Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nice, just got the set myself then. It’s been so long since I’ve seen predator 2 so that will be fun also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

Edward Mass posted:

There wasn't any HDR, that was the issue.

lol oh right, i got that one replaced way back when but honestly preferred the sdr presentation anyway

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah I’ve got both discs and enjoyed either presentation.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i bought Howard The loving Duck in 4K because it was $10 at the shop and the thought of owning that piece of poo poo on a 4K blu-ray was too funny to pass up. god help me

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

barnold posted:

i bought Howard The loving Duck in 4K because it was $10 at the shop and the thought of owning that piece of poo poo on a 4K blu-ray was too funny to pass up. god help me

That shop bought it from best buy a couple months ago for $6* and made $4 off you. You have been forsaken

*and so did i

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

My VinSyn Southern Comfort 4K arrived this afternoon.

It's bloody gorgeous is what it is.

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/southern-comfort

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The fackin Depahted 4K steelbook is up at AMZ

https://www.amazon.com/The-Departed-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B0CV95N52L

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Weird Steelbook pricing is ridiculous:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weird-The-Al-Yankovic-Story-Limited-Edition-Steelbook-4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray/5212591204

I thought for sure $39.98 was going to be a placeholder. They must think Weird Al fans are suckers who will buy anything no matter the price (they're right :shepspends:).

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Boinks posted:

The Weird Steelbook pricing is ridiculous:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weird-The-Al-Yankovic-Story-Limited-Edition-Steelbook-4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray/5212591204

I thought for sure $39.98 was going to be a placeholder. They must think Weird Al fans are suckers who will buy anything no matter the price (they're right :shepspends:).

I am so happy this was announced AFTER I bought the regular Shout Factory 4K. I did not need to spend an additional $20 on a Roku Channel Original Film.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, it was cute. I’m glad I could support Al on some way. But I will drop $60 on some dumb loving UHF UHD in a heartbeat.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, it was cute. I’m glad I could support Al on some way. But I will drop $60 on some dumb loving UHF UHD in a heartbeat.

I'd pay a lot for a nice UHF UHD with maybe a few special features. If I hadn't just paid more than I really wanted to on the Paprika 4k along with having other releases coming out in the next few months I'd probably grab that Weird steelbook.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I went back to the comic shop with the free VHSs to get another free VHS, and it turned out they also had a ton of old person movies on DVD for 3 bucks each, so I grabbed some of the ones with actors I recognized.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/ajyeend/status/1757470678893441233?s=46
Sad. I’d like to have all of Yorgos’ work on 4K (and All of Us Strangers too)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gripweed posted:

I went back to the comic shop with the free VHSs to get another free VHS, and it turned out they also had a ton of old person movies on DVD for 3 bucks each, so I grabbed some of the ones with actors I recognized.

You're "On the Cruise" Luffy style, and have turtle power. This is good. No Way Out looks entertaining.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Radiance announced their next releases

Trenque Lauquen

Planet of the Vampires restoration supervised by Lamberto Bava and supported by Nicolas Winding Refn

Shinobi trilogy (Band of Assassins, Revenge and Resurrection)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

Radiance announced their next releases

Trenque Lauquen

Planet of the Vampires restoration supervised by Lamberto Bava and supported by Nicolas Winding Refn

I have never heard of these but those are some great covers

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Planet of the Vampires is rad and I've been one of its big fans ever since my dad showed it to me over a decade ago. Nothing special story-wise but among Mario Bava's most visually impressive works, and I think seeing that outside of a giallo format is really what helped push me over the top to him being one of my fav directors ever; in '65 he was able to make a cheesy scifi thing stand out with its colors and shadows

Writer Dan O'Bannon admitted it influenced him for Alien; others have said it was obviously on the mind when Ridley Scott made Prometheus

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Planet of the Vampires is top-tier classic sci-fi. If you like sci-fi and also enjoy Mario Bava's visual style, it's an all-time great combination. I've been meaning to add it to my collection for years, I actually need more Bava in general, all I have is Black Sunday and Blood & Black Lace.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I actually need more Bava in general, all I have is Black Sunday and Blood & Black Lace.

