style what with the island full of monsters.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kinda worried about the Sakamoto Days author, chapter ripped as usual but 13 pages reminds me he hasn’t taken a lot of breaks, if any, which is wild for the level of quality he puts out

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Dear Anemone: Men will really go to the horrible death island instead of get therapy

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Undead Unluck: lol at God getting tired of PvP so they added PvE to shake things up.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

muscles like this! posted:

The handwriting gag in this week's Witch Watch doesn't quite work in English. As for the new series, Dear Anemone, it kind of has a Hell's Paradise style what with the island full of monsters.

Hell's Paradise meets Annihilation was my first thought

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Dear Anemone: Men will really go to the horrible death island instead of get therapy
He's getting a hot dryad waifu out of the bargain. Let this kid cook

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess Astro Baby is going for a Parasyte vibe

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
In that case I’m excited for the author’s eventual historical manga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Undead Unluck: lol at God getting tired of PvP so they added PvE to shake things up.

I really like the sheer oddity of the UU universe. "God created a world and mankind and then just kept tossing poo poo on it exclusively to see how humans would respond" and the fact it is constantly being built, changed and unbuilt is just neat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davedave24 posted:

Hell's Paradise meets Annihilation was my first thought

One thing that bugged me?

The first mook being immune to bullets.

One tool for Shonen is scaling. That is, having the readers feel like things are ramping up as they go so the tension stays high even when the heroes get stronger.

The problem with scaling, demonstrated most famously with DBZ, is that it can lose all anchoring to reality fast. One guy blows up a planet, the next guy being able to blow up a galaxy doesn't feel like more of a threat. It's just more numbers that mean nothing. (GT had a guy a million billion times stronger than the universal thread of Buu... blow up part of an amusement park. Really impressed viewers, I'm sure.)

Guns are a great way to slow this since they're something the reader knows. The first time a foe just shrugs off machinegun fire is one of the big moments of "Crap, these guys are really strong!" you have access to. Throwing it away on a chapter 1 nobody means that you're already pretty deep in shonen power creep early, and makes it harder to avoid it getting bad later.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Demon King Exchange!!: Hmm, not sure where this is gonna go. Either this is now in the end game or we're about to meet the main villian of the series. Could go either way

Jiangshi X: lol what a loving asspull to end the series on

Akane-banashi: what a great chapter

Hope You're Happy, Lemon!: I think the art is getting worse now

Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: man I am not used to a gag manga having good art

Navigatoria: I thought this was gonna be a gag manga at first blush, but it's not. I'm actually pretty interested to see where this goes

Dear Anemone: the art's nice, but the first chapter didn't do much to grab me

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dexo posted:

Last of Us TV show and Last of Us 2 was pretty popular lol

Oh that makes sense. I was also wondering why that's the hot new manga trend. But so far all of them are pretty bleh and just seem to be [older popular series] but with plants.

Dear Anemone is giving me Hell's Paradise vibes.
Wild Strawberry is any number of "protag gets thrown into a semi-hidden but longstanding battle and there's a secret sword club fighting it." but mostly Demon Slayer.
Fool Night is at least doing a more unique thing, but it's also halfway to seinen with the early subject matter and depiction of the world.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I finished The Law of Ueki. It stuck the landing quite well; I liked that it avoided making the final battle too long the way long-running shonen manga often do.

Next up: Flame of Recca. So far several things stick out about it (not necessarily in a bad or good way). First, this has a noticeably old-fashioned art style; not surprising, as it started 6 years before The Law of Ueki. Second, most of the main cast come across as the sort of weirdos who would normally be side characters. Third (and maybe this seems more striking than it otherwise would be because I’m reading this right after The Law of Ueki), the characters so far seem to have very generic powers; most of them just control a classical element.

I just got through a fight that made me laugh, because it’s almost literally the exact shonen manga fight I made up as a joke: https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/cliches-you-cant-stand.13604/page-660?post=25282449#post-25282449

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It is from like 95.

It is however very very Shonen lol.

I recommend giving it to around volume 5 or 6 it's when the art starts turning around. And after the first major arc.

It's also very very inspired by YYH, but it's fun. It is very much carried by art and characters as it goes on.

Shout out to Domon, Joker and Raiha

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 19, 2024