Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm glad that the team that knocked the Lions out was defeated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

my suruga-ya orders arrived today, dodged tariffs on both the shirt and the sweater which was a surprise because I got dinged $20 CAD on a $55 board game the first time I ordered from them last month

my experience with places like book-off, mandarake, & others has consistently been that japanese secondhand stuff is immaculate, but oddly enough the three things I’ve purchased from suruga-ya seem to be brand new

I haven’t opened the box on this isobeyan shirt yet because the packaging cute as hell… idk who would clock the reference outside of a con or a comic festival so I’ll probably wait until one of those to crack it

conversely I’ll probably end up wearing this frieren sweatshirt this week sometime. a little disappointing that it’s a heat transfer and that the good design is on the back but a decent result as far as [no image] roulette goes and hey. official frieren merch

¥875 for the dedede shirt and ¥2200 for the frieren sweater delivered within a week with no tariffs to canada were both steals though. would highly recommend this site.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sakurazuka posted:

Much in common with the deaf girl show love interest

you're deaf??? that seems...crappy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Surugu-ya is amazing for model kits because yeah, it's second hand, but it's clearly just people selling off their backlog that they've never touched

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*sigh*

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Man not drinking rules I can't remember the last time I had 600 bucks in the bank

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

verbal enema posted:

Man not drinking rules I can't remember the last time I had 600 bucks in the bank

blessed post

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reminds me of that anti-smoking method of taking the money you'd spend on smokes and putting it in a binder, and after a year you'll have thousands of dollars in there and also be a lot healthier

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

verbal enema posted:

hell yeah dude

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

omedetou to spongebobs vtuber debut at the superbowl

copy
Jul 26, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Ohtori Akio posted:

blessed post

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Gonna do this, thanks.

:cheers:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

verbal enema posted:

:hellyeah:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

homeless snail posted:

omedetou to spongebobs vtuber debut at the superbowl

They've already been doing the SpongeBob vtuber thing for a while now

Fake SpongeBob vtubing fan

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Anyone have an idea what the issue with the Lovely Complex Discotek dub is? They put out a statement apologizing for something someone said but I have no idea what the issue even is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Black Stones posted:

Anyone have an idea what the issue with the Lovely Complex Discotek dub is? They put out a statement apologizing for something someone said but I have no idea what the issue even is.

EDIT: I removed the Twitter thread I originally had posted here because the user is a nutjob. I found a web archive link to Jello Apocalypse's original message that set this whole shitstorm off. Better to read it than read the angry Twitter mob. TLDR Jello Apocalypse wrote the Lovely Complex dub, made disparaging comments about the original script and was generally unprofessional in their communications so Discotek has cut ties with him.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240211065805/patreon.com/posts/98245655

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 12, 2024

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol weird

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is the guy who made an animated series that wasn't even animated, so par for the course.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

*struggling to think of what series that would be. failing and instead thinking about inferno cop* inferno cop was cool

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jello Apocalypse

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

copy posted:

*struggling to think of what series that would be. failing and instead thinking about inferno cop* inferno cop was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yio2JNgQKBM

It's much less cool when it's trying to take itself seriously

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not really surprising, I've watched a fair amount of his stuff and the stream vods are the worst offenders but even plenty of edited content will have ranting/dumping on something and real fluffing of himself or his friends.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kild posted:

it's kinda like PSO2 with a single player

it's funny because its what, 20 characters all have more mechanical depth than pso2ngs weapons

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

verbal enema posted:

:hfive:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/Scratch_Point_Z/status/1757046901084729455?t=SvKFvwcvXkGljGBhfnp1YA&s=19

Jello Apocalypse wrote the English dub script and went on a tear slagging off the original Japanese script. Generally unprofessional behaviour.

if i hated the thing i was working on dubbing this much i would just quit the project instead of using it as some lame attempt to "claim" a 2000s romcom anime with dated writing. going this route always just feels dishonest to me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
however the person who tweeted this out seems insane so perhaps don't post them as a source in the future

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

it's tricky because this is a topic where even the most egregiously bad poo poo is generally going to receive focus mostly from people who aren't trustworthy and don't know what they're talking about.

This situation seems bad, but people who post anti-localization takes are almost always insane

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Colonel posted:

however the person who tweeted this out seems insane so perhaps don't post them as a source in the future

Agreed, I read the rest of the thread and they seem kinda ehhhhhh. The images from the deleted article say enough about JA's work.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Never know how seriously to take the anti-loc freaks but I do hope there's not a lasting negative effect on Discotek from a couple people being loud, awful idiots.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ultimately it mostly just seems like this was the result of all parties involved cheaping out hard and not actually handling the dub through any particular professional channels since the thing they make note of is that absolutely everyone they got was everyone they could get to work on it either for free or for minimal pay

it is bizarre to me though how much "sensitivity readers" are a thing. you had 20 trans and nb people working on your voice cast and you still felt like you had to go to paid professionals on telling you if your script might theoretically make someone mad? you had human beings with life experience on the thing you were writing about right there man

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I really don't want to become a coffee marisa but it looks like it might be heading that way

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Coffee Marisa

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/Scratch_Point_Z/status/1757046901084729455?t=SvKFvwcvXkGljGBhfnp1YA&s=19

Jello Apocalypse wrote the English dub script and went on a tear slagging off the original Japanese script. Generally unprofessional behaviour.

Edit: it should be pointed out that this particular tweet chain is a bit crazy, but it does contained screenshots of Jello Apocalypse's now-deleted article that precipitated the issue with Discotek.
can you post the images, I can't view them because ~rate limited~

Sucks to hear about jello apocalypse, I liked their little animated "so this is basically" shorts for like, rwby and pokemon and stuff. But that was years and years ago, plenty of time for them to lose their minds in the meantime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sleng Teng posted:

Coffe Marisa
that's my favorite touhou

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Edit: it should be pointed out that this particular tweet chain is a bit crazy, but it does contained screenshots of Jello Apocalypse's now-deleted article that precipitated the issue with Discotek.

lovely complex ftw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

lovely complex ftw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Invictus posted:

can you post the images, I can't view them because ~rate limited~

Sucks to hear about jello apocalypse, I liked their little animated "so this is basically" shorts for like, rwby and pokemon and stuff. But that was years and years ago, plenty of time for them to lose their minds in the meantime

https://web.archive.org/web/20240211065805/patreon.com/posts/98245655

Here's a web archive capture of JA's original message for people who aren't on Twitter and don't want to read terminally online crazies.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

isn't lovely complex like 20 years old did it Just get a dub

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That sounds nothing like the Lovely Complex I remember watching

To be fair I can't actually remember anything about it at all so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lmao holy poo poo

going straight from 'improving the work' to just actively insulting the original mangaka what the hell