Hatchet for the Honeymoon is one I always recommend. Delightfully unhinged, and a rare giallo where you start the film knowing the killer and he's the one trying to solve a mystery

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris James 2 posted:

Hatchet for the Honeymoon is one I always recommend. Delightfully unhinged, and a rare giallo where you start the film knowing the killer and he's the one trying to solve a mystery

One of my favorites that I need to own on blu ray at some point is Kill Baby Kill.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That’s an incredible cover for Planet of the Vampires, god drat

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Little disappointed it's not a uhd, but still a must buy for me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the first Bava UHD would be exciting. I'd probably upgrade my Blood and Black Lace to a UHD if I had the option. Bava's lighting was made for HDR/Dolby Vision.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

dorium posted:

https://x.com/ajyeend/status/1757470678893441233?s=46
Sad. I’d like to have all of Yorgos’ work on 4K (and All of Us Strangers too)

Too bad for Fox/Disney that there aren’t these companies that will work for them to release these films on 4k.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Gripweed posted:

No Way Out is fantastic

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

pwn posted:

That shop bought it from best buy a couple months ago for $6* and made $4 off you. You have been forsaken

*and so did i

all the interesting discs were always "in-store only" from best buy and my local one never had anything good. oh well

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1758220247612506373?s=20

Day 1 for 11

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I was happy to see an individual release for 11, I really have no interest in the other two.

Also, looks like Severin is doing a UHD for The Church. Same director as Cemetery Man.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

Too bad for Fox/Disney that there aren’t these companies that will work for them to release these films on 4k.

Really cool how Bob Iger turned out to be full of poo poo when he expressed interest in licensing and physical media. Meanwhile, every single major studio is working consistently with at least 3-4 boutiques. With Warner having their own Warner Archive, which is sort of their own Kino Lorber level label.

It's really telling when Paramount, who has been historically picky about licensing is now eagerly working with Vinegar Syndrome, while also releasing a lot on their own.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm interested in the grey area of what Disney would be willing to put on Ultra HD. Dare I hold out for the X-Files movie?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Criterion May releases look sick (positive)

Anatomy of a Fall
Girlfight
Peeping Tom
Floating Weeds and A Story of Floating Weeds: Two Films by Yasujiro Ozu
Emitai, Xala and Ceddo: Three Revolutionary Films by Ousmane Sembene

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Floating Weeds gently caress yes. This essay piqued my interest a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ra0xEQ8yaU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

I'm interested in the grey area of what Disney would be willing to put on Ultra HD. Dare I hold out for the X-Files movie?

There's a ton of 20th Century Fox titles with completed 4K remasters or restorations that are ready to go for UHD. Patton, The Sound of Music, the entire Planet of the Apes series, Zardoz, etc.

Also 4K masters are ready for The Sixth Sense, The Muppet Movie, The Sword in the Stone, The Great Muppet Caper, Willow, The Black Cauldron, and Ransom. Probably more, but that's what's known.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I'd love to see a 4k release of Zardoz, especially since there doesn't seem to be an in-print US Blu-ray.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

God I wish a Barton Fink 4K was in the cards. I really want boutique releases of The King of Comedy, Napoleon Dynamite, and The Hustler as well. Shame!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I bought the Muppets Take Manhattan for the express purpose of supporting any future Muppet movie releases in 4K even if its not my favorite muppet movie.

it had to be done :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Also, looks like Severin is doing a UHD for The Church. Same director as Cemetery Man.

This came out at the same time. The movie is fantastic if you haven't seen it

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Egbert Souse posted:

There's a ton of 20th Century Fox titles with completed 4K remasters or restorations that are ready to go for UHD. Patton, The Sound of Music, the entire Planet of the Apes series, Zardoz, etc.

Also 4K masters are ready for The Sixth Sense, The Muppet Movie, The Sword in the Stone, The Great Muppet Caper, Willow, The Black Cauldron, and Ransom. Probably more, but that's what's known.

I was more talking about if the X-Files movie would be something Disney would PUT on Ultra HD Blu-ray. It’s in the weird grey area of blockbusterdom.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
For some reason I strongly believe that Arrow is going to do one of their fancy chipboard case UHD releases of the movie Secretary soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I got the Criterion Channel Razzie thing confused with their disc releases. For a moment I was the happiest person alive thinking they were going to give Freddy Got Fingered the Criterion treatment